Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

Just laughed my way through GI Joe Retaliation.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. And I saw the first Joe film!

Jon M. Chu is a hack of epic proportions.

Trust me, people, the He-Man movie is going to suck beyond belief with him at the helm.

I could go into detail, but I really don't care to relive the pain I just experienced.

Suffice to say, aside from my all time favorite character Firefly making an appearance, I can not think of one single redeeming thing about that POS.

We really need to start a petition to get this guy off the movie.

Trust me people, give up hope for a good Masters film if Chu is in charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    Indeed. If he falls short with movie stars like the Rock & Willis together, he definetelly cannot start a MOTU movie franchise.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..on his audio commentary Michael Bay says he was getting death threats.
    (Chu is going to get a witch hunt.)

I liked it a lot, in my opinion is a 100% joe movie. of course the script is not great but that is not a result of Jon Chu. He directed the movie and did brilliantly well, shoots very dynamically, good cuts,ninja scene is one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.in fact critics who did not like the film praised the work of Jon Chu.
    I have high hopes for motu with him but the basics will be have a good script.

the movie is working very well at the box office, now March / April might be a good date for Masters of the Universe movie,
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I liked it a lot, in my opinion is a 100% joe movie. of course the script is not great but that is not a result of Jon Chu. He directed the movie and did brilliantly well, shoots very dynamically, good cuts,ninja scene is one of the best action scenes I've ever seen.in fact critics who did not like the film praised the work of Jon Chu.
    I have high hopes for motu with him but the basics will be have a good script.

the movie is working very well at the box office, now March / April might be a good date for Masters of the Universe movie,
    Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.

One could teach a course on bad film making by analyzing GI Joe: Retaliation.

The script is horrible. And the direction was not any better. Chu is the director and oversees everything. Set designs. Casting. Shot selection. Lenses used. Performances. Choreography. CGI. Just to name a few. And these were all atrocious.

This film is so bad it feels like a parody. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that they purposefully set out to make a comedy.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, because reliving that stinking pile of %^&# in my mind is bad for my health.

Let's start with the music.

Horrible. Overuse of guitars and 3rd rate rock n roll songs which call attention to themselves, rather than adding layers to the film. Not one memorable melody or theme. Might as well have scored the film with the noise of a blender on puree. I busted out laughing when the rock song started playing as Bruce Willis was busting out all his weapons.

Think I'll complain about the acting, or lack thereof, next.

Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.
    Haven't seen beastmaster, but thank GOD this movie isn't citizen Kane or the Godfather. Its not supposed to be!! I am seeing it tonight and won't defend or bash it until afterwards, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people say it's ain't (fill in the blank) either as a criticism or a defense. Art IS subjective but it should be held up against it's peers when critiquing. I won't look at the sculpts of the new TMNT figures and say they suck because they aren't Michelangelo's David!! I won't defend Norm Breyfogle's art by saying It's not supposed to be DaVinci!!

I'm not attacking your opinion on the film, just reacting against that pet peeve of mine.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake;3238631[b
    Not to get personal, but[/b] I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't. Hell, this movie isn't even as good as The Beastmaster.

One could teach a course on bad film making by analyzing GI Joe: Retaliation.

The script is horrible. And the direction was not any better. Chu is the director and oversees everything. Set designs. Casting. Shot selection. Lenses used. Performances. Choreography. CGI. Just to name a few. And these were all atrocious.

This film is so bad it feels like a parody. If I didn't know any better, I would believe that they purposefully set out to make a comedy.

I can only tackle one problem at a time, because reliving that stinking pile of %^&# in my mind is bad for my health.

Let's start with the music.

Horrible. Overuse of guitars and 3rd rate rock n roll songs which call attention to themselves, rather than adding layers to the film. Not one memorable melody or theme. Might as well have scored the film with the noise of a blender on puree. I busted out laughing when the rock song started playing as Bruce Willis was busting out all his weapons.

Think I'll complain about the acting, or lack thereof, next.

