Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Subs, what's being done differently this year?

Personally, i don't think the reveals matter as much as we think they do, Ram man and shadow weaver were revealed at sub selling times to no avail. But the SDCC 2010 reveals for 2011 (the most subbed year) was Vikor,Bow, PE He-man, Palace guard, shadow beast... the only major release was King Hsss

I am sure it effects some folk it effects but i think its more maturation of the line. IMOA i think its silly to worry subbing on reveals, its either your in for the full hall or your cherry picking , i think most people know how they collect now, the only big impact matty can make it if it does Sub only, (personally i think its what the filmation sub was a test for )

Heroic Warrior
    2014 Subs, what's being done differently this year?
    In order for you to get an answer to this particular question, you'll have to wait until SDCC, in July.

So this means that all there will be in this thread is pointless speculation.

There's only one thing you can bet : TG and Matty will have another aggressive marketing campaign for the 2014 MOTUC sub.

Now, another big question is : will there be a 2014 line, and if so, how many figures will there be in that 2014 line ?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    On RGD 115, Scott said he'd be cool opening the subs early, but you wouldn't know whats in it til SDCC. I think it's a great idea. You can judge how many diehards are willing to buy upfront & after they are locked in they can work on getting the fence sitters. I see only good coming from this. An extra month or 2 could generate alot of sales.
    Did congress pass a law I'm unaware of that forbids Mattel from showing figures from next year's sub before SDCC? Is there some unimaginable curse that will befall any company that does not wait for this event to show their wares?

THis is the kind of self-imposed idiocy that we see so often from Mattel; there may well be a real, logical reason to set August as the deadline for getting the subs in due to production schedules and such. That's understandable. But there is nothing in the world preventing Mattel from opening the subs up at the beginning of July and showing some of the figures (especially some they know the fans have been begging for) at that time. Save a few reveals for SDCC, but don't sacrifice potential sales because you want to make a big splash. Truthfully, MOTUC can get a little lost amid all the things being shown at SDCC, and, with most companies waiting to show their wares there, there's usually a bit of a drought of toy reveals during the weeks preceding the event. Toy collectors are looking for some snippets of news, and a few major reveals and the start of the subs could very well get a little more attention because its a slow news time.

Locking yourself into self-imposed restrictions simply because "that's the way we've always done it" is a foolish way to run a toy line, especially when there's a chance you might actually get a longer sales window and more sales by changing your game up a little. They'd still have SDCC and a couple of new surprises to spark the usual interest in July.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    did congress pass a law i'm unaware of that forbids mattel from showing figures from next year's sub before sdcc? Is there some unimaginable curse that will befall any company that does not wait for this event to show their wares?

This is the kind of self-imposed idiocy that we see so often from mattel; there may well be a real, logical reason to set august as the deadline for getting the subs in due to production schedules and such. That's understandable. But there is nothing in the world preventing mattel from opening the subs up at the beginning of july and showing some of the figures (especially some they know the fans have been begging for) at that time. Save a few reveals for sdcc, but don't sacrifice potential sales because you want to make a big splash. Truthfully, motuc can get a little lost amid all the things being shown at sdcc, and, with most companies waiting to show their wares there, there's usually a bit of a drought of toy reveals during the weeks preceding the event. Toy collectors are looking for some snippets of news, and a few major reveals and the start of the subs could very well get a little more attention because its a slow news time.

Locking yourself into self-imposed restrictions simply because "that's the way we've always done it" is a foolish way to run a toy line, especially when there's a chance you might actually get a longer sales window and more sales by changing your game up a little. They'd still have sdcc and a couple of new surprises to spark the usual interest in july.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^
    My Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdi0veA8Kn0

Vintage Collector:
    Sell Me your MOC Vintage

My Feed Back Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...61#post3202161

Don't all the major toy companies save their reveals until SDCC, New York Toy Fair, NYCC, etc.? I don't think it's just Mattel that handles their PR for action figures in this manner.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    After the "Fisto Fiasco" last year, I am very hesitant to buy a sub in 2014. They never addressed the mistake to their customers in a meaningful way, and many loyal sub holders had to resort to buying the figure on Ebay, because Mattel didn't give them the Fisto figure they were promised. If they offer a re-release of Fisto, I will buy a 2014 subscription. Otherwise, I will just be cherry picking.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; March 26, 2013 at 01:31am.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

No more three packs, or Giants either, please!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    boy are you just not a ray of sunshine.

yes its speculation, which is no different then 98% of the threads on any toys board lol
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I think no more 3 paks or giants are a given. However the only thing else Mattel will do differently is character selection. I doubt we will ever see the likes of the Wind Raider pilot or anything from concept drawings again.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Don't all the major toy companies save their reveals until SDCC, New York Toy Fair, NYCC, etc.? I don't think it's just Mattel that handles their PR for action figures in this manner.
    Except the other major toy companies don't then have a mere three week window to sell all their wares. The sub is an entirely different animal than 99.9% of the other things shown at SDCC. When Hasbro is showing their new Marvel Universe figures, they are basically just promoting them to the fans; it has little to no effect on whether or not they will actually sell them to retailers. It's pure promotion, and the actual buyers, retailers, likely already know what's coming up. For the sub, this isn't just some fun PR; the reveal here is what is actually SELLING the sub to it's buyers, namely us. As such, pinning the whole thing to an artificial point like SDCC is foolish. What Mattel needs to do is try to figure out the optimum window for the subs, determine when the deadline for getting them in has to be for them to be able to start production, and use that information (the only really important information in this case) to determine when the subs should open to allow for maximum sales. It's not going to be an exact science, but one would hope the worlds largest toy maker could at least come up with a ball park figure.

The argument of "everyone else does it that way" is shaky enough under normal circumstances; given that doing so here could have a significant effect on lowering sub sales, it has little at all to support it here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    I know for legal reasons they can't reveal everything, but it would help if they could find a way.
    I don't think that's fact. It's just their preference of how they want to do it... they know people will scream if a fig that was announced gets pushed to the following year and thus not in the Sub for the current year. Maybe in the sense that they don't want to deal with people who may threaten to sue for breach of contract, but all they have to do is add a disclamar that the announced lineup is subject to change. I think it's just for CYA (cover your @$$) reasons. They certainly could announce a tenative relaease list for the upcoming year; they claim to have it mapped out years in advance, so there is nothing legal stopping them from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    I don't think that's fact. It's just their preference of how they want to do it... they know people will scream if a fig that was announced gets pushed to the following year and thus not in the Sub for the current year. Maybe in the sense that they don't want to deal with people who may threaten to sue for breach of contract, but all they have to do is add a disclamar that the announced lineup is subject to change. I think it's just for CYA (cover your @$$) reasons. They certainly could announce a tenative relaease list for the upcoming year; they claim to have it mapped out years in advance, so there is nothing legal stopping them from doing so.
    I think the REAL reason is (And I am NOT picking on the guy just stating a belief) Scott Likes the spectacle of the reveals at SDCC.
    I don't blame him, you work hard on putting stuff together it's nice to get the live response. I'd like that too! BUT I would also understand the fans concerns, and I'd see no issue with revealing characters by name and saving the visuals for SDCC. that way you get the best of both worlds.

But I can tell you what's being done by ME for the 2014 sub...I'm out.
    DR shipping is too high. it's not as high for mattels other collector club. these figures are totaling $50 each with customs. that's WAY too expensive
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 26, 2013 at 11:16am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I reject the entire premise of this thread. I don't think they'll do anything differently. It will be the usual minimal reveals at SDCC followed by the limited subscription window, hand wringing/threatening by Toy Guru, and extension to the subscription window. As I've said before, the only change at this point that would convince me to sub again would be if Matty finally dropped Digital River. That's the only gesture I can think of at this point that would tell me "yes, we ARE committed to improvement".

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    In order for you to get an answer to this particular question, you'll have to wait until SDCC, in July.

There's only one thing you can bet : TG and Matty will have another aggressive marketing campaign for the 2014 MOTUC sub.

Now, another big question is : will there be a 2014 line, and if so, how many figures will there be in that 2014 line ?
    I can agree with your 'aggressive' label - since they are always crying that the sky is falling and we had better sub up or we risk missing out on figures and that the line may die entirely. But a big problem is that Mattel has done virtually zero marketing with this line. They can't even buy an HD camera to do videos with. I don't think you actually meant a real marketing campaign - you're just talking about TG showing up on RGD and message boards and trying to scare people, right? Because that's all they do (plus sending out review figures). Pixel Dan, The Fwoosh, and the other reviewers should get a commission because I bet he sells more of these figures than TG does.

Maybe Mattel should send some of these figures to celebrities who grew up in the 80's in the hopes they might throw a tweet or two out. God forbid Mattel spend any money - why would they, there's little reason for new subscribers to come on board since they can't catch up outside of ebay. Mattel doesn't really care about keeping their current customers, much less attracting new ones.

I think the quarterlies should be $30 single figures that require major tooling like Ram Man did (so characters like Modulok, Muli-Bot, Madame Razz (with Broom and Loo-Kee), Dylamug and Sagitar etc... I think folks would be happy with 12x $25 figures, 4x $30 figures and the $25 sub exclusive.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Funny thing is, the Joe sub, despite the problems I believe it had actually getting started, showed EVERY figure in the sub up front. They didn't say what order they'd ship in, but there was apparently no legal reason they couldn't reveal the full line-up (if there were, I'm sure Hasbro's lawyers would have stepped in). So whatever "legal" reasons there are exist only in Mattel's legal department's fevered minds or in some nebulous contract or agreement that was poorly thought out.

