Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 115 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 115 Discussion!

Episode 115 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

***Val has been swamped with the initial stages of Power-Con 2013 and deadlines for Marvel Comics. He will post episodes 112 and 113 at a later date. He apologizes for the delay.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by Scott Neitlich and Cornboy as they discuss
    Dan's cruise,
    Mark Ellis interview,
    hiding figures,
    size of Grayskull on b-sheet,
    TMNT playset cost VS Grayskull cost,
    the missing 3D dungeon,
    cancellations,
    displaying Grayskull,
    the process of making a toy,
    subscriptions,
    Windraider plugin for Grayskull,
    Gothitropolis,
    Power Lords,
    Filmation weapons,
    Grayskull boxart
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on March 3, 2013
    Runtime: 1 hour, 47 minutes, 14 seconds

Direct link for Episode 115

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Thanks Val! Starting now.

*Now prays happy news!*

LOL I STILL hide figures from time to time too!

A bit more than halfway through. Some good answers to concerns, at least ones that I am content with.

I did want to tip my hat to Val. I know that there had been some things said after the last one, but I appreciated one part in particular. Scott started with a bit of "cheer leading" on how we were getting the Castle, but Val kept him on topic with the concerns about the size at hand. it was done respectfully, but I appreciated it, because (and not saying Scott was intentionally trying to do this) but it would have been easy to get distracted with "We are getting a castle and it is cool!"

One thing that does not appear to be cleared up is the spot for the Windraider. I believe Scott recently said that the 4 Horsemen wanted that, but Cornboy seemed to indicate that it was part of the B-sheet, so it is not real clear. I did chuckle when he talked like he wouldn't be using that part, lol.

The part about the figure design process that CB gave was very insightful. I don't really have a lot of knowledge of the process, so it was nice to hear it. And it does help explain some of the cost issues at play.

And Sub sales starting early? Even without any SDCC knowledge or reveals...this seems like a pretty cool idea! Honestly...I know I'm in. How could I not be, because despite whatever... this is still the best line around

Finally...Two-bad...Stonedar and Rokkon? Are we getting some hints here? I am going to pretend we are.

oh and I LOVE the idea of the Castle shown at SDCC being an actual toy model VS a proto. That should help a lot. Very cool.

A good episode, some good answers, and nothing really that I can't live with.

Well except that no one asked for Crita.

One final note...I REALLY hope that She-Ra ends up on the box. If we can only have 5 characters I hope that it represents what MOTUC is supposed to be, the best of all. Now while I don't expect NA to show up... She-Ra is as important to the Castle story wise as He-Man.
    Last edited by Barezz; March 13, 2013 at 12:40am.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    This episode was really good. I really feel excited about castle Grayskull. I hope She-ra makes the cut. At the end of the day it's only a friggin' painting on a box and it's not that it will prevent me to have She-ra make it her home!

Listening to Val's idea made me actually sad. Because it would have been a GREAT IDEA to have, as he suggested, a character from each faction / era to represent the diversity of this toyline: one from NA, one from MY, one from Filmation, one original character (love Val's idea of having Dragon Man).

And it made me sad because I assume most fans will have voted for the original 8 figures. This all-emcompassing option would have been awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Very sad that the Wind Raider plug was only mentioned when Scott was already offline
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Over all it was a great episode. I love the 4HM when they show up and chat, indeed, CB was very insightful and gave us a good chunk of how things could cost, meanwhile Scott still didn't convince me much with his vague elaborations, sadly the same old jibber-jaber!!! Come on, a giant company like Mattel cannot do better cost estimates, hard to believe, and even if it was true, why give your customers false info from the get-go if you're not sure of how things could turn out! If people end up canceling their pre-orders, it's because of Scott's shady sales tactics IMHO.

At least I give a lot of credit for Val for asking some tougher questions this time around...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Listening right now!

