Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the most controversial figure released? and why?

What do you think is the most controversial figure released? and why?

With all the trouble about Strobo, I was thinking that every year we have some kind of issue with the figures that add spice into the line. For example, QC issues, design choices, not high demanded figures released, high demanded figure made exclusive, reversed forearms, or super fast sell out.

So...What do you think is the most controversial figure released? and why?

For me it is Sorceress. She is controversial because she was a high demanded figure and in the end she has an action feature at expense of drum shoulders.

followed by Stinkor with reversed forearms and foam trunk Snout spout

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Sorry to beat the dead horse, but it's gotta be The Mighty Spector. He doesn't fit MOTU at all, and is just the worst looking figure in this line.

Given that The Mighty Spector thread has over 1,000 posts, that's your proof right there.
    Last edited by The All American; March 17, 2013 at 12:19am.

LOL!

I totally forgot about him!

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    LOL!

I totally forgot about him!
    It's ok, I'm still trying to forget he was ever released!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    With a single release way back in 2009... and nobody, truely, knowing about her multiple (and some questionable) origins; I'd have to say Teela to this day is the most controversial figure.

I would have to say.... Shadow Weaver!

Just because of the fact that she was one of the most demanded figures of this line and controversially she was only attainable by getting the sub, locking out a lot of fans from getting her. And she didn't have no QC issues so I think that it makes it that much more one of the top contenders for this title!
    Last edited by Nemisythe; March 17, 2013 at 10:49am.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Sorry to beat the dead horse, but it's gotta be The Mighty Spector. He doesn't fit MOTU at all, and is just the worst looking figure in this line.

Given that The Mighty Spector thread has over 1,000 posts, that's your proof right there.
    I Probably agree with this. Also, the SEX controversy as well makes TMS pretty questionable.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Mighty Spector without a doubt.

Fighting Foe Men, Vykron, Star Sisters, Snake Man-At-Arms, Battleground Evil-Lyn, Stinkor, Sorceress, King Hsss, Roboto, Frosta, Sir Laser-Lot....none caused a stir like the brand manager getting a second action figure of himself made when he already had a cameo as a palace guard. Some fans were afraid that Spector would be a Mary Sue within MOTUC and would take the spotlight away from He-Man or would wreck storylines with his time travel costume.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I seemed to have missed the SEX controversy with TMS, anyone care to enlighten/enlinken?
    This text changes every post.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebacon View Post
    I seemed to have missed the SEX controversy with TMS, anyone care to enlighten/enlinken?
    His bracelet says "SEX" on it. Toyguru says it's native Eternian language or something, but if you look at The Mighty Spector's initial drawing it had 4 letters/symbols on it, so it was intentionally changed, making it more suspicious. Especially when things like the Orb Holder the Temple of Darkness Sorceress comes with has beautiful and elegant symbols on it...instead of "SEX."

FOUR letters, originally. I think it was probably supposed to be a joke, saying "SEXY", which I think would have been funny. It's too bad it was changed.

Last edited by Darkspecter; March 17, 2013 at 01:58am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

The Mighty Spector. All the troubles people have had with DR and QC of the figures are passive aggressively aimed at that figure.

Spector wouldn't be so awful if it weren't for that horrendous spade on his chest. Makes him look like something I doodled when I was 12.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I still want that energy whip...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Spector wouldn't be so awful if it weren't for that horrendous spade on his chest. Makes him look like something I doodled when I was 12.
    Wasn't it in fact doodled by a 12yo(or whatever Scott's age was). The fig wasn't that bad. I still don't get the whole "he doesn't belong in MOTU" argument. Ninjas and cowboys and pirates are involved in the same universe so IMO a time travelling superhero isnt that far fetched...but whatever he was pretty controversial.
    Last edited by Bjjer; March 17, 2013 at 04:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    It's ok, I'm still trying to forget he was ever released!
    I keep Mighty Sphinter behind my Golden Pharoh figure...

My Mighty Spector has Horde Prime's UK head on it - much better ...

After Spector it's definitely Vykron. It's a hideous figure. He means nothing to me. After that comes the Palace Guards "brand-head". It would have been acceptional, but not with Spector around by now. And don't even get me started on the SEX bracelet thing with the Mighty One ...

Then by a far distance: Mo-Larr, but I love that guy ... can't help it
    Last edited by belmont; March 17, 2013 at 05:50am.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd nominate The Mighty Spector.

Heroic Warrior
    To me, the most controversial figure to this day is the Mighty Spector, without the shadow of a doubt !

Why ? Because it reflects the oversized ego and the melagomania of the brand manager. This figure looks awful to me, it doesn't have its place in MOTUC, and it looks awkward next to other figures. I didn't buy it, because it didn't deserve the 50 euros (reseller's price) I had to spend for it. It's an eye sore. It was forcefed to the fans. The reason it sold out is probably linked to the fact that a good amount of the fandom bought him for customization purposes.

My other controversial figures include Mo-Larr, Vykron, Cy-Chop (awful designs and figures, IMO), and also Green Goddess (QC issues), King Hssss (QC and design issues), Snout Spout (QC issues) and Stinkor (reversed forearms on an otherwise pristine figure).
    Last edited by Prahvus; March 17, 2013 at 07:10am.

Spector

1- Scott created him, already had a palace gaurd head he ASKED to have made to look like him, plus his DCUC Nite-Lik Red Lantern.
    2- "The Mighty" Spector
    3- Willy Nilly time travel so he can be in every era.
    4- Hear a pin drop silence at his reveal.
    5- Apparently there is a whole faction of purple clad agents running around. Why do we even need He-Man anymore? Ol' Johnny & his totally awesome group of agents can save the day.
    6- Nothing against Scott, but he gets his way too much(Anyone supprised we got Casta before Glimmer? I'm not. Not to mention the talk I hear about SOH being his legacy.), so that falls back on Spector. I get it I'd inject things I want in the line too, but its a little much.

That being said, I like Scott & it's not so much the figure, as it is the character. I've come to accept him, & heck sometimes I even enjoy him. In all honesty, he is a bottom of the barrel, shoe horned, Mary-Sue that I consider a joke like Mo-Larr. Won't stop me from eventually buying him, but absolutely no rush, it's not like he actually exists in my canon, so I won't miss him.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    His bracelet says "SEX" on it. Toyguru says it's native Eternian language or something, but if you look at The Mighty Spector's initial drawing it had 4 letters/symbols on it, so it was intentionally changed, making it more suspicious. Especially when things like the Orb Holder the Temple of Darkness Sorceress comes with has beautiful and elegant symbols on it...instead of "SEX."

FOUR letters, originally. I think it was probably supposed to be a joke, saying "SEXY", which I think would have been funny. It's too bad it was changed.
    Many thanks!

That's pretty bad. Doesn't help that the whip handle or whatever that's supposed to be is fairly phallic as well.
    This text changes every post.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I must admit that I much prefer Spector over Vykron or Sir Laser Lot.

I really dislike these two: don't like their look and find them useless in the MOTU mythos. These two slots could have been used for other characters.
    I would have preferred a new Snake Man for instance instead of Sir Laser Lot and would have expected a much more wanted character for last year's SDCC in place of Vykron...

Anyway... Let's move on. Just hope that Mattel give us highly requested characters from now on...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

I believe the Star Sisters were pretty controversial as well. The reactions after the reveal were overwhelmingly negative due to many reasons. People criticised the price tag, which seemed pretty high: a three-pak for the price of three individual figures can hardly be called a good deal. Moreover, the lack of accessories was criticised along with the general rather bland designs and poor execution. Nobody seemed to like them. People who don't care about POP didn't want to spend that much money on three super-obscure characters with few accessories. POP fans didn't like the either for all the reasons mentioned above. Moreover, it was criticised that the designs were not based on the toys, nor on the cartoon but instead on some obscure poster.
    The packaging was also criticised as the rather large box looked quite empty with the three skinny girls and the little bird in it.
    When the figures arrived the criticism wouldn't stop, either (I didn't read many of the usual "they look much better in person" posts). The poor execution and overall quality of the figures was criticised, too.
    Awesome sticker included!

The mighty Spector, Sir Laser-Lot and Cy-Chop. In that order.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

the mighty WHO?? sorry i only deal in real MOTU. It has to be Shadow Weaver. Matty's way of looking out for its fans. Buy a sub and we'll let you BUY Shadow Weaver.

Heroic Warrior
    Spector. Any figure that gets forced on the public in plastic, bios and comics just for the sake of one man's ego cannot and will never be beaten in terms of sheer patheticness. The PG head was bad enough.