Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don`t get it at all (Artificial value of Strobo???)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    and Pro*craptus*
    No way!! The giant is great.
    Last edited by d*r*j*; March 15, 2013 at 09:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    But can you or anything else confirm that? Without proof I'm sure a lot of people are skeptical and worried that they won't be able to get one later in the year if they don't attend a Con. Who knows if Strobo will last any longer then his EA sellout later on in the year. I don't think it's fair for anyone to judge anyone for what they're buying, we all have our priorities.
    True but if he does people are no worse off then they are now, but who is to say he won't do the oppisite either. I'd recommend folks wait it out, I do agree however that no one has the right to judge others about what they buy or how much they buy it for . If folks choose to pay now it's there choice.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie3429 View Post
    True but if he does people are no worse off then they are now, but who is to say he won't do the oppisite either. I'd recommend folks wait it out, I do agree however that no one has the right to judge others about what they buy or how much they buy it for . If folks choose to pay now it's there choice.
    Oh, I agree with you. I'm not saying anyone should rush out and buy it. I was lucky enough to get mine in EA, I don't live in the US so I won't be attending any cons so this was a good opportunity to get mine and not have to wait till later this year. I got my TOD Sorceress on Matty last year with no issues like many others but my worry is that maybe they didn't produce as many STrobos, but again I have no proof either. I truly hope everyone can get one when the time comes.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I almost fell over backwards when I saw how much Strobo was selling for on eBay.... selling for, not just offered for, mind you.

The thing is, those people paying top-dollar for him don't really think they are getting ripped off. To them, Strobo is a "must have" figure and they will pay whatever the asking price..... If they've got the extra funds to do it, more power to 'em!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I apologize to everybody in advance, but I am part of the problem. I paid $70 with shipping. I don't really care anymore. I am done screwing around with this line. I have $$. I have time. I do not have any more patience. I am not going to try to make an idealogical argument as to whether Mattel has the right to "X" or I feel "Y" I like the figs...I hate the hoops, so I am done jumping through them. I will buy a sub. I may NOT cancel my teeny tiny Grayskull. (waiting until SDCC) But I am done waiting like an idiot @ 10:00 am on a workday to walk away empty handed. From now on, I am just going STRAIGHT to Ebay. If this drives the price up, so be it...my pig at the trough days are over.

I am clearly not the only person that feels like this. When you release a nostalgia line aimed at 30+ yr olds, you are hitting a group with considerable spending power. While I am by no means wealthy, I can drop $70 bucks on Strobo without feeling any pain. And that is why he is selling for $100 bucks on ebay---collectors that just want to collect and are willing to pay the extra $$ to avoid the chaos.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I apologize to everybody in advance, but I am part of the problem. I paid $70 with shipping. I don't really care anymore. I am done screwing around with this line. I have $$. I have time. I do not have any more patience. I am not going to try to make an idealogical argument as to whether Mattel has the right to "X" or I feel "Y" I like the figs...I hate the hoops, so I am done jumping through them. I will buy a sub. I may NOT cancel my teeny tiny Grayskull. (waiting until SDCC) But I am done waiting like an idiot @ 10:00 am on a workday to walk away empty handed. From now on, I am just going STRAIGHT to Ebay. If this drives the price up, so be it...my pig at the trough days are over.

I am clearly not the only person that feels like this. When you release a nostalgia line aimed at 30+ yr olds, you are hitting a group with considerable spending power. While I am by no means wealthy, I can drop $70 bucks on Strobo without feeling any pain. And that is why he is selling for $100 bucks on ebay---collectors that just want to collect and are willing to pay the extra $$ to avoid the chaos.
    Don't say sorry man! It's your choice to do so , hell I paid $90 once for man at arms and still don't regret it , I brought another when he got a rerelease around the time of snake MAA , no won can judge others on purchases , we can suggest other methods and discuss options but its the indviduals choice at the end of the day and we should all respect that, happy that your happy with your strobo !

I got nothin but love for ya brotha.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    It's funny how no one has said the real reason why Strobo sold out so fast. He sold out fast because he is being scalped to death. All the people that complain about price gouging scalpers are quick to jump on the wagon and sell their Strobo hall for insane amounts. I see the same people complain about the practice have a Strobo for sale for $125.00 or more. I'm sure many Strobo's were sold to people that don't even want him but bought him to make a fast buck. It's the old game though in that if people are dumb enough to pay crazy prices there is never a shortage of people willing to sell.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    It's funny how no one has said the real reason why Strobo sold out so fast. He sold out fast because he is being scalped to death. All the people that complain about price gouging scalpers are quick to jump on the wagon and sell their Strobo hall for insane amounts. I see the same people complain about the practice have a Strobo for sale for $125.00 or more. I'm sure many Strobo's were sold to people that don't even want him but bought him to make a fast buck. It's the old game though in that if people are dumb enough to pay crazy prices there is never a shortage of people willing to sell.
    Not sure i quite get you? are you saying he sold out fast because scalpers brought him up to sell for big bucks once he sells out fast???

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Why is Strobo going for $125 on ebay and being traded for Fisto, Shadow Weaver and Teela in the Marketplace? Sure he was a quick sellout but will be available multiple times throughout the year, so my question is this does nobody realize that after all the conventions are over he`ll be everywhere just like TOD Soceress?
    It's pretty hilarious to think that someone would trade a rare figure like Shadow Weaver or Fisto for something that will be in abundance later this year. I could see someone offering their extra Shadow Weaver or big $$$ for a long overdue AND limited run Filmation character like Fang Man, but an obscure mini-comic character like Strobo? Hilarious!

If I had an extra Shadow Weaver, I would hold onto it for now. It is quite possible that we will get another Fang Man situation with other Filmation character like Octavia or maybe even Scorpia and having that extra Shadow Weaver to trade will come in handy.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I could definitely see how the Evil Forces of Scalp-Ors could take advantage of a very limited "Early Access" release.

Personally, I'd rather just add him to my collection than sell him for over 4x his Matty price.

I'm sure there's also people out there that would buy extras to help pay for their collection and let ebay dictate the value ("sometimes you can't go by smoking your own supply" lol). I don't see that being as much of an issue as say a Retail-Or buying their maximum (and there's always ways to exceed that maximum limit, I'm pretty sure of it) and drying up the main supply really quickly.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I'll get mine at NYCC. I can wait. Plus, it's more fun to get a Con exclusive at the Con anyway.

Hehe 1 things for sure. When he's readily available on Matty, people are gonna be mad they paid/traded so much for him.

Honestly, I may get in on it. My life wouldn't change 1 bit if he's on the shelf now or in November. If people really are trading Whiplash, Scareglow, Teela & Weaver, I'd be stupid to not take advantage of it. I guess I'd better do it soon, before his price drops like a rock. (Nah, I want my Strobo. I'd feel bad in November too.)

Add me to the confused as to what the big deal is.
    Last edited by Clawful Ofit; March 16, 2013 at 05:43am.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Not sure i quite get you? are you saying he sold out fast because scalpers brought him up to sell for big bucks once he sells out fast???
    No, I'm saying subbers bought him up to resell for large profit. Some may say they did this to cover their sub cost or whatever reason. Others run the pathetic that's capitalism garbage. I would not care except for the fact that the ones that cry about scalpers were quick to buy a Strobo and turn around and sell him for big bucks. Check the marketplace and you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by mick4metal; March 16, 2013 at 05:38am.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

No, I'm saying subbers bought him up to resell for large profit. Some may say they did this to cover their sub cost or whatever reason. Others run the pathetic that's capitalism garbage. I would not care except for the fact that the ones that cry about scalpers were quick to buy a Strobo and turn around and sell him for big bucks. Check the marketplace and you will see what I mean.
    ok cheers! im with you now

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I'm happy to wait and save a hundred dollars.

Bought him up??? Limited stock on this one. Maybe subbers are just taking advantage of the controversy?
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

I was able to get a few strobo's during early access before he sold out, one for me and one for a friend. I only did this because i'm not attending any Cons this year and I didn't want to wait if I was able to get him during early access.

I can say we all know someone who will be attending the cons, especially POWERCON so if you ask a person you know that will be attending nicely and pay them up front i'm sure they will be happy to pick up a Strobo for you if you missed out on him during early access or if you don't have a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I can say we all know someone who will be attending the cons, especially POWERCON

Absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    You underestimate the power of the dark side!

Seriously it is a matter of patience and capitalism. Some people want Strobo now, and they can have it at a high price. Some people are looking for Fisto or Shadow weaver, and they are willing to pay a lot for them. Some sellers don't want to sell they want to earn money, the more the better. They put a price and they wait until an obsessed impatient buy what they have at any price. And believe me I am an obsessed impatient but I have some degree of control.
    Earn money? If they really wanted to earn their money, they would work for it (i.e., put effort into some kind of activity that generates new value and is thus worthy and deserving of a similiarly-valued reward). Scalping, just like speculating (or any other rent-seeking activity), hardly qualifies as that—it's simply an ethically-questionable avenue for "easy money", by essentially doing nothing but simply taking advantage of an unbalanced situation to profit oneself by detracting existing value from others (their hard-earned money that they got paid because they actually did some value-generating work).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    supply and demand + money to burn + other currency is worth more than the dollar so its not as bad of a hit + dont want to bother with finding one later + have to have it because a lot of other people don't yet

Widget
    Trying to make a quick buck sort of ruins the hobby. I see Strobo going for 65$ right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bootrix2 View Post
    Trying to make a quick buck sort of ruins the hobby. I see Strobo going for 65$ right now.
    Where? I have not seen him on sale for a price so cheap.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Subbers and scalpers are not distinct subsets of customers. A good proportion of the subs (in fact, the majority of the "massively multiple subbers", say, over 90% of those with 5+ subs) were purchased by scalpers. Early Access is open to most scalpers out there, except those that only scalp this line on a sporadic basis (i.e., those that don't sub and only stock up the DoS heavy-hitters like Ram Man). Any scalper offering a King He-Man or a Fang Man also had Early Access to Strobo (and the more "professional" of them probably used some kind of automated software or script programmed to secure them at least 10 Strobos by "sniping" their purchase on the very second the sale came live without themselves even being at their computer).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bootrix2 View Post
    Trying to make a quick buck sort of ruins the hobby.
    Of course, the history of the world can be summed up as the unethical ones ruining it all for the less unethical ones. That's why our world is in such a sorry state and will likely remain so for a long time.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Earn money? If they really wanted to earn their money, they would work for it (i.e., put effort into some kind of activity that generates new value and is thus worthy and deserving of a similiarly-valued reward). Scalping, just like speculating (or any other rent-seeking activity), hardly qualifies as that—it's simply an ethically-questionable avenue for "easy money", by essentially doing nothing but simply taking advantage of an unbalanced situation to profit oneself by detracting existing value from others (their hard-earned money that they got paid because they actually did some value-generating work).
    Who are you to judge what is considered real work?

I can understand people being upset about not getting a Strobo but wow, comments like yours are pretty disgusting. I'm guessing a lot of collectible stores are part of the reason we even have a line of toys with the amount of subs they buy. You guys need to relax.