I don't mean to offend, but.... I don't mean to be racist/sexist, but.... j/k

Yeah, it does look like you're wanting to make it somewhat personal. You do pretty much roll off that into quizzing the guy about his film tastes. Maybe we can try and not get into the film snob territory and let others enjoy the movie?

There does seem to be quite a few people who like the movie going by the reception it's getting, that doesn't mean you have to like, but you not liking it doesn't mean you can 'teach' people it's a bad movie. Accept it's your opinion and let some people enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I'm a huge Joe fan, and I'm afraid that having a big gun like the Dwayne Johnson and still not being able to sympathize with him in the Firefly-RoadBlock fight is a serious directing miss.

I agree that ninjas get the best of the movie, the mountain fight sequence is great, but the whole movie seem to be disconnected fast action shots (which could have even been better with the over used slo-mo trick) with practically no plot reason to happen, and it is director editing task to have something more fluent in telling a story.

And finally for character motivation o interpretation, besides the awful liberties taken on RoadBlock role because of the Rock, there's no hint of original Joe personalities: Duke looks like to be in a gay crush with RoadBlock; Flint is a rebeld post-teen soldier with a crush on Lady Jaye but never makes a move; Lady Jaye has pretty much the same character role as Scarlett in ROC (Daddy issues) and Jinx never poses as a real Arashikage or why is helping Snake Eyes in pursuing Storm Shadow, not a a single line of dialogue for motivation.
    If that is the result with Joe characters, which are merely taken the names only, what could be the possible result on MOTU characters? I can tell you, another mere Conan The Barbarian (2011) at best.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

As a matter of fact, I quite liked it. The music was a bit off, only because it seemed to go so long from just being scored to introducing a rock song. Other than that I liked it. The ninja fight on the mountainside was a great use of the 3D conversion. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't nearly the worst movie either.

I like how certain people think they can do better and say "If so and so does it it will suck!"

I think people really hate just to hate and just because it doesn't appease to their childhood moments or the comic,cartoon etc. 100% "Fanboy" needs to get a life.

The internet is a great place but too many people use it to bash things that most normal people really could care less about.... Just because they can...

Heroic Warrior
    I gots to see this movie. It has the most mixed reviews of any movie I can remember.

I saw it and thought it was terrible. I have no deep love for GI Joe to begin with and I thought the first one was completely rotten, but I had hopes for this one based on The Rock and Willis. But despite the admittedly good action, I was sooo bored. Didn't care for any of the characters, completely checked out of the rediculous plot, rolled my eyes and groaned so many times. I just hope there is a legit writer working on the MOTU movie!

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    I have no deep love for GI Joe to begin with and I thought the first one was completely rotten I was sooo bored.
    See my point they don't like the characters so they have to reason to bash see if I didn't even remotely like something I'm not going to spend $10-15 on it...

That's like me going to see Twilight or Harry Potter which I hate both never going to happen...

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See my point they don't like the characters so they have to reason to bash see if I didn't even remotely like something I'm not going to spend $10-15 on it...

That's like me going to see Twilight or Harry Potter which I hate both never going to happen...
    did you mean they have no reason to bash? because i'm afraid they do. when someone says "have no deep love for", i take it to mean they are indifferent to the thing they are referencing, not necessarily that they outright dislike a thing.

regardless of how one might feel towards the source material, a film must stand on it's own merits. i love g.i. joe...but yes, this film leaves much to be desired. if chu is going ahead with MOTU, here are the things i hope he improves on:

1. cast charismatic actors that can actually act. (do not make the rock your lead. his performances are always forced.)

2. avoid stunt casting. (RZA as the blind master? really?)

3. hire a composer worthy of MOTU. i really hope he doesn't make the guy who scored retaliation his regular collaborator.

4. Just because the source material is a toyline and a cartoon, doesn't mean we have to settle for a storyline, characterizations, and dialogue aimed at 8 year olds. a film should always have much higher aspirations than that, regardless of the source.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I liked it a lot. and as stated I don't know much or care much about GI JOE. So for ME to enjoy a GI Joe property that means it delivers in a way that it hasn't before, at least hasn't historically. and sorry I LIKE The Rock as a lead, most times he works for me and when he doesn't it's very slight ticks that I usually brush off.

Did this movie have problems, yeah, the aforementioned issues with the lack of character development, RZA, and most of the emotional stuff set to the side in favour of action, but it was fun! Do I want MORE from MOTU, hell yes, but I still had FUN watching this flick. Part 1 was on when I got hom and looking at it right after seeing Retaliation, man the tone is SO different, the first one feels like a 1990s made for TV movie setting up a series. the 2nd feels more like a movie to me.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

As pointed of Godfather and Citizen Kane this film (and the future masters film) are not even in the same family of movie. its like saying Coke Zero is no 100 year scotch. to compare is unfair,

I spent my college years working on a late night talk show, talked to a lot of filmmakers , you think directors apart from your select few (Spielberg.. Nolan.. etc ) have that much say in a movie, i can tell you that is not the case AT ALL!!! and to be honest when dealing with licensed property that is not always a bad thing like people may think, look at Spider-man 3 sam raimi had the most creative control on that then the other two (despite popular belief ) but it was his elements of sandman and emo spidey, look at marvels studios handling of multiple directors and casts,

i like GIJR for what it was, for me it delivered what it promised and i appreciated that.

Not to get personal, but I would love to know what you consider good films. Citizen Kane this ain't. The Godfather this ain't.
    Is that how you determine whether or not a film is garbage? If it’s as good as Citizen Kane and the Godfather? I bet that works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    did you mean they have no reason to bash? because i'm afraid they do. when someone says "have no deep love for", i take it to mean they are indifferent to the thing they are referencing, not necessarily that they outright dislike a thing.

regardless of how one might feel towards the source material, a film must stand on it's own merits. i love g.i. joe...but yes, this film leaves much to be desired. if chu is going ahead with MOTU, here are the things i hope he improves on:

1. cast charismatic actors that can actually act. (do not make the rock your lead. his performances are always forced.)

2. avoid stunt casting. (RZA as the blind master? really?)

3. hire a composer worthy of MOTU. i really hope he doesn't make the guy who scored retaliation his regular collaborator.

4. Just because the source material is a toyline and a cartoon, doesn't mean we have to settle for a storyline, characterizations, and dialogue aimed at 8 year olds. a film should always have much higher aspirations than that, regardless of the source.
    See that makes no sense you don't like the movie so instead of waiting for red box to get it because you think it's so bad your going top spend $10-15 to see a movie you hate?

The acting if horrendous.

The Rock - Tries his best to deliver the horrible one liners scripted for him. Fails.

Willis - He's given up. Just phoning it in. Probably worked less than a week on this film and learned his lines on set.

Adrienne Palicki - Looks great in a jogging outfit. Other than that, laughably bad. I burst out laughing when she throws up the "Freeze" silent signal. Special forces? Are you kidding me?

Jonathon Pryce - Retaliation is proof that even talented actors can fail miserably with bad direction.

RZA - Are you freakin' kidding me?!!! This no talent rapper is an even worse no talent actor.

Ray Stevenson - He's alright I guess.

Ray Park - Worse "silent acting" than the first film.

Cobra Commander/Darth Vader - If you can say walking like a Victoria Secret model in slow motion is acting, than he/she did a fantastic job!

Flint and Jinx have nothing to do.

The prison warden was soooooo annoying I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle him. Overact much? Yes.

I could discuss the other actors, but there aren't any others worth even mentioning.

Regarding all these attacks regarding my mention of Citizen Kane and The Godfather. Are you serious?! Some of you need to reread my post, because you are putting words in my mouth. I can't think of anything sadder than setting a low bar for your expectations. I refuse to be happy with or settle for mediocrity.

All I am dying to know is from those who actually liked this film, what do you consider fantastic films? I'm dying for some perspective on these fans, which is not out of line to ask or a personal attack, regardless of what my Scottish friend thinks.

Think I'll touch upon the lackluster direction and highly disappointing action scenes next.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Let's look at how Joe fans are seeing this...

