Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (4/1/2013)

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I personally know of 2 local subscribers, and both were ripped of Fisto, one got the mailer with Sorceress, and one got nothing at all....so there's 2 I know alone....Now seriously, if I know 2 local personally, how many more are there that we don't know?
    Add me to the wrong mailer box list. I had Fisto and Sorceress pre-ordered from BBTS, and got a Fisto box with a Sorceress. By the next morning, I had an actual Fisto reserved in my pile of loot and a paid postage "sticker" to print off from UPS to return the Sorceress. I was also pretty certain that the box was checked to make sure it was a Fisto when I got it, as the figure was in the package backwards (compared to the original two mailer boxes I received). THAT'S how a good e-tailer deals with such problems, even if they themselves were in no way responsible for the mix up.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    In that particular case, it WAS a widespread issue; there will always be some unavoidable foul-ups like that, but this was far and above anything that had happened before. And there were no reports of the reverse, so there was some sort of shortage of Fistos to begin with. The fact that they ran out of Fistos so quickly adds further fuel to that theory. They had been holding back customer stock from the start. and we'd never seen it run out that quickly, even with figures who actually had flaws like reversed parts. And that ignores the bigger problem at the time, namely all of the folks who had there subs cancelled who wound up without Fisto, Sorceress, and /or the exclusive Weaver. ALL of those figures should have been available because those folks had subbed in August, and the production numbers are based on the subs, plus some for day of. Mattel and DR KNEW of the major spate of sub cancellations and still just sold the figures meant for said subs. It wasn't just a mixing up of mailer boxes, it was a multifaceted breakdown on Matty's part, and a very good example of why many folks have gotten disgusted enough with the site to leave it for good.
    How widespread? I've only seen a few complaints of this issue? You have to remember there was another issue at the same time when Fisto was coming out, and a much bigger issue. The issue of many subscribers subscriptions being cancelled for various reasons. This cancelled subscription stock then became day of sale stock, not added to customer service stock. So much of the customer service stock was used to fill in cancelled subscriptions and even there wasn't enough for that. Because Fisto was definitely available for day of sale because I bought some extras. And while subscribers who didn't receive Fisto after their subs were reinstated still received Sorceress (increased production over other figures) and Shadow Weaver (no day of sale stock).

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    What does that have to do with anything?

Mattel doesnt want to count on DoS figures, I think that has been pretty clear for a while now. They want the sales they can "bank" on, I still think there is a good chance 2014 and after will be SUB only
    It means plenty to me. I don't want to hear Mattel crying about how they don't have enough customers/sales, when they refuse to sell product on sale days. If they don't get enough sales, then it's their own fault, not the fans.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    It means plenty to me. I don't want to hear Mattel crying about how they don't have enough customers/sales, when they refuse to sell product on sale days. If they don't get enough sales, then it's their own fault, not the fans.
    Making it so hard to sub is part of this too.

I got into the line in November 2012 and have to wait until July 2013 to sub for 2014. That's crazayzy!

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    So Gygor ripping Vykron in half was approved? The Sorceress, Man-At-Arms, Stratos and Zodac getting killed off was approved too?

Man, I'd hate to see what Mattel didn't want to see in the bios!
    Forgive my ignorance - where was it said that Gygor tore Vykron in half? Or that Zodac died?
    Angella Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MultiBot NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Forgive my ignorance - where was it said that Gygor tore Vykron in half? Or that Zodac died?
    Read Vykrons bio for his becoming half the man he once was.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    The problem with the line is the choices made by Mattel, not the fans, and yet the fans are punished for it, and worst yet, constantly reminded that it's their fault, not Mattel.
    indeed. this is the most maddening thing of all
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Read Vykron's bio and Strobo's bio.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

...so, apparently the 6 figure per year backup model is no longer an option???

WHY?

Apparently now its sell the 12 figure model or we get canceled now?

...did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post

WHY?

...did I miss something?
    I think it's more Mattel threats to get subscriptions. A 6 figure backup sub means that the line will survive if fans don't sub. The 2014 sub drive might work better if fans believe that NOTHING else is coming if you don't sub up.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post

WHY?

...did I miss something?
    Because Matty is confident that they can get enough for Plan A. They don't need to talk Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Because Matty is confident that they can get enough for Plan A. They don't need to talk Plan B.
    Well I pray they are correct then, as I WANT my vintage figure upgrades into classics completed... and frankly there is no way to see that thru without a 2014 and 2015 line!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Is it just me, or does it seem like less and less sites are doing Q&As each month?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think it's more Mattel threats to get subscriptions. A 6 figure backup sub means that the line will survive if fans don't sub. The 2014 sub drive might work better if fans believe that NOTHING else is coming if you don't sub up.
    This is what I'm thinking as well. It would be smarter for Mattel to not give a secondary plan to force the sub.

Heroic Warrior
    Is it just me, or does it seem like less and less sites are doing Q&As each month?
    Given the kind of answers we get, I think it's a bit normal that some sites would get tired to ask questions each month...

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Given the kind of answers we get, I think it's a bit normal that some sites would get tired to ask questions each month...
    You can pretty much answer any question you pose to Matty on your own. Simply randomly pick from the below choices:

1. Legally we cannot reveal that
    2. Nothing to report right now
    3. Yes, but is subject to change
    4. No, but is subject to change
    5. Only if people buy enough subs
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    No, you're right. I think it's the idea that Mattel really doesn't answer much beyond some canon clarifications, unless you're asking about a figure that has already been revealed. The usual questions are asking about getting rid of Digital River, asking about QC, asking about shipping, asking who ______ is, or asking when is _____________ coming out.

Another reason why I think questions are dying down is because the line is heading toward finishing all of the old characters. There is a lack of asking about obscure characters and their chances in Classics until 2016.

Usually we'll see more site participation around some reveals (i.e, NYTF, SDCC, SDCC exclusive reveals, etc.). Right now, it's a slow period as we wait for the exclusive reveal.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 2, 2013 at 01:05pm.

Doing away with day of sales will kill the line,remember last year when the sub wasn't selling and everybody was on the org trying to get as much people as possible to sub even though they already had two or three,in some cases more.I collect this line for nostalgia so i wouldn't take more than one sub anyway,and remember that if sub prices are up then the second market price goes up as well,Mattel want their money first and they don't care if your out of pocket and stuck with however many you bought.

The sub isn't a guarantee until a minimum number is met and Mattel decide that number,playing the customers on fear that the line will end.Having DoS stock gives Mattel profit,if that profit isn't there then the cost of the figures in the sub has to go up.

If Mattel are going all sub then they will have to rethink controversial decisions like $60 Star Sisters and $75 FFM,people won't sub up if there is a fear of losing money on the figures they don't want,those two examples to international buyers are $100-$110 inc. shipping and if i remember correctly the FFM were hotly disputed and still are controversial.

Also for me if the line is sub only then they're gonna have to reveal more than three figures at a time,most of the heavy hitters are gone and the ones that are left i would pick up on the second market,i'm not in it for PoP or NA its the vintage line for me and thats it.A lot of the nostalgic collectors like myself don't care about canons and factions,bio's and stories,we want the figures that we had when we were kids.Simple.

It was fans like myself that bought King Grayskull,He-man and Beastman that made this line and they were all DoS.

Quote Originally Posted by he-man121 View Post
    Doing away with day of sales will kill the line
    I don't think this is accurate. Doing away with day of sales will likely increase subscription purchases because resellers will see $$$ signs with figures such as Fang Man and Seahawk going for 3x cost on the secondary market. I think going that route will also force some people on the fence to subscribe because they won't want to pay the high ebay prices for the figures they would miss out on.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    But then how do you explain them being able to offer the Filmation sub without even needing guaranteed sales? If the line is in such dire straights, why would they even conceive of adding another sub? It just makes no sense! If Pepsico is having trouble selling enough grape soda to stay in business they're not going to launch another line of grape soda on top of the grape soda they already sell.
    You're forgetting the timeline here. The Filmation sub wasn't offered right alongside the 2013 sub. When the 2013 sub went over minimum, we were told that gave Mattel room for something down the line that wouldn't have been in the cards if it weren't for that extra 35%. In other words, the Filmation sub going forward was a direct result of the line proving there was sufficient support at that time for another sub. They had a baseline to go by, and used that to bypass the whole "sky is falling if we don't get enough customers" drama we had with the main sub. There's also the very sound point made that they had a very strong reason to want to get some mileage from having the Filmation rights, giving them an added reason to want another sub.

I have no doubt that if Filmation sub orders hadn't hit the minimum mark to justify production, we would have heard about it in no uncertain terms. And while I concede that Mattel likely milks the drama of "will the sub make it or not," I still maintain that, as inept as they sometimes prove themselves to be in the business of making toys, they are not going to make themselves look bad by saying that their flagship line for Mattycollector is in danger of collapse if there was a less embarrassing alternative. The Young Justice pre-order didn't make the minimum on Matty, and it didn't get made, and the Ghostbusters sub was scrubbed after sales didn't hit the mark, so we have seen this exact sort of thing happen on Matty, for real. Given the QC problems, credibility loss and the never ending difficulties of trying to deal with the worst website managers in the history of the net (DR), it is not hard for me to believe that the line is, indeed, teetering these days. You can't mismanage something this badly from all sides and not expect it to have a major effect on sales.

So I believe there is at least a possibility that there won't be a 2014 sub, especially since Mattel and DR still have several months before the subs go on sale in August to come up with new problems and more ways to make getting the figures even harder than it is now. If anyone can do it, they've proven they can...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Getting rid day of sale would increase sales for that year's sub, but kill new interest in the line. I would be surprised to see a 2015 series if 2014 is sub only.
    Last edited by No-Ah; April 3, 2013 at 11:05am.

It is as Scott Metzger said, MOTUC is the flagship line of Mattycollector. If it goes, I bet the whole website will as well. I don't think Mattel is ready to throw in the towel just yet. Even if the minimum is not met for a 2014 sub, I bet it is somehow scaled back (with less figures) and still moves forward in some capacity. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mattel needs to figure out someway to get the classic 8 characters available for sale. I think the best way to do this is via a 2.0 version. Refusing to look at that is a HUGE mistake. It was one of the reasons the vintage line died. This all or none thinking by Mattel isn't good for the line. I know they keep saying the demand isn't there, well create that demand. You do it through a 2.0 version of the character with extra stuff that wasn't released before with the character that fans might want and they will rebuy the character.

BTW - Does anyone know why the .org has not posted the April 1st Q&A? Are they not participating anymore?
    Last edited by csc0709; April 3, 2013 at 11:14am.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. Doing away with day of sales will likely increase subscription purchases because resellers will see $$$ signs with figures such as Fang Man and Seahawk going for 3x cost on the secondary market. I think going that route will also force some people on the fence to subscribe because they won't want to pay the high ebay prices for the figures they would miss out on.

There's no guarantee that the figures will sell on the second market and that's what Mattel want,they get their money and you get stuck with figures that won't sell,Star Sisters and Icarius,to name but two,the obscure figures are still kind of controversial and the awful 30th line figures(exc. Draego Man).
    If it wasn't for a thread on the org and other fan sites urging fans to take up 2,3,5 and in some cases 10 subs then the line would have died last year,whether Mattel would have gone through with the threat is for them to answer,but most of the heavy hitters are gone and i seriously doubt that the numbers will be there this year seeing as Ram Man is gone,Mattel are doing a Filmation sub and offering the Castle b/c they likely know that the 2014 sub numbers will be down.
    Lest we forget that most off the people who dropped off from the sub was due to other reasons as well,QC,DR,Shipping costs and in some cases too much PoP or NA or for just not wanting to be tied into paying over $100 for FFM (inc. shipping).
    As the line starts winding down on vintage and heavy hitting figures the DoS numbers will become more important to keeping the line going.
    I've always maintained and still do that the subs and the DoS are both important to keeping the line going.
    Maybe some people who have subs should look away from their moral high ground thinking they are keeping this line going,thats what Mattel,a business,want you to think so they can lock you into a sub that you don't know what your getting or what it will cost annually.I too want this line to continue but i'm not a mug and i won't be held to ransom by a company that can't get it's house in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I don't necessarily think that doing away with day of sales will increase subscribers, but cause more to walk away from the line. I used to buy extras on sale days except for variants. Since Mattel stated that some figures wouldn't be available for days of sale, then I stopped buying my extras on sale days. Mattel seems to forget that they just aren't denying sales to non-subbers, but they are denying the chance for subscribers to buy more than their subscriptions. And I for one, would rather walk away from the second collection rather than add another sub and get some extra figures that I don't want.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I don't necessarily think that doing away with day of sales will increase subscribers, but cause more to walk away from the line. I used to buy extras on sale days except for variants. Since Mattel stated that some figures wouldn't be available for days of sale, then I stopped buying my extras on sale days. Mattel seems to forget that they just aren't denying sales to non-subbers, but they are denying the chance for subscribers to buy more than their subscriptions. And I for one, would rather walk away from the second collection rather than add another sub and get some extra figures that I don't want.
    For me too...Prior to me subscribing, I would purchase two of every figure...and three if they had multiple display options...and now that I'm locked in, I only get the 1 subscription figure.

Why?

I don't have to be online on sale day, so I only really focus on MOTUC when I know a non-sub item will be going on sale. I'm locked into a subscription but just can't justify purchasing multiple subscriptions because I don't want to be locked in for that much money (especially with this economy).

I know that I'd have given Matty more money over the past few years if I wasn't in a subscription.