Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The I wish The Mighty Spector would go away thread!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)

The I wish The Mighty Spector would go away thread!

Well since the Star Sisters can have one...

Seriously though, he just needs to fade away. For someone who is supposed to be a very minor character who isn't over powered at all, he sure seems to show up. A lot.

Let's look at some recent appearances...

Mentioned in the DC Comics series, in the Digital Issue #1

On the back of the King He-Man cardback

On the back of Snake Face's cardback (makes little to no sense...maybe because he's a Preternia character?)

Shows up in the Secret Origin of Skeletor Mini Comic, taking "Skeleteen" to the future.

Even the "joke" appearances are getting stale... a "Time Agent" faction symbol...really? These are starting to feel less and less like fun, goofy, joke things and more like forcing him into the story and just disguising it as a joke. Remember, anything that gets people talking about the line is a good thing, right?

His design does not feel right to many fans, and he is likely the most unpopular of the 30th anniversary line. No other character from the 30th anniversary line makes constant appearances in official media like Spector does. Plus he plays some kind of role in the 3 main "Eras" of the story and bios. Just too much exposure.

I don't take issue with him being in the line, but for heaven's sake, can't we move on?

I would like to hear from folks who feel the same way as I do.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    The I wish The Mighty Spector would go away thread!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I dunno, I like tMS.
    Does Galactus fart?

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    I like The Mighty Spector, too... Could this be a POP fan backlash thread? We've heard this all before... again and again You did say the Star Sisters got one, too.
    I do agree that he shouldn't be on the cardbacks since he not even part of the original sub.
    Last edited by He-Dude; March 20, 2013 at 02:57pm.

I have to agree.

You'd think getting made into a figure would be enough...for most people that is.

Meh, I like him. Sue me.

Since getting him in hand I actually think he is ok. I wouldn't care if I had never got him but he isn't so bad I left him in his box (I'm looking at you Star Sisters, Photog and Cy-Chop)
    I don't like him being used so much in media when there are so many interesting vintage characters that have had little development over the years.

His design doesnīt bother me, itīs boring and very nineties X-Men.

The mask is whatīs bothering me, why does he need to hide his face?

The time issue now thatīs bothering me. When ever there is time traveling added to a story it gets weird and frustrating. And thatīs exactly what the mighty Spector does he is frustrating.

There have always been times when a new character came out that this character was used more than the others but than it all balanced out. Except for him of course, he still is every where and since he isnīt very well designed you can find him every where again.

I would like to see others used as well like Draego Man, He-Ro(the original who could send He-man back in time with his wand), Sharella or Eldor.

He isnīt the only character with special powers.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    I like The Mighty Spector, too... Could this be a POP fan backlash thread? We've heard this all before... again and again You did say the Star Sisters got one, too.
    I do agree that he shouldn't be on the cardbacks since he not even part of the original sub.
    Not really a backlash thread... I suppose you could make the case for gender equality. In my mind the only thing similar about the Star Sisters and TMS is that both are pretty controversial. Mention either name and you are bound to generate angry posts.

In the end this is less about liking him or not. It is more about wishing he would just fade in the background instead of popping up over and over.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    The mask is whatīs bothering me, why does he need to hide his face?
    I think it's because his whole body needs to be covered in the suit for the time travel device to work.

I agree, I'm over Spector being shoehorned into the franchise. Narcissism is never a good thing.

As a figure Spector is the worse in the line.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I think it's because his whole body needs to be covered in the suit for the time travel device to work.
    Right, the suit thing...still i feel this mask sets him apart from the others and not in a good way.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    Since getting him in hand I actually think he is ok. I wouldn't care if I had never got him but he isn't so bad I left him in his box (I'm looking at you Star Sisters, Photog and Cy-Chop)
    I don't like him being used so much in media when there are so many interesting vintage characters that have had little development over the years.
    Getting the figure made as part of the 30th anniversary line was fine, but I, too, feel he needs to be left there. The 30th figure sub was an experiment with mixed results; I wouldn't have a problem with the two fan created characters being woven into any new media, but pushing characters like Spector seems more like a bit of ego stroking than anything else. Had the character been received warmly by an excited fan base, I could see it. His reception was luke warm to hostile. If the property is to succeed and grow beyond just this line, it needs to focus on the things that get the fans, not the creators, excited.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Do we really need another Mighty Specter thread? Something wrong with this bashfest....

