Thread: Bates Motel

Bates Motel

Anyone else watch the show?

Ive been looking forward to this show for awhile.

First show was okay. Nothing major but I think we can all tell why Norman ends up the way he does.
    Cannot wait till the show really builds up its weird factor!
    Norman & Norma are casted perfectly, I think.

Anyone loving this show too???
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

DVR'd it and getting ready to!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Great show cant wait until next week I am hooked
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Interesting. I heard about this in the works, but didn't realize it was out yet. I'll need to find a way to track this down so I can watch it.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    All I could think of when I saw the ads for this was:

In the prequel for Superman, Smallville, we all looked forwar to the day clark donned the blue and red costume.

In this prequel to Psycho, we will all look forward to the day Norman dons his mother's dress.

THe ads didn't give much idea about how the show would be apporached; I recall the last show called "Bates Motel" was a pilot that was basically Norman Bates meets The Love Boat (different guest stars were to stay at the hotel each week and have strange things happen if the show had been picked up). This looks like a straight out drama, though, and not particularly interesting. Can anyone who saw it give something of an idea of the direction (without spoilers, if need be)?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Its set up in Norman's teenage years. Right when they buy the Hotel.
    It is a drama...or a thriller drama.
    Perhaps you should watch it.
    I could tell just from the promos where they were going with it...
    Small town. Over bearing mother whose willing to do anything to start a new life. No matter who or what gets in her way.
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

I thought it was ok. I would like to see the mom be a little bit more overbearing though. She was supposed to be an abuser....and she definitely doesn't come off as one. Then again it was just the first episode. We'll see what happens.

I think whats already happened would constitue for abuse...lol
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Naaa, it was justifiable. ....well, kinda....maybe....in tv world.......

I really liked the show too! I think that it has a lot of potential. The pilot was pretty good, but the upcoming episodes look really great!

it was OK for me... i wasn't too keen on it being set in modern times.....the less i compare it to psycho the more i like it.. but so far im not hooked by any means.. i usually give tv shows 3 eps before i decide to go on and watch or pull out completely..
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    it was OK for me... i wasn't too keen on it being set in modern times.....the less i compare it to psycho the more i like it.. but so far im not hooked by any means.. i usually give tv shows 3 eps before i decide to go on and watch or pull out completely..
    LOL, funny you said that cause I told my wife it was over when they pulled out the cell phones...lol. It really bugged me, but I got over it

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Yeah you can see his mother start with her overly clingy self which gets into his mind a bit. So I think that would be a sign of abuse.

Personally I love the show. I think its great and I wasn't ready for what happened. The crazy guy whose family owned the hotel reminded me of me "You dont know this house like I do!" "My family owned this place for generations!" hmmm.

Anyway, I really did enjoy it and I'm ready to see more.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Been watching this and it's strange because they've changed a lot just by making the Bateses into outsiders of the town. Norman grew up in the Psycho house in the original, he was supposed to be one of those long-time neighbors that no one suspects because everyone supposedly knows everything about everybody in a small town. I get why they did this of course, they've basically turned the Bateses into Marion Crane, protagonists who arrive in town running from past mistakes when they fun afoul of dangers hidden in their supposed refuge. I also get why Norma is so much less over-bearing than she was originally supposed to be. It's better if we don't spend the whole series wanting Norman to kill her off, as I think we would if the portrayal were closer to what was implied by the original movie (or shown by Psycho 4). I think it's interesting that they've added a brother since Ed Gein, on whom Norman is based, also had a brother. I guess it's no spoiler that things don't look good for the brother's future though.

It's fascinating with both this and now Hannibal on TV BTW. Both have surprised me by what has been changed to accommodate television--and I don't mean gore. Norma is a more relatable woman, Norman is a more innocent figure, and Lector has gone from a civil looking man with a surprising vicious side to a vicious looking man with a surprisingly civil disposition. Of course we know how they'll all end up, but I'm sure there's some pop-culture study to be had in there somewhere. The dark side of the Smallville/Merlin formula?
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    I havent got a chance to see Hannibal yet but Ive been hearing good things
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

I was looking forward to Bates Motel and itīs surprisingly entertaining.

It seems a little rushed. We have seen 8 episodes so far and there is been going on so much, deaths, slaughter, rape, secrets, drugs, sex and accidents. Teenage drama, money problem, gossip attacks…

Iīm intrigued.

And Psycho the movie takes place when Norman is around 28 and Norman is not even 18 in the show. So there is a lot what we can expect but as far as i know he killed his mother when he was around 18 years old and right now they seem pretty close, maybe to close but thatīs arguable.

Two more shows and than we have to wait for season 2!

Hannibal in the other hand is totally what i was expecting and so far itīs a grotesque fun to watch. I get disgust some times but i guess thatīs what expected. I donīt like that Will to much, he is too weird for me. Maybe heīll come down and gets his act together…some how?
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor