Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motu classics reissues

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    Toyguru has said multiple times that reissues will not happen. Once the customer service stock is gone, that's it. Sucks that it has to be that way, but that's how Mattel does business.

I was bored, and saw the prices had climbed substantially, so I thought I'd post and see what others had to say. If Mr. Personality TG has spoken, then I guess that's the end of that. Its sad though, considering there is demand, otherwise these online prices would not exist.

Maybe one day I'll scoop them up elsewhere.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I was bored, and saw the prices had climbed substantially, so I thought I'd post and see what others had to say. If Mr. Personality TG has spoken, then I guess that's the end of that. Its sad though, considering there is demand, otherwise these online prices would not exist.

Maybe one day I'll scoop them up elsewhere.
    Why do you not already have them?

I don't have them either. I got into collecting the line recently and secondary market prices for certain characters are just too steep

Heroic Warrior
    I personally don't see any reason they can't do a Pre-Order for reissues, and if they don't get enough orders to turn a profit they don't do the reissue, simple as that. I put up a poll on the Matty boards a while back suggesting exactly this and basically no one cared enough to even vote. So that either reflects what TG says and there just isn't enough interest, or the majority of people posting on the boards are the hardcores and already have these figs. Either way I don't see how you can realisticly judge customer interest based just on the "vocal minority" of the people that post on the Msg Boards.
    Only one way to find out, and that's do just put up the Pre-Order for reissues and see if enough sell. Seems like a no-brainer, but they clearly arent interested in doing reissues in any form anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The risk is when they did this in the past they got left with overstock of most of the figures.
    Exactly, but this would be resolved with a Pre-Order model. You fill the orders and make just enough extra for CS stock, vola, no extra left over stock eating up space.

I think, for now, they're focused on getting as many vintage heavy hitters out the door as they can. Instead of spending time retreading old territory, they want to bring the fans the figures they haven't seen before. Even a pre-order model is going to eat up resources that could be better spent achieving the goals they want to see.

Also, aside from what they hear a few vocal fans, Mattel doesn't really believe that the demand is there for reissues. And I don't see anything that's going to convince them otherwise right now, even if the secondary market prices are sky high. Who knows, maybe a year down the road we might see a reissue sub.

Ultimately though, the line will end, and prices will drop on these figures once people sell off their collections to fund the next big thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Most on your list have been available more than once on Matty Collector. Sometimes that has been for the briefest of moments during sales. Teela and Fisto are the ones most people are upset about though, as they appeared only once. The amount of discussion about these two definitely shows that a lot of customers still need them, or at least want extras. It's a shame that Mattel didn't anticipate that popular characters would be more demanded than the rubbish ones. You know the ones I mean - the same old left over stock that gets labelled with words like 'essential'. Let's hope the message has sunk in with a strong Vintage line up for next year.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Most on your list have been available more than once on Matty Collector. Sometimes that has been for the briefest of moments during sales. Teela and Fisto are the ones most people are upset about though, as they appeared only once.
    I think Teela has been available more than once. I am thinking closer to 3 or 4. I know at least once on a black friday sale and 2 times in the same month because I missed her both times, when I was trying to start my loose collection. You are correct on Fisto some subbers didn't even get him.

They are expensive but they will just go up so if you have the money you might want to try to snag yourself one of them every now and then. I jumped and bought Fisto, the Sorceress and Shadow Weaver right after they sold out for my loose collection. I think I spent about $250 on the 3. If you think about it just a single figure is now $27 plus shipping.

If Mattel went back to make 500 Fisto's They would probably have to sell him for 5 times the price just to break even.

