Thread: Linux computer getting slower

Linux computer getting slower

My computer is getting slow. It wasn't this slow in the past

I hear the hard drive working at times when it probably should not be. Here is the output of the free command (although this varies).

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 432 428 4 0 7 96
    -/+ buffers/cache: 323 109
    Swap: 445 190 255

If I read this right, I have only 4 megabytes of free memory. I ordered an additional gigabyte of RAM (hopefully, the right kind) a few days ago. It hasn't arrived yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is getting so slow? Is this maybe something typical with Ubuntu?

Because you have no more memory, the system is busy swapping memory pages out to disk (swap space) in order to accommodate additional requests for more memory. And any requests for that older memory, which was swapped out, now has to be read back in from the disk (very slow).

Hope that makes sense.

It's kind of strange. I had over 120 megs of free memory with no browsers open.

I opened firefox and chromium and that took me down to about 10 megs left. I opened two more browser windows and it went from 7 megs free up to 40 megs free

I don't remember how much memory I had before, but my machine was definitely faster. This is so slow right now it's painful. I am wondering if one of chips stopped working. I can't wait for that gig to show. Shows how useless expedited shipping is, I ordered it on sunday and it might show up Thursday Seems like a scam.

Most web browsers are pigs, and the typical Linux desktop environment is a bit heavy as well (although not near as bad as Windows or MacOS). That extra memory should help a lot.

Success! Here is the output of the free command now.

Mem: 1443 716 727 0 45 380
    -/+ buffers/cache: 291 1152
    Swap: 445 0 445

Seems to be moving with a little more zip. Huge props to memory-up.com!