Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Monster Characters in MOTU?

Heroic Monster Characters in MOTU?

So, I'm a big fan of heroes that are literally monsters (e.g. Hellboy, Swamp Thing, The Hulk) or characters that have a scary motif going on (e.g. Batman).

So I've been thinking on whether or not there are any heroic characters in MOTU that really qualify as monstrous or scary.

I mean, there's Man-E-Faces...but his monster persona is too part-time to really make him a monstrous hero. Moss Man is a plant elemental like Swamp Thing, so he might count, depending on your take.

Honestly, I think the closest to this idea is Buzz-Off. A 6 foot bee-man would be fairly alarming if you didn't know his allegiances. There's shades of 'The Fly' going on there, too.

But for the most part, the franchise seems to hold to the very polarized Good Guys= Bright, Noble Looking, Mostly Human/ Bad Guys= Monsters.

What do you think about this? Is there anyone I'm missing? Do you think there should be more monstrous heroes? Or should monsters continue to be relegated to villain status by default?
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    I like monstrous heroes. I like that appearances can be deceiving and while a character may appear "bad" at first glance, they can in fact be heroic.

Castle Grayskullman is probably the most "monstrous" hero that I can think of in the MOTUC line. Apart from Frosta's horrendous production issues of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I like monstrous heroes. I like that appearances can be deceiving and while a character may appear "bad" at first glance, they can in fact be heroic.

Castle Grayskullman is probably the most "monstrous" hero that I can think of in the MOTUC line. Apart from Frosta's horrendous production issues of course!
    that's right...i'd forgotten about castle grayskull man. i suppose he counts. he's certainly somewhat spooky looking.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

The Faceless One, He is kind of Phantom of the Opera-ish.

It also looks like Red Beast is a good guy in the comics.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    How about Lord Dactys ? He looks a lot like a Gargoyle!

BTW I want a figure of him!

Also I could see Grizzlor, MOTU's Bigfoot, switching to the defenders after breaking the spell that controls him.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

In the New Adventures cartoon there's Grot (Hippo Man) and Meliac (blue cyclops.)

The She-Ra cartoon has King Ahgo...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

MOTU is pretty monsteracist. There was Cambro in the Filmation episode The Heart of a Giant. I wish they would make a toy of him for MOTUC. Could use Ram mans arms at least.
    He didn't look like an outright monster but he was pretty scary and evil looking. I had sleep walking nightmares about him as a child lol. When I woke up out of my bed I thought he had come and taken me out.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonLimeGygor View Post
    In the New Adventures cartoon there's Grot (Hippo Man) and Meliac (blue cyclops.)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../c/c8/Grot.jpg
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../0e/Meliac.jpg
    I want Grot!
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Yeah, that's one thing that made me prefer the villains in MOTU as a kid - they got all the cool monster guys.

Stratos is pretty non-human, but he's too friendly looking and doesn't have a monster vibe. Ditto Orko.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Garth from the Filmation series would be one. I really like his pre-transformation look too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    How about Lord Dactys ? He looks a lot like a Gargoyle!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...nia/dactys.jpg
    BTW I want a figure of him!

Also I could see Grizzlor, MOTU's Bigfoot, switching to the defenders after breaking the spell that controls him.
    Lord Dactys would be so awesome. I was so glad when the speleans showed up in the MYP cartoon. They definitely went against the grain for heroic design in MOTU. Now that i think about it, the caedians did, too.

on a side note, this is why i display my palace guards with NON-HUMAN heads.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonLimeGygor View Post

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../c/c8/Grot.jpg
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../0e/Meliac.jpg
    Those guys are pretty cool! i must admit to being an NA noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    The She-Ra cartoon has King Ahgo...
    i like, i like!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    MOTU is pretty monsteracist. There was Cambro in the Filmation episode The Heart of a Giant. I wish they would make a toy of him for MOTUC. Could use Ram mans arms at least.
    He didn't look like an outright monster but he was pretty scary and evil looking. I had sleep walking nightmares about him as a child lol. When I woke up out of my bed I thought he had come and taken me out.
    "monsteracist"..LOL

yeah, cambro was pretty cool. i'd like to think that if the filmation sub goes well that we might see him in figure form...but i don't really see his name pop up in any polls or lists. maybe i'll have to start advocating him...

even then, it's a long shot with how much tooling he needs. i guess when i was thinking about this subject, i was thinking about characters who were already figures...or had a really good chance to become figures. it's a shame, because all of these guys mentioned are pretty cool. we need some good monster females, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Garth from the Filmation series would be one. I really like his pre-transformation look too.
    definitely! i'm a huge garth advocate!
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

No Ceretus mention yet? I believe Dragoon & Daimar went good in the end so do they count?

I guess if he counts, there is that big mole creature from the He-Man toon. I dunno his name though.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Well there are the Caligars and Kulitaks are more of the monstrous aspects whom are heroic when the situation calls for it.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Sagitar.

He's a friggin' centaur.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    No Ceretus mention yet? I believe Dragoon & Daimar went good in the end so do they count?

I guess if he counts, there is that big mole creature from the He-Man toon. I dunno his name though.
    yeah, they count...i was very fond of the daimar and dragoon episodes for that reason. the problem though, is that many of these characters are all one shot characters...or they belong to a race who's most notable member is a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Sagitar.

He's a friggin' centaur.
    centaurs don't usually enter my frame of reference as far as monsters go. they're far too majestic and noble looking to be scary...sublime maybe. but we'll let sagitar in...not so much because he's a centaur...but because he's a four-armed, double-torso having dude.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Does Moss Man ring a bell? But yes it seems that all the monsters are on the bad guy side. Would people consider the metal elephant Snout Spout a monster? Or for that matter Procrustus? Stratos is a bird man. Also it doesn't help that all the heroic animal characters have smiley faces instead of frowns so its pretty hard to call Buzz Off a monster when he has that permanent smile on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakahn View Post
    Does Moss Man ring a bell? But yes it seems that all the monsters are on the bad guy side. Would people consider the metal elephant Snout Spout a monster? Or for that matter Procrustus? Stratos is a bird man. Also it doesn't help that all the heroic animal characters have smiley faces instead of frowns so its pretty hard to call Buzz Off a monster when he has that permanent smile on his face.
    moss man indeed rings a bell...in fact, i mention him in my OP. yeah, snout spout qualifies...since that elephant head is cybernetically grafted to his body (yikes). procrustus? maybe...in that old school titan kind of way.

i considered stratos, but i feel he falls too far on the majestic and noble side. i don't find smiling disqualifies a character from monster status. frankenstein and dracula have both been known to smile. besides, i feel that smiling is more a signifier of the character's inner qualities, whereas a monster is typically judged by their outer qualities...like having pincer hands and compound eyes. buzz-off's smile could be considered a little creepy with those insect fangs sticking out.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

What about Granamyr? He's a huge freakin' dragon!
    I know a lot of people compare the Horde to the "classic", Universal monsters (vampire, wolfman, etc), so it would make sense that the good guys aren't monsters. You mentioned Hulk at the beginning, which makes me think there should be a guy like him. Like, big and green and dumb but with Hulk-like strength.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Battlecat, Orko, Stratos, both Lizard Man I and II, Battle Lion, etc.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    I know a lot of people compare the Horde to the "classic", Universal monsters (vampire, wolfman, etc), so it would make sense that the good guys aren't monsters. You mentioned Hulk at the beginning, which makes me think there should be a guy like him. Like, big and green and dumb but with Hulk-like strength.
    I was thinking about Granamyr as well. Also, isn't Stratos a monster man technically?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Cambro is my most wanted figure after Huntara. I've been imagining him hanging out in the palace fixing things, helping Duncan with projects, and trying to keep Orko out of trouble.

