Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: 2014 Subs, what's being done differently this year?

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior Fug-Lee-Faces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Reveal Gwildor, Flutterina, Multi-bot, Dylamug, Nephtu and Plundor and we're dead!

    I would buy FIVE subs if they revealed Dylamug.
    Don't assume what characters would sell the line.

    Also, I truly think that all Mattel needs to do to improve sub sales is to start being UPFRONT, HONEST and POSITIVE about EVERYTHING. Stop over promising and under delivering; stop telling us the line will die if we don't sub. They need to start keeping to their word (don't tell us we'll get a minimum of everything on the B Sheet and then start cutting back on things, for example). Don't tell us the line is going to die if we don't sub. Instead, just put the subs up for sale and tell us to start buying in. If the line will truly die if we don't buy enough, so be it, but don't go sending everybody in a panic. TG needs to be nothing but upfront, honest and positive. If being upfront and honest would cause something to not be positive, he needs to just keep his mouth shut.

    That's my 2-cents.
    Last edited by Fug-Lee-Faces; March 27, 2013 at 01:41pm.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

  2. #52
    Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post

    I would buy FIVE subs if they revealed Dylamug.
    Don't assume what characters would sell the line.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful! I wanted to express that some characters, although popular on the forums, may not help sell the sub. I personally would love a Granita figure for instance and even though I'm aware that many people would like her too, I would understand if Mattel chose a higher profile figure (like Scorpia) to help sell the sub in 2014.
    I have nothing against Dylamug nor against any of the other characters I mentioned in my post... I just wanted to point out that Mattel had better reveal some of the most wanted characters if they want to sell the subs... and we all want the line to live long enough, precisely to eventually get characters like Dylamug or Granita.
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

    Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior Fug-Lee-Faces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful! I wanted to express that some characters, although popular on the forums, may not help sell the sub. I personally would love a Granita figure for instance and even though I'm aware that many people would like her too, I would understand if Mattel chose a higher profile figure (like Scorpia) to help sell the sub in 2014.
    I have nothing against Dylamug nor against any of the other characters I mentioned in my post... I just wanted to point out that Mattel had better reveal some of the most wanted characters if they want to sell the subs... and we all want the line to live long enough, precisely to eventually get characters like Dylamug or Granita.
    I agree that they need to release some major characters for 2014 to keep the line going. However, I think part of the reason a majority of us die-hard fans are still around is in the hopes that our favorite obscure characters (Dylamug, for example) get made. I hope that whatever 2014 brings, it is a good mix of major characters and a couple oddballs thrown in for good measure.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

  4. #54
    Heroic Warrior Kid Canada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    725
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    I agree that they need to release some major characters for 2014 to keep the line going. However, I think part of the reason a majority of us die-hard fans are still around is in the hopes that our favorite obscure characters (Dylamug, for example) get made. I hope that whatever 2014 brings, it is a good mix of major characters and a couple oddballs thrown in for good measure.
    Didn't you just say above "don't assume what characters will sell the line" but then you go on to assume that yourself. I personally don't think the obscure characters are what is keeping many people around. They want the core characters from each group. The vintage MOTU have (for the most part) all core characters, but the other series are pretty thin.

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Living in a reality where MOTUC goes on forever and ever and ever.....
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post

    I would buy FIVE subs if they revealed Dylamug.
    Don't assume what characters would sell the line.
    Maybe not five but this would go a long way for me

    I am sold either way for my sub. I dont get all this fence sitting on the part of MOTUC collectors. From a money standpoint I get it, but if you cant afford it you cant afford it! So that means to me if you suddenly find the money after a strong reveal that you could have subed up and supported the line all along. Either way, the heart of this thread pointed out what I think we all painfully know: this will most definately be a repeat of last years sub experience.

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior Fug-Lee-Faces's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Didn't you just say above "don't assume what characters will sell the line" but then you go on to assume that yourself. I personally don't think the obscure characters are what is keeping many people around. They want the core characters from each group. The vintage MOTU have (for the most part) all core characters, but the other series are pretty thin.
    I wasn't assuming which characters would sell subs, and I also said that the sub needs to contain a majority of popular characters.

    I'm not "assuming" anything to be a fact, I'm just pointing out my personal opinion on the matter of obscure characters. I personally think that a lot of us die hards who have been subbing all this time do have a personal favorite obscure character (or two, or three or four!) that we'd like to see made. Of course the MAJORITY of people just want the A listers and maybe a B lister or 2, but certainly this line would not have made it this long with so many figures if SOMEBODY didn't want obscure characters. We already have a TON of them!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

  7. #57
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by iumma View Post
    I am sold either way for my sub. I dont get all this fence sitting on the part of MOTUC collectors. From a money standpoint I get it, but if you cant afford it you cant afford it! So that means to me if you suddenly find the money after a strong reveal that you could have subed up and supported the line all along.
    It's about whether or not it's worth the money to those people, which is perfectly understandable. If Mattel shows five figures and you're only interested in one of them, you're a whole lot less likely to find the spare change to pay for a sub than if you like three or four of those reveals.

    It's not our responsibility to support the line, as some folks tend to imply. If Mattel isn't offering things that enough folks want to buy to keep the line going, that is on them, not us.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  8. #58
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    What's being done differently is that I will PASS on "Sub or Die".

    Oh wait, that's what I do every year, nevermind.

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior RyanSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It's not our responsibility to support the line, as some folks tend to imply. If Mattel isn't offering things that enough folks want to buy to keep the line going, that is on them, not us.
    This should be posted in every thread of every forum that discusses MOTUC.

    I have a feeling though its going to be worse this year. For all this talk of a 'all star 2014,' there's not really any all-stars left. There's POP B and C listers, and mostly C and D listers left from the vintage line. Again, they're at the point where they're bleeding customers. Very few are jumping into the line at this point, and going the rumored 'sub-only' will basically stop anyone new coming in at all. Then you have the semi-hardcore fans who've been around a while, subbed in the past but didn't want every figure, and those people are dropping off the most I think as the A listers are now done. Plus you have all the international fans who are spending $60+ per figure, so a lot may opt to not sub in 2014 due to financial reasons.

    Personally, I hope they show something new and different besides the figures at SDCC. Show us a Battle Ram, or a Snake Mountain Pre-order, or something new entirely. They've got to keep this line fresh, not just 'same 'ole same 'ole.' Castle Grayskull injected some much needed life into this line, but unfortunately it has some issues at this point.

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior BrettX209's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sacramento area
    Posts
    187
    Exactly. It's not that I can't afford a sub, I just have no desire to sub up for 20+ figures if there's only going to be 3-4 that I actually want. If that means I end up having to pay extra on the secondary market, to me that is preferable to getting stuck with 15+ figures that I don't want.

    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It's not our responsibility to support the line, as some folks tend to imply. If Mattel isn't offering things that enough folks want to buy to keep the line going, that is on them, not us.

  11. #61
    Court Magician MykEdwards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Under Evil Lyn's Skirt
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    For all this talk of a 'all star 2014,' there's not really any all-stars left. There's POP B and C listers, and mostly C and D listers left from the vintage line.
    I agree, but I think what they mean by "All star" is that we're only going to see characters that have been previously made. No concept characters, no show-only characters (barring the Filmation sub), and no new characters (like King He-Man).
    Then again, that's just my speculation. Like I said, I agree with you (and your whole post, just cut it down for space), but at least we'll have held an actual figure of everything that's coming out in '14 (again, my speculation, or the way I read it at least).

  12. #62
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,710
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    I have a feeling though its going to be worse this year. For all this talk of a 'all star 2014,' there's not really any all-stars left. There's POP B and C listers, and mostly C and D listers left from the vintage line. Again, they're at the point where they're bleeding customers. Very few are jumping into the line at this point, and going the rumored 'sub-only' will basically stop anyone new coming in at all. Then you have the semi-hardcore fans who've been around a while, subbed in the past but didn't want every figure, and those people are dropping off the most I think as the A listers are now done. Plus you have all the international fans who are spending $60+ per figure, so a lot may opt to not sub in 2014 due to financial reasons.
    In fairness, though most of the big classic MOTU guys are made, characters like Glimmer and Angella would have to be considered A-listers for POP, and NA Skeletor and Hydron are still MIA from NA. And from Eternia, there's still two Snake Men, the much requested Modulock, and the two rock warriors. Admittedly, with Rammy heading up this year's offerings, the most requested big guns have pretty much been made, but I think there is enough to keep the line going another year, if it makes it. In this case, I'm hoping Mattel, by listening to the fans who asked for this approach, will be giving us product people do actually want. I'm hoping we do hit that point for most folks where there's more they do want than don't want. I would just hope that, if that doesn't happen, we don't blame our fellow fans for not subbing because they don't feel that way. Mattel blames us enough for things that go wrong with the line; we don't need to be blaming each other.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,070
    Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    I agree, but I think what they mean by "All star" is that we're only going to see characters that have been previously made. No concept characters, no show-only characters (barring the Filmation sub), and no new characters (like King He-Man).
    Then again, that's just my speculation. Like I said, I agree with you (and your whole post, just cut it down for space), but at least we'll have held an actual figure of everything that's coming out in '14 (again, my speculation, or the way I read it at least).
    Jeez, I really hope that's not how they define "All stars." I still want Eldor, Prahvus, Veena, 2002 Evilseed, Lodar, Darius, Dactys, and prototype Mara more than Blast Attack, Dragstor, Squeeez, Rotar, Twistoid, Vizar, Spinnerella, Flutterina, Artilla, Hydron, or Nocturna, and having to wait for all those to be made before I can hope for any of the others does not make 2014 look good to me.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

  14. #64
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,030
    The year needs to begin with Glimmer, Two-Bad, Scorpia and Modulok. They do that, then 2014 will be a go, so long as there are NO expensive multi-packs and if quarterly items are added, they aren't anymore than $50 each.

    Cool quarterly items would be Q1: Modulok ($30), Q2: Madame Razz and Broom ($30), Q3: Filmation Hordak with Imp ($30) and Q4: NA Skeletor ($25)
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior Micro-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    728
    I dunno, to me it seems there are still plenty of big names left to make that could keep things going past 2015. Characters like Modulok, Two-Bad, Ninjor, Extendar, Rio Blast, Tung Lashor, Glimmer, Stonedar, Rokkon, Queen Angella, Gwildor, Blade, Hydron, and Flogg may technically be C-List characters in the grand scheme of the MOTU universe to some but they're far from being nobodies, IMO.

    I agree with Gbagok that it's unfortunate that newer, obscure or just-plain-cool non-vintage characters like Veena, Prahvus, Eldor, and Mara will be off the table until 2016. While I'm confident that 2014 & 2015 vintage "heavy hitters" subs will sell well, I'm more afraid that vintage purists will walk away from MOTUC when the best offerings left to do are POP, NA, and Filmation characters. Personally, I'd rather have Crita before Ninjor because I'm not a fan of all the vintage figures.

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    7,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    I agree with Gbagok that it's unfortunate that newer, obscure or just-plain-cool non-vintage characters like Veena, Prahvus, Eldor, and Mara will be off the table until 2016.
    Woah, wait, are they off the table until 2016, or is that still just fan speculation? I hope it's no true! I do totally want Ninjor sooner than later though.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    390
    I think I'm going to ask all this here, I thought about starting a 'idiots guide to MOTUC' thread but I don't feel very confident today so I'll just ask here as my biggest questions are all subscription related, i hope this is ok.

    I only found out this line existed this year, why is a long story and for now it doesn't really matter - and before this year the only type of subscription I'd heard of was for magazines - so now you understand my level of ignorance I have questions, please help:

    1) I go to subscribe because I want to guarantee I get a lot of the figures past May and...it's sold out (and I can't even find a reference to the Filmation sub on the site). How can a subscription sell out? It's not a thing it's just putting your name down for something

    2) so I guess it means that it's not available at the moment but why wouldn't it be available (especially as you can't cancel the sub once you start)?

    3) So I come on here (great site btw) and it seems that subscriptions aren't going to be available again until 'SDCC' which I think means the San Diego Comic Convention and I think is in...July?

    4) I'm happy to sign up in July but will singing up get me the rest of the figures for that year (New Adventures He-Man, Mantenna etc) and if it does will I miss Clamp Champ anyway as he's July's figure?

    5) if not would I just be subscribing to the figures for 2014 (from what I've heard it still doesn't sound like a bad thing to do this)? and even though it's only April now and will only be July then does that mean that there's no way of me guaranteeing I get figures from as late as October like Mantenna at retail price?

    6) If that is true are the figures going on sale normally? it seems that they go on sale on the 15th at 12 noon US time?

    7) further, are the Filmation sub figures also going to go on sale normally? ('cos it would be rather irritating to have to buy Shokoti on the second market or with mark-up from an ebay 'pre-orderer') because there seemed to be some kind of switch with Strobo, Fang-Man and King He-Man and now people are paying up-to-and-over 100 quid for obscure characters

    8) which is a point, what did happen with Strobo, Fang-Man and King He-Man to cause them to command such high prices?

    I think that's all of it lol. Thanks for reading this and hopefully for taking pity on a newbie and explaining it for him.
    Last edited by dwitefry; April 1, 2013 at 08:54pm. Reason: tone

  18. #68
    Royal Guard Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,792
    I will try and answer your questions Dwitefly.

    Essentially, Mattel has increasingly moved to a "sub only" type buy in for the figures. This is because they say they need to know numbers (guaranteed sales) before the tool up and manufacture a years worth of figures. So yes, you have to wait till SDCC and then you can subscribe to all of the 2014 range - the current figures for 2013 were on sale last July through till August just as next years line will be in a few months.

    Now, many figures will still have "day of" stock available on the sales dates, usually the 15th of every month - so you should be able to pick up mantenna for example when he goes on sales - but these figures do sell out and they are charged at a higher rate vs what subscribers pay over the year. Also some figures have "no day of sale" as they were made in more limited numbers (it is unlcrea why this is but I suspect its just based on how many are produced - Mattel are never going to tell us as it is a legality they won't go into) so Fangman for excample now goes for huge prices online because he was npot available for none subscribers.

    Hope all that helps - I really think you should subscribe for the 2014 line, these figures are fantastic and i for one am glad you found these boards as there are a lot of great fans here who will be mroe than happy to reintroduce you to the brand.
    The Lurkiest

    **Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    390
    Thank you very much Jeevesosiris that was all very helpful and pretty much answered everything I wanted to know.

    It's quite an odd thing to do but I can kind of see Mattel's point in having some kind of assurance, especially with the line moving in more obscure territories (like Fang Man or Octavia), but it's quite frustrating for buyers, this pretty much means that people who missed the window, or like me didn't even know there was a window to start with are going to have quite a lot of difficulty getting some fairly 'big' figures (New Adventures He-Man and Shokoti is who I'm thinking of specifically) it surely must cost some sales (mind you maybe it balances out some how) - I don't even know what 12 noon in American corresponds to in the UK.
    Still i don't have to worry until July and Fang Man style funny business aside i can't see Clamp Champ reaching Teela or Shadow Weaver prices.

    Thanks again, I figure I will subscribe in July - with Rio Blast and a lot of the Snake Men still to come it seems sensible, and yeah the boards are really interesting to read, I'm pretty poor at keeping up with posting on forums (unless I want something like this lol) but I'm impressed.

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior Micro-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    728
    Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    I think I'm going to ask all this here, I thought about starting a 'idiots guide to MOTUC' thread but I don't feel very confident today so I'll just ask here as my biggest questions are all subscription related, i hope this is ok.

    I only found out this line existed this year, why is a long story and for now it doesn't really matter - and before this year the only type of subscription I'd heard of was for magazines - so now you understand my level of ignorance I have questions, please help:
    Hey there and welcome to collecting MOTUC figures! I started my collection a little over a year ago and understand the initial confusion regarding subs, I missed out the first time too!

    1. Yeah, the 2013 sub was available from July to August and is now listed as Sold Out. The same thing goes for the 2013 Filmation sub which closed on December, I think. The 2014 sub will go on sale around SDCC, although there were some hints that they may put them up on sale, completely sight unseen, as early as May this year.

    2. As the number of A-List characters left to make have diminished, Mattel has started favoring the Subscription model to guarantee they'll have enough sales to justify production of all the figures for the whole year. Since the production process is something that needs to be planned well in advance, the subs are only open for a limited time. The sales numbers in August determine how to set production numbers for the following year.

    3. Yes, SDCC will reveal the first figures planned for the 2014 sub, along with the sub exclusive figure (I think). The subs will then go one sale around the same time, unless they open the sub window in May this year. If that happens, you can buy the 2014 sub earlier but without knowing what figures are slated yet. The only thing we know right now is that 2014 and 2015 are supposed to be packed with vintage characters aimed at completing as many factions (MOTU, Horde, Snake Men, POP, etc) as possible.

    4. No, the sub you sign up for later this year will only be for figures starting in January 2014.

    5. Regular Day of Sale figures will be available monthly on Mattycollector, with a few exceptions. Each monthly figure will generally be $2 more expensive on DOS than with a subscription.

    6. Yes, DOS will normally be on the 15th of each month, starting at 9AM PST. I highly recommend being online at the start of the sale since most figures are selling out within an hour. (Some in less than 10 minutes!)

    7. Yes, most of the Filmation figures will be offered in the monthly sales. So far, only the 4th unannounced figure (Teaser pics heavily hint it to be Sea Hawk) is confirmed not to be available on DOS in October.

    8. King He-Man is the sub-exclusive figure, so he's pricier on the secondary market. Fang Man was the first figure to not be offered in the monthly sale, making him an unofficial sub-exclusive. Strobo was released in limited early quantities as a sub bonus last month and sold out in 60 seconds! Strobo will be the traveling convention exclusive for GrayskullCon, Power Con, and NYCC later this year, though. Any leftover stock will then be offered on Mattycollector in Nov/Dec. So personally, I'm not upset about missing out on him because he'll be released in greater numbers in a few months.

    Well, I hope this helps!

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    390
    wow, that was even more helpful - thank you very much. And it's nice to see someone else was in the same boat (Land Shark?) as me

    I'm glad that it seems the Filmation figures will be going up for non subscribers, I am keen to get a Shokoti and it's nice that I won't have to pay pre-order or secondary market mark-up for a favourite of mine and 9am Pacific Standard Time seems to translate to 5pm Greenwich Mean Time which is exceptionally handy for me.

  22. #72
    Gimme Granita! Scorpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,521
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I think the quarterlies should be $30 single figures that require major tooling like Ram Man did (so characters like Modulok, Muli-Bot, Madame Razz (with Broom and Loo-Kee), Dylamug and Sagitar etc... I think folks would be happy with 12x $25 figures, 4x $30 figures and the $25 sub exclusive.
    Definitely agree with this. Ram-Man sort of established the potential for a new regular slot, like Battle Cat did for the beasts as Tytus did for the giants. I'd love Madame Razz and Dylamug - both are easily worth $5 more. Although I feel they'd try and rinse a bit more out of us for Modulok, Multi-Bot and Sagitar...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •