0 0%
  • Alexandre Desplat

2 7.14%
  • Other (who and why?)

5 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Your Ideal Composer for the Film

Your Ideal Composer for the Film

So, I'd just like to see which composers you guys are most interested in having score the MOTU film, if you had your choice. Feel free to pick whichever ones you would be happy with.

Personally, my pick would be Elliot Goldenthal. This guy can do everything from the creepy and atmospheric to the bombastic and operatic. His works include Alien3, Batman Forever, Frida, and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. He's got the chops to do MOTU justice, but unlike guys like Williams or Shore, is more or less untapped in the scoring of an epic saga, which would give the series an identifiable voice.

He's also big on leitmotif (those hummable themes that fanboys love so much). anyway, here's a sampling of some of Goldenthal's work that demonstrates his appropriateness for MOTU:

i think music like this would be great for a transformation sequence (especially about 1:43 in)

i can just picture eternia with this one

here, Goldenthal makes great use of choir. i would really love it if He-Man's theme had some male chorus in it.

He-Man riding Battle Cat headlong into the dark hemisphere

relaxation music fit for snake mountain...listen to this one in the dark with headphones if you can.

but who do you want, and why?
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    So, I'd just like to see which composers you guys are most interested in having score the MOTU film, if you had your choice. Feel free to pick whichever ones you would be happy with.

but who do you want, and why?

Bri-Man, great list of composers!

My picks and why...

I left off a lot of big names that I did not feel were a good fit. Unfortunately, I expect if this movie does ever get made it will employ a no-name Hans Zimmer clone, and we would be lucky to have any of these guys.

Elliot Goldenthal - I did not recognize his name, but your examples sold me.

Michael Giacchino - one of my top choices. He is so talented and versatile I think he could do any genre well.

Danny Elfman - one of my old favorites who leaves me feeling a little burned-out these days. Still, he always has the potential to be awesome.

John Williams - my knee-jerk choice is always John Williams, because I think he is the best, particularly when it comes to composing the important themes of an epic soundtrack. To be honest, though, his incidental music in recent years always sounds like Star Wars to me. I like how the Harry Potter soundtracks transitioned to other composers after the first few films, so they still kept some of those great themes but got some new ideas as well.

Howard Shore - his LOTR work was great.

Javier Navarrete - another top choice. If it meant we were also getting Guillermo del Toro instead of Jon Chu, I would be thrilled.

Alexandre Desplat - my #1 choice. I think he would do an incredible job capturing the mystery of Castle Grayskull and the creepiness of Skeletor. Here is a clip from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows...

Even more so than film music, there is a lot of symphonic music that suits my taste for Eternia. I would love for the new soundtrack composer to take inspiration from Alan Hovhaness. Check out his "Mysterious Mountain" symphony. Here is a clip of the first movement...

Another example is Ralph Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"...

There is an other-wordly quality in those pieces that evokes Castle Grayskull for me.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    John Williams for me...
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    copeland.pngcopeland drums.jpghighlander.png

I was recently impressed to learn that Stewart Copeland had done the music/editing for Highlander 2.

Awesomeness.

My ideal composer would be whoever the ghostwriter was that the Haim Saban & Shuky Levy company hired to compose the first batch of music for the Filmation cartoon (i.e., the first-season themes such as Mystics and Evil Plannings, that feature superb orchestration and are of significant artistic merit, not the stylistically divergent later themes featuring unremarkable synthesizer accompaniments, such as Hordak's theme, that probably were composed by a different ghostwriter of lesser talent).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Joel Goldsmith (composer for Stargate Atlantis) if he were still alive
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I think John Williams is retired so Hanz Zimmer Or maybe whoever did the music for How to train your dragon.

Heroic Warrior
    Conti creates wonderful atmosphere with his music , that's one of the problems with Batman (B89 and BR had very good ost imo) and 007 , the music isn't what it used to be.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Court Magician TheBigToyAuction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Joel Goldsmith (composer for Stargate Atlantis) if he were still alive
    If we're going with dead guys, then for me it's Basil Poledouris hands down.
    Check out TheBigToyAuction.com - All the Action Figures, Modern Toys,and Collectilbes YOU WANT in an exciting new Live Auction Event!! Get Updates, Reminders and Catalogs about TheBigToyAuction.com by signing up for our email list!

Alan Silvestri (Predator, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, The Avengers)

Heroic Warrior
    Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Clash of the Titans remake)

please no Zimmer or Giacchino or the movie might go from Epic to Baaaaaahhhhhmmmmm

i gotta say, i'm surprised that john williams and hans zimmer are in the lead.

don't get me wrong, i love the work of both composers, but i feel that if either were chosen, it would detract from a MOTU film series having it's own musical voice. i would prefer to have a composer that is mainly untapped for a major franchise.

basically, i would not want MOTU to sound like star wars or superman, and zimmer is scoring so much these days, that i feel he's kind of a flavor of the month. MOTU should stand apart.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Sadly Jerry Goldsmith died in 2004...

And also my ideal and favorite composer, Michael Kamen, is dead.... It's ten years and I'm still in shock...

So my vote go to Giorgio Moroder!!!

Trevor Jones!!!

And James Horner!!!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    Sadly Jerry Goldsmith died in 2004...

And also my ideal and favorite composer, Michael Kamen, is dead.... It's ten years and I'm still in shock...

So my vote go to Giorgio Moroder!!!

Trevor Jones!!!

And James Horner!!!
    oh man, i really miss goldsmith
    he would definitely have my vote, were he still with us.

moroder and jones are great choices...especially if they could infuse some of the 80's flair of their earlier work.

james horner...if we were talking about late 80s or early 90s horner, i would be behind that choice, but since time travel isn't an option, i'm forced to face my opinion that his recent catalog is a string of self-plagiarism and generic worn out motifs. with the exception of his score to The New World.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    oh man, i really miss goldsmith he would definitely have my vote, were he still with us.
    I can understand...

moroder and jones are great choices...especially if they could infuse some of the 80's flair of their earlier work.
    That's exactly why I chose 'em!

James horner...if we were talking about late 80s or early 90s horner, i would be behind that choice, but since time travel isn't an option, i'm forced to face my opinion that his recent catalog is a string of self-plagiarism and generic worn out motifs. with the exception of his score to The New World.
    I totally agree!

And what about Michael Kamen? I'd like to hear your opionion!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    And what about Michael Kamen? I'd like to hear your opionion!
    Kamen is another i miss. one of the very first scores i ever owned was Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. i wore that tape out, playing it over and over! his music alone really made me feel like i was in the middle ages. i think that's something he could have really contributed to a he-man score.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

My "other" is European composer Karl Jenkins who has a rock/tribal/classical approach. I mocked up this trailer to showcase his most famous work 'Adiemus':

"This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

John Williams
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Battle Ram, Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Tung Lashor, Dragstor, Masks of Power Demons, Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

I voted for Alexander Desplat. He's one of my favorite composers and his scores are so versatile. For instance, his scores for Moonrise Kingdom, Zero dark Thirty, and Rust and Bone were all so unique.
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

Kevin Corrigan.

Seriously, I, like many, want to leap in with my main man Williams, or even push Zimmer in, but the notion of MOTU getting its own "voice" musically is a great idea. That said, I would nominate Kevin Kiner, who tackled the SW themes and made them new again for Clone Wars.

Of course, I'd take Bill Conti back any day of the week. (Except Tuesday; I have an exam and would have to reschedule anyhow.) But seriously, I LOVE his work on the '87 film.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!