Danielle, you get mad props for the "Val wants a full size Grayskull" comment. LOL!!!!! Love the dig!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Scott started with a bit of "cheer leading" on how we were getting the Castle, but Val kept him on topic with the concerns about the size at hand. it was done respectfully, but I appreciated it, because (and not saying Scott was intentionally trying to do this) but it would have been easy to get distracted with "We are getting a castle and it is cool!"
    Scott answered the questions while also keeping excitement alive for the castle while we talked. I didn't see that as distracting and instead view that as what he's supposed to do. I'd have been depressed if he said the opposite about Grayskull.

One thing that does not appear to be cleared up is the spot for the Windraider. I believe Scott recently said that the 4 Horsemen wanted that, but Cornboy seemed to indicate that it was part of the B-sheet, so it is not real clear. I did chuckle when he talked like he wouldn't be using that part, lol.
    Cornboy did say the B-Sheet was done by them during the recording. But he also said Mattel contributed to it afterwards and I got the impression the 4H didn't add the Wind Raider port. That being said, I think it's important we walk away from this recording with a clear understanding that there are a number of people involved in this process other than Scott and the 4H. I think Scott may think the 4H sometimes add or design something when in fact it may have been someone at Mattel. My own personal assessment is that it's easy for that misconception to occur, especially when you note that Scott said he mostly crunches the numbers and signs off on stuff.

I can see how that can happen. If you have a room full of chefs and cooks all working on the same meal, you may not realize who tosses in certain ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Listening to Val's idea made me actually sad. Because it would have been a GREAT IDEA to have, as he suggested, a character from each faction / era to represent the diversity of this toyline: one from NA, one from MY, one from Filmation, one original character (love Val's idea of having Dragon Man).

And it made me sad because I assume most fans will have voted for the original 8 figures. This all-emcompassing option would have been awesome.
    As I mentioned on the show, for me, I think it really comes down to painting style. If it's less moody and dark like the vintage and instead more bright with some punch, I think a cornucopia of characters from all eras would work great to represent what we've seen in MOTUC.

But, if it's an homage to the vintage, I'd prefer it be the original 8-back with some of the core vintage MOTU.

That being said, I did vote for a well-rounded roster. But I did that in hopes of a visual approach that breaks from the vintage Grayskull boxart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Really enjoyed listening CB on this episode. He is very genuine and his fanboy-dom shines through.
    He definitely is awesome. I'm going to chew some food in the mic next time in his honor.

Great episode guys! I loved hearing ToyGuru & CB's enthusiasm. Hearing about the amount of Grayskull accessories the 4H have already done, the 2 high tool figures CB mentioned & the comments about the rest of '13, and how amazing '14 will be is all good news in my book.

Well, Val only revealed 1 of his votes, but we all know Glimmer & Madame Razz weren't on there. Sorry, Danielle, this comment will probably net you another fist shake from Val, but we can't just let him slide, can we?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

I actually wrote a custom code to delete all votes placed by other fans for Glimmer & Madame Razz! MWA HA HA HA HA! The conspiracies are true!

Heroic Warrior
    Another great episode! I wonder what the 2 high tool figures are hmm? Great to hear 2014 is practically done being decided on (as long as there are enough subscribers) and they are already working on 2015! If the subscriptions were opened earlier at least we would know the pricepoint and the number of skus coming. CB was awesome, I love when the Horsemen and/or Scott are on.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I actually wrote a custom code to delete all votes placed by other fans for Glimmer & Madame Razz! MWA HA HA HA HA! The conspiracies are true!
    Good

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I can see how that can happen. If you have a room full of chefs and cooks all working on the same meal, you may not realize who tosses in certain ingredients.
    Yea very true. My guess is that it is DC Comics Orko who added it. He is just pure evil
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Great episode, was so glad when CB really started talking about how much steel molds cost. I know from the business I run, but it always seems to fall on deaf ears when I try to explain the huge amount of money that goes into tooling. Fans know CB is not going to give them BS, CB always is upfront and honest about things.

The steel molds for CG will require a forklift to load and move around. those things will be MASSIVE!

I also was really happy to hear some Power Lords and Raven talk on there, cant wait for that kickstarter and really hope to grab a PL fig at SDCC this year.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I really hope the fully tooled or almost fully tooled figure Cornboy was referring to is the Horde Trooper 2-pack that I am expecting for 4Q. Of course they could already be sculpted and maybe Cornboy was talking about 2014 figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I really hope the fully tooled or almost fully tooled figure Cornboy was referring to is the Horde Trooper 2-pack that I am expecting for 4Q. Of course they could already be sculpted and maybe Cornboy was talking about 2014 figures.
    as much as I want horde troopers now, I still think it makes more sense to show it at SDCC, but make it the 1st qtr oversized spot in 2014. We would get it only a few more months out and it would help to sell subs. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    as much as I want horde troopers now, I still think it makes more sense to show it at SDCC, but make it the 1st qtr oversized spot in 2014. We would get it only a few more months out and it would help to sell subs. IMHO
    We have one more quarterly item left this year. It is has been stated already by ToyGuru that it is a army builder pack that everyone wants (most requested). That leaves only two real possibilities. The Horde Trooper two pack or Skeletor's Filmation Robot Knights. A lot of people expect that it will be the Horde Troopers. At this point, it cannot be moved into the 2014 sub as it is legally locked in to this sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    My guess is that it is DC Comics Orko who added it. He is just pure evil
    The reaches of the conspiracy are further revealed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I really hope the fully tooled or almost fully tooled figure Cornboy was referring to is the Horde Trooper 2-pack that I am expecting for 4Q
    Horde Troopers would be awesome!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Listening now . . .

I'd like to know how much time elapsed between the time the 4H first saw the foam mock-up and when they were told the size had to be decreased, and whether or not Scott was still soliciting pre-orders based on the dimensions of the mock-up.

AWESOME!!!

I loved this show! Thanks for getting into the technical details of how the figures go from step one to final delivery!

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    We have one more quarterly item left this year. It is has been stated already by ToyGuru that it is a army builder pack that everyone wants (most requested). That leaves only two real possibilities. The Horde Trooper two pack or Skeletor's Filmation Robot Knights. A lot of people expect that it will be the Horde Troopers. At this point, it cannot be moved into the 2014 sub as it is legally locked in to this sub.
    sure it can be moved. It has not been revealed for a fact what the item is. Legally it just needs to be a $50 item.

Excited to hear about the "almost fully tooled" figure that was just completed and the "about 90% fully tooled" one they're working on.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    sure it can be moved. It has not been revealed for a fact what the item is. Legally it just needs to be a $50 item.
    No, legally it has to be a $50 item and an army builder pack (as advertised at sale of subscription on the matty page). Remember we were told there would be four quarterly items at special pricing, Ram-Man an oversized figure ($30), The Fighting Foe Men three pack at $75, one variant at $25 (which we have since learned will be NA He-Man), and one army builder 2 pack at $50. That was how it was sold. ToyGuru stated during the sale, to help get sub numbers up, that the 2 pack would be a highly requested army builder. So a lot of people have speculated Horde Troopers. Whether it will be that, I don't know. Skeletor's Robot Knights and the Horde Troopers are the most requested 2 packs with the Horde Troopers probably the most requested.
    Last edited by csc0709; March 13, 2013 at 11:40am.

This was a great episode. It's a shame Grayskull preorders aren't still open because I think the positivity from this episode may have boosted a few more orders for that awesome playset.

Also, it was great to hear Scott say the reveals at SDCC will be "very equivalent to last year"...I take that to mean a full 2014 and not reduced as we have been fearing! I'll most definitely be blind-preordering in May or whenever they open those up. Gah, so excited!!
    Last edited by galaxysurfer; March 13, 2013 at 11:42am.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Excited to hear about the "almost fully tooled" figure that was just completed and the "about 90% fully tooled" one they're working on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...Guy2/sdcc2.gif
    loving that gif!

I think the fully tooled figure will be Calix with his white crossbow.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

The Robot Knights could be used for 2014 and still gather as much support for the sub as the Horde Troopers. The Troopers really need to be the 2013 army building item, in my opinion, due to all the hype during the 2013 sub drive about this fan-requested army builder set.