Thread: My neighbour just passed away

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar

My neighbour just passed away

I was at home watching the footy and i went to the kitchen with my wife and heard a cry of help, help, help from behind our house, i rushed out and the elderly lady next door was just saying help, somebody help, i told my wife to ring 000 as i ran outside yelling out to my neighbour (Bruce) who lives across the road at the top of my voice also trying to draw attention to other neighbours.

I was the first there and Erik (85) was stiff, i tried to get a response and couldnt feel a pulse, so i started mouth to mouth and compressions, another neighbour jumped in and did the compressions while i did the mouth to mouth until the ambos turned up. We got the blood circulating as he wasnt stiff anymore but i just remember him not blinking. It was really tough to do this as ive done first aid courses with rubber dummies, but was hard when i had him breathing out onto me, i thought that he was coming good but i think that may had been the gasps of air from his body leaving him.

I was just informed that Erik has passed away, my first thought was why couldnt i had done better, i know i and my neighbour done all we could even the ambos said that but feel like a blanket of guilt over me as i was first there.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Master of New Adventures!
    Believe me, I understand how you feel as I was a medic in a helicopter air rescue team in the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War era. Few things are more impactful than having someone die in your arms.

What you need to know is that you did all that you could, so therefore you did your best. Try not to feel guilty. When it is time for a person to move on to another plain of existence, then it's time. Eighty-five is a good, long run. It will help you to celebrate that person's life rather than mourning their passing. When the time is right and things have settled, take some effort to look into that person's life, to find out what they accomplished and to remember them in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    I was at home watching the footy and i went to the kitchen with my wife and heard a cry of help, help, help from behind our house, i rushed out and the elderly lady next door was just saying help, somebody help, i told my wife to ring 000 as i ran outside yelling out to my neighbour (Bruce) who lives across the road at the top of my voice also trying to draw attention to other neighbours.

I was the first there and Erik (85) was stiff, i tried to get a response and couldnt feel a pulse, so i started mouth to mouth and compressions, another neighbour jumped in and did the compressions while i did the mouth to mouth until the ambos turned up. We got the blood circulating as he wasnt stiff anymore but i just remember him not blinking. It was really tough to do this as ive done first aid courses with rubber dummies, but was hard when i had him breathing out onto me, i thought that he was coming good but i think that may had been the gasps of air from his body leaving him.

I was just informed that Erik has passed away, my first thought was why couldnt i had done better, i know i and my neighbour done all we could even the ambos said that but feel like a blanket of guilt over me as i was first there.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Believe me, I understand how you feel as I was a medic in a helicopter air rescue team in the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War era. Few things are more impactful than having someone die in your arms.

What you need to know is that you did all that you could, so therefore you did your best. Try not to feel guilty. When it is time for a person to move on to another plain of existence, then it's time. Eighty-five is a good, long run. It will help you to celebrate that person's life rather than mourning their passing. When the time is right and things have settled, take some effort to look into that person's life, to find out what they accomplished and to remember them in that way.
    Thanks for the words, he was really nice, we talked every so often but always waved when he was driving in or out of the street. In his house i saw he had a heap of model aeroplanes on his wall so we had the collector aspect in common but never talked about it. Thanks again.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!