I don't see Buzz-Off as monsterous at all really. He's always been kind of a good-lookin' guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    Battlecat, Orko, Stratos, both Lizard Man I and II, Battle Lion, etc.
    Out of the ones you listed, the lizard men are the only ones that I would consider monsters. Battle cat might fit the definition under the idea that he’s “enhanced”, but otherwise, I just consider him to be an animal. Orko isn’t really scary. I would sooner call ewoks monsters over orko. I’ll address stratos below…
    Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I was thinking about Granamyr as well. Also, isn't Stratos a monster man technically?
    Granamyr might fit the bill of a monster…but while he isn’t villainous, he isn’t really heroic either.
    Stratos comes close, but he’s still too majestic and noble looking for me to consider him a monster.
    When I think of a monster hero, I think of a character that most would assume to be evil by their appearance. It’s only until we see how the character acts that we realize that they are in fact, heroic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    I don't see Buzz-Off as monsterous at all really. He's always been kind of a good-lookin' guy...
    I think he comes closest. A lot of people are freaked out by insects…bees especially, so many, after seeing a bee-man, would likely assume that he was not friendly and find him quite scary. But you’re right, even with those qualities; he’s still designed to be on the handsome and noble side. I think buzz-off and stratos have the same problem…they both come close, but not close enough.
    I would just like it if there were a character that was sinister looking in the way that skeletor’s warriors or the horde are…but was on the side of good.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Great thread Bri-Man. I don't think I realized the amount of human good guys to monster villains there are. Buzz Off and Stratos both come off looking noble and kind. I think the closest we can get is Man-e-Monster and Moss Man. Moss Man gets the vote while sharing the Beast Man head but in both cartoons he comes off a country nobleman as well. I absolutely enjoy Moss Mans country accent.

Would anyone consider Castle Greyskullman as a monster? Stone Warrior. Perpetual howling face, dark green body. Kinda monster attributes. The Hulk Hogan hair is a bit of a stretch... : ) I do not own him yet so I have no clue if he is the ghost of King Grayskull and if that would give him less or more monster points.

Also with the inclusion of the fighting foe men would anyone consider them to be heros and if heros would a Gar be a monster. I am pretty sure one of them is of the Gar race or has Gar like traits? I know they come with Horde attachments but before they join the horde... Kind of a stretch?
    Last edited by cobrakahn; March 17, 2013 at 05:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrakahn View Post
    Great thread Bri-Man. I don't think I realized the amount of human good guys to monster villains there are. Buzz Off and Stratos both come off looking noble and kind. I think the closest we can get is Man-e-Monster and Moss Man. Moss Man gets the vote while sharing the Beast Man head but in both cartoons he comes off a country nobleman as well. I absolutely enjoy Moss Mans country accent.

Would anyone consider Castle Greyskullman as a monster? Stone Warrior. Perpetual howling face, dark green body. Kinda monster attributes. The Hulk Hogan hair is a bit of a stretch... : ) I do not own him yet so I have no clue if he is the ghost of King Grayskull and if that would give him less or more monster points.

Also with the inclusion of the fighting foe men would anyone consider them to be heros and if heros would a Gar be a monster. I am pretty sure one of them is of the Gar race or has Gar like traits? I know they come with Horde attachments but before they join the horde... Kind of a stretch?
    thanks, cobrakahn!

"country nobleman"- man, that describes moss man's demeanor to a tee. i must admit i found the 200x accent a little jarring at first, but then i thought, "this guy spends all his time with plants...of course he sounds like an orchard hand!"

yeah, we briefly went over CGM above. i don't own him either, and he's such a new character that he slipped my mind on this subject. but as i said before, he's got that spookiness that qualifies him for monster status. i'm not quite clear on how CGM works either...he's either the spirit of CG, or a creature brought to life by the spirit of CG.

i know it's forbidden or whatever to get too deep into the subject of the CAC contest, but this whole subject really makes me curious to see what other monstrous heroes might have been designed. alas, i guess it's up to matty to reveal in their own time...

i don't really consider gars to be monsters off hand. they're exotic, but not really scary or sinister by default.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS