Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Vintage Starla, POP custom

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605

    Vintage Starla, POP custom





    Custom figure is based on the prototype and final toy look of unreleased figure from Mattel catalogs.






    It seems that Peekablue figure was used as a base to build Starla prototype, so I've done the same.
    Here are some W.I.P pictures:






    Last edited by Mantisaur82; March 9, 2013 at 07:30pm.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Mistico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    861
    Oh WOW! She looks nice! Excellent job! Gonna do the other two?
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

    My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior motumulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    217
    Smashing custom! You've realy made her come alive once again, super job!
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Thanks guys!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mistico View Post
    Oh WOW! She looks nice! Excellent job! Gonna do the other two?
    I am planing to make the other two, but they are much more complicated to do because I want them to be able to do the same things as the prototypes.
    I will probably make Glory Bird before other two sisters.

    Quote Originally Posted by motumulder View Post
    Smashing custom! You've realy made her come alive once again, super job!
    I want to buy staff from MOTUC Starla, and to make it shorter to fit this custom. But also I should figure out how to make that "star glitter backpack".

  5. #5
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,669
    Great work!

    To bad you canīt make her legs transulcent as they were intended and i always wondered how her back pack could have looked liked from the back and the how exactly they planned on making it work.

    I always assumed itīs like those toys filled with water or liquid and where you have to push soft buttons. The air pressure whirls up what ever is inside, normally itīs some kind of fish but in Starlas case itīs glitter which is whirled around and than every thing is sparkling.

    I truly hope you find a way to make one!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  6. #6
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,814
    She turned out fantastic.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior yeahthatsme1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    341
    *mind blown*

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Thank you all very much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Great work!

    To bad you canīt make her legs transulcent as they were intended and i always wondered how her back pack could have looked liked from the back and the how exactly they planned on making it work.

    I always assumed itīs like those toys filled with water or liquid and where you have to push soft buttons. The air pressure whirls up what ever is inside, normally itīs some kind of fish but in Starlas case itīs glitter which is whirled around and than every thing is sparkling.

    I truly hope you find a way to make one!
    The legs on custom look something between prototype (painted, nontranslucent ) and final figure design (shape of the star on boots)...but with some glittering effect in paint. :/ I hope that I will have some opportunity to mold and cast legs in some translucent plastic with glitter, as they should be...then I could just replace the legs on this custom.

    I am thinking the same about backpack, but I am confused with that white thing on top of the backpack...what's that for?
    Is that something that should be pressed to whirls up glitters, but I can't see how. I think that whole backpack is soft enough to press it anywhere and water with glitters will be moved.

  9. #9
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Thank you all very much.



    The legs on custom look something between prototype (painted, nontranslucent ) and final figure design (shape of the star on boots)...but with some glittering effect in paint. :/ I hope that I will have some opportunity to mold and cast legs in some translucent plastic with glitter, as they should be...then I could just replace the legs on this custom.

    I am thinking the same about backpack, but I am confused with that white thing on top of the backpack...what's that for?
    Is that something that should be pressed to whirls up glitters, but I can't see how. I think that whole backpack is soft enough to press it anywhere and water with glitters will be moved.
    I honestly think the white thingy is just the plug and i donīt think it was removable but a necessity to fill up the backpack.

    Soft enough so it can be whirled and squeezed everywhere, nice idea and sounds logical but difficult to achieve i guess, the material must be firm enough to hold itself up straight but soft enough to be squeezable.....?!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I honestly think the white thingy is just the plug and i donīt think it was removable but a necessity to fill up the backpack.

    Soft enough so it can be whirled and squeezed everywhere, nice idea and sounds logical but difficult to achieve i guess, the material must be firm enough to hold itself up straight but soft enough to be squeezable.....?!
    In a case that the white thing is just a plug, it seems to big and to visible. :/
    The material firm enough to hold itself up straight but soft enough to be squeezable, that could be something like plastic that was used for bubbles on MOTU/POP cards.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    181
    Absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I have ever wanted to buy a custom before today. This is awesome. Can't wait to see the rest.

