Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should be the tone of Masters of the Universe brand going forward?

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar

What should be the tone of Masters of the Universe brand going forward?

What should be the tone of Masters of the Universe brand and stories moving forward?

Should it be edgy, with death, blood, and guts? Should it be like we remember from the Filmation days, campy and action packed without death? Should it be somewhere in between? Or something else like the mini-comics, box art, or 200x?

Should it be more fantasy driven, with barbarians and magic? Or should it be more sci-fi with technology and a more universal setting? Or continue to be both?

Ultimately, the tone of the brand is what will determine how it fairs going forward.

I`m sure the tone will be the exact same as it has been over the course of the last 5 years

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The least amount of cartooniness possible.

Where pop culture is currently at, things that are overly campy get rejected outright (Dark Shadows, anyone?) so I would avoid the wink-wink Scooby-Doo stuff at all costs.

Game of Thrones, or even Lord of the Rings is a little more "heavy" than I'd want for MotU, but just because you don't go super-heavy doesn't mean you have to do the opposite and have it be all jokey and cartoony. And I'd certainly look way closer at why audiences are responding to GoT than why a small percentage of adult fans still watch Filmation cartoons.

Visually, I want a more realistic take applied, a la the vintage paintings, but with more uniqueness applied to each character like 200x did. It doesn't need to be totally realistic, but at the same time, it doesn't make any sense for so many characters to share the exact same loincloth, or boots, or bracers, etc. It doesn't have to be "real world logic" but even in fantasy logic that's too big of a hurdle to clear.

The thing is, uniqueness doesn't automatically equate to wrong tone or jarring style like some "we don't want anime" banner-carriers like to trot out to dismiss 200x wholesale. But the 4H's original idea for 200x was right on the money before it got derailed.

Main reason I want the above is because it's the version we have yet to see.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm all for more mature themes and moving the brand forward. Think Marvel and DC, those brands continue to evolve with the main universes very much for adults and older kids. I really don't want anymore dumbed down stuff, as far as animation think Young Justice or Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Live Action The Marvel Studio films are a good example of what I'd like to see with Avengers being the ultimate.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    The tone should always be a appropriate for a five year old.
    People who want Conan should go and enjoy Conan.

Some fans needs to understand the difference between action and violence, of tempering seriousness with silliness. MOTU always need to be a brand that can balance both, because that is what it has ALWAYS been! Pirates of the Caribbean and Justice League Unlimited are good examples of how to straddle that line.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Should it be edgy, with death, blood, and guts? Should it be like we remember from the Filmation days, campy and action packed without death? Should it be somewhere in between? Or something else like the mini-comics, box art, or 200x?

Should it be more fantasy driven, with barbarians and magic? Or should it be more sci-fi with technology and a more universal setting? Or continue to be both?

Ultimately, the tone of the brand is what will determine how it fairs going forward.
    People can die, but we don't need to see their severed heads in order to get that across. It's always been fantasy driven (magic and monsters) against a primitive medieval society with super advanced (almost always ancient) technology. That is what makes it unique. Going away from that makes it like everything else. It started off as a toy line & cartoon for kids and should always be one.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; March 23, 2013 at 05:33pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I know I'm more alone in this but I want two different tones.
    1) Filmation like & young Kid friendly:
    If you want new fans, MOTU needs to be kid friendly. It needs to be aimed at the 3-8 year old age group. After that point they are hooked on video games and don't buy toys outside of what they already know (ie star wars, wwe, etc.). Most parents won't let their 4 year old watch game of thrones or walking dead. So we need a cartoon that is aimed young (like transformers rescue bots). These should be self contained episodes. No long overarching story that will lose kids and when the Christmas TV break comes will not lose them.
    2) Older kids:
    This would be something down the lines of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It has some death and more mature themes but still no blood and guts. It can be dark but still have the times that are lighthearted. Can have season long plot lines as the 7-12 range can remember and focus on a large story arch.
    3) Teens & Adults:
    This can be darker. This is where you really deal with the real nature of evil and the what does He-man do when faced with either Snake-man/Reptilons genocide and death of humanity. You can do the blood and guts and real dilemmas.

As for media:
    1) Young kids: Should be a TV Show and toy line to go with it (3 3/4 inch, mini-masters, or even just the rerelease of the original toys). This is the age group where the love of toys has to start in the tablet video game age.
    2) Older kids: TV Show, series of xBox/PS video games, and series of tablet games
    3) Teens & Adults: Comics, a movie, Xbox game like the Elder Scrolls series, maybe a TV show but I see that failing.

And I'm for the all inclusive story. I like the magic and technology. But my favorite toys came from the late waves so I'm a bit biased.

It should emulate the new TMNT re-launch as much as possible. They've found the perfect balance to attract new kids and old fans alike. Serious stories with action(not violence) and threatening villains but with enough humor to keep it light.

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    The tone should always be a appropriate for a five year old.
    People who want Conan should go and enjoy Conan.

Some fans needs to understand the difference between action and violence, of tempering seriousness with silliness. MOTU always need to be a brand that can balance both, because that is what it has ALWAYS been! Pirates of the Caribbean and Justice League Unlimited are good examples of how to straddle that line.

People can die, but we don't need to see their severed heads in order to get that across. It's always been fantasy driven (magic and monsters) against a primitive medieval society with super advanced (almost always ancient) technology. That is what makes it unique. Going away from that makes it like everything else. It started off as a toy line & cartoon for kids and should always be one.
    I see it a different way, if you want it for 5 year olds then you make a cartoon directed to that market that`s spun off and toned down for that audience. We grew up with MOTU and it should grow with us. There`s no reason at all that it can`t have the seriousness and action/violence level of let`s say Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter even. It needs to be darker, let`s face it Skeletor jumping up and down whining he wants to be evil is lame now that I`m almost 40. Skeletor is a talking skull and needs to be truly evil rather than campy. There are many other franchises that do this, look at DC or Marvel? They have their cartoons directed at younger audiences then they the adult oriented movies that aren`t all that great for younger children. It doesn`t HAVE to be only what it always was, it can be enjoyable for Adults who like the darker stuff as well, if Vykron is gonna get ripped in half by Gygor or the Sorceress decapitated I want to see it
    Last edited by adam03; March 23, 2013 at 10:51pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    What should be the tone of Masters of the Universe brand and stories moving forward?
    I'd say a nice sepia would fit Masters of the Universe.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I think 200X had the perfect balance.

Multiple warring factions working against each other (and at times, themselves) within the backdrop of a futuristic society that collapsed into a broken down sword and sorcery dystopia in which the environment itself can also be the enemy.

...but that's just me.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

If there were an animated series, I'd prefer the tone to either be something fun along the lines of Batman The Brave And The Bold, or something a tad edgier but not over-the-top bloodshed, akin to Young Justice.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    It should emulate the new TMNT re-launch as much as possible. They've found the perfect balance to attract new kids and old fans alike. Serious stories with action(not violence) and threatening villains but with enough humor to keep it light.
    TMNT has no stupid Cartoon Network moving their timeslot around or putting the show on hiatus and losing momentum.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Something like the Avengers - serious action with some humor and levity. Not so far up its own behind like The Dark Knight Rises.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Humor and lessens inter-twined with action. Gotta have lessons. I think the MYP was amazing. Anything of that caliber and investment into the past as well as the future would be generally awesome. Something with the Mighty Spector would be even cooler. It should act as a commercial for the toys still.
    Cringer should talk.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    as far as animation think Young Justice or Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Live Action The Marvel Studio films are a good example of what I'd like to see with Avengers being the ultimate.
    Now I think this would be a horrible idea. I hate how every modern animated superhero show has bad anime-ish artwork. 200X he-man didn't work for me for this reason alone. Mature themes, and kiddy animation? That creates a huge disconnect for me. Basically, I don't want anything that looks like Batman The Animated Series (big jaws, women with huge cat eyes, stick legs, etc). I want realistic human proportions.

The vintage mini-comics hit the right tone ... especially the second series that introduced Tri-Klops, Trap Jaw, Ram-Man, Man-E-Faces, Procrustus, the Tale of Teela and Point Dread.

No deaths, but genuine action and conflict.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    TMNT has no stupid Cartoon Network moving their timeslot around or putting the show on hiatus and losing momentum.
    Oh man I could not agree more! Cartoon Network has lost EVERY show that i watch except 1.5. I am expecting Mystery Inc. will be killed this year as well so they will have Ben 10 which is one i watch casually. Nickelodeon has done so much better with TMNT. Heck it has been greenlit for 3 seasons already and they support it thoroughly. CN has shuffled crap around to the point it is almost impossible to find when new episodes air. Mystery Inc. for example was on at 2 pm last summer and new episodes come back this week at 5pm and i know this only because of my DVR. And the hiatus for YJ and GAS that was announced the DAY BEFORE it started was beyond ridiculous. IMO CN should never be given a licensed property again. They should only handle their own cartoons because too many shows have been ruined by them.

But I digress. MOTU should emulate TMNT and be kid friendly yet moderately serious. It is the prefect cartoon tone to me. Mystery Inc. shares the same tone and Clone Wars was able to be serious only because it was a Star Wars show, another show CN has lost this year btw. Hopefully, MOTU gets another run at mainstream media soon. I would love to see the SOHM series developed instead of a relaunch.

I think the strength of MOTU is that it has so many different incarnations now that every individual can take what aspects of the mythos and the story they want and claim that to be "their cannon" and have that be the world that these figures or stories are set in. For me it was the 200X show that really brought me back to MOTU so that is kinda my area of comfort so if they ever carried on with that right where they left off I would be a happy Plundar - not to say that Filmation or the mini-comics or any other body of work is less credible or important to me.

Going forward? I think MOTU should be whatever it needs to be to get new fans and go from strength to strength - if it gets a live action show one day that is blood and gore, so be it, if it finds success after releasing those mini-masters figures we saw a few years back and ends up being a huge hit with pre-schoolers then that is fine too. I want more MOTU... the stuff from the past will still be there for us to enjoy which is why I never really understand people being negative about one show or period. It's all good to me.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'd say a nice sepia would fit Masters of the Universe.
    Or beige, I do so like a nice beige with my furry shorts.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Now I think this would be a horrible idea. I hate how every modern animated superhero show has bad anime-ish artwork. 200X he-man didn't work for me for this reason alone. Mature themes, and kiddy animation? That creates a huge disconnect for me. Basically, I don't want anything that looks like Batman The Animated Series (big jaws, women with huge cat eyes, stick legs, etc). I want realistic human proportions.
    Bruce Timm's minimalistic style isn't anime, but I think I know what you mean. You mean art like the Sunbow cartoons or Lorimar Telepictures, right? Where characters were drawn normally, not all streamlined.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Filmationish, with modern tones and a little more action than goofiness, if someone has to die, it's because it is natural and not forced just for the crap ass sake of offing someone to draw audience. I'd like to see a Filmation type story continued, but rebooted some to fix a few details. No need for huge ass guys ripped with roid rage, nor animation that belongs in Japan or **** (I'm looking at you Voltron Force (hate the animation, keeps me from watching it), and 200X (to a lesser extent)) like that, good old fashioned Filmation style with much more detail and depth. More or less if Filmation was today and had a much bigger budget, drama with morals and not stupid ass crap like Adventure Time or Gumball....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Something like the Avengers - serious action with some humor and levity. Not so far up its own behind like The Dark Knight Rises.
    hey, now...no, you're right for the most part. as much as i loved the dark knight trilogy, i don't think MOTU would be the best material to try to translate in that style. but i would love it if a new film were more serious and character driven then we've seen so far.

as much as i want a movie that will draw new fans, i also want a movie that blows away expectations with how moving and urgent it is. a movie that lives up to the MOTU name while also elevating itself far above what anyone thought possible for the material.

part of me wonders if MOTU wouldn't work better as a live action series?

if we're talking about getting a new toon, i would love something in the bruce timm style, since someone brought it up. he's one of my favorite artists.

but if you want a quick way to get new fans and thrill current fans- get a great video game out there. something along the lines of batman: arkham city...though, not with that same tone.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

the future of the line. a line for adults with adult sensibilities. not to say inaccessible to children but also acknowledging it is not primarilly for them. king he man and son of he man, dare he-ro

death and actually using the sword as a sword are fine. not to be a crutch but not off limits.

basically anything as long as there is more. take a cue from hasbro. make misteps but keep producing it in one for or another

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    The least amount of cartooniness possible.

Where pop culture is currently at, things that are overly campy get rejected outright (Dark Shadows, anyone?) so I would avoid the wink-wink Scooby-Doo stuff at all costs.

Game of Thrones, or even Lord of the Rings is a little more "heavy" than I'd want for MotU, but just because you don't go super-heavy doesn't mean you have to do the opposite and have it be all jokey and cartoony. And I'd certainly look way closer at why audiences are responding to GoT than why a small percentage of adult fans still watch Filmation cartoons.

Visually, I want a more realistic take applied, a la the vintage paintings, but with more uniqueness applied to each character like 200x did. It doesn't need to be totally realistic, but at the same time, it doesn't make any sense for so many characters to share the exact same loincloth, or boots, or bracers, etc. It doesn't have to be "real world logic" but even in fantasy logic that's too big of a hurdle to clear.

The thing is, uniqueness doesn't automatically equate to wrong tone or jarring style like some "we don't want anime" banner-carriers like to trot out to dismiss 200x wholesale. But the 4H's original idea for 200x was right on the money before it got derailed.

Main reason I want the above is because it's the version we have yet to see.
    I´m with you on every single word.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!