Thread: OZ the Great and Powerful

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

OZ the Great and Powerful

curious to see what people thought of the movie/?

I have seen it, but i dont see a thread covering this topic.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I want to see it. It's nice to see they kept the same look to Oz but then again, WOO was made in the 30s and still has better SFX than most films today.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I watched the movie last Saturday and quite liked the film, it's a good movie and well worth seeing. They did a good job bringing together the Oz's/Prof. Marvel's background from the books, other pre-Dorothy Oz history, and other people & places from Oz to create the basis for the story and then build on it to flesh it out. And it was neat to see that not only did the movie bring in all this other stuff from the books but it was done in such a way that Oz:TGAP dovetails nicely with the 1939 film.

I guess Disney is already thinking sequel, which would be 2-3 years away, it would be pretty cool if folks at Disney were clever enough to re-release Return to Oz in theaters for a new full theatrical run while they're making the new movie. That would keep Disney's Oz movies before the public eye and cut the wait down for the new film. And assuming Disney is interested in using the original books as the basis for future Oz movies, the new movie could be based on Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz which re-unites Dorothy and the Wizard.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; March 22, 2013 at 11:32pm.

It was alright - I sadly went in with expectations. I had recently been reading through the books, and while they are good, they start to get repetative after you get a good chunk of the books down. Still, with some work; they're ripe for turning into a film franchise! I was hoping they were gona go that route with this, but they just kinda...did their own thing. I shouldn't expect anything to not be tied to the original film really...it's too much of an icon for anyone to make an Oz movie that does more book things than movie things.

It was enjoyable though, save for the "WHOA THREEEE-DEEEE" moments where things jump at you and they're gone in seconds. Also the Wicked Witch's whole thing was kinda corny to me.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    My wife and I saw it opening weekend and we both really enjoyed it.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    don't care if I ever see it again. Fortunately, it is no where near the insult to our intelligence like Dark Shadows and John Carter were last year. First off, I liked how the movie started out in black and white with a 4x3 picture with some of the effects flying across the black bars. That was well done and then when the movies goes into full 16x9 color, the effects were incredible. We ended up seeing it on the IMAX 3D due to Fandango's showtimes screw up, but it turned out to be worth it. It is by far the best looking 3D since Prometheus. There were some really great one liners and I liked how the final "battle" was done.

However, the acting in the movie was atrocious, especially from Mina Kunis, who I thought was insulting the audience with every line of dialog she said. It was like she did not even care about the movie and just did it for a paycheck. James Franco was no different than every other character he has played in every movie, as no matter what he sees, he looks stoned. This guy has about as much emotion as Vin Diesel. Glenda was probably the worst character in the whole movie though as she was just your standard "I'm a good girl who believes in you" characters. Lastly, while I did like Elfman's score, a lot of it sounded like he just took it out of the second Spider-Man movie (plus, there were A LOT of cameos from actors in the Spider-Man Duology.

Finally, I'm not sure what it is, but Disney seems to have no grasp of what to do with the stories. It's like they have come to the conclusion that they need to Lord of the Rings everything like they have with Oz, Alice in Wonderland, and John Carter, or just go over the top as they have with Dark Shadows and soon to be The Lone Ranger. In fact, The Long Ranger looks down right awful to the point that not even Johnny Depp will be able to save it. What happened to him? He used to be great at any and everything he did, did what he wanted to do, and now, it is as if Disney owns his soul.

Overall, the movie was worth seeing in theaters, only because the 3D is the only thing worth seeing, if 3D isn't your thing though, don't even bother with a rental. I'd give it a 2.5/5.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I saw it last weekend and like it alot I thought the movie had alot of heart and really liked character of China Girl However, if there was ONE thing that kinda bothered me--it was Mila Kunis as the wicked witch. I don't know if it was just due to seeing Margaret Hamilton in that role that it's hard to accept someone else doing it or what I dont think she was bad as the character--but when you compare the two--they dont line up very well, I mean she even had a low cut top to show off her body I mean, shouldn't she have just had a regular haggy outfit on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    However, the acting in the movie was atrocious, especially from Mina Kunis, who I thought was insulting the audience with every line of dialog she said. It was like she did not even care about the movie and just did it for a paycheck..
    I wouldn't say it that strongly, but yeah--something was definitely off in her portrayl though (don't think it's entirely her faul though--writers ,wardrobe, makeup,etc... could be to blame too)

Heroic Warrior
    Saw it, loved it, hope to see more movies from the land of OZ.

I saw it opening weekend and loved it. It was a really great "fun" movie. I keep reading how a lot of people didn't like Mila's performance but I thought she did rather well. Rachel Weisz was excellent. She makes a great villain IMO.

I took my Grandmother who still remembered seeing TWoO at the theaters with her parents when it first came out. It was literally the first film she saw in a theater since Dances With Wolves. You should have heard her once the 3d kicked in.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I wouldn't say it that strongly, but yeah--something was definitely off in her portrayl though (don't think it's entirely her faul though--writers ,wardrobe, makeup,etc... could be to blame too)
    I think it was really just because she was out of her element. She proved her that she cannot do fantasy stories.

It also didn't help that her make up and costume were down right ugly, and not in the ugly they were supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I saw it opening weekend and loved it. It was a really great "fun" movie. I keep reading how a lot of people didn't like Mila's performance but I thought she did rather well. Rachel Weisz was excellent. She makes a great villain IMO.
    Meh, Weisz was not terrible, but it was obvious she was the villain right from the get go. The only reason she was in this movie is to remind people she has a career.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.