Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Why is [insert figure] so expensive on the secondary market?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Yeah, it's all supply and demand. If enough people want the figure - the price will go up. Someone mentioned Stinkor. He's up to $89 on Amazon too now. The fact is that CG brought a lot of new people into the series, and not everyone is buying up old figures. I hope they do reconsider reproducing some, otherwise people may get frustrated at not getting the ones they want for less than $100 each!

I was thinking last night. They should do an "All-Stars" sub for some of the most expensive older figures. Only do it if enough people sign up, so there's no risk. But they could do:
    Beast-Man
    Teela
    The Sorceress
    Fisto
    Shadow Weaver
    and Whiplash

and I'm sure they would get enough people interested to make it worth Matty's while. If they don't do something like this, most new collectors simply won't ever own most of these. And no one's collection should have to go without core figures....
    I'd subscribe to that in a heartbeat.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Yeah, it's all supply and demand. If enough people want the figure - the price will go up. Someone mentioned Stinkor. He's up to $89 on Amazon too now. The fact is that CG brought a lot of new people into the series, and not everyone is buying up old figures. I hope they do reconsider reproducing some, otherwise people may get frustrated at not getting the ones they want for less than $100 each!

I was thinking last night. They should do an "All-Stars" sub for some of the most expensive older figures. Only do it if enough people sign up, so there's no risk. But they could do:
    Beast-Man
    Teela
    The Sorceress
    Fisto
    Shadow Weaver
    and Whiplash

and I'm sure they would get enough people interested to make it worth Matty's while. If they don't do something like this, most new collectors simply won't ever own most of these. And no one's collection should have to go without core figures....
    If Matty ever offered Shadow Weaver again that would be the end of their subscription service. You can't re-offer a figure that's been guaranteed to be a subscription exclusive again. Some promises need to be kept or else Matty will destroy itself.
    Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

The only way I could see them releasing Shadow Weaver would be through a variant. But two things against this, one they have said they are trying to avoid variants of anyone except He-man and Skeletor. Second, what would the variant be in the first place. The big reason to is to reuse the leg she has. OF course they could theoretically use that on another figure to reuse the item.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MaxGoof View Post
    If Matty ever offered Shadow Weaver again that would be the end of their subscription service. You can't re-offer a figure that's been guaranteed to be a subscription exclusive again. Some promises need to be kept or else Matty will destroy itself.
    You may have a point there. But I was proposing a new subscription, not just putting the figure up for sale. She would technically remain a subscription exclusive. In fact, I'm proposing all 6 only be available as a subscription.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I'm a supporter for a "legal" variant of Shadow Weaver! But please add Scare Glow to that Subscription!
    1. Scare Glow
    2. Beast-Man
    3. Teela
    4. The Sorceress
    5. Fisto
    6. Shadow Weaver
    7. Whiplash

I have all of 'em but I think this gonna be an huge success!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    That's not going to happen. Clearly people are willing to pay $100+ for this figure on ebay. It's the same scenario as people who used to send out those e-mails to organize a gas strike to try to lower the prices. You aren't going to convince everyone to hold out because some people want the figure now and are again, willing to pay the price.
    That's great for them! I'm just glad I started collecting when I did or I never would have as paying 5 times what a figure is worth is....well not worth it for me. It's like this whole Strobo thing.......I had one in my cart for $35 and he sold out for me. I refuse a scalpor in the guise of a fellow collector $50 for him....I'd rather go without. In a year or two when these figures are back down to normal price......and they will be (every other toyline is cyclical like this).....then I'll fill the holes. I don't have many but there are a few. Luckily those few aren't in the $100 range yet. Teela, Fisto, Scareglow, Whiplash,....all under $30 and I just started collecting last April. Sorceress.....opted for TOD instead of Filmation (liked her better - kinda reminds me of movie version). BTW, I would be all for an All Star sub and think they should offer it once the main line is done!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    I'm a supporter for a "legal" variant of Shadow Weaver! But please add Scare Glow to that Subscription!
    1. Scare Glow
    2. Beast-Man
    3. Teela
    4. The Sorceress
    5. Fisto
    6. Shadow Weaver
    7. Whiplash

I have all of 'em but I think this gonna be an huge success!
    Even better! I'd be in for a 12 figures 2 each month all-star subscription if they'd do it. It would be great for those of us who didn't know about the line back in the day!

If Shadow Weaver isn't an option, I say make Scare Glow the #6.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    At any rate, characters such as Teela, Beastman, and Tri-Klops NEED to be available on a rotating schedule throughout the year along with a selection of "Masters" and "Skeletor's Henchmen."

Now that Castle Grayskull is coming, lots of people will want to populate their new real estate........ unfortunately, if you came into the line this late, it's going to cost a small fortune.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    That's great for them! I'm just glad I started collecting when I did or I never would have as paying 5 times what a figure is worth is....well not worth it for me. It's like this whole Strobo thing.......I had one in my cart for $35 and he sold out for me. I refuse a scalpor in the guise of a fellow collector $50 for him....I'd rather go without. In a year or two when these figures are back down to normal price......and they will be (every other toyline is cyclical like this).....then I'll fill the holes. I don't have many but there are a few. Luckily those few aren't in the $100 range yet. Teela, Fisto, Scareglow, Whiplash,....all under $30 and I just started collecting last April. Sorceress.....opted for TOD instead of Filmation (liked her better - kinda reminds me of movie version). BTW, I would be all for an All Star sub and think they should offer it once the main line is done!
    Most modern toys don't hold their value. Im sure "rare, expensive" figs will be readily available as people sell collections and move on to other things. The Castle is making the market peak right now but when its all said and done the prices will be more palatable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    At any rate, characters such as Teela, Beastman, and Tri-Klops NEED to be available on a rotating schedule throughout the year along with a selection of "Masters" and "Skeletor's Henchmen."

Now that Castle Grayskull is coming, lots of people will want to populate their new real estate........ unfortunately, if you came into the line this late, it's going to cost a small fortune.

Is their another toy line that does this? Matty did it because they had lots of unsold stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    Most modern toys don't hold their value. Im sure "rare, expensive" figs will be readily available as people sell collections and move on to other things. The Castle is making the market peak right now but when its all said and done the prices will be more palatable.
    Exactly! I remember Target exclusive Star Wars figures (Lava Darth Vader was one, TRU Hologram Yoda was another) in 2005 going for $50-$100 on ebay....and now the same figures MOC aren't even selling at buy it now at $10 (the retail price at the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Is their another toy line that does this? Matty did it because they had lots of unsold stock.
    Retail lines often get by with doing it through using variants of figures. Or releasing older figures again. Monster High has done it with some of the signature dolls. Playmates does something similar with the four Turtles. DCUC had it done with All-star waves or releases. Hasbro the last few years has done similar with some figures in Star Wars, in fact some people on this site complain they keep releasing the same figures over and over again with no change to them while other figures haven't been released.

Now how much are freshly created or repackaged is another issue.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

There are rare figures in every line, even at retail, that never get released again. Star Wars, Marvel Legends, and DCUC all have figures that were difficult to find for some reason or were passed over by everyone and then highly demanded once they couldn't be found again. This isn't something new to MOTUC and while there may be a lot of people willing to buy a re-release of these figures, I'm not sure Mattel could sell 5,000 of them at $25 each to make it worth their time. They are still trying to sell reissues of She-Ra, Hordak, and King Hiss. Those are some popular characters that shouldn't take this long to sell out.

Why is Teela so expensive?

I've been looking up MOTUC on Ebay and most of them I find fairly well priced considering their rarity but Teela goes for over 100 bucks Was she released in smaller quantities or something?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    I've been looking up MOTUC on Ebay and most of them I find fairly well priced considering their rarity but Teela goes for over 100 bucks Was she released in smaller quantities or something?
    Teela is one of the top MOTU characters and Mattel never re-issued her, so her price skyrocketed once her initial stock ran out. Fans wanted Mattel to fix the bobblehead problem she had, so that's probably why she never came back out.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Also the multiple head display options...several collectors got more than one to display her masked and unmasked head. And any new collectors to the line seem to want her not battle ground Teela as an essential part of their collection. She was one of the Original 8.

She is also one of the best figures for paint and face details - perfect.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    Also the multiple head display options...several collectors got more than one to display her masked and unmasked head. And any new collectors to the line seem to want her not battle ground Teela as an essential part of their collection. She was one of the Original 8.

She is also one of the best figures for paint and face details - perfect.
    I grabbed three Teelas when she first came out to display as:
    • Normal Teela
    • The Goddess
    • Battleground Teela head on Teela body, which is my main Teela

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I also picked up 3 Teelas. One boxed, the other two displayed. One with the sword, kinda my "default Teela" and the other with the snake staff (sorta my 200x Teela).

She was my first Motuc figure. Once I was able to get her, I started buying the others. I wouldn't have started collecting the line without her but something tells me there will be a re-issue at some point. Maybe after the line ends as a sdcc "best of" line or something.

I find it rather strange they never reissued her :/
    Am I the only one that doesn't care for Battleground Teela? I mean, I know the intention was to create her mini comics look, I can't look at her and think "Teela." Maybe if she was at least a redhead.

Heroic Warrior
    And yes, limited quantities... she sold out FAST, back when the customer base was small. There are a LOT more MOTUC collectors right now, then there were back then. and all of them want a Teela.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Fans wanted Mattel to fix the bobblehead problem she had, so that's probably why she never came back out.
    I had less of a problem with her "bobblehead" than I did with that horribly STIFF OUTFIT of hers. She is long overdue for a 2.0 version. Just like She-Ra, Teela would benefit greatly from using the new 2.0 body with a two piece outfit made from much softer material as well as the newly sculpted BG Evil-Lyn bracers.

The release of an improved 2.0 version would also destroy the market for outrageously overpriced Teela figures both here and on ePay.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    A UK ebay seller sold Teela for £185.00 ($288.00) !! I was watching the bidding closely - that price is insane!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    A UK ebay seller sold Teela for £185.00 ($288.00) !! I was watching the bidding closely - that price is insane!
    I was also watching that sale, it was insane.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    I was also watching that sale, it was insane.
    Frankly, the best thing that could come out of them making figures based on the new comic would be that Teela and Beast-Man (Maybe even Fisto and Whiplash?) would become accessible.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I'm a lucky (very lucky since I paid a normal price for 'em) owner of Teela, Scareglow, Beastman, Fisto and Whiplash but I can't stop to say that we need a pre-order for these reissues and we need it now!
    C'mon... it's a zero money operation! Start the pre-orders now!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Since Matty are interested in releasing DC designs of MOTU - Teela with exposed chest or Power Girl Teela would be very welcome.

They have stated already that a Filmation version of Teela won't be released as it is similar to the regular version.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar