Thread: Totems in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior

Totems in MOTUC

After reading the recent mini, I wondered about the totems in the MOTUC universe. The bird, the ram, the snake, the lion...

Anyone know where the lion comes from that is on the Central Tower?
    What is the origin of Zoar as a totem?
    Where did King Hsss get his snake staff?

I know Skeletor go the Havok Staff from Faceless One and the Ram Stone later on.

i've actually thought a little about this as well...not so much about where they come from, but the notion that these symbols all seem to be neutral sources of power. MOTU has always had this idea that power is just power...it is not good or evil...it is only the intent of the user that makes it good or evil.

the universe is power...neutral power...but a master of the universe can be good or evil.

take the snake for example. for the snake-men, it represents the superiority of their race, but the goddess and teela both use the snake for good. the skull is another symbol like this.

i think most of these totems got their start with eternian tribes. we know that king grayskull used a skull as a symbol and rode a lion in battle. his wife, queen veena, used a bird of prey as a totem, which probably originated with her own tribal ancestry.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I'm still trying to get a hold of #2 & #3. I have the first one. Do you think they will eventually post them on here like they did the old mini's?
    I think I learnt more about being a good person from He-man, then I did in church.

I don't know, sometimes I think He-fans look too deep into the MOTU mythos. There is always a need for every uber detail to be explained, and for the most part when it does, all we do is moan about it.

Why is sorceress a falcon, why does teela wear snake armor.... Most of these questions probably didn't cross the artists mind when they created them. They just are... Don't look for sense when sometimes there is none.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    I don't know, sometimes I think He-fans look too deep into the MOTU mythos. There is always a need for every uber detail to be explained, and for the most part when it does, all we do is moan about it.

Why is sorceress a falcon, why does teela wear snake armor.... Most of these questions probably didn't cross the artists mind when they created them. They just are... Don't look for sense when sometimes there is none.
    you're right that it probably was not by design that certain motifs and petterns emerged...but emerge they did. i don't really see it as looking for sense where there is none...i look at it as retro-fitting significance where there was none as the mythos evolves. nothing wrong with with MOTU becoming more intricate and meaningful as time moves on.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    you're right that it probably was not by design that certain motifs and petterns emerged...but emerge they did. i don't really see it as looking for sense where there is none...i look at it as retro-fitting significance where there was none as the mythos evolves. nothing wrong with with MOTU becoming more intricate and meaningful as time moves on.
    I know what you're saying bri-man, but when there's youtube videos of why hemans a nazi due to the aryan look and iron cross symbol or similar, then you have to call a halt into looking too deep.

When you think of adding interesting aspects of a story to get people hooked, the obvious threads are technology, magic and nature.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw