Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (4/1/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by he-man121 View Post
    There's no guarantee that the figures will sell on the second market and that's what Mattel want,they get their money and you get stuck with figures that won't sell..
    Yes, there is a chance this will happen, but with the secondary market on fire right now, that is a slim chance. I think as the line keeps going and more people decide not to sub, the secondary market will stay hot. More and more people are after only 1 or 2 figures and instead of subbing they are going secondary. At some point the line will be done, the market will cool and things will be slow to unload (if that is your goal). But, that happens to just about every toy line in history.

As the line starts winding down on vintage and heavy hitting figures the DoS numbers will become more important to keeping the line going.
    But, if as you say the line is winding down and people are walking away, why would they want to take the chance and produce extra's of figures that may sit around forever?

Maybe some people who have subs should look away from their moral high ground thinking they are keeping this line going, thats what Mattel, a business, want you to think so they can lock you into a sub that you don't know what your getting or what it will cost annually.
    Like it or not, the subbers ARE what keeps the line going. The guy who picks up the occasional figure a few times a year is not what keeps the machines cranking out new figures. They tell me up front how many figures I am buying and what the cost is, so that is not a mystery. Shipping is definitely the wild card though. And yes, I see no reason why they can't announce the full year of figures at the time of the sub, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I don't necessarily think that doing away with day of sales will increase subscribers, but cause more to walk away from the line. I used to buy extras on sale days except for variants. Since Mattel stated that some figures wouldn't be available for days of sale, then I stopped buying my extras on sale days. Mattel seems to forget that they just aren't denying sales to non-subbers, but they are denying the chance for subscribers to buy more than their subscriptions. And I for one, would rather walk away from the second collection rather than add another sub and get some extra figures that I don't want.
    Current sub items really should be included for Early Access. Then if they sell out, non appear for DOS. I too, would like to pick up extras of certain figures (Scorpia and Madame Razz to name just 2). I don't understand why 2013 sub items aren't included in Early Access to be honest!

But having no DOS at all on some 2013 sub items is punishing subscribers too, perhaps more so since cherry pickers can take a hit on their wallet for 1 or 2 figures at secondary market prices. Subscribers looking for extras are likely to STILL buy more than the average cherry picker at DOS!

So Early Access in 2014 should include that years sub items as well so subbers can buy extras (especially if it is indeed an all-star line up as what's been promised)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Yes, there is a chance this will happen, but with the secondary market on fire right now, that is a slim chance. I think as the line keeps going and more people decide not to sub, the secondary market will stay hot. More and more people are after only 1 or 2 figures and instead of subbing they are going secondary.
    The problem is the figures that 'sell' are the figures everyone wants like Ram Man, Fang Man and later this year, Mantenna. You are left with duds like Karatti and Fighting Foe Men. I still hope for the sake of 2014, the FFM get NO DOS stock. Otherwise resellers are gonna be stuck with them and buy less subs in 2014 due to any loss they take on them.

I still really hope there are only single figures in 2014 and no multi packs or beasts in the sub at all!
    Last edited by blackiecats; April 3, 2013 at 02:28pm.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    The problem is the figures that 'sell' are the figures everyone wants like Ram Man, Fang Man and later this year, Mantenna. You are left with duds like Karatti and Fighting Foe Men. I still hope for the sake of 2014, the FFM get NO DOS stock. Otherwise resellers are gonna be stuck with them and buy less subs in 2014 due to any loss they take on them.
    Ironically, people complained about Fang Man looking too cartoony until he was pulled from DOS. Strobo was another character who wasn't big until he sold out in minutes in March. People threatened to quit the line over Strobo of all characters. I still can't get over that...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Ironically, people complained about Fang Man looking too cartoony until he was pulled from DOS. Strobo was another character who wasn't big until he sold out in minutes in March. People threatened to quit the line over Strobo of all characters. I still can't get over that...

I still think it's the zodak head more than anything but still.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    And even more ridiculous is that the figure will be available multiple times throughout the year?

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    And even more ridiculous is that the figure will be available multiple times throughout the year?
    Personally, Strobo was a surprise hit for me. When he was first revealed, I was like, yeah the ONLY reason to get him is for the Zodak head. But having him in hand, I can honestly say, Strobo is one of the better figures they've done in this line. Maybe because he was so simple.
    Randor: He-Man! You can FLY!
    He-Man: ... No...

Quote Originally Posted by thegrandchawhee View Post
    Personally, Strobo was a surprise hit for me. When he was first revealed, I was like, yeah the ONLY reason to get him is for the Zodak head. But having him in hand, I can honestly say, Strobo is one of the better figures they've done in this line. Maybe because he was so simple.
    I don't care he's in the line, but personally, I just can't get myself to like him....I almost wish I didn't buy him....but I'll give him more time....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    ....I just can't get myself to like him....I almost wish I didn't buy him....
    Dude, you could sell him in 5 seconds to anybody on this board if you wanted to. I don't mean to sound like a jerk...I'm just saying that if you decide you don't like ol' STROBY and you want to get rid of him, it would be easy peasy!

Always Expect the Unexpected!

I still really hope there are only single figures in 2014 and no multi packs or beasts in the sub at all!
    Actually, you have seen the prices of King He-Man, Ram Man, Jitsu & Shokoti on BBTS? They compensate for the potential losses by charging more for the figures that would sell out, like selling Shadow Weaver for $60, then for $75....you know they made most if not all their money up with the ones that sold fast, that is why they do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Dude, you could sell him in 5 seconds to anybody on this board if you wanted to. I don't mean to sound like a jerk...I'm just saying that if you decide you don't like ol' STROBY and you want to get rid of him, it would be easy peasy!

I know, I am just hoping he grows on me....some I didn't buy grew on me through reviews and pics, that I ended up scooping them up later like Griffin in January, and I am going to try to get Mosquitor this month....I am still a little off on his head, but the rest of the figure makes up for it. But sometimes I buy a figure liking it somewhat, only to get it and be like....eh....why did I do that?

I bought a lot of figures as an after thought, and ended up loving them, like Catra & Griffin.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I still hope for the sake of 2014, the FFM get NO DOS stock. Otherwise resellers are gonna be stuck with them and buy less subs in 2014 due to any loss they take on them.
    I'm hoping for that too. No DOS stock would be the only silver lining for that pack of duds. I would like to, at least, make my money back when I try to get rid of them. Unfortunately I fear that the FFM will be on the sale in May. Scott and Mattel love to push figures no one asked for while making demanded figures nearly impossible to get.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PPC View Post
    I'm hoping for that too. No DOS stock would be the only silver lining for that pack of duds. I would like to, at least, make my money back when I try to get rid of them. Unfortunately I fear that the FFM will be on the sale in May. Scott and Mattel love to push figures no one asked for while making demanded figures nearly impossible to get.
    The idea for making the model pilots came from fans, not Mattel. A lot of people asked if they were possible, and were glad they were. If you don't like them, that's fine, but there are folks who DID ask for them.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Folks ask for a lot of things. 100 or so people on a forum is not enough to represent the full MOTUC fan base. With characters like Ram Man, Mantenna, Castaspella etc... they were exposed to millions of folks through the cartoons and vintage toys. I bet at least half the MOTUC buyers have no idea who the FFM are!

PPC, let's keep our fingers crossed Matty does right by the subbers who don't want to be stuck with them

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, you have seen the prices of King He-Man, Ram Man, Jitsu & Shokoti on BBTS? They compensate for the potential losses by charging more for the figures that would sell out, like selling Shadow Weaver for $60, then for $75....you know they made most if not all their money up with the ones that sold fast, that is why they do that.
    BBTS aren't the only resellers. Besides if your stuck with a $75 + shipping item, that $75 eats into your profits. Resellers aren't selling these just to break even To keep them interested they need to make an healthy profit.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

But sometimes I buy a figure liking it somewhat, only to get it and be like....eh....why did I do that?
    I can relate, but it's been a while. Back in the day, I bought tons and tons of MARVEL Comics characters...mainly because they were cheaper and very easy to get. This was long before Scalpers existed. Anyway, KB Toys was always having Buy 2 Get 1 Free sales, so I bought a lot of stuff that I barely cared about.

But with MOTU, they are just too darned $alty for me to buy anything other than what I absolutely have to have.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    The big irony there is that, even with the higher prices on the figures, I'm still coming out about even compared to my Matty days because the pile of loot saves so much on shipping at Big Bad, and Matty's shipping has gotten exhorbitant. The sub exclusive puts it off balance a bit, but still better than e-bay or, worse, dealing with Digital River.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The idea for making the model pilots came from fans, not Mattel. A lot of people asked if they were possible, and were glad they were. If you don't like them, that's fine, but there are folks who DID ask for them.
    That is not true. We've been through this before and I could find only around 8 people that said they would want them prior to them being announced. Please show me where all this demand was. Also keep in mind that a "fan" is not necessarily a sub holder. Anyone on these or any other message board can say they would be cool but unless they're sub holders it doesn't mean squat.
    Last edited by eCollector; April 6, 2013 at 11:49am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    That is not true. We've been through this before and I could find only around 8 people that said they would want them prior to them being announced. Please show me where all this demand was. Also keep in mind that a "fan" is not necessarily a sub holder. Anyone on these or any other message board can say they would be cool but unless they're sub holders it doesn't mean squat.
    The 11 people in this thread always wanted the vehicle pilots, but there were other mentions of them besides the .org, occasionally in the Q&As.

11 fans on the .org aren't enough to get a figure made. We don't have that much power.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; April 6, 2013 at 02:27pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

The 11 people in this thread always wanted the vehicle pilots, but there were other mentions of them besides the .org, occasionally in the Q&As.

11 fans on the .org aren't enough to get a figure made. We don't have that much power.
    Make that 12
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    We don't have that much power.
    Speak for yourself. I got plenty of power.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

No but the brand manager does,and it seems thats all that matters these days.

Yeah, how dare he make figures that he-man121 doesn't want! Oh, that cad!

No but the brand manager does,and it seems thats all that matters these days.
    I think fans have come out all right in terms of Fan demanded characters (he-ro, Shadow weaver, shakoti Queen Marlana etc)

This myth that only Scott wants them (or even knew about them before fans mentioned them) strikes me as just silly. If anything, I'd say it's far more likely that the 4H wanted them. I think fans have been intrigued by them for quite a while. There are other threads about the models in general, and there is fan art and customs too. ::shrug::

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by eCollector View Post
    Honestly, I had the Talon Fighter model... and have zero recollection of the drivers. Like... ZERO.

HOWEVER, if 11 people wanted them made... then I feel BETTER about those kind of characters, then the VIkors, Vykrons, and Demomen.... the characters that ONLY the brand Manager knew about and were not demanded by ANYONE...

Vikor and Demo Man are very well received. Those aren't figures that only Scott likes.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This myth that only Scott wants them (or even knew about them before fans mentioned them) strikes me as just silly. If anything, I'd say it's far more likely that the 4H wanted them. I think fans have been intrigued by them for quite a while. There are other threads about the models in general, and there is fan art and customs too. ::shrug::
    I agree! These "characters" are not obscure concept or prototype figures that were pulled from the "vault" and nobody knew about, these guys were on packaging and available for all to see. They might only be images with not character background but they have been part of MOTU since the models were released. I had forgotten about them until I stumbled up on a thread about them but as soon as I saw the illustrations I remembered them and remembered wanting them as a kid. I know my opinion does not matter as much as other's who constantly post their opposition to these guys or other figures, but I'm glad to be getting them and think they are a great addition to the line. They are the kind of characters that should be included in this line, I love the vintage figures and want them all, but the most exciting thing about this line are the figures of characters I always wanted but never got; mini-comic, Filmation, and package art are great additions to the line. I also really enjoy seeing figures that were concepts or planned at some point but never released! It adds a great sort of history to this line!!!

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm all in and will happily buy everything produced for this line!!!