Thread: Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

Hybrid View

Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

Just laughed my way through GI Joe Retaliation.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. And I saw the first Joe film!

Jon M. Chu is a hack of epic proportions.

Trust me, people, the He-Man movie is going to suck beyond belief with him at the helm.

I could go into detail, but I really don't care to relive the pain I just experienced.

Suffice to say, aside from my all time favorite character Firefly making an appearance, I can not think of one single redeeming thing about that POS.

We really need to start a petition to get this guy off the movie.

Trust me people, give up hope for a good Masters film if Chu is in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    Indeed. If he falls short with movie stars like the Rock & Willis together, he definetelly cannot start a MOTU movie franchise.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..on his audio commentary Michael Bay says he was getting death threats.
    (Chu is going to get a witch hunt.)

I liked it a lot, in my opinion is a 100% joe movie. of course the script is not great but that is not a result of Jon Chu. He directed the movie and did brilliantly well, shoots very dynamically, good cuts,ninja scene is one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.in fact critics who did not like the film praised the work of Jon Chu.
    I have high hopes for motu with him but the basics will be have a good script.

the movie is working very well at the box office, now March / April might be a good date for Masters of the Universe movie,
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I liked it a lot, in my opinion is a 100% joe movie. of course the script is not great but that is not a result of Jon Chu. He directed the movie and did brilliantly well, shoots very dynamically, good cuts,ninja scene is one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.in fact critics who did not like the film praised the work of Jon Chu.
    I have high hopes for motu with him but the basics will be have a good script.

the movie is working very well at the box office, now March / April might be a good date for Masters of the Universe movie,
    Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.

One could teach a course on bad film making by analyzing GI Joe: Retaliation.

The script is horrible. And the direction was not any better. Chu is the director and oversees everything. Set designs. Casting. Shot selection. Lenses used. Performances. Choreography. CGI. Just to name a few. And these were all atrocious.

This film is so bad it feels like a parody. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that they purposefully set out to make a comedy.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, because reliving that stinking pile of %^&# in my mind is bad for my health.

Let's start with the music.

Horrible. Overuse of guitars and 3rd rate rock n roll songs which call attention to themselves, rather than adding layers to the film. Not one memorable melody or theme. Might as well have scored the film with the noise of a blender on puree. I busted out laughing when the rock song started playing as Bruce Willis was busting out all his weapons.

Think I'll complain about the acting, or lack thereof, next.

Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.
    Haven't seen beastmaster, but thank GOD this movie isn't citizen Kane or the Godfather. Its not supposed to be!! I am seeing it tonight and won't defend or bash it until afterwards, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people say it's ain't (fill in the blank) either as a criticism or a defense. Art IS subjective but it should be held up against it's peers when critiquing. I won't look at the sculpts of the new TMNT figures and say they suck because they aren't Michelangelo's David!! I won't defend Norm Breyfogle's art by saying It's not supposed to be DaVinci!!

I'm not attacking your opinion on the film, just reacting against that pet peeve of mine.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake;3238631[b
    Not to get personal, but[/b] I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.

One could teach a course on bad film making by analyzing GI Joe: Retaliation.

The script is horrible. And the direction was not any better. Chu is the director and oversees everything. Set designs. Casting. Shot selection. Lenses used. Performances. Choreography. CGI. Just to name a few. And these were all atrocious.

This film is so bad it feels like a parody. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that they purposefully set out to make a comedy.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, because reliving that stinking pile of %^&# in my mind is bad for my health.

Let's start with the music.

Horrible. Overuse of guitars and 3rd rate rock n roll songs which call attention to themselves, rather than adding layers to the film. Not one memorable melody or theme. Might as well have scored the film with the noise of a blender on puree. I busted out laughing when the rock song started playing as Bruce Willis was busting out all his weapons.

Think I'll complain about the acting, or lack thereof, next.

I don't mean to offend, but.... I don't mean to be racist/sexist, but.... j/k

Yeah, it does look like you're wanting to make it somewhat personal. You do pretty much roll off that into quizzing the guy about his film tastes. Maybe we can try and not get into the film snob territory and let others enjoy the movie?

There does seem to be quite a few people who like the movie going by the reception it's getting, that doesn't mean you have to like, but you not liking it doesn't mean you can 'teach' people it's a bad movie. Accept it's your opinion and let some people enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

As pointed of Godfather and Citizen Kane this film (and the future masters film) are not even in the same family of movie. its like saying Coke Zero is no 100 year scotch. to compare is unfair,

I spent my college years working on a late night talk show, talked to a lot of filmmakers , you think directors apart from your select few (Spielberg.. Nolan.. etc ) have that much say in a movie, i can tell you that is not the case AT ALL!!! and to be honest when dealing with licensed property that is not always a bad thing like people may think, look at Spider-man 3 sam raimi had the most creative control on that then the other two (despite popular belief ) but it was his elements of sandman and emo spidey, look at marvels studios handling of multiple directors and casts,

i like GIJR for what it was, for me it delivered what it promised and i appreciated that.

Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't.
    Is that how you determine whether or not a film is garbage? If it’s as good as Citizen Kane and the Godfather? I bet that works out well.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Just laughed my way through GI Joe Retaliation.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. And I saw the first Joe film!

Jon M. Chu is a hack of epic proportions.

Trust me, people, the He-Man movie is going to suck beyond belief with this fool at the helm.

I could go into detail, but I really don't care to relive the pain I just experienced.

Suffice to say, aside from my all time favorite character Firefly making an appearance, I can not think of one single redeeming thing about that POS.

We really need to start a petition to get this guy off the movie.

I think you've forgotten how bad Michael Bay is...
    • Skids and Mudflap
    • Jazz's "What up *****es?"
    • Bumblebee whizzing on Simmons
    • Wheelie humping Megan Fox's leg
    • Simmon's underwear jokes
    • Ken Jeong's Deep Wang
    • Homicidal and Murderous Optimus Prime
    • Devastator's balls

Retailiation wasn't a perfect movie, but it was nowhere near Michael Bay bad.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think you've forgotten how bad Michael Bay is...
    • Skids and Mudflap
    • Jazz's "What up *****es?"
    • Bumblebee whizzing on Simmons
    • Wheelie humping Megan Fox's leg
    • Simmon's underwear jokes
    • Ken Jeong's Deep Wang
    • Homicidal and Murderous Optimus Prime
    • Devastator's balls

Retailiation wasn't a perfect movie, but it was nowhere near Michael Bay bad.
    Gotta agree with you here... at least Chu showed some respect towards the franchise and the actors, AND the audience...

Bay just made fools of everyone... actors, characters and fans...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Wow people are ragging on the RZA, obviously no one knows anything about the Wu tang clan. I thought the movie was fine. There were allot of weirdo moments and plot related problems but it was a hard plot to pull off.
    Really it was a awesome movie with how hard Hasbro and Paramount seems to be to work with. Will Mattel be any better?

I liked Gi Joe Retaliation for what it was. I loved the Ninja-fight seqeunce, especially how there was no dialogue for ten minutes. That was perfect.

What I did not like was how it was disjointed between scenes with very little exposition (which can be good, but not here).

I think the third one will be better.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

If it was possible, in TF 3-- you didn't even care if the human characters died ( all of the humans seem kindof despicable-). At least in Retaliation, you cared what happened to the heros. I agree if you hold Retaliation up to say, Avengers,etc... then it IS a weak movie--but anything is better than the first Joe movie or ***shudder*** worst of all TF 2
    Last edited by He-Kal; April 1, 2013 at 03:19pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'll be watching this next weekend and I'm looking forward to it. Im a semi Joe fan so I'm going to watch it with an open mind and without expecting much.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I agree MGM, looks like Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Uwe Boll.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Heroic Warrior
    I loved the new GI JOE movie, was i expecting The Godfather or Deer Hunter? Of course not, and as great as those movies are, I'd rather watch The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, Friday and The Breakfast Club 100 times over than those movies becuz i have more fun watchn them. Would i compare or rank those movies up there with The Godfather, Goodfellas or Deer Hunter, no, that's silly. I look back at the 80's Joe cartoon and how silly (in a good way) they were and Retaliation in my opinion is a great adaptation of it. Is the movie true to its cartoon roots? NO, but im ok with Duke dying (mainly cuz i could care less for the actor), and i'm ok with The Rock as Roadblock and taking the lead. Was the plot ridiculous? lol, hell yeah it was, but so were many of the cartoon plots.

I think it maybe more fair to compare it to, Transformers, Battleship, and most superhero movies, and then go from there. because that's what i would do if a friend asked me if they should see it. For one, my son loved it, so if you have a kid I would say your kid would probably enjoy it. i would also say its not as good as The Batman series (C. Nolan versions) but its not as awful as the dumb down transformers. Is this movie for everyone? of course not, just be reasonable on the material and expectations. A film may not have the best cinematic aesthetics but can still be enjoyed.
    Last edited by Romadon; April 1, 2013 at 03:59pm.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC