View Poll Results: Should polls close automatically after a year??

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all those old polls are confusing

27 67.50%
  • No, keep these open till the end of time

7 17.50%
  • Meh.

6 15.00%

Thread: Should polls close automatically after a year??

Should polls close automatically after a year??

Most of those polls popping up lately have already exceeded their best before date and suck out the air of polls from the present. Do you think polls should close automatically after at least a year to prevent misusage?
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Yes! I love polls, but digging up these oldies is a bit pointless I think. I think they sjouke remain available to view though.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

yeah, the old ones do get a bit confusing.....I'll be like sweet a new poll....then I'll see the date and be like ***! Don't get why people would drudge up outdated polls unless they're not realizing they're outdated........in which case this would solve that!

Meh, sometimes the polls get outdated and are only applicable for particualr window of time.

I haven't done one in a while, but the next time I do I will likely set an ending date on it.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Whoever is digging up the old polls should read first, then vote, It's stupid to vote on something so old and out of date. But Whatever on the poll closings, people should just stop dredging the pond and make new up to date polls instead. I'm sure that's not against the rules since the polls would be so different.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Snappy Threader
    I voted yes. Same here, I log in and I'm like WOW new polls, just to see it's like "Will He-Ro be released" or "What was your favite SDCC reveal in 2009".....All polls are genuinly fun, infomrative and important....but so many are well out dated. I think they should be locked after a certain period of time, but still viewable of course.

No, b/c some stay relevant after a year. Some of the discussions that are brought back up sometimes are good. But most of the crap being dredged up lately is out of date, or pointless. Just someone doing it for a laugh, I suppose.

Relevancy is an issue here. Sometimes the poll can be relevant other times it's information that isn't useful anymore.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

No. But on most forums voting on an old poll doesn't bump it to the top of the page. They could adjust polls so that only posting in them could bump them up.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

What about a remainder message to the original poster after some time? (Each 6 months?) So that she/he can decide it it's still relevant or not. (No idea if that's automatizable with the forum software though.)
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    No, b/c some stay relevant after a year. Some of the discussions that are brought back up sometimes are good. But most of the crap being dredged up lately is out of date, or pointless. Just someone doing it for a laugh, I suppose.
    I agree they can still be important after a year no doubt. However some discretion can be used in closing them, like if a particular year (like 2009) or con (SDCC 2011) is still active, those could be locked but still viewable.

Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post
    What about a remainder message to the original poster after some time? (Each 6 months?) So that she/he can decide it it's still relevant or not. (No idea if that's automatizable with the forum software though.)
    Good idea....

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Ehh, I don't care.

But it would be interesting to see if this particular poll pops up again in 5-6 years from now...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Ehh, I don't care.

But it would be interesting to see if this particular poll pops up again in 5-6 years from now...
    Sorry to disappoint you B.J., but the poll will close in about 2 weeks.

It can't pop up again without digging it up the traditional way.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you B.J., but the poll will close in about 2 weeks.

It can't pop up again without digging it up the traditional way.
    That sounds like a challenge to me!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

when you create a poll, you have the chance of choose when it expires.

If people don't use this is probably because they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    when you create a poll, you have the chance of choose when it expires.

If people don't use this is probably because they don't want to.
    That's not exactly the point.

Example: if you make a poll about how you expect Modulok to be, it's obsolete when Modulok is released, but you don't know beforehand when Modulok will be released.
    If 7 months after you opened the poll Modulok is actually released (or announced in detail), you know 7 months after that it's time to close the poll.
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Ehh, I don't care.

This thread being a poll, I will say yes, even if it expires, someone can still dredge it up later....so technically, it can come back in 5-6 years, thread wise.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    While I enjoy reading some of the older polls, a year's time should be plenty for most questions.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Yep, should close.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor