Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 219

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (4/1/2013)

  1. #151
    #1 Extendar Fan! JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,723
    People want different things out of the line. It'd be nice if everyone just was happy that all kinds of people are getting all kinds of different things, though I know people are nervous about the line ending without figure Y when we got figure X instead. Until the line is sub only, people always have the option of not buying them all.

    And I agree just because it has the word Classics in it doesn't mean anything. Mattel sets what this is going to be, and very clearly from the start (at least after the initial few figures sold well and they started the sub) they've been very clear that Classics is vintage MOTU, NA, POP, concept, and so on. And then they started expanding it. The figures that exist in the line are all the evidence we need. I appreciate that not everyone WANTS this, but it is what they are. And that is certainly a different thing. I feel like to say otherwise is just to deny the reality of what they are actually making! I think it's a good move to redouble back on the vintage lines for 2014 and 2105, though. It'd be cool to get some more expanded universe characters after that though. If they look cool I'd buy them.

  2. #152
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    No, it means they are based on the classic style, inspired by the sculpts of the vintage motu toyline. And if they never had a motu figure in the 80s, they will be made to look as they might have back then. That is what this line is about and has been since day 1.

    Honestly, people need to get over it. Just like this star sisters nonsense that's come up again recently. I mean, really? If you don't like them, sell them. If you can't sell them, you're not selling them cheap enough. Cut your losses and move on.
    QFT!

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Now this is what I'm talking about! Continuing He-Man and Skeletor's adventures as if they had never went away in 1987. G.I. Joe and Transformers can have new adventures, new concepts, new places and new characters--why not MOTU?
    Really MOTU only took a small hiatus in 1987. While many people will outright refuse to accept New Adventures as a continuation of the Master's adventures, it is what happened.

    Yes, it was a wild deviation from the MOTU we all knew and loved (both the animation style of the cartoons, and the look/scale/style/feel of the figures) and yes, it failed to really grab hold of the MOTU fandom when it was released, but the fact remains, He-Man traveled to Primus to help defend it from the mutants who threatened to destroy/usurp power from the planet.

    One thing I like about the Classics line so far is how they are incorporating this part of He-Man's history in with the rest of the series. Personally, I love it, and the 4h have proven they have what it takes to infuse NA design into Vintage style.

    Now, the next chapter in the saga must be explored: Dare, son of He-Man and the new He-Ro of MOTU!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  3. #153
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    QFT!



    Really MOTU only took a small hiatus in 1987. While many people will outright refuse to accept New Adventures as a continuation of the Master's adventures, it is what happened.

    Yes, it was a wild deviation from the MOTU we all knew and loved (both the animation style of the cartoons, and the look/scale/style/feel of the figures) and yes, it failed to really grab hold of the MOTU fandom when it was released, but the fact remains, He-Man traveled to Primus to help defend it from the mutants who threatened to destroy/usurp power from the planet.

    One thing I like about the Classics line so far is how they are incorporating this part of He-Man's history in with the rest of the series. Personally, I love it, and the 4h have proven they have what it takes to infuse NA design into Vintage style.

    Now, the next chapter in the saga must be explored: Dare, son of He-Man and the new He-Ro of MOTU!
    You know, I got the big anniversary DVD set last December and I watched every single episode of the original show and the 200X show. I'd actually never seen the 200X show before then! But in the middle, I tried to watch the New Adventures. It didn't look like He-Man. He didn't talk like He-Man. It was all badly translated into English. It was, IMO a horrible show. I only forced myself to watch the first 2-3 episodes.

    So, no, that wasn't He-Man as far as I'm concerned. I can accept that something similar might have happened to He-Man, which is chronicled in the figures, but that wasn't the same show or the same characters. That was a weird Asian re-imagining....

  4. #154
    Heroic Warrior jzachery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,229
    I've only dabbled in NA. I take it as proper canon to a point.
    I love the premise. I love most of the characters. I hated the execution. But, just like the red headed step child, no matter how ya try to spin it, it exists.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

  5. #155
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,504
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    No, this is Masters of the Universe Classics. Meaning they are based on the classic toys and cartoons.

    When I said vintage, that included Filmation characters Didn't you see my signature below my post?

    Newly created characters that did not appear pre-2002 (yes I class FFM as newly created) not so much 'Classics'.
    Problem with this position is that it has no basis in anything Mattel has ever said about the line. Mattel has said the exact OPPOSITE, in fact, from the day the line was announced. Classics encompasses EVERYTHING MOTU related, be it concept characters, unproduced prototypes, model pilots, etc. It would have been hard for Mattel to make it any more clear what their intent was from day one. Some folks, though, are still substituting their vision of what they WANT the line to be for what Mattel has told us it would be. Mattel has made myriad mistakes, as we all know, and sometimes the approach has been a misfire. Making things like the Sisters and the FFM expensive three packs was, in hindsight, one of those errors. But making them at all was not. The line was doing fine, thriving, in fact, with figures like Vykor and other concept figures, as well as NA and 2002 characters, thrown into the mix. Had the Sisters and FFM been released as single figures, we likely wouldn't have seen the backlash from as many fans or from e-tailers.

    Point is, while the next couple years may be devoted mostly to the vintage eras, that was never what Mattel intended the line to be. It was sold as an all encompassing array of figures, beasts and whatever else they could get out. Mattel made that clear as crystal from day one, and the line succeeded and grew under that vision. Had it not been for other disastrous mistakes from Mattel and DR, it would likely still be doing so.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  6. #156
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,259
    Classics was almost exclusively vintage MOTU for the first year and that's what got this line off the ground. It is the absolute cornerstone of it's foundation and the only reason Mattel has been able to delve so deeply into POP, NA, 200X, and Filmation.

    There are many reasons why the line has lost customers over the last 2-3 years, but Mattel is refocusing in 2014 in part because they have extended themselves to characters that a lot of people don't want to pay for.

  7. #157
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Really MOTU only took a small hiatus in 1987. While many people will outright refuse to accept New Adventures as a continuation of the Master's adventures, it is what happened.

    Yes, it was a wild deviation from the MOTU we all knew and loved (both the animation style of the cartoons, and the look/scale/style/feel of the figures) and yes, it failed to really grab hold of the MOTU fandom when it was released, but the fact remains, He-Man traveled to Primus to help defend it from the mutants who threatened to destroy/usurp power from the planet.

    One thing I like about the Classics line so far is how they are incorporating this part of He-Man's history in with the rest of the series. Personally, I love it, and the 4h have proven they have what it takes to infuse NA design into Vintage style.

    Now, the next chapter in the saga must be explored: Dare, son of He-Man and the new He-Ro of MOTU!
    NA did happen, but I'm talking about He-Man and Skeletor's regular or default adventures continuing as if they never stopped. Not gimmicks such as Preternia, Tri-Solar System and Son of He-Man, but the regular modern day adventures continuing.

    He-Man trying to stop Hordak/Skeletor/King Hsss from taking over Grayskull.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  8. #158
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,243
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think a lot of MOTU fans are so fearful of Mattel killen teh lien because they want to finish their old collections before the line dies, that's why there is such a fear of new things taking old character's slots. Each non-80's figure is an 80's character that is held back. Mattel and Digital River's constant screw-ups reinforce those fears. It's a far cry from TF fans going crazy if Brawn, Gears and Huffer aren't released in Generations -- TF fans know that the Transformers brand is thriving and isn't going anywhere, so they can aford to be alot more patient.
    Now that makes a lot of sense, Max, so thanks. The only problem with the attitude that I can see, however, is that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when fans stop buying the line. Why is it that we may not have a 2014 line? It's because fans didn't buy in, the same fans that are afraid they'll never get their favorite character.

    Obviously, the blame also needs to be laid squarely at Matty's doorstep for Digital River, poor QC, and so on. I wonder if more people would be more receptive to the new characters if these problems would go away. They seem to be abating a bit. There's also the price hike, which Matty can't do much about until the price of oil comes down.

    I'm more than sympathetic to those who cannot afford the figures. I also don't think anyone should be forced to buy a figure they really do not want. But no one is being forced. You can choose not to buy the sub, realizing of course that you may have to pay more for the characters you do want. I guess it's just my completist mentality that makes me so perplexed when new concepts are introduced.

    It'll be interesting to see what happens if Mattel does, in fact, abandon all DOS for 2014.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  9. #159
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Classics was almost exclusively vintage MOTU for the first year and that's what got this line off the ground. It is the absolute cornerstone of it's foundation and the only reason Mattel has been able to delve so deeply into POP, NA, 200X, and Filmation.