THere's no breach of contract as long as Mattel uses the standard hedging of "content subject to change" when the sub figures are announced. They and every other toy maker do this with the cases of toys they send out to retailers. Simply state up front that the list may change due to circumstances beyond their control. They already make such changes on a fairly regular basis, anyway, so I fail to see the problem of revealing what's on the list for this year.

Truthfully, I believe the main reason for keeping so much secret is to give them the opportunity to try to worm in things like Snake Man at Arms or other cheap re-dos if they need to cut costs or pad profits. Once your locked in, you take what they give you, and they like that arrangement...

Heroic Warrior
    But a big problem is that Mattel has done virtually zero marketing with this line. They can't even buy an HD camera to do videos with. I don't think you actually meant a real marketing campaign - you're just talking about TG showing up on RGD and message boards and trying to scare people, right?
    Yeah, you're perfectly right : the "marketing campaign" I was refering to was the aggressive push to sell the subs.

I laughed so hard when I read your camera comment !

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Yes this!!!!!!!
    Yeah! Make us pay double shipping for as many items as possible!!!

Wait...no...bad idea.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Is there even going to BE a 2014?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    Is there even going to BE a 2014?
    I think that's the whole concern, and the reason for this thread. Folks don't want a repeat of last year's sad spectacle, so that's why people are tossing out ideas that one can only hope Mattel might pick up on.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I think the quarterlies should be $30 single figures that require major tooling like Ram Man did (so characters like Modulok, Muli-Bot, Madame Razz (with Broom and Loo-Kee), Dylamug and Sagitar etc... I think folks would be happy with 12x $25 figures, 4x $30 figures and the $25 sub exclusive.
    This! That's a perfect sub, as far as I'm concerned. All other items(beasts, giants, weapons paks, variants) need to be outside the sub!

Funny thing is, the Joe sub, despite the problems I believe it had actually getting started, showed EVERY figure in the sub up front. They didn't say what order they'd ship in, but there was apparently no legal reason they couldn't reveal the full line-up (if there were, I'm sure Hasbro's lawyers would have stepped in). So whatever "legal" reasons there are exist only in Mattel's legal department's fevered minds or in some nebulous contract or agreement that was poorly thought out.

THere's no breach of contract as long as Mattel uses the standard hedging of "content subject to change" when the sub figures are announced. They and every other toy maker do this with the cases of toys they send out to retailers. Simply state up front that the list may change due to circumstances beyond their control. They already make such changes on a fairly regular basis, anyway, so I fail to see the problem of revealing what's on the list for this year.

Truthfully, I believe the main reason for keeping so much secret is to give them the opportunity to try to worm in things like Snake Man at Arms or other cheap re-dos if they need to cut costs or pad profits. Once your locked in, you take what they give you, and they like that arrangement...
    I am a member of the Hot Wheels Collectors Club and I bought into their subscription this year. They posted the full list of all the vehicles in the subscription, w/o photos. So this cant be just a Mattel thing. It is a marketing ploy.

If they want to sweeten the deal, in addition to dropping Digital River, they need to make it so sub holders can make additional purchases AND combine shipping into one order. It's really not that difficult. See BBTS's "pile of loot" system.

Widget

The G.I. Joe Collector Club Figure Sub is not Hasbro. The Club has to work with and get permission from Hasbro to make certian figures. If Hasbro thinks they will eventually release a character they can tell the Joe Club that they can not use a paticular mold or that they can't touch a character at all.

The Clubs decision to show all of the figures at once had nothing to do with hasbro Legal. The Club Subscription service was running so late with delays they had to show people what they were getting. The Clubs site still has problems at checkout for me. I just gave up on them and let my membership expire. I don't need to have to change my primary credit card again because of them.

I think Mattels legal reason not to show us everything planned for a sub year all at once is so that they don't have to actually stick to it. They are very conservative when it comes to this. We all know about production delays and such, but immagine if they told us we were getting a character before we signed up for the sub but then for any reason could not come threw with that character. It's all about protecting them from having to break a contract.

I hope they extend the Sub period to before and well after SDCC and are able to reveal enough wanted characters to make people want to get a sub. Am I getting the 2014 sub because I love the franchise or because I have to have them all? It should not matter. If Mattel makes the offering attractive enough new and old subscribers will make it happen. They really do need to cut back on the large beast/ 3 fig paks that hardly anyone would want. Keep the sub simple, flush out Filmation, POP, and NA stuff with seperate mini subs and let the loyal collectors finish there MOTU collections.