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...cussion-Thread

How in the world does this thread have anything to do with POP, backlash or otherwise?

What? Now anyone who thinks that the brand manager's habit of putting Spector into every piece of motu media is a POP fan complaining about lack of pop?

Paranoid much? . That doesn't make much sense. I think Barezz simply cited the Star Sisters thread as support for having a thread like this. It could have been a thread about Gygor or Mo-Larr or Filmation characters...

Spector being in all the mini-comics, and the DC digital mini, and the 30th line, and on card backs, and in bios, etc. has nothing to do with pop.

As for the question at hand, I see it as the brand manager trying too hard. There are a lot of cool characters, that many of us have a lot if nostslgia for, who have had little to no exposure in the new media.

Ironically, by over-doing it with Spector, the brand manager could be causing even more resentment for the character.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Was he ever there?

He's the Jar Jar Binks of MOTU!
    Stratos75 Feedback Thread

I've had one bad deal on this board, contact me for details.

He's ruining my life!

Ironically enough,
    this thread brings TMS back in the spotlight...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

That's a bit of a stretch. I don't mind TMS, but I can see why he has the rep he has. The big thing is, the was the 3rd figure in the 30th sub. He was the first revealed AFTER what was shown at SDCC, Photog and Draego Man, the figures that sucked everyone into subbing. To have one of the worst figures in the line be the very next reveal was a little sour. I've learned to appreciate him for the novelty that he is though, so I don't dislike him as much as most. I wouldn't say that he's being forced into media as much as, he's got a convenient ability/story that writers can use to integrate time line plots. I suspect you'll see more of him considering what a simple plot device he is.
    Trying to turn this into a thread about POP backlash is just way off base. I'm a huge POP fan, but I can see why the Star Sisters had the thread, if you can't see why TMS has one, then you are choosing not to see. LOL I think you'll find most POP fans are very welcoming of most figures, they're not asking for less, they're asking for more.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

The appearance of him taking baby skeley from Evil Lynn did it for me. That was a little over the top. I'm sure there was no TMS in the original SoH bible that TG said was used for the story....so why is he there. It's not "fun" or "funny", it's forced and makes no sense really as it contradicts established cannon. I'm all for moving the story forward and the SoH era.....heck, I'm even ok with TMS bringing in SLL and both of them being in the employ of King He-Man as it gives them a good place on the shelf.....but he definitely is becoming too much of a player in everything. Luckily, Masters lends itself to personal cannon well.....so TMS just isn't in mine.

Heroic Warrior
    He's ok would have liked him better if an unmasked head been included. As fair as injecting him into current MOTU media, meh I don't mind every franchise gets new modern characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos75 View Post
    He's the Jar Jar Binks of MOTU!
    He is! And seeings how Jar Jar was responsible for the entire fall of the senate and the rise of the empire.......maybe TMS is just as diabolical

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I kind of agree with the title (that he should go away). I do not hate The Mighty Spector. I actually like the figure, but feel he would have worked better in DC Universe Classics, rather than MOTU Classics. I even thought it would be cool if in the comic series they made him like Loo-Kee and hid him in ONE panel of each issue, and then he had a singular issue that showed his mission (preferably a digital one-shot), tying all his one-shot appearances together. That would be cool and fun.

I feel the problem isn't The Mighty Spector himself, but how he's being used. Toyguru kept telling us how stealthy TMS is (which is why his name is about being a ghost, nobody noticing him), yet he's constantly being thrust into our faces through every possible outlet (as Brain mentioned). I'm fine with Loo-Kee-like nods and a story or two about TMS, but none of the MOTU characters should even know who he is! That's what really bothered me about the Sir Laser-Lot digital issue. The only people who should know TMS, are the ones living in the He-Ro: Son of He-Man era. Everyone in the past should not see him, nor know who he is. He gets in, gets his mission accomplished and gets out. He is the ghost.

Also, he seems to be screwing up his missions...and the timeline. Evil-Lyn forsees the evil future and frees up all these evil baddies, to have it shockingly blow up in her face (doesn't make sense) and Spector, the heroic time-travel agent, keeps screwing up the timeline. I mean...if he didn't get it right the first time, just go back and change the outcome.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    In the end this is less about liking him or not. It is more about wishing he would just fade in the background instead of popping up over and over.
    It is actually you who just made the topic pop up again.