    There are many reasons why the line has lost customers over the last 2-3 years, but Mattel is refocusing in 2014 in part because they have extended themselves to characters that a lot of people don't want to pay for.
    And, again, as they expanded into non-vintage figures, the line grew even more. Yes, the classic characters are the ones folks remember and are going to be the bedrock of the line; no ones ever said any different. But until we got into the $60 three packs, the concept characters were selling out right along with the vintage, and some of the non-MOTU proper characters like Bow actually sold quicker than their purely MOTU brethren. It ALL sold out, with a few exceptions (one of them being a vintage MOTU character in Hurricane Hordak). The line had room for it all. The balking only started when the three packs with a big price tag came into play, and the line as whole started running out of steam from all the problems plaguing it. With the line in trouble and doubts about how long it's going to run, most folks are asking for the focus to be on finishing the old ranks first, which is reasonable. But the only figures that have gotten a major blowback this year on their own merits are the FFM, and a lot of that because of the price tag. I haven't seen folks raising pitchforks and torches at Karatti or even Geldor thus far.

    Folks looking at the line ending want a refocus to get the main teams done; claiming that it's because Mattel can't sell anything else right now is overstating the situation.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  10. #160
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Really??? Because I'm pretty sure it's just the title of the line much like DC Universe Classics, Green Lantern Classics, or Marvel Legends. Funny the very 1st figure in the line was King Grayskull hardly a classic character?
    King Grayskull appeared in the 2002 cartoon, so even though only 6 years later, he still is technically a 'classic' character. Classics to me means a celebration of past He-Man and She-Ra characters. Well that's how I understood the term personally (whether or not it was it's true intention)

    At the end of the day, this line survives due to the vintage fans supporting it. Making an expensive multi pack of obscure characters definately wasn't the best idea Mattel came up with. I don't care what excuses the fans who buy everything make, it was the FFM who killed sub sales last year.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Is it any wonder they got made? I mean, Really?
    Do these people equate to a couple hundred individuals or just a dozen or so vocal people? (just like with Demo-Man and Battleground Teela...)

    Odd since I never saw the FFM in any top 10 most wanted characters threads...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Point is, while the next couple years may be devoted mostly to the vintage eras, that was never what Mattel intended the line to be. It was sold as an all encompassing array of figures, beasts and whatever else they could get out. Mattel made that clear as crystal from day one, and the line succeeded and grew under that vision. Had it not been for other disastrous mistakes from Mattel and DR, it would likely still be doing so.
    Then why are the concentrating on the vintage lines in 2014 and 2015, if concept are so popular? DR mess ups have nothing to do with character selection. Subs were down and the expensive $75 3-pack was the main culprit. Had the 3-pack been the Rock Warriors (Granita included) there would have been much less complaints. While $75 is expensive to pay all at once, no matter what the character, more demanded characters in the slot would have made the price easier to swallow.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

  11. #161
    #1 Extendar Fan! JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,723
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Then why are the concentrating on the vintage lines in 2014 and 2015, if concept are so popular? DR mess ups have nothing to do with character selection. Subs were down and the expensive $75 3-pack was the main culprit. Had the 3-pack been the Rock Warriors (Granita included) there would have been much less complaints. While $75 is expensive to pay all at once, no matter what the character, more demanded characters in the slot would have made the price easier to swallow.
    I don't think anyone was talking about whether the concept was popular. It just seemed you were saying Classics was something other than what it actually is and was intended to be, an all-encompassing line.

  12. #162
    Ravage ThunderCat blackiecats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I don't think anyone was talking about whether the concept was popular. It just seemed you were saying Classics was something other than what it actually is and was intended to be, an all-encompassing line.
    Classics is whatever Mattel wants it to be. I'm simply pointing out what most fans want it to be.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

  13. #163
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Posts
    1,753
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    NA did happen, but I'm talking about He-Man and Skeletor's regular or default adventures continuing as if they never stopped. Not gimmicks such as Preternia, Tri-Solar System and Son of He-Man, but the regular modern day adventures continuing.

    He-Man trying to stop Hordak/Skeletor/King Hsss from taking over Grayskull.
    Ahhh, I see; kind of like the "untold" stories of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Everything that was going on between the glimpses we got to see in the mini-comics, cartoon, magazines, etc...

    A way to 'keep the adventures going' and show us what happened to get us to the point where the next big chronicled event happened, i.e. New Adventures.

    Cool, I am totally down for that! One can never have too much original He-Man vs. Skeletor!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  14. #164
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,387
    International fans getting priced out was also big reason that subs were down.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  15. #165
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    International fans getting priced out was also big reason that subs were down.
    The 5 people who hate the FFM will cover their ears and not accept that, even though it's the truth (and just wait until this summer when even more drop out--you know, even with all the vintage 'heavy hitters' they'll be unveiling).

    As for how the FFM affected subs...
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...cribe-for-2013

    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    At the end of the day, this line survives due to the vintage fans supporting it.
    I'm a vintage fan first and foremost, but I like other things.
    Just like you are wrong in your definition of classics, you are wrong when attempting to speak for everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Really MOTU only took a small hiatus in 1987. While many people will outright refuse to accept New Adventures as a continuation of the Master's adventures, it is what happened.

    Yes, it was a wild deviation from the MOTU we all knew and loved (both the animation style of the cartoons, and the look/scale/style/feel of the figures) and yes, it failed to really grab hold of the MOTU fandom when it was released, but the fact remains, He-Man traveled to Primus to help defend it from the mutants who threatened to destroy/usurp power from the planet.

    One thing I like about the Classics line so far is how they are incorporating this part of He-Man's history in with the rest of the series. Personally, I love it, and the 4h have proven they have what it takes to infuse NA design into Vintage style.

    Now, the next chapter in the saga must be explored: Dare, son of He-Man and the new He-Ro of MOTU!
    Yes. This line has given us the most comprehensive canon for a saga that encompasses Preternia right through to the Son of He-Man era. If people want this weird, eternal, nothing-ever-changes comic book battle b/w He-Man and Skeletor, it's not like it's gone anywhere. Those two will always be the face of the franchise. But motuc has only enriched the entire franchise by telling the history of the entire conflict, past, present, and future, and given us cool new characters to put on our shelves.

  16. #166
    Heroic Warrior hauke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I've frequented Transformers boards for years, and even used to collect them myself, but I have never seen such an unwillingness to embrace new things than with MOTU fans. Is it just me?
    To be fair Beast Wars (Truck not Monkey!!!!!) had a hard time establishing itself with the fans as well. Beast Machines even more. But eventually Transformers fans just got used to having a new continuity every couple of years. But even the new designs from the movies divided the fandom. You find extreme opinions in every fandom.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

    Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

    My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

  17. #167
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    How the heck is that a scare tactic?!?! It is just a hard fact. If not enough people sub (which is what this line is built on now) than it goes away. Simple as that. EVERY toy line dies at some point due to lack of interest. This one is also not going to last forever and now that we have blown through the majority of vintage figures 2014 is gonna be a hard sell.
    TG said the line will end if we don't hit the number. Last year when we were in jeopardy, he started rolling out other plans like fewer skus, etc. IF the numbers are low and TG starts talking about other plans for fewer skus, then this was a scare tactic. But if it's true and the line ends period, then it's the truth.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Do you really think that if the 2013 sub barely made it that they would have offered a Filmation sub on top of it?
    Think about it...You're a bread salesman and you just barely sold enough loaves of wheat bread to make it worthwhile. Now, part way through the year, knowing that just barely enough people are buying your wheat bread, do you now offer whole grain wheat bread? You'd be crazy to assume enough people are going to buy it.

    So my point is, that I feel it is highly doubtful that 2013 barely made it. And again, Toy Guru publicly stated just months before that MOTUC could lose HALF its subscribers and still be fine. So, to think that 2014 won't go through is kind of like worrying you won't get rain in Chicago this year.
    2013 barely made it when low figures suit Mattel's plans. But 2013 killed it when it suits Mattel's other plans. I don't know why people put any stock in the words coming from Mattel and TG, unless they are hard and fast objective numbers that can be proven.

    I don't remember the exact number, but I think we were at 92% with less than 12 hours to go last year, and then we wind up at 135%, when the number had been barely creeping up for a solid week? Whatever. In my opinion, the words will be flying fast and loose with the 2014 sub just as it was last year. People need to do what is best for them, and not make decisions based on whatever it is that TG is saying at the moment. It's starting already.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    And they offered the only remedy available at the time a refund or keeping the Sorceress figure since the customer service stock was exhausted. It's not the 1st time the wrong figure came in the wrong mailer, in life there will always occasional errors as hmans are not perfect. I imagine if this error was so unacceptable a buyer would either decide not to subscribe, quit the line, deal with the error and move on, or whatever. Depends on the individual and how offended they felt the error affected them? I personally have had a couple of hiccups with Mattycollector, they've taken care of them to the best of their ability and I've continued to happily collect.
    Mattel was legally, contracturally, and ethically obligated to deliver Fisto to every subber. They should have bought Fisto on the secondary market themselves and shipped them out, especially if the number of goofs was low. I don't know why customers are expected to stand by their word when Mattel, the multi-billion dollar company with vast resources can flake out whenever they feel like it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. Doing away with day of sales will likely increase subscription purchases because resellers will see $$$ signs with figures such as Fang Man and Seahawk going for 3x cost on the secondary market. I think going that route will also force some people on the fence to subscribe because they won't want to pay the high ebay prices for the figures they would miss out on.
    That's debatable. We'll see what DOS'ers do if DOS goes away. I quit the line completely after TG threatened to kill DOS for figures in 2013 and I know others did too. And some of them don't come here anymore. I personally find this whole subject fascinating, so I keep coming back every couple of weeks to see what's up. But the fact that sub numbers have gone down each year, so to think people will cave in and sub up is not assured.

  18. #168
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    TG said the line will end if we don't hit the number. Last year when we were in jeopardy, he started rolling out other plans like fewer skus, etc. IF the numbers are low and TG starts talking about other plans for fewer skus, then this was a scare tactic. But if it's true and the line ends period, then it's the truth.

    - - - Updated - - -



    2013 barely made it when low figures suit Mattel's plans. But 2013 killed it when it suits Mattel's other plans. I don't know why people put any stock in the words coming from Mattel and TG, unless they are hard and fast objective numbers that can be proven.

    I don't remember the exact number, but I think we were at 92% with less than 12 hours to go last year, and then we wind up at 135%, when the number had been barely creeping up for a solid week? Whatever. In my opinion, the words will be flying fast and loose with the 2014 sub just as it was last year. People need to do what is best for them, and not make decisions based on whatever it is that TG is saying at the moment. It's starting already.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Mattel was legally, contracturally, and ethically obligated to deliver Fisto to every subber. They should have bought Fisto on the secondary market themselves and shipped them out, especially if the number of goofs was low. I don't know why customers are expected to stand by their word when Mattel, the multi-billion dollar company with vast resources can flake out whenever they feel like it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That's debatable. We'll see what DOS'ers do if DOS goes away. I quit the line completely after TG threatened to kill DOS for figures in 2013 and I know others did too. And some of them don't come here anymore. I personally find this whole subject fascinating, so I keep coming back every couple of weeks to see what's up. But the fact that sub numbers have gone down each year, so to think people will cave in and sub up is not assured.
    Everything you say may be true, but it's also the case that a lot of new people discovered the line last December with the Castle Grayskull pre-sale, and a bunch more will discover it when they see the Castle at SDCC. They are TWO MOTUC subs going simultaneously this fall. I'd say there's a decent chance that 2014 numbers could even be an improvement over 2013. Indeed, there may be two full subs for 2014. We'll see....

  19. #169
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by hauke View Post
    To be fair Beast Wars (Truck not Monkey!!!!!) had a hard time establishing itself with the fans as well. Beast Machines even more. But eventually Transformers fans just got used to having a new continuity every couple of years. But even the new designs from the movies divided the fandom. You find extreme opinions in every fandom.
    My friends were pretty hard core TF fans, and I was a mediocre one... I found that Beast Wars REALLY got accepted and even LOVED by them, after the 2nd season where they established it in the SAME continuity as the G1 guys... when primal and the maximals found the ark and they saw G1 optimus lying there... and then Ravage showed up.. and starscream... it suddenly got MUCh cooler... Beast machines just sucked though... personalities and storyline just went off the rails. I see THAT as the NA of the Beastwars line...

    Though frankly, TF continuity was always a mess... In the comic the dinobots are created to blend in with 'dinosaurs' in the ancient days....That makes sense!

    In the cartoon they're made by wheeljack because 'dinosaurs are cool'...

    So much for 'Robots in disguise'

  20. #170
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,427
    The "Classics" argument pops up every so often, whether referring to MOTUC or DCUC. It's just a name. If anything, in the case of MOTUC in refers to the basic style of vintage MOTU, not the characters. DC's Cyclotron was hardly a "classic". Neither is Toad a "legend" despite being in the very first wave of Marvel Legends. To expect "classics" to mean anything at this point is not logical.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  21. #171
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    The "Classics" argument pops up every so often, whether referring to MOTUC or DCUC. It's just a name. If anything, in the case of MOTUC in refers to the basic style of vintage MOTU, not the characters. DC's Cyclotron was hardly a "classic". Neither is Toad a "legend" despite being in the very first wave of Marvel Legends. To expect "classics" to mean anything at this point is not logical.
    I would actually dispute both of those... Cyclotron was based on a 30 year toy... that's pretty classic. And Toad was a member of the first brotherhood of evil mutants and has been around since the 60's... including showing up in the movie... that's PRETTY legendary...

    Legend does not mean COOL..... or Awesome....

    Now, the new blue beetle or Firestorm???? The blue Aquaman suit??? X-23 and Doop?? Yeah, they really stretched the definition of classic and legend there... >.<

  22. #172
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,387
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I would actually dispute both of those... Cyclotron was based on a 30 year toy... that's pretty classic. And Toad was a member of the first brotherhood of evil mutants and has been around since the 60's... including showing up in the movie... that's PRETTY legendary...

    Legend does not mean COOL..... or Awesome....

    Now, the new blue beetle or Firestorm???? The blue Aquaman suit??? X-23 and Doop?? Yeah, they really stretched the definition of classic and legend there... >.
    The blue Aquaman suit was around since 1987. While not a popular choice, it was an older choice.

    DCUC had the modern Sinestro and Robin costumes as variants in Wave 3. They would have had the modern Red Tornado in Wave ONE. Hell, Classics had Zodak out in the same year as Zodac.

    The whole "Classics" naming is just a name not to be taken literally. Some fans take that name to heart because they don't want any other eras in the line or they are afraid of the line ending before they can get their favorites.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  23. #173
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Legend does not mean COOL..... or Awesome....
    OK fine, but I would also say Classic or Legend doesn't simply mean old.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

    DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

    My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

  24. #174
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,053
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    In the cartoon they're made by wheeljack because 'dinosaurs are cool'...

    So much for 'Robots in disguise'
    Actually, they were made in the cartoon by Wheeljack and Ratchet (and later by Chip) to give the Autobots much needed muscle and air power (in the form of Swoop. The Coolness factor came naturally as dinosaurs are inherently cool. Except for Denver. He's not really cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I found that Beast Wars REALLY got accepted and even LOVED by them, after the 2nd season where they established it in the SAME continuity as the G1 guys... when primal and the maximals found the ark and they saw G1 optimus lying there... and then Ravage showed up.. and starscream... it suddenly got MUCh cooler...
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Beast machines just sucked though... personalities and storyline just went off the rails.
    Again, I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I see THAT as the NA of the Beastwars line...
    Well, I would say that, in my opinion, even the most horrible of Transformers continuity (G2, Beast Machines or something else) will still be infinitely better than NA.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  25. #175
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Classics was almost exclusively vintage MOTU for the first year and that's what got this line off the ground. It is the absolute cornerstone of it's foundation and the only reason Mattel has been able to delve so deeply into POP, NA, 200X, and Filmation.

    There are many reasons why the line has lost customers over the last 2-3 years, but Mattel is refocusing in 2014 in part because they have extended themselves to characters that a lot of people don't want to pay for.
    True, there are several reasons why this line goes dow, but announcing, that 2014 will be a heavy hitter year shows clearly, that Mattel knows that obscure stuff doesn't draw as much people as needed. The Fighting Foe Men or Vykron won't save the line, neither Blade or Gwildor will do it. Characters like Two Bad, Modulok and for PoP fans Glimmer will do it, if done properly.

    Even the vintage line has still many characters, which aren't on the list of everyone anymore, me included. The vintage line is my favorite, but I see other customers loosing interest in this line, even with some important characters missing. If Mattel want to keep customers and want to kerp this line going on, they better show fan demanded stuff at SDCC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •