Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Female Faces Close-Up Thread

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Adora is fantastic....... or fan-plastic!

The Filmation-inspired sculpt/paint apps are excellent!

I also like the work they did on the Sorceress...... and Netossa, this line keeps getting more and more awesome! (Can't wait for Castaspella............ and hopefully our first female NA character soon!!!)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Man, oh man, do I love that NETOSSA face sculpt!!!

But they all look really great. Loads of work and planning are put into these things. Many times, I've wished that non-collectors could see that these are more than just silly, generic, chunks of plastic made for 10 year olds.
    Agreed. As corporate as toy companies are, and as mass produced as the toys are, it's still a kind of art to me.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Here's everbody's favorite kitten Catra. I think her look is absolutely fantastic ...

Last edited by belmont; March 16, 2013 at 02:11pm.

Great thread! Looking forward to Starla when you make your way around to her.

I think all the female figures in the line have had issues with the face. I'm not saying they are bad, but they don't seem to come off nearly as well as the male faces, at least to me. They seem to be lacking that wow factor. The female faces in Filmation are very angular and this isn't translating too well on the female faces of the figures. Frosta is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. To a certain extent, the female faces seem too similar from figure to figure.

Contrary to popular opinion, my favorite female face is, ironically, Queen Marlena's. To me it is the closest to the angular look of Filmation (especially around the cheek bones; although, it could be more angular) and my figure doesn't seem to possess the bug eyes like everyone says she has, at least not to me.
    Last edited by csc0709; March 15, 2013 at 11:21am.

I have no prior affinity to Netossa, and I'm not a MOTUC completist, but I bought her simply because she's one of the most stunning female action figure face sculpts I've ever seen.

I still really hate the Sorceress' orange eyeshadow. I wish theywould have gone with blue or violet or brown - it's especially a shame they didn't use a light violet for it with the TOD Sorceress.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

wow, all of the girls that close up are a lil scary! I love Teela the best, then Starla, SHe-Ra, Adora, Sorceress are all tied, Netossa, Evil Lynn, then Catra then the other Star Sisters and Marlena. Frosta would be great, but I think the paint job on mine makes her less than perfect.
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I think all the female figures in the line have had issues with the face. I'm not saying they are bad, but they don't seem to come off nearly as well as the male faces, at least to me. They seem to be lacking that wow factor. The female faces in Filmation are very angular and this isn't translating too well on the female faces of the figures. Frosta is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. To a certain extent, the female faces seem too similar from figure to figure.

Contrary to popular opinion, my favorite female face is, ironically, Queen Marlena's. To me it is the closest to the angular look of Filmation (especially around the cheek bones; although, it could be more angular) and my figure doesn't seem to possess the bug eyes like everyone says she has, at least not to me.
    Hmmmmmm, you bring up an interesting proposition. Maybe someone should start a close-up male heads picture thread. (Try saying that five times fast!)

I would love to see the awesome details the 4H put into their work....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Here's The Goddess - she's beautiful

She really is! Great figure (after swapping out her crotch piece with Teela's; mine sports white panties now...)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

First, thanks for the nice words guys and your appreciation to this thread. I can also asure you I'm having a lot of fun making those close-ups, though my lighting is very amateurish (just one soft light from the right), but luckily the rest of my hardware isn't

And just to kill all illusions - the figures look a lot worse in the originals. EVERY picture is touched up. No scratches, curbs, black spots, sloppy paint-jobs anymore. I removed everything

And now get ready for Queen Marlena ... a bit too comical for my taste

And here's Captain Glenn

Last edited by belmont; March 17, 2013 at 04:38am.

Not seeing the pictures yet due to a work internet filter, but I can say I tend to like the MOTUC female faces in general. I tend to prefer women with fairly strong jaws/chins in general, so the sculpts for Teela (regular and Battleground), Sorceress, and Queen Marlena come to mind.

Next up: the Star Sisters: Let's begin with the beautiful Starla, wonderful face!

PS: I have now finished all females. Ready for the flood

Oooo that's bad. Poor Frosta.

Your Starla has a googly eye, haha. I can't look past it. Kind of a shame since she's my favorite female face sculpt so far in the line.

I've always thought TOD Sorceress had the best face, even better than regular Sorceress.

Has anyone photoshopped some color into Marlena's pupils? Maybe the same green as her dress?
    I love her sculpt, but yeah, it does seem weird that she has solid black eyes.
    The winner so far: Catra!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

And this is Tool Time's Jill Taylor aka Jewelstar

Netossa's face sculpt is the best female face of the line so far IMO.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I never realized how much of a man hater jaundice Evil-Lyn looks like. YIKES!
    Kittens are delicious!

And here is Tallstar

Oh, I like Tallstar... Nice.

Heroic Master of Nothing crt622's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Has anyone photoshopped some color into Marlena's pupils? Maybe the same green as her dress?
    I'm not that great at photoshop but i decided to give it a shot. All i did was give her green eyes close to the color of her dress.Q_Marlena_green_o1.jpgQ_Marlena_green_o2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by crt622 View Post
    I'm not that great at photoshop but i decided to give it a shot. All i did was give her green eyes close to the color of her dress.Q_Marlena_green_o1.jpgQ_Marlena_green_o2.jpg
    Very nice! Thanks... yeah that looks great.