G.I. Joe Retailiation is #1, dethroning The Croods and beating Tyler Perry's newest flick. A sequel has been supposedly greenlit.
    Jon Chu is a hero on the Joe boards. He helped saved the brand from the bad mess that ROC made of it.
    G.I. Joe is BACK!!

And this guy is directing MOTU?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Uncle Jake, the tone of your posts suggest you don't seem willing to accept others having a different option to yours. The movie is bad to you, but others like it. Asking for films they consider good only looks like you're building up to dismiss their views on those grounds. Otherwise, why ask for them to justify their choices in film to you?

I'm not trying to shout you down or tell you to shut up. You're more than welcome to repeat you don't like the film, but asking people to justify their film choices won't lead anywhere good in my view.

Also, did you really need to go there with the 'my Scottish friend' line? Do we really need the sarcasm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Regarding all these attacks regarding my mention of Citizen Kane and The Godfather. Are you serious?! Some of you need to reread my post, because you are putting words in my mouth. I can't think of anything sadder than setting a low bar for your expectations. I refuse to be happy with or settle for mediocrity.
    Very few films are like Citizen Kane and the Godfather. We're not setting our bars low, but yours is definitely too high. Ever heard of managing your expectations? Are those two films honestly the bar you set up when watching a new film? That's ridiculous, if so. It’s strangely quite ignorant and it’s certainly pretty elitist. It has nothing to do with settling for mediocrity and everything to do with knowing what you're watching. Ever heard of genres? Not everything is the same and not every film should be viewed in the same way. You're just setting yourself up for a fall otherwise. I think the way you go about viewing films and subsequently judging their merits is incredibly flawed and needs evaluating.

Yes, Citizen Kane and the Godfather are fantastic films. I also like many other films and consider them to be fantastic that I’m sure, judging from the way you seem to judge films, you would think are complete and utter garbage.
    Last edited by Krueger; March 31, 2013 at 08:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Let's look at how Joe fans are seeing this...

G.I. Joe Retailiation is #1, dethroning The Croods and beating Tyler Perry's newest flick. A sequel has been supposedly greenlit.
    Jon Chu is a hero on the Joe boards. He helped saved the brand from the bad mess that ROC made of it.
    G.I. Joe is BACK!!

And this guy is directing MOTU?
    i am a joe fan, but i'm not seeing it that way. my inner hype for a new MOTU film has been significantly reduced. but then i'm the sort of fan that isn't satisfied with merely having references thrown at me, or for the movie to "feel" like my beloved franchises. the film must still stand in it's own medium and demonstrate diligent and competent application of craft.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Just laughed my way through GI Joe Retaliation.

One of the worst films I have ever seen. And I saw the first Joe film!

Jon M. Chu is a hack of epic proportions.

Trust me, people, the He-Man movie is going to suck beyond belief with this fool at the helm.

I could go into detail, but I really don't care to relive the pain I just experienced.

Suffice to say, aside from my all time favorite character Firefly making an appearance, I can not think of one single redeeming thing about that POS.

We really need to start a petition to get this guy off the movie.

I think you've forgotten how bad Michael Bay is...
    • Skids and Mudflap
    • Jazz's "What up *****es?"
    • Bumblebee whizzing on Simmons
    • Wheelie humping Megan Fox's leg
    • Simmon's underwear jokes
    • Ken Jeong's Deep Wang
    • Homicidal and Murderous Optimus Prime
    • Devastator's balls

Retailiation wasn't a perfect movie, but it was nowhere near Michael Bay bad.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think you've forgotten how bad Michael Bay is...
    • Skids and Mudflap
    • Jazz's "What up *****es?"
    • Bumblebee whizzing on Simmons
    • Wheelie humping Megan Fox's leg
    • Simmon's underwear jokes
    • Ken Jeong's Deep Wang
    • Homicidal and Murderous Optimus Prime
    • Devastator's balls

Retailiation wasn't a perfect movie, but it was nowhere near Michael Bay bad.
    Gotta agree with you here... at least Chu showed some respect towards the franchise and the actors, AND the audience...

Bay just made fools of everyone... actors, characters and fans...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!