Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRU Frustration

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    My problem is with the folks at the top, not the bottom. The big wigs who set the policies and the prices are the reason for any problems I have at my local store, not the folks who work there. I've been shopping at that store since they opened in the 80's, and all the folks there know I'm a regular customer (and not a local reseller/ebay guy). What they actually get in they put out; the problem is that they don't get a lot in here at the tail end of the distribution chain. But the actual people who work there are almost always helpful and friendly to me (and, no, I don't have to pay them on the side to do so, just treat them with some courtesy and respect).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Snappy Threader
    I think I just live in a reseller hotbed or something. When I go to bigger cities, they have a lot of stuff, but not really anything new. It's like their shelves are full, but they are full of the same old crap the local store has. In mine, the WWE aisle for instance, always empty. They have some of the lame TNA 3 packs and a bunch of Dolph Ziggler regular issues. All they have for elite is Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan. Then they have a ton of role play kiddie belts. For DCUC, nothing at all new as I posted previously. Batman Movie Masters still has a showing of Havey Dents from years ago. Nothing to speak of from NECA except Rocky figs....GI Joe is limited to 2 pegs. Crummy Transformers and Iron Man figs and little kid Spiderman crap have whole aisles. Heck, even the Star Wars section is nothing but Naboo Guards and crummy Battle Droid crap. As far as the DCUC/MOTU two packs go, they have an overabundance of Hawkman/Stratos and Aquaman/Mer-Man but they NEVER had Battle Armor Faker that I saw....it's just a shame. At least when Kay-Bee was still around TRU kept things a bit more stocked and recent, but with no competition, they don't do anything. Wal-Mart and Target have reduced their figure aisle to nothing....so the shelves are bare unless you like crummy Radakai or whatever its called and bakugan crap. Ugh! Makes me angry.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    In mine, the WWE aisle for instance, always empty. They have some of the lame TNA 3 packs and a bunch of Dolph Ziggler regular issues. All they have for elite is Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan. Then they have a ton of role play kiddie belts. For DCUC, nothing at all new as I posted previously. Batman Movie Masters still has a showing of Havey Dents from years ago. Nothing to speak of from NECA except Rocky figs....GI Joe is limited to 2 pegs. Crummy Transformers and Iron Man figs and little kid Spiderman crap have whole aisles. Heck, even the Star Wars section is nothing but Naboo Guards and crummy Battle Droid crap. As far as the DCUC/MOTU two packs go, they have an overabundance of Hawkman/Stratos and Aquaman/Mer-Man but they NEVER had Battle Armor Faker that I saw....it's just a shame.
    You just described the average TRU.

The WWE stuff is always empty cause it sells very fast. WWE figures are actually one of Mattel's best brands, believe it or not. Wrestling fans are very loyal buy tons of action figures. The reason you see only Elite Dolphs and Bryans is cause those are the 2 figures that are packed out 2 to a case.

Every TRU still has Harvey Dent figures. My TRU has no DCUC but they do have the new Unlimited lines. The problem with them is that they currently hard to find at retail and just sell fast. The Wave 2 DCUC vs. MOTU figures are all over the place. TRU can't give them away.

The reason the "Crummy Transformers and Iron Man figs and little kid Spiderman crap have whole aisles" is cause it sells. Period. Doesn't matter if you like it or not but these are the lines most in demand nowadays by kids. It only makes sense to push them. The opposite can be said about GIJOE. It's no longer in demand like it was 15 years ago. It's evolved to a mostly collector market. In today's world, military figures are just not very PC. It's sad but that's the world we now live in.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    You just described the average TRU.

The WWE stuff is always empty cause it sells very fast. WWE figures are actually one of Mattel's best brands, believe it or not. Wrestling fans are very loyal buy tons of action figures. The reason you see only Elite Dolphs and Bryans is cause those are the 2 figures that are packed out 2 to a case.

Every TRU still has Harvey Dent figures. My TRU has no DCUC but they do have the new Unlimited lines. The problem with them is that they currently hard to find at retail and just sell fast. The Wave 2 DCUC vs. MOTU figures are all over the place. TRU can't give them away.

The reason the "Crummy Transformers and Iron Man figs and little kid Spiderman crap have whole aisles" is cause it sells. Period. Doesn't matter if you like it or not but these are the lines most in demand nowadays by kids. It only makes sense to push them. The opposite can be said about GIJOE. It's no longer in demand like it was 15 years ago. It's evolved to a mostly collector market. In today's world, military figures are just not very PC. It's sad but that's the world we now live in.
    Oh for sure. i agree with you buddy. That's why lego and playmobil are always clean, tidy and well stocked. It sells. Action figures are a dying concept.....

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Every TRU still has Harvey Dent figures. ---- The Wave 2 DCUC vs. MOTU figures are all over the place. TRU can't give them away.
    SO TRUE!! From NY to NJ its ALL Harvey Dent figures on old dusty beat up cards at full price. The DCvsMOTU2 figures are gunna be around for a looooooooooong time me thinks. Funny story is none of the above mentioned will ever be on clearance, and god forbid im wrong and it is, 1 dollar off lol!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    SO TRUE!! From NY to NJ its ALL Harvey Dent figures on old dusty beat up cards at full price. The DCvsMOTU2 figures are gunna be around for a looooooooooong time me thinks. Funny story is none of the above mentioned will ever be on clearance, and god forbid im wrong and it is, 1 dollar off lol!
    The MOTU vs. Dc sets though were on sale just back in January. They were buy 1 get 1 30% off...or something like that. MY TRU didn't sell a single one. It still has exactly 24 Wave 2 packs.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Yeah I don't get it. They just shuffle them from aisle to aisle....I don't understand why they aren't on clearance......ever....

The MOTU vs. Dc sets though were on sale just back in January. They were buy 1 get 1 30% off...or something like that. MY TRU didn't sell a single one. It still has exactly 24 Wave 2 packs.
    LOL. They will not mark them down lower -- even though that is what is required to sell them. What will happen is they won't bother putting them on sale again
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    LOL. They will not mark them down lower -- even though that is what is required to sell them. What will happen is they won't bother putting them on sale again
    Yeah, the same Stratos and Mer-Man sets have been sitting there for over a year and not moved. They should lower the price and then maybe they would sell.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I kept waiting for a clearance to buy the Stratos pack - and I'd buy a Zodac one as well, but they'd have to be $20 or less. Since it doesn't look like that's going to happen, they're going to continue to gather dust...literally.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I just wish our TRU would have gotten some beyond the Stratos and Mermaid packs.

I don't think it's possible for Toys R Us to put things on clearance When I worked there, we got an employee discount, sure. But whenever I went to buy anything, whether it was a Lego set or candy bar, they asked me at least three times who it was for. Not making as much money as possible? Not in their ethic - MOTUC vs. DCUC? Never going on sale

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I just wish our TRU would have gotten some beyond the Stratos and Mermaid packs.
    I agree 100%. My 3 local TRU stores never got to the Zodac and She-Ra 2-packs.
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I agree 100%. My 3 local TRU stores never got to the Zodac and She-Ra 2-packs.

They'll get them to eventually. It took like a year and a half, but mine finally got some in

Snappy Threader
    They'll get them to eventually. It took like a year and a half, but mine finally got some in
    Same here. Seems every month or so a new Zodac and She-Ra set makes its way to the shelf....if they go on clearance I would buy every one of them for customs......

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Same here. Seems every month or so a new Zodac and She-Ra set makes its way to the shelf....if they go on clearance I would buy every one of them for customs......
    It would be great if they made their way here.....even greater if BA Faker ever pops up...lol.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    It would be great if they made their way here.....even greater if BA Faker ever pops up...lol.
    No doubt, I am still waiting to find BA Faker at a reasonable price.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    The only place I ever saw the BA Faker 2-pack was on their website. I think it was such a limited run that they never made it to the stores. I'd be interested to see if anyone proves my theory wrong. I seem to remember ordering mine and the next day they were sold out. It was a sick time when I checked the TRU website every day...

I totally understand why my stores don't have the She-Ra and Zodac 2-packs. There is a whole section of the aisle filled with Stratos. They have no more shelf space left for anything else.

I still try to support my local TRU no matter how sad it has become over the years because I want my daughter to know what a toy store is and not to assume that Walmart is a toy store when TRU goes out of business.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Does anybody know why their Rewards $ expire ?????

Does anybody know why their Rewards $ expire ?????
    That is a great question! I would also like to know why they have to split them up. I had earned $30 in rewards but could only use $15 at a time. Each one had a 2 or 3 week window. I used the first and then forgot about the second so I lost out.

Yeah, in my case I had $4 that I hadn't been in a rush to spend. I, apparently, got some more -- probably when I bought all those redakai tins, heh.

Unfortunately, I am removed from their mailing list. Too many emails. Everyday and sometimes twice a day. So I figured I would just let them build up.

Let's see if I have this straight. They're wannabee scalpers, wannabee spammers, and they're also takebackers?

(For the record, I won't use the IG word, it's offensive to indians.)

I used to have a TRU Mastercard, but the rewards weren't that great. I might have gotten about $100 worth of rewards in 2 years.

So, I got a Royal Caribbean VISA card just 9 months ago and I have almost earned a free 7-night cruise for 2
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

This isn't frustration, but a ***!? sort of thing. I had to go to the nearest city that has a TRU for the last three weeks in a row, so I've made a point to stop by each time to see if any new NECA/Monster High figures pop up. The first time I stopped, they had received the new Portal Chell figure, which is a nice figure (and the LED gun is pretty cool), but I wasn't interested in her. Her retail was $15.99. The second time I stopped in most of the case had been sold. I stopped in today, and they had a new case of Chell in - for $22.99 each?!? The price of the figure jumped $7 in 2 weeks? The hell.....
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!