Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Reality can change. The question is: does Matty want us to pay sky-high prices for these figures on Ebay, or to buy from them?
    The answer is yes, go elsewhere for them. How many times and how many different ways do they have to say this before people stop asking. There is more than just Ebay to get them from but that seems to be what people are fixated on. It's like me getting PO'd because Harbro won't re-issue Darth Revan even though he is expensive on the secondary market. If I get into a line late that is the what I am going to have to deal with trying to fill the holes.

Everyones solution to trying to get something older, expensive, sold out or unproduced with this line is "do a pre-order". It's kinda getting old.

I don't recall anyone getting upset about this. It's a reasonable suggestion which makes a lot of sense. If the posts annoy you, ignore them. Then, when Matty decides to try the suggestion, no one will force you to buy!

I don't recall anyone getting upset about this. It's a reasonable suggestion which makes a lot of sense. If the posts annoy you, ignore them. Then, when Matty decides to try the suggestion, no one will force you to buy!
    I never said it annoys me, I just said it's getting old. I never get emotional when it comes to toys. I mean, why would you, they are just...toys. But for people to keep asking the same question over, and over, and over, and over and then expect a different result.......

Put together the top 6 most expensive figures and I bet we could get a crapload of people willing to sign up for a subscription for them! I think that's the key - no cherry picking. Everyone who signs up buys all 6.

Teela
    Fisto
    Sorceress
    Beast Man
    Whiplash?
    Who else goes for over $100?
    I've been thinking this too. Perhaps Tri-Klops? Scare Glow?
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Scare Glow might be up there. He hovers around $50-$60. Although I'd be all for this idea if it could work, the problem is to do a new run they might need a minimum of 3000-5000 people to sign up for the sub as factor MOQ's are pretty high. Do you think that many people still need these figures? The typical Ebay auction for someone like Fisto might have 4 or 5 individual bidders. So it doesn't seem like the demand is really there.

I love how scott says Scorpia was never planned for any specific year and they would love to get to her one day, BUT during the 2013 Subscription sign up period scott posted this in ask matty

Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

posted July 24, 2012 02:46 PM
    A list figs would be all the vintage MOTU figs and the main POP, filmation and NA characters. The obvious ones (Glimmer, Angella, Mermissta, Cataspella, Flogg, Hydron, Scorpia, Shakoti, Icer, Strongarm, Lizard man, etc...) All figs we will try to get to before end of 2014 if we can get the min 2013 sold in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Well I guess the Horsemen weren't able to get that handle onto the Staff of Avion for Stratos...
    nope it looks that way, but i'm not bummed out over this i'll just use a small clear rubber band that comes with figures to secure the Staff of Avion to Stratos hand.

If Scorpia is coming, then Scott would say exactly that to throw us off. She could easily be in this year's two subs.

I wish there was some way to accurately gauge the interest in Filmation characters. From what I see here, the majority don't want the Filmation stuff. So Scorpia would likely be something that could be put in the Filmation as Sub-Only with not too much backlash, right?

A fan, not a nostalgic
    Reality can change. The question is: does Matty want us to pay sky-high prices for these figures on Ebay, or to buy from them?
    Maybe it's Matty itself that puts those figures for sale on Ebay after pretending that they are sold out, so people will pay more money!

"Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

A list figs would be all the vintage MOTU figs and the main POP, filmation and NA characters. The obvious ones (Glimmer, Angella, Mermissta, Cataspella, Flogg, Hydron, Scorpia, Shakoti, Icer, Strongarm, Lizard man, etc...) All figs we will try to get to before end of 2014 if we can get the min 2013 sold in."

Doesn't the word 'Try' mean that he try to get them in but they may also not make the cut.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    "Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

A list figs would be all the vintage MOTU figs and the main POP, filmation and NA characters. The obvious ones (Glimmer, Angella, Mermissta, Cataspella, Flogg, Hydron, Scorpia, Shakoti, Icer, Strongarm, Lizard man, etc...) All figs we will try to get to before end of 2014 if we can get the min 2013 sold in."

Doesn't the word 'Try' mean that he try to get them in but they may also not make the cut.
    But he's completely denying that he said anything about Scorpia at all, which he did.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Scott is going to deny anything that hasn't been officially announced yet. Scorpia could very well be coming in late 2013 or 2014, but he's not going to give anything away until the official reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I wish there was some way to accurately gauge the interest in Filmation characters. From what I see here, the majority don't want the Filmation stuff. So Scorpia would likely be something that could be put in the Filmation as Sub-Only with not too much backlash, right?
    Actually a majority of .Orgers (at least according to the He-man.org end of year poll) do want the Filmation characters. It was around 65% said they want a Filmation Subscription. I think that Scorpia is in the same category as Shadow Weaver and would guess her wanted level in the 80-85% level.

And anyone that thought we would have ALL the vintage He-man and She-ra figures plus key filmation and New Adventures characters by the end of 2014, probably didn't think it all the way through. Mattel would have to crank out 3+ figures a month to do all that.

Vintage MOTU alone (As of now) has 22 figures needed.
    1. Rio-Blast
    2. Extendar
    3. Rokkon
    4. Stonedar
    5. Gwildor
    6. Blast Attack
    7. Modulok
    8. Tongue Lashor
    9. Saurod
    10. Blade
    11. Multi-bot
    12. Dragstor
    13. Rotar
    14. Twistoid
    15. Flying Fists He-man
    16. Terror Claws Skeletor
    17. Buzzsaw Hordak
    18. Horde Trooper
    19. Laser Light Skeletor
    20. Laser Power He-man
    21. Ninjor
    22. Squeeze

Add in at the time this was being talked about Clamp Champ and Mantenna weren't announced. So in 20 months (May-December 2013 + 2014) 24 figures. It needs to go into 2015 to grab She-ra and NA and 200x and Filmation. It probably really needs to go until 2016 to make sure we COMPLETE the vintage He-man and She-ra lines. Yeah Scott was being misleading, but I knew at least one or two of my favorites (Rio Blast, Extendar, Rokkon and Stonedar) wouldn't be made by the end of 2014.

Sub for reissues

Has there ever been a conversation about creating a sub for just reissues? You could hold a poll to determine the most requested figures for re-issue and once that poll closes you could offer a sub up for sale that would include the six or eight top voted figures, maybe more or less depending on production costs. If you get the minimum sub orders needed to be financially feasible you move forward. If not, much like Superboy and Ms. Martian, you cancel the sub, explaining that despite the vocalism of some fans the demand in the marketplace is not there for the re-issued figures. With characters like Teela, the Sorceress and Fisto garnering over a hundred dollars on the secondary market, a re-issue sub might not only quell the more vocal fans, but also help to bring in new collectors to the line who have stayed away at this point due to the heavy cost associated with getting many of the core characters who are unavaible outsided of the secondary market. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to this question.

While this seems like a good idea on paper, we tried over 2 years of reissues and no one but He-Man came close to hitting the quota we needed to to justify a second run. For that reason we won't be doing reissues
    even with a sub or preorder past Man-E-Faces.

While their are very vocal fans online asking for this and prices are high on a few figs on the secondary market, at this time their are no plans for additional second runs in any form.
    Its sad they dont even want to try..There would be virtually zero tool because these mold are made, They know exactly how much each piece to cast costs. I'd love to see someone make a poll for this. I they could even do more 2-packs vs. DC and sell them online. If there afraid reissues wont sell.

Will the trap door

Will the throne be able to swivel to activate the trap door? Or it is a manual thing

Too early to be certain how the door will work, but I don't believe it will be activated by the throne. That would be a lot of tooling for the mechanism.
    eugh! I'm so sick of beating a dead horse but an off centered lever is like 2nd grade engineering. They can cast a massive piece of plastic in the center of the castle that no one wants (wind raider stand) but not a lever. Actually wasn't the original like a rubberband ?
    Last edited by seth-man; March 6, 2013 at 01:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by seth-man View Post
    eugh! I'm so sick of beating a dead horse but an off centered lever is like 2nd grade engineering. They can cast a massive piece of plastic in the center of the castle that no one wants (wind raider stand) but not a lever. Actually wasn't the original like a rubberband ?
    No, the original was a one piece mechanism made out of plastic that the door pushed via groove to slide it out of place. I remember it well because I had to fix it a few times as a kid!

Scorpia will be quarter one 2014 for sure. She's one the MOST demanded characters left so she will help sell the sub AND she is probably the easiest tool of the most demanded characters (so she will help to pay for the unique tool in Q1 such as Modulok etc...)

I think we will definately get Glimmer, Two-Bad and Scorpia for sure in the first quarter, otherwise the sub will struggle again...
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I love how scott says Scorpia was never planned for any specific year and they would love to get to her one day, BUT during the 2013 Subscription sign up period scott posted this in ask matty

Toyguru
    Collector Supreme

A list figs would be all the vintage MOTU figs and the main POP, filmation and NA characters. The obvious ones (Glimmer, Angella, Mermissta, Cataspella, Flogg, Hydron, Scorpia, Shakoti, Icer, Strongarm, Lizard man, etc...) All figs we will try to get to before end of 2014 if we can get the min 2013 sold in.
    The earlier comment may well be true; Scorpia, bieng a filmation character, was not part of their original roadmap, so she wasn't lanned for any particular year becuase she couldn't be made. Once they got the Filmation rights, everything changed, but we don't know how specific those changes were. And the road map is gone after this year, anyway, if we do get a 2014 sub. This is what TG is talking about in the quote from 2012.

I jack TG up when he mistates things, but in this case I don't really see a contradiction. Things changed when they got the filmation license anf again last year when the sub panic set in. Now, TG did some fancy dancing and major backtracking about the 2014 sub (if it happens) after the 2013 sub went through, but this was not part of that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Scorpia will be quarter one 2014 for sure. She's one the MOST demanded characters left so she will help sell the sub AND she is probably the easiest tool of the most demanded characters (so she will help to pay for the unique tool in Q1 such as Modulok etc...)

I think we will definitely get Glimmer, Two-Bad and Scorpia for sure in the first quarter, otherwise the sub will struggle again...
    I think Mattel might announce a 12 figure Filmation sub for 2014. Scorpia and Madame Razz (she's probably the exclusive) might help sell that. I think they'll keep the Filmation characters confined to the Filmation sub because of the hardcore vintage fans.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think Mattel might announce a 12 figure Filmation sub for 2014. Scorpia and Madame Razz (she's probably the exclusive) might help sell that. I think they'll keep the Filmation characters confined to the Filmation sub because of the hardcore vintage fans.
    I think you're right about the Filmation sub for next year. I feel kind of unenthusiastic because there are so many characters from other media and potential eras that would be great as figures. So now I will buy everything as usual in the slightest hope to get more than just the A-Listers. I personally want Dare and some supporting cast, Snake Armor He-Man, more beasts and Prahvus this kicks the bucket. But in the meantime I will, like others, be accumulating several figures that are much further down my want list.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The earlier comment may well be true; Scorpia, bieng a filmation character, was not part of their original roadmap, so she wasn't lanned for any particular year becuase she couldn't be made. Once they got the Filmation rights, everything changed, but we don't know how specific those changes were. And the road map is gone after this year, anyway, if we do get a 2014 sub. This is what TG is talking about in the quote from 2012.

I jack TG up when he mistates things, but in this case I don't really see a contradiction. Things changed when they got the filmation license anf again last year when the sub panic set in. Now, TG did some fancy dancing and major backtracking about the 2014 sub (if it happens) after the 2013 sub went through, but this was not part of that.
    I hate to correct you but Mattel got the filmation rights in 2011 shown at SDCC for the 2012 sub sign up and shadow weaver was the exclusive. Now fast forward to july 2012 when the 2013 sub was up for sale scott stated the road map was tossed out and he would concentrate on getting out Vintage MOTU, POP & filmation characters by end of 2014 and he mentioned specifically Glimmer, angella, Mermista, Scorpia, Strongarm Icer & shokoti. Now he said several times Scorpia was locked for 2014 should we get a 2014 sub . Then in ask matty he dismisses it saying scorpia was never slated for any particular year and someone found his 2012 post stating he would try to get scorpia out by end of 2014.

Scott needs to learn to stop saying one thing to the fanbase and then acting like he never said it. This is why fans get upset with him. Now if he is delivering Scopia in 2013 early and wants to surprize us thats fine but he could have said things better than he did or if his new 2014 /2015 road map has Scorpia in it but he won't commit to which year again he never shouldn't have made the statements he did in 2012 about Scorpia being in the 2014 line should we get one.
    Last edited by mjw41; March 6, 2013 at 04:52pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I hate to correct you but you are wrong. Mattel got the filmation rights in 2011 shown at SDCC for the 2012 sub sign up and shadow weaver was the exclusive. Now fas forward to july 2012 when the 2013 sub was up for sale scott stated the road map was tossed out and he would concentrate on getting out Vintage MOTU, POP & filmation characters by end of 2014 and he mentioned specifically Glimmer, angella, Mermista, Scorpia, Strongarm Icer & shokoti. Now he said several times Scorpia was locked for 2014 should we get a 2014 sub . Then in ask matty he dismisses it saying scorpia was never slated for any particular year and someone found his post stating he would try to get scorpia out by end of 2014. Scott needs to learn to stop saying one thing and then acting like he never said it.
    Well I don't remember any figure being "locked" in with the exception of Faceless One and now Geldor, while Scott has said he would like to get to her. And no sense complaining about her if indeed he did state she would be here by the end of 2014? until the end of 2014 is announced or here and no Scorpia shows up.

Once upon a time, Nocturna was a lock for 2015. But I doubt that's the case any longer...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Once upon a time, Nocturna was a lock for 2015. But I doubt that's the case any longer...
    Yep I remember him pulling out the roadmap on RGD (have no idea which episode?), but now that that roadmap has been scrapped she may not be made ever. But I can't wait to see this become an issue down the line as seemingly some people like to disect everything Scott says or writes like it's a contract

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    But why keep asking reissue questions? They have stated they are done because of all the leftover stock from previous reissues doesn't matter which character it was previously, and the fact that fans think Scott makes these decisions all on his own baffle me. They have found they can't sell the numbers they need to reissue figures with the lone exception of He-Man, while they may sold some reissue figures they were obviously being stuck with large quantities of these that were not selling. They have simply decided that paying to warehouse these, sell them at a reduced price possibly a loss, or giving them away isn't worth it.
    Before answering your question, let me post my question which was supposed to be answered by Scott :-

Question : “We Tried Over 2 Years Of Reissues” – Fair Statement Scott ???

For the record, yes ! You’ve done reissues for 2 years, but what I want you ask is, Are they “Fan Demanded” ????

OK… Let’s keep Sorceress & Fisto aside on this issue. But back in 2010 & 2011, when we fans were clearly looking for the reissues of Scare Glow, Teela ETC, all we got was Keldor, Clawful, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone & heck, we even got the reissues of reverse shoulder figures like King Hiss & Roboto ! Now, ALL of these reissues were chosen by yourself & NOT by the fans. Worse part was, all of these reissues were sold in about 5-9 months of their original release !

The truth is, the reissues never really worked because of poor figure selection by Mattel ! Had you asked the fans (back in time), their top choices would have been figures like Teela & Scare Glow ETC !!

Answer (By Catra's Wrath) : The trouble is to justify putting a figure back on the line the demand would have to be very high, a couple of hundred wouldn't justify the production costs involved. At this point, whilst there are still collectors who need Teela and Fisto, it's unlikely there's anywhere near enough to cover the costs of putting the figure back into production, so the secondary market really is the best bet.

----------------------

Now, if you read my question, it wasn’t about “Asking Reissues” OR “Reissue Pre-Order” OR “Reissue SUB” ! So the answer given by Catra’s Wrath is technically wrong. Heck, I also mentioned in my question that I am keeping Sorceress & Fisto “away” form this issue !!

My question was about how the reissues were poorly planned & executed & why they never really worked out well ! Let’s face it, Back in 2010 & 2011, Mattel OR Scott never asked the fans which reissues they want. Instead of asking on the much demanded rereleases, some “genius” at Mattel (may be Scott ?? I am not sure) thought “Ok…… let’s make reissues for Buzz-Off, Clawful, Faceless One, Hurricane Hordak, Gygor ETC. BTW, it doesn’t matter if the figures like King Hiss & Roboto have reverse shoulders, let us give a second run for these too. Oh yeah……. This will be a smart move even though they were originally released only before 6-8 months ago” was a bravo of a thing !

And now they are “blaming” the fans for reissues failure ! How fare is that ???

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    and the fact that fans think Scott makes these decisions all on his own baffle me.
    As a brand manager of this line, HE is responsible for these “horrid” decisions !

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    So according to Scott now, the 4H make all the decisions for articulation based upon they're "unarticulated sculpt" as he's called it. So articulation decisions are up to the horsemen and final sculpting and colours is left to design to make the figures pop. Sounds bass ackwards to me.
    If the design can change Stinkor’s arm to make them pop, why not try their hands on these boot cut articulations ? Smart move Ruben ! Now give us a Snake Face staff in slightly different green in the upcoming Weapons Pak !!

Quote Originally Posted by Space-Man View Post
    All 3 for me please . It would be nice if they gave a preorder a shot. All 3 go for a minimum of $100 on the current market. At least w/ Sorceress, we have the TOD version. But Teela is essential, and Fisto is just epic. Plus, it's my understanding some subbers didn't even get a Fisto.
    Sorry to spoil your party man…… It Ain’t Gonna Happen For Sure! Nothing is going to change as far as reissues (& Castle Grayskull) is concerned ! You are hitting a dead horse here !!
    Last edited by TUC138; March 6, 2013 at 06:00pm.
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Some new answers are up!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)