Thread: Flash Gordon - The Greatest Adventure of All... missing in action

Widget

Flash Gordon - The Greatest Adventure of All... missing in action

Hi all, new to the forums.

I'm a Filmation fan from since I was a kid, watched several of the shows both live and animated.

Although I really like He-Man and Jason of Star Command, my all-time favorite was Flash Gordon. More specifically the movie. I was very disappointed to find it missing from the "complete" Flash Gordon DVD set. Does anyone know why? It's (IMHO) the finest work Filmation ever produced and it's a shame that it wasn't released.

I'd appreciate any info or links on this subject.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    As I recall, the rights to the Flash Gordon: The Greatest Adventure of All were separate from Filmation's Flash Gordon cartoon. I have no idea why the rights were separate, but I'm sure that BCI Eclipse would have included the movie with the T.V. show if it had been possible.

It's one of those weird things that happen with rights, such as the rights for Transformers: The Movie are tied up with the general Transformers movie rights (and not with the original show), so right now Paramount controls the home video fate of the original animated movie.

Quote from original thread: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...Gordon-DVD-set

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    No, no movie included, I'm sorry
    The set contain only the complete series.

BCI would love to release the movie, and we requested it many times to Hearts, but at this time the movie seems to be unavailable (they can't find it! ).
    If this will change in the future, I'm sure BCI will do whatever is possible to release it

Widget
    Thanks very much for your replies guys.

Jukka, what is "Hearts" that Emiliano is referring to? A person? So BCI do (correction: did) own the rights to the movie but mastertapes are missing? Weird.

Went googling and seems BCI was shut down by Navarre, who I guess own the rights now. Does not look very promising. They're mainly a logistics company. Hm, wonder if they sold the Filmation rights to anyone else...

Hearst Entertainment is the rights holder for the Flash Gordon cartoon. I'm guessing that is what he meant.

Widget
    Thanks, I actually mailed Hearst now. Let's see if they care to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterZolomon View Post
    Thanks very much for your replies guys.

Jukka, what is "Hearts" that Emiliano is referring to? A person? So BCI do (correction: did) own the rights to the movie but mastertapes are missing? Weird.

Went googling and seems BCI was shut down by Navarre, who I guess own the rights now. Does not look very promising. They're mainly a logistics company. Hm, wonder if they sold the Filmation rights to anyone else...
    BCI never owned the rights to any of the Filmation or Hearst shows. They only licensed them for a period of years. Those rights have long since reverted back to their owners.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    A friend had a bootleg version I borrowed several years back, and I was pleased to see that the film held up very well over the years since I first saw it on NBC (I'm sure it was the peac0ck that showed it). A lot of the animation is the same, but the story is different in several ways. I wish someone would officially release it, as it is really good. Not just good for a cartoon, but good, period.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Widget
    Thanks for clearing that up BCI Guy.

scott: The reason a lot of the animation is the same is that the TV series was basically cannibalized from the movie as far as I understand. But the movie contains a lot more adult material than the series. The Ming-Nazi connection being the obvious one but also a lot of other dialogue and action. I had only seen the movie as a kid, not the series. So to me, the series feels like a very watered down version. Much like Battle of the Planets compared to original Gatchaman.

Also, I wouldn't just call Flash Gordon TGAOA "good". I'm suggesting that it's the finest work ever produced by Filmation.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterZolomon View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up BCI Guy.

scott: The reason a lot of the animation is the same is that the TV series was basically cannibalized from the movie as far as I understand. But the movie contains a lot more adult material than the series. The Ming-Nazi connection being the obvious one but also a lot of other dialogue and action. I had only seen the movie as a kid, not the series. So to me, the series feels like a very watered down version. Much like Battle of the Planets compared to original Gatchaman.

Also, I wouldn't just call Flash Gordon TGAOA "good". I'm suggesting that it's the finest work ever produced by Filmation.
    I'd have a hard time arguing that last point.

As for the more mature approach, I still recall Thun talking to flash, describing his life, and ending by saying that "you haven't loved until you've loved a lion woman." The whole thing was really Filmation at its best. But some of the more adult aspects did find their way into the regular show; I was a bit surpirsed in one of the early episodes where Aura is reclining on a bed/pile of pillows and is basically shifting around and posing the way you'd expect in a pin-up shoot. Nothing R rated, mind you, but pretty racey for Staurday morning in the 70's.

And an interesting note, Teela's unique hair and face are taken directly from Aura. Remove the bottom part of Aura's long hair, and you have Teela's head and hairstyle. The rotoscoped walk is also used for Teela in the 80's.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I'd have a hard time arguing that last point.

As for the more mature approach, I still recall Thun talking to flash, describing his life, and ending by saying that "you haven't loved until you've loved a lion woman." The whole thing was really Filmation at its best. But some of the more adult aspects did find their way into the regular show; I was a bit surpirsed in one of the early episodes where Aura is reclining on a bed/pile of pillows and is basically shifting around and posing the way you'd expect in a pin-up shoot. Nothing R rated, mind you, but pretty racey for Staurday morning in the 70's.

And an interesting note, Teela's unique hair and face are taken directly from Aura. Remove the bottom part of Aura's long hair, and you have Teela's head and hairstyle. The rotoscoped walk is also used for Teela in the 80's.
    Haha, yeah I remember that. Another scene and conversation that stuck with me is the part when Flash and Thun are eating *something* while laboring as slaves in the mines beneath Mongo City. I think they even insinuate that the Lizard Women feed on dead slaves.

And yeah, Aura is something you would raise your eyebrows about even today! The "reclining Aura" scene when Dale pushes Flash about what he thinks about Aura and Flash admits that he finds her very attractive was actually cut from the first televised version I saw. Too hot for kids.

I can easily imagine Filmation re-using Aura designs/rotoscoping sequences for Teela, the resemblence is striking. Her diadem is identical amongst other things. Filmation always were big on re-use

I think what stands out for me as the top reason for loving Filmation's Flash Gordon is the atmosphere though. They totally nailed the classic-vintage-pulp sci-fi vibe.