Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 115 Discussion!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The 50.00 is still a fan demanded army builder two pack. I've seen the sculpt and they are spectacular.
    Woo hoo! Castle Bright Moon guards two-pack! One male, one female!

Thanks! Great discussions.
    It was good to hear from CB and listen to him talk about their other projects. I hope we get to see excerpts (or more) of those character bibles some day.

I'm particularly fond of Seventh Kingdom and Gothitropolis!

If the Horde Troopers are in production it would be incredibly foolish to release them in 2013.

It would be a much better idea to push them to the 1st quarter of 2014 as a sub lure at SDCC.

Hopefully some lessons have been learned from past years. Trying to entice subbers with the Fighting Foe Men and Netossa last year (and Star Sisters the year before) is the wrong way to go about it.

SDCC should reveal the most-wanted characters that are planned for the 2014 lineup. Characters like Two-Bad, Horde Troopers, Glimmer, etc. If Nocturna is scheduled for 2014 then that's great, but put him in for release at the end of the year. Don't have him as the January 2014 figure and expect subbers to come flocking.

What I'm trying to say is don't try to lure subscriptions with less popular characters.

It's common sense to me, but it doesn't seem like it has been taken into account in past years. A strong lineup at SDCC could make all the difference in subscription numbers, and I believe it had a lot to do with the struggle to meet the 2013 minimum last year.
    "The boyy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

http://jediboyy.pawnbrand.com/
    http://jediboyy.deviantart.com/

Val, thank you for skipping the other episodes when stuff like this happens so that we get the info we're goin nuts for faster. And MAINLY thank you for suggesting Filmation stuff like the Sorceress' portal for a furniture pack!

It's good to hear Scott talk about it, and I appreciated him claiming blame for stuff like not pointing out the image on the B-Sheet was meant to be a sticker (instead of some of the other responses we've gotten about that), and then follow that up by saying the chances of a Grayskull furniture pack is pretty good.

I'm personally holding out judgement on the size until I see it in person at SDCC, but even if I am a tad disappointed there's pretty much NO way I'd cancel my pre-order cuz even I it's not perfect, it'll still be pretty amazing. Though if I wasn't afforded the luxury of attending the con, I might be more inclined to judge it from the pics, and understand why those who can't see it until I arrives on their doorstep are more nervous about it.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Val, thank you for skipping the other episodes when stuff like this happens so that we get the info we're goin nuts for faster. And MAINLY thank you for suggesting Filmation stuff like the Sorceress' portal for a furniture pack!

It's good to hear Scott talk about it, and I appreciated him claiming blame for stuff like not pointing out the image on the B-Sheet was meant to be a sticker...
    I think he didn't point it out originally because it never was meant to be a sticker. Whether or not it "wasn't supposed to be shown" is irrelevant. I think the "sticker" excuse is false. Early after the reveal when he was asked about the 3-D dungeon grate on the B-sheet, Scott wasn't sure, and that's when he posted the "sticker" explanation. http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/7411006408 This thing was sculpted and made for the castle from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I think he didn't point it out originally because it never was meant to be a sticker. Whether or not it "wasn't supposed to be shown" is irrelevant. I think the "sticker" excuse is false. Early after the reveal when he was asked about the 3-D dungeon grate on the B-sheet, Scott wasn't sure, and that's when he posted the "sticker" explanation. http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/7411006408 This thing was sculpted and made for the castle from the beginning.
    Yup. Erkc Treadaway pointed out last episode that there are hands poking out of the dungeon grate on the B sheet diagram.

If it was intended to be a flat sticker then it would not be visible from that angle. It also goes against the 4HM's intent to make each sticker a 3D sculpt, like they did with the Wind Raider, and every other sticker on the castle. Removing the dungeon grate is obviously a cost cutting measure as the paint aps for it would not be used anywhere else on the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    If the Horde Troopers are in production it would be incredibly foolish to release them in 2013.
    I think we have enough left to make 2014 a good year whether we get Horde Troopers this year or not. But, I definitely agree that we need some heavy-hitters up front for the 2014 lineup to help folks commit to subscriptions.

I think he didn't point it out originally because it never was meant to be a sticker...SNIP...This thing was sculpted and made for the castle from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Yup. Erkc Treadaway pointed out last episode that there are hands poking out of the dungeon grate on the B sheet diagram...SNIP...Removing the dungeon grate is obviously a cost cutting measure as the paint aps for it would not be used anywhere else on the castle.
    I think it's worth actually listening to the RGD episode in question when discussing them and not just relying on the way people talk about it in thread, you guys should find it interesting! It's actually very thoroughly discussed and these points were went over and addressed. You get a much clearer picture of what happened.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    My fault. I was just thinking potential 2-pack. Not army builder.
    No big deal, it could have been changed to any 2-pack, I would have been disappointed if it were changed to a two-pack that wasn't an army builder. While the rest of the fanbase would have went ballistic I would just move on to the next thing.

They are incredible lines, the Scarabus figure is absolutely amazing.

Yeah, stickers are 2D and the B-sheet clearly showed a 3D dungeon. I'm not someone who is upset about CG, but this seems very clear to me.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

The 50.00 is still a fan demanded army builder two pack. I've seen the sculpt and they are spectacular.
    Just had a thought-- would this fan demanded two-pack be subject to early access sales?
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Well that seals it: Horde Troopers

He states "fan-demanded army builder," The HT are THE most fan-demanded army builders!
    He has seen the "sculpt." That's singular, meaning it is just one main sculpt.

I also think that it very well SHOULD be in the 2013 line-up to gain back some more good-will and cheer from the fans. That will entice them to keep ordering a sub for next year, especially if the troopers are shipped around the time of ordering the sub.

I do think that Two-Bad, Glimmer, and a rock person should be revealed at SDCC to be part of the 2014 sub. AND Battle Ram!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    Just had a thought-- would this fan demanded two-pack be subject to early access sales?
    no, nothing that is in a sub is part of early access
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Well that seals it: Horde Troopers

He states "fan-demanded army builder," The HT are THE most fan-demanded army builders!
    He has seen the "sculpt." That's singular, meaning it is just one main sculpt.

I also think that it very well SHOULD be in the 2013 line-up to gain back some more good-will and cheer from the fans. That will entice them to keep ordering a sub for next year, especially if the troopers are shipped around the time of ordering the sub.

I do think that Two-Bad, Glimmer, and a rock person should be revealed at SDCC to be part of the 2014 sub. AND Battle Ram!
    Thing is, the filmation hover knight robots are also highly fan demanded. An every point you made about a single sculpt, could also reference a hover robot sculpt as well. So still a possibility for either.

I also have to agree that holding the horde troopers as a 2014 sub lure would help alot also.... lets just pray they are not the sub exclusive.... dear god help us if they are....

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post

It would be a much better idea to push them to the 1st quarter of 2014 as a sub lure at SDCC.

I understand your reasoning, but I will say this again in response to your post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Things could change, but I'm pretty sure Scott was referring to the Horde Troopers for the $50 spot when he was trying to drum up sales for the subscription last year. I would make a bet (though not a sizable one) that the Horde Troopers will be the 2-pack for 4Q revealed at SDCC. I don't think they need to hold them over for 2014 especially when you consider that the any of the following figures could be part of the 2014 lineup and would easily help sell subscriptions:

Two Bad
    Modulok
    Rio Blast
    Stonedar
    Tung Lashor
    Glimmer
    Mermista
    Scorpia
    Strongarm
    Flogg
    Hydron

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Thing is, the filmation hover knight robots are also highly fan demanded. An every point you made about a single sculpt, could also reference a hover robot sculpt as well. So still a possibility for either.
    It will not be the hover robots. This is a $50 2-pack and there would have to be about 4 of them to be worth $50.
    Last edited by Zodach; March 14, 2013 at 09:33am.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Aw man, I'm sad I missed out on the discussion with CB!

Both 114 and 115 were great discussions, though. Lots of awesome info!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The army builder two pack could be more Snake Men after the first two pack was so well received last year. Don't forget that people did want another two pack of Snake Men in other colors. Maybe a new two pack will have parts from Sssqueeze, Tung Lashor or Snake Face to further diversify them.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It could be a lot of things, but we know it's either Horde Troopers or Skeleton Warriors. Back during the sub drive Scott said it was an army builder pack fans have been asking a long time for. Fans have only been asking for repainted Snake Warriors since the first ones came out last year. And Scott wouldn't go out of his way to highlight the sculpt for a mostly repainted pack of Snakemen.

Horde Troopers or Skeletor Robots would both be pretty huge fan-demanded characters. I'd personally be happy with either, but a little happier with Horde Troopers.

It's times like this that make me happy to be a MOTU fan.

I have been critical of Scott in the past but I feel that it was deserved. I also have given him credit where credit is due. Listening to his enthusiasm really makes me feel lucky to have somebody like him at the helm. Also, with the "process" discussion, I think it opened my eyes up to his involvement. He's the "poster boy" for all of the criticism but I can definitely see where things are sometimes out of his hands. I truly due feel that the size issue wasn't in his hands...but what WAS in his hands was getting the information to the fans. Nobody knew about the size change until the prototype was unveiled.

I love that he gets so excited.
    As a fan running the brand, he's doing an incredible job and really believe that he is trying to get us the most product and BEST product that he can.

As a brand manager, I feel that he's doing an above average job. Too many problems continue to plague the line with little to zero progress in them being fixed. I also feel that in some instances, rather than trying to come up with a solution to a problem that works all around, he'll find the most extreme case that has little chance of failure, and runs with it without doing research into other options. (I'm talking about no more "bendy" materials). On a flip side...he heard the fans loud and clear and is not using black plastic and painting over it.

Rather than trying to tackle all of these problems at once, he should maybe take the top two issues...and iron them out, and then move on rather than trying to solve everything.

I'm not in his position and part of me would love to be, but other times I'd hate to be. With the way the large corporation runs, he may just have his hands tied.

Overall, great episode! Thanks Val, Scott, Danielle, Eamon, CB, and Skype

I don´t get the fan demand for those useless Hover Robots, but I would totally dig the Horde Troopers. As most about everybody would. But I´m in the same camp as several other fans in thinking the Horde Troopers would be a wasted opportunity for 2013. They would be much better used to gauge interest in the 2014 line-up and sub.
    And while thinking out loud here, I´d really much rather see a 2-pack of more individual characters as opposed to basically identical figures. I mean, there is only so much you can do to alternate the Troopers. 4 different headsculpts as the other army builders? Don´t really see that happening. The heads are basically identical. Yes, they could toss in a head with some of He-Mans hair showing. But thinking of the army builders, would you really want to end up having multiples of these then useless He-Man hair Horde Trooper heads?
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Don't underestimate the demand to build an army of Horde Troopers. There will be about twice as many out there if they are a 2-pack compared to a single release. Plus it allows Mattel to spread out the cost of the new tooling across more units.

You 'n' me both man...

It's excruciatingly painful to me to think about 7thK and why it SHOULD be the biggest action figure line out there today.
    It should be a cartoon. It should have a video game, a comic book, and a movie in the works.
    If I ruled the world, 7thK would be what MotU was in the 80s.

I blame no one as to why it's not there yet. YET.
    I know the guys would love it to be that big too.

Thus the pain. Because it's not... YET.
    There are designs for that line that MUST become plastic reality for all... MUST!!!
    Last edited by Baena; March 14, 2013 at 11:56am.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Chewer of Trollans
    I liked the response about the Wind Raider plug. No one's taking credit for that.
    I also enjoyed hearing about some Gothotropolis. That might be the most underrated toy-line of the decade.
    No one asked about why the trap door isn't over the dungeon! Will someone please find out why?