  12. #12
    Snappy Threader
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,529
    Amazing work. She looks beautiful.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Amazing work. She looks beautiful.
    Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by docfairday View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I have ever wanted to buy a custom before today. This is awesome. Can't wait to see the rest.
    Thanks! Hehe let me know if you want to buy one!

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior mykan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    379
    Impressive. Most Impressive. Will you be doing Tallstar and Jewelstar?
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

    Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

  15. #15
    Rebel Jubilation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,401
    She looks amazing that really is a great custom, Starla has always been my favourite Star Sister.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Saurod

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by mykan View Post
    Impressive. Most Impressive. Will you be doing Tallstar and Jewelstar?
    Thank you so much mykan!
    I am planning to, but still need to figure out how to do them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    She looks amazing that really is a great custom, Starla has always been my favourite Star Sister.
    Thanks! She is my favourite Star Sister too!

  17. #17
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,669
    Is there a progress for Jewelstar or Tallstar?

    I am a huge Jewelstar fan, not the way she looks like in MOTUC but her vintage prototype figure. I really would like to see her made the way she was intended to be.

    So you are my last hope
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Is there a progress for Jewelstar or Tallstar?

    I am a huge Jewelstar fan, not the way she looks like in MOTUC but her vintage prototype figure. I really would like to see her made the way she was intended to be.

    So you are my last hope
    Thanks Niki!
    As soon as I get some idea what to use as a base and how to do it, I am gonna make the other two Star Sisters.
    If any of you have any idea how to do that without sculpting/molding/casting complete figure, please share with us.
    I like what LadyAngora did here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...progress/page2
    and I am thinking of using the same base, with resculpting some parts from Invisible Woman (Fantastic Four) action figure... but still hoping and looking for some better solution.

  19. #19
    Totally Dyslexic Niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Thanks Niki!
    As soon as I get some idea what to use as a base and how to do it, I am gonna make the other two Star Sisters.
    If any of you have any idea how to do that without sculpting/molding/casting complete figure, please share with us.
    I like what LadyAngora did here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...progress/page2
    and I am thinking of using the same base, with resculpting some parts from Invisible Woman (Fantastic Four) action figure... but still hoping and looking for some better solution.
    This spider man action figure could work for her, maybe he is still to tall ?!?

    But he is at least red already...not the same red but it could work....

    http://www.onepercase.net/2012/06/ma...pider-man.html

    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither


  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Tyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,383
    wow that is a nice custom! She's gorgeous!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

    ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior eurorko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,737
    Great job!!! I think you should redo her make-up and make her look more like the prototype's, other than that she is perfect.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    @ Niki
    It seems easier to modify Invisible Woman and make her look semitransparent red with glitters, than to make girl out of Spider Man.
    I was also thinking about this one...but he fits better if I wanna make custom based on early prototype (from italian catalog), not the later one (from US catalog)


    Fantastic 4 - Human Torch




    Thanks Tyke!

    @ eurorko
    Thanks! The base for a prototype was also Peekablue. It is just contrast in catalog picture which makes her make-up darker green. The same goes for Tallstar (Entrapta face).
    Head of Jewelstar is molded in a new sculpt but the paintjob for the face was done the same as Glimmer.
    Last edited by Mantisaur82; April 21, 2013 at 07:53pm.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Salamandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    292
    Wow! Really gorgeous!

    Would something like this work for your Jewelstar? http://cooltoyreview.com/DST_MS_PhoenixFire.asp

    I suspect that figure is probably a bit too big, but I love the transparent plastic, and the hair would be very similar to her crown.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Mantisaur82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    605
    I think what's needed is the body which is transparent and closest to the Jewelstar prototype based on articulations/function and size... crystal details and crown might be sculpted eventually. And face can be "transplanted" from Glimmer.

  25. #25
    Court Magician headache79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    46
    Question: Where did you find the materials to make her skirt and belt? I have been looking at the local fabric stores for similiar material and haven't found anything that quite matches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •