Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the most controversial figure released? and why?

Spector-No Brainer

But what if Customer base didn't know It was a TG design???
    Same thing with the TG palace Guard?

and the upcoming Toy Guru as He-Man figure..........
    Saturday Morning ToyZ at Facebook, Flickr and Blogspot!

Heroic Warrior
    Easily Spector. Awful design, a self indulgence of egotism, and a wasted slot. Over a thousand posts of arguing pro and against this X-men figure. He is controversy incarnate.

A slot in the 30th anniversary mind you.
    Last edited by toyboxraider; March 18, 2013 at 09:40am. Reason: Add info and clarity.

I'd rather have Mo-Larr than Spector, to me Spector has no place ripping through time. Time is a MOTU element I can live without.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    It's that he's willing to make a large portion of his base angry in doing so. Of course his job is to sell as many toys as possible. This was just a bad way to do it and it didn't even work since that year was the lowest sub numbers to date. You don't make your customer base angry. They were already making a profit and being successful. That decision wasn't about profitability. It was about the never-ending corporate need for more more more. Sometimes when something's not broke you don't fix it.
    The issue I have with this is how much weight the he-man.org community believes they carry as a major representation of the fan base as a whole.

I'm not saying there isn't some potency to your argument, but there seems to be a perpetual belief by some on here that those who populate these (and other ones like it) forums, are THE meat and potatoes, be-all-end-all of the MOTU fan base.

I am aware that the people who discuss the line here are a very passionate portion of the fan base, but its important to keep it in perspective and remember its only a portion of all MOTU fans.

Snappy Threader
    Shadow Weaver because of the sub exclusiveness.

Spector! But I wonder if they'll try to release someone worse before the line is out! If they did, who could it be? I think that both Plundor and Nepthu could easily take the worst figure slot. LOL
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I've criticized Scott in the past when I felt it was deserved, I've also given him credit. I NEVER had a personal distaste for him until recently where sub or die became the go to and other issues i've had. that said I LOATHED Spector from day one and to be fair to those who dislike him, his reveal was met with ZERO enthusiasm, BEFORE people knew who designed it. I support ninja and cowboy characters, I've explain why for me they still fit into MOTU, Spector is a 1990s marvel character and for me it doesn't work. to be fair many of the galactic protectors I feel similarly towards.

My dislike for spector has ZERO to do with Scott. IF Scott had direct involvement with Despara, my hats off I LOVE that more mature take on the story and I agree with his POV of filmation being a toned down tale of he-man's adventures that songster would tell to kids. I've always likened the he-man mythos to the Batman TAS Episodes "Legends of the Dark Knight, and P.O.V." So despite the fact that NOW I feel more of a dislike for Scott I am 100% on board with certain aspects. And to be fair my dislike is based on what my relationship with Scott is, a customer, it isn't personal as I don't know him personally, but it does cross over that line a bit because my hard earned money is involved AND I do love this brand.

That all said, I will NEVER like Spector for what he is.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    What do you think is the most controversial figure released? and why?
    Draego-Man...because it was a controversy how almost universally liked he was.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Well I just bought a Spector. He'll be here Wednesday.

Already regret it.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

FISTO

1.He was the only figure that ALL sub holders DID NOT get and sending a box that says Fisto on it only to have Sorceress pop out? I asked this last year, never heard anything back, "WHERE ARE THE EXTRA FISTOS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE BOX INSTEAD OF SORCERESS"? There were a lot of sub holders that responded with this problem...and his value on the secondary market is giving a lot of credibility.

2.For a MAJOR A-LISTER he had a very low day of sale volume.

Spector is only controversial due to all the people that do not like or distrust Scott. He had no QC mistakes. He was not short printed. He was not a running mistake (Moss Man Ears). Other 30th figures don't really "fit" into the line - Draego-Man being the most obvious. He is a fantastic figure...but he is different. I think Spector is a great fit in the Masters line....and I want his ENERGY WHIP in the next weapons pack!
    Last edited by CanadaClassics; March 18, 2013 at 01:41pm.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    Well I just bought a Spector. He'll be here last Wednesday.

Already regret it.
    (See what I did there?)

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Lieutenant Spector character (TG as a Palace Guard) wasn't hated either. Or Despara.
    Good point! The palace guard is pretty popular, because he fits MOTU. Despara is liked because she is cool looking, and fits MOTU too!

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Spector isn't controversial! Everyone hates him!
    Not everyone, lol. There will always be people who disingenuously like a character simply because they are part of a property, no matter what (yes, there are Jar Jar Binks fans), and there are always fans who genuniely like an odd character because it appeals to them; different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by charliecore View Post
    Oh, that must have been another figure with a blue cape and stroke lip people have been whining about.
    I think the only major gripe is he's called King He-Man and not King Adam. The figure itself is not controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Bunch of people saying meh isn't controversy.
    This exactly!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    Spector is only controversial due to all the people that do not like or distrust Scott. He had no QC mistakes. He was not short printed. He was not a running mistake (Moss Man Ears). Other 30th figures don't really "fit" into the line - Draego-Man being the most obvious. He is a fantastic figure...but he is different. I think Spector is a great fit in the Masters line....and I want his ENERGY WHIP in the next weapons pack!
    While fans who aren't fans of TG don't like Spector, Spector also has that "doesn't fit" stigma that works against characters like Rio Blast. Only Spector doesn't have 30 years of nostalgia helping him...

Others feel that he already got a figure in the form of a "blink and you'll miss it" Palace Guard cameo.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    G

I think the only major gripe is he's called King He-Man and not King Adam. The figure itself is not controversial.

some don't like his puffy lip and think his head is too narrow, and the color palette isn't perfect.

About Draego-man not fitting in. His biggest problem isn't thematically he doesn't fit in, the level of detail is a bit high for MOTUC to the point of being almost 200x. Some of the others from 30th would probably have been better accepted if they were released in the vintage line but they would be in the Rio-Blast, Clamp Champ, Extendar, and Ninjor category of many wouldn't care as much if they did or didn't get released (those guys do have their fans).

When I first saw Spector on a checklist I thought someone put a DCUC more Marvel Legends picture in there by mistake. This before I even knew he designed by Scott. I would say technically he isn't badly designed or anything just doesn't fit in well with what many of us consider MOTU. going back to the previous paragraph some of those vintage figures I mentioned would fall into this category also if they didn't have vintage figures.

As far as controversy I think it depends on what you mean by controversy. for example are there factions of people who don't like vs people who do like, or do you mean caused a big stink with the fanbase in general.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    some don't like his puffy lip and think his head is too narrow, and the color palette isn't perfect.

About Draego-man not fitting in. His biggest problem isn't thematically he doesn't fit in, the level of detail is a bit high for MOTUC to the point of being almost 200x.
    I've always thought he didn't quite fit in, but then I heard Eamon say he looks a lot like some of the Filmation dragons, and that helped reconcile him a bit for me. Still, usually the beast characters in MOTO have a more or less human-shaped head with beast facial features and details. I think it's the dragon-shaped head that throws him off from looking like he could have been a vintage figure. Of course the exception to that rule is Sqeeze, but he doesn't look very MOTU either, IMO.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    that said I LOATHED Spector from day one and to be fair to those who dislike him, his reveal was met with ZERO enthusiasm, BEFORE people knew who designed it. I support ninja and cowboy characters, I've explain why for me they still fit into MOTU, Spector is a 1990s marvel character and for me it doesn't work.
    It's true, IMO Spector has champions that are rooting for him solely because of the backlash and to support Scott.

Also, one should never underestimate just how great of an action figure the standard MOTUC buck is. One of, if not THE best action figure body designs ever crafted. So with that said, it becomes VERY, VERY difficult to make ANY figure on that body that won't be at least moderately pleasing to action figure collectors. The buck is that good.

But in terms of fitting in as a MotU character, I agree 100% with you, and couldn't possibly disagree more with any kind of thinking claiming we would love him had he been in the original line. Of course, the two most obvious fallacies with that argument being: 1) he never was so he never could've been, and would've never been able to feature 90's design traits, and 2) Draego-Man and Castle Grayskullman were almost universally and immediately accepted as very strong entries into the MotUniverse.

So as to the question of the thread, I think there's no way it's not Spector, whose entire existence as a character is a controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Also, one should never underestimate just how great of an action figure the standard MOTUC buck is. One of, if not THE best action figure body designs ever crafted. So with that said, it becomes VERY, VERY difficult to make ANY figure on that body that won't be at least moderately pleasing to action figure collectors. The buck is that good.
    I agree with this 100%. The buck is possibly one of teh best action figure bucks ever made.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Here's a book I found about controversy. The story is really interesting, it includes information about time travel and playing cards.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American 3235474
    Here's a book I found about controversy. The story is really interesting, it includes information about time travel and playing cards.
    That`s good!!!! I like that

Funny... After reading all these posts I am surprised that King Hsss wasn't mentioned. I seem to recall the firestorm over his reversed shoulders as being bigger than any that followed . So I will nominate him. I think Frosta is a close second though.

OH, also - granny pants Adora... We can't forget that controversy!

Oh and we cannot forget:

...the Panthor flocked/unflocked controversy...

...She-Ra hole-in-the-head controversy (this was a BIG ONE)...

...Orko sloppy paint job controversy...

...Grizzlor no second head controversy...

...Snout Spout broken nose controversy...

...Netossa black-spot controversy...

...AND...

...The CASTLE GRAYSKULL controversy (even though it isn't a figure)...

---

Lastly, I think people are being too harsh on Spector... I don't see The Mighty Spector even being close to some of the greater controversies of the line (i.e. Roboto, King Hsss, Goddess, Battle Cat sell out, Hole-in-head She-Ra, Panthor, Frosta, Stinkor, Netossa, Orko's ears, Granny Pants, Fang Man exclusivity, etc...)
    Last edited by AuraBoyX; March 24, 2013 at 04:24am.

most controversy? spector. why? jealousy and sour grape. hes cool and fits as well as any snout spout or blast attack. but people are blindly bitter it isnt their fan character and alot of misplaced toyguru anger. mighty specor is great and if he were vintage he would be no more malaligned than snout spout

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    most controversy? spector. why? jealousy and sour grape. hes cool and fits as well as any snout spout or blast attack. but people are blindly bitter it isnt their fan character and alot of misplaced toyguru anger. mighty specor is great and if he were vintage he would be no more malaligned than snout spout
    Well said.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Although some fans do hate TG and vent their rage on Spector, I think people are upset about TG getting ANOTHER figure and using up a figure slot when he already had the Palace Guard cameo. Then there is the shoehorning of the character into the new canons, whereas fan-favorites such as Draego-Man and Castle Grayskullman haven't had the level of attention that Spector has achieved.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Most people don't get it, it seems... IF Toyguru had come up with Draego-Man, you'd hear me singing his praise for that figure, even though I don't appreciate TG.

And if the 4 Horsemen had come up with the Spector design, you'd read my wrath about it.

Sure, I don't like the fact Spector was forcefed to us and included way too much into the MOTUC canon. Sure, I don't like TG's oversized ego etc. But these are not my main issues with Spector. The first and main issue is his lame-looking design. Period.

Toyguru is a regular guy like any other person. If any of us was the brand manager we would jump at the chance to create a figure for the line if given the option. I know I would.