I would like to see a pre-order sub for certain high demanded figures just to silence the mob.
    Last edited by Lipster; April 2, 2013 at 04:20pm.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I've been arguing for an "All-Stars" sub since I first started posting. Pick the 6-8 figures which are most expensive, do a pre-order. If they don't get the minimum number of orders for the sub, it doesn't go forward. There is no possibility of Matty losing and it would be great for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    Toyguru has said multiple times that reissues will not happen. Once the customer service stock is gone, that's it. Sucks that it has to be that way, but that's how Mattel does business.
    Thing is that it`s not demand that dictates reissue`s IMO it`s the time they take to sell. since Mattel can`t have reissues sellout in under 5 mins they decide that they don`t sell well even tho all custome service stock is gone but didn`t sellout in mins so they won`t be doing them again. I think it`s about how TG looks in this. Maybe he thinks if they don`t sell in mins that upper management may see him as a failure since the regular figures sellout at most times in under 5 mins. but this is all speculation

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I've been arguing for an "All-Stars" sub since I first started posting. Pick the 6-8 figures which are most expensive, do a pre-order. If they don't get the minimum number of orders for the sub, it doesn't go forward. There is no possibility of Matty losing and it would be great for the fans.
    That would be great, 'cause that would also drive the price down on the secondary market. (Good for ME, I guess, not for those who already have the figs)
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    With all due respect, this plan is doomed to fail from the get-go.

There's no way that such a sub would get enough support because there will be too many people who already have at least some of the figures that would be included.

The only way I can see this working, as someone else suggested earlier, is individual separate preorders for these figures. Even then I think it's an uphill battle and they aren't likely to get enough orders to go into production. While there are enough people wanting these figures to get the secondary market prices to where they are now, Mattel probably has to produce a minimum quota somewhere in the thousands in order to justify the cost of production. I doubt that enough people are missing these figures to even get enough individual preorders, but it's at least worth a shot. If they don't get enough, it doesn't go forward.

But again, creating a sub with several of the currently expensive figures is even more likely to fail as anyone who has several of them is likely to not purchase the sub. Sure, they could try to sell of the figures that they don't want, but their value would drop sharply if such a sub were somehow to go through, and a lot of people would have a hard time just breaking even on them.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    With all due respect, this plan is doomed to fail from the get-go.

There's no way that such a sub would get enough support because there will be too many people who already have at least some of the figures that would be included.

The only way I can see this working, as someone else suggested earlier, is individual separate preorders for these figures. Even then I think it's an uphill battle and they aren't likely to get enough orders to go into production. While there are enough people wanting these figures to get the secondary market prices to where they are now, Mattel probably has to produce a minimum quota somewhere in the thousands in order to justify the cost of production. I doubt that enough people are missing these figures to even get enough individual preorders, but it's at least worth a shot. If they don't get enough, it doesn't go forward.

But again, creating a sub with several of the currently expensive figures is even more likely to fail as anyone who has several of them is likely to not purchase the sub. Sure, they could try to sell of the figures that they don't want, but their value would drop sharply if such a sub were somehow to go through, and a lot of people would have a hard time just breaking even on them.
    Maybe it would fail, maybe it would go through. I honestly don't know the answer. I do know that a lot of new people have recently gotten into the line since the CG pre-order. Us not having Beast-Man or Teela is crazy!
    But if Matty offered the sub and they didn't get enough orders to justify it, it simply wouldn't go through. It's as simple as that. AND the sub would cost Matty less than normal figures because there wouldn't be any designing involved, just printing the new run of the figures to order. No risk. Either enough people order, or not.

I'm betting it would get enough.

Maybe it would fail, maybe it would go through. I honestly don't know the answer. I do know that a lot of new people have recently gotten into the line since the CG pre-order. Us not having Beast-Man or Teela is crazy!
    But if Matty offered the sub and they didn't get enough orders to justify it, it simply wouldn't go through. It's as simple as that. AND the sub would cost Matty less than normal figures because there wouldn't be any designing involved, just printing the new run of the figures to order. No risk. Either enough people order, or not.

You don't seem to understand that setting up the sub, even if it doesn't go through, is still going to cost them time/money. It's time/money that they'd rather spend on other things.

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    You don't seem to understand that setting up the sub, even if it doesn't go through, is still going to cost them time/money. It's time/money that they'd rather spend on other things.
    I understand that 100%. I don't expect them to discount the figures. They've expanded the line to 2 simultaneous subs for this fall. Maybe they could have the All-Stars sub begin in January? Or, if the demand is there, have 3 lines running all at once then. It's not either/or. They could do a re-print set and still keep making just as many new figures. Frankly, as some of the core figures get older and older, it's the only way the line could possibly live more than another year or two. You can't keep selling to the same shrinking group forever.

If the demand is there and enough people would pre-order (I'd sign up for 2 subs myself) then it would be throwing money away to not do it. For them to not even CHECK if enough people would sub seems a mistake to me...

- - - Updated - - -

The attitude seems to be, "Oh well! You missed collecting MOTUC." That doesn't seem like good business to me.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

What I'm saying, though, is that rather than making it into a subscription of 6-8 figures in which each person who signs up HAS to buy ALL of those figures (thus scarring people away who already have some of those figures), they should simply do separate, individual preorders for EACH of those 6-8 figures so that nobody is forced to commit to all of them.

If one person already owns Teela and Scareglow, and another person already owns Fisto and Whiplash (with each person missing the figures that the other person has), they are each less likely to sign up for a sub that includes all 4 of those figures since it forces them to rebuy figures that they already have.

However, if each figure is set up on an individual pre-order basis, Then the person missing Teela and Scareglow can preorder them, and the person missing Fisto and Whiplash can preorder those figures.

It's a gamble no matter what, but I think the individual preorders would be a safer bet. I guarantee that if Mattel did this as a sub and it didn't go through, they wouldn't then follow it up by giving individual preorders a chance. But if individual preorders were to go up of these older figures, it increases the possibility of at least some of them getting produced. Maybe Teela would get more preorders than Scareglow and as a result Teela goes into a reissue production and Scareglow doesn't. But at least in that scenario those who are missing Teela get her.

But if the sub is bogged down as a result of people not signing up because of many of them already having at least some of the included figures and doesn't go through, it's just game over entirely.

I also don't understand why you even brought up the point about the lack of design costs, etc., of making an all new figure because that still applies to what I'm suggesting.

Having listened to some of the recent RGD episodes, there's one idea that Mattel should really consider...

Cornboy of the 4HM explained the process of making an action figure, the costs involved, etc, often using the 4HM's 7th Kingdom and Gothotropolis lines as a basis for reference. In the particular case of their lines, since they have an even more limited audience, they create several variants of each figure that they make (often paint differences and/or minor parts swaps, but otherwise mostly the same figure) which results in some people buying more than 1 version. As they explained it, it is a bit more expensive to do multiple variants like this than to just do all the same identical figure. But, it's still cheaper than producing two completely different figures.

As such, what I think Mattel should REALLY consider is doing simultaneous pre-orders for reissues of both Teela and the Goddess since they use almost entirely the same tooling. Teela because of how essential of a character she is and her current scarcity, and Goddess because of the QC issues. Heck, if need be, they could even skip including the He-Man armor and weapons with The Goddess if pulling out the tooling for that would add an extra cost (it would be nice to include them, but not necessary IMO). Then Mattel can put up both preorders at the same time. They would still be separate preorders, so people could choose to buy one, the other, or both. I would think that producing them both at the same time would likely cost less than if they did separate reissues as separate times. So, as long as they get enough of a combined total of preorders for these figures, this just might work.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I wasn't arguing AGAINST single pre-orders. I was arguing for a sub.

I would be happy with single pre-orders. BUT I think the sub would be better for Matty, because it gets us all to buy the 6-8 figures, and it wouldn't be that bad for people who own 1,2, or 3 of the figures already. 8 figures which currently sell for over $100 each, and you can get the set for $200 total (roughly incl shipping.) If you end up with a double or two, you've still gotten a really good deal as opposed to not picking up the sub. Then, of course, many figures have multiple heads or options so having 2 isn't completely useless...

If it was the characters we're supposing, I would pick up two subscriptions myself.

Anyway, pre-orders for single characters or for a series, it would go a long way towards making the line more accessible for new collectors, making Matty money, and would involve no risk whatsoever for Matty.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Maybe Matty should do this sub thing and charge $100 a piece for the figures (minus Shadow Weaver since she should be gone forever as she was an exclusive). They'd make their money back for the smaller run and people that missed out would still be saving money on the figures....win/win

Personally, I'd rather get the new characters out of the way as well as the rest of the vintage and once that's done maybe get the variants we've been waiting for. As far as the Sorceress goes....TOD is selling for cheap and is a gorgeous figure. I highly recommend her! As for the other ones, they'll come down eventually. Patience pays off sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Maybe Matty should do this sub thing and charge $100 a piece for the figures (minus Shadow Weaver since she should be gone forever as she was an exclusive). They'd make their money back for the smaller run and people that missed out would still be saving money on the figures....win/win

Personally, I'd rather get the new characters out of the way as well as the rest of the vintage and once that's done maybe get the variants we've been waiting for. As far as the Sorceress goes....TOD is selling for cheap and is a gorgeous figure. I highly recommend her! As for the other ones, they'll come down eventually. Patience pays off sometimes.
    Yeah, I hope so. When it comes to Beast-Man, Teela, Fisto, and the rest I am simply NOT going to pay $100. I'll wait for either a reissue or the prices to crater in a couple years. I did get the white Sorceress and she'll do for me, but I would have preferred the correct colors.

It's funny. For the people who have been buying these things for 4-5 years the idea of getting every obscure character will be more appealing than 2.0s or re-releases. But for those of us who have been here a year or less, we look at the size of this line and know we'll never get all of the obscure figures they've already released! Getting the main characters in one form or another seems much more important.

Beast Man not being available in some form for a reasonable prize for new collectors is just insane....

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Yeah, I hope so. When it comes to Beast-Man, Teela, Fisto, and the rest I am simply NOT going to pay $100. I'll wait for either a reissue or the prices to crater in a couple years. I did get the white Sorceress and she'll do for me, but I would have preferred the correct colors.

It's funny. For the people who have been buying these things for 4-5 years the idea of getting every obscure character will be more appealing than 2.0s or re-releases. But for those of us who have been here a year or less, we look at the size of this line and know we'll never get all of the obscure figures they've already released! Getting the main characters in one form or another seems much more important.

Beast Man not being available in some form for a reasonable prize for new collectors is just insane....
    I am a fairly new collector....started last April to be exact. I lucked out and got everyone at a really good price early in my collecting days. I feel for those that are still missing Teela and Fisto and such but at this point I think it would benefit the line more to release characters like Two-Bad and Rio Blast and Glimmer and the movie trio way more than 2.0 versions or reissues. I'm not saying I'd rather have obscure figures....but I'd rather have unique ones then a bunch of variants of figures I already hunted down on the secondary market. I got Beast Man when he was reissued the month I bought my Griffin....it was no problem and he was $22. I paid a premium price for my Shadow Weaver (not $100 but definitely not $20!) I only have TOD Sorceress....but I did that on purpose cause I liked her better. I guess there were just a TON of rereleases last year so maybe I lucked out hopping in when I did. But those that have been collecting for the entire line and subbing are the reason we still have a line to begin with and most of them have already said the same thing....unique figures first. I have to agree with them, even as a newbie. That being said I would be watching the marketplace and ebay like a hawk because there are some really good deals to be found if you time it right.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I am a fairly new collector....started last April to be exact. I lucked out and got everyone at a really good price early in my collecting days. I feel for those that are still missing Teela and Fisto and such but at this point I think it would benefit the line more to release characters like Two-Bad and Rio Blast and Glimmer and the movie trio way more than 2.0 versions or reissues. I'm not saying I'd rather have obscure figures....but I'd rather have unique ones then a bunch of variants of figures I already hunted down on the secondary market. I got Beast Man when he was reissued the month I bought my Griffin....it was no problem and he was $22. I paid a premium price for my Shadow Weaver (not $100 but definitely not $20!) I only have TOD Sorceress....but I did that on purpose cause I liked her better. I guess there were just a TON of rereleases last year so maybe I lucked out hopping in when I did. But those that have been collecting for the entire line and subbing are the reason we still have a line to begin with and most of them have already said the same thing....unique figures first. I have to agree with them, even as a newbie. That being said I would be watching the marketplace and ebay like a hawk because there are some really good deals to be found if you time it right.
    Well, you know, you've been collecting for a full year now. You grabbed the figures which are worth mortgages now last year when they were cheap. Maybe you don't count as a newbie anymore?

I bought my first figures in December. I have 18 now (Orko and Adam are in the mail.) I'm concentrating on the main characters before I worry about the ones who appeared once in a cartoon, or in the background in a comic. I'm sure those are nice figures, but the meat comes first. I think that would be true for most new collectors. You want Beast-Man and Teela before you worry about figuring out who Keldor or King Grayskull are.
    Last edited by No-Ah; April 3, 2013 at 06:39pm.

Long time buyers have all those characters and now the need is for new stuff. I would much rather they get to Hydron, Glimmer, Castaspella than get a He-Man 2.0 or re-issue of Teela. I guess it all comes down to... Teela is out there to be had, but Hydron is not. It is not Matty's responsibility to keep all figures available at all times, just in case a new collector comes on board. There are myriad resources available (other than Ebay) to get your hands on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Long time buyers have all those characters and now the need is for new stuff. I would much rather they get to Hydron, Glimmer, Castaspella than get a He-Man 2.0 or re-issue of Teela. I guess it all comes down to... Teela is out there to be had, but Hydron is not. It is not Matty's responsibility to keep all figures available at all times, just in case a new collector comes on board. There are myriad resources available (other than Ebay) to get your hands on something.
    I hear you. But I don't think it's a question of responsibility. Where is the money to be made? Is it by catering ONLY to a shrinking but loyal base who have been there from the start? I wouldn't want them to only cater to the newbies.... But I would think the best path would be one that caters to both groups.

The All-Star sub wouldn't have to take a single new character away from being made. It would make things more inviting for newbies, and I think it would make Matty money. If I'm wrong, if it wouldn't make them money - then it just won't hit it's target and they won't lose a penny!

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    very true

but it is also publicity, if a sub is advertised dosen't go through its not going to look good for matty, if they offer a sub its because they expect it to work, and while there is demand for these figures i highly doubt its enough for a SKU by itself, plus most of these figures ain't rarer then others, people just aint selling them, (espically Teela and beastman) i imgiane once the line ends and folks sell them the prices will drop a bit on these but optik and other lower runs will go up

I think the point being missed here is that MOTUC only gets a certain number of sku`s per year, with the line being cut back on beasts and quarterly figures these sku`s are going to item`s like Castle Grayskull and the Filmation sub. There are no more resources at the moment with all sku`s filled up. Maybe after all the vintage line has been released they might go that route if the line is still seen as being profitable to Mattel at that time. I quit in 2011 when my sub got cancelled by Digital River and started collecting again in December and I too paid out the ying yang for some figures but when I average the number of figures I have aquired since December (total paid for all figures divided by number of figures) they still all work out to be about $25 per figure which isn`t bad. I still need some main characters but I`m close to being caught up. I don`t think any of the early main figures will be re-released till possible the end of the line if Mattel can still milk some money out of those molds

Quote Originally Posted by mac&cheesier View Post
    Maybe Scott toy guru might take notice? I really need a sorceress for my castle. I'm sure many others will soon who missed her.
    There would not be enough sold to make the figure. They would have to make a few thousand minimum...and only sell a few hundred.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Exactly, but this would be resolved with a Pre-Order model. You fill the orders and make just enough extra for CS stock, vola, no extra left over stock eating up space.
    We have that now...the 2013 Subscription....soon the 2014 subscription.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572