Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

I just finished watching GI Joe Retaliation, and my personal opinion of it is, it is extremely weak, and boring. It has ninja battles in it, and it is still boring. I don't understand where this movie is better than the first one. I would put this movie and ROC on par with the Bayformers movies. The story was weak, the dialogue was poorly written, and I didn't find any of the characters interesting. I wasn't expecting much from this movie and I was still disappointed. I really hope that the MOTU movie falls through again. I hope we never see a MOTU movie made, ever. I'm just tired of Hollywood taking properties and unnecessarily reinventing them, while ignoring the source material, and giving us something that has very little to do with the original idea, or theme that made that property popular in the first place. They then slap the name of that property on to their crappy movie, because that is what is going to sell tickets. I would rather not see that happen to MOTU. It took me a long time to forget the 1987 movie, and I don't want to have to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Dude your not alone. I never like the duel identity. I'm ok with him being a prince who graduallly becomes He-Man but as far as scrawy to brawy in a lighting strikes moment that's always been kinda lame in my opinon. Just don't over use it in cinema and I'll be fine.
    yes, but the dual identity thing prevented he-man from simply being Wandering Barbarian #47. by combining the barbarian look with motifs typically associated with superheroes, he-man became something unique and identifiable.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    There's also few things in MOTU as iconic as Adam/He-Man holding aloft the power sword and saying "By the power of Grayskull, I have the power!" If you lose Prince Adam and the secret identity you also have to lose one of the most well known aspects to MOTU (otherwise it would just be weirdly shoehorned in).

About GI Joe retaliation I loved it as a movie action but is much smaller than the previous one, it shows you have a lower budget, 45 million less, and part of that budget would take to the rock and Bruce Willis.
    of course the script is not great but I did not expect anything else from gi joe.
    I liked the character of cobra, I really liked the character of Firefly and Jonathan Price performance is very good.
    I think jon chu understood the G i Joe property and goes well but the basic on motu will have a good script.

I really want a MOTU movie, I recognize the quality of the movie is almost an anecdote for me, I mainly want motu to have a great exposure again, I want to see a film about he-man in a theater , watch tv spot, see toys in the shops and such thing, I want motu to have a second chance and the height of our lives (we were kids in the 80's) is probably our last chance to live it.
    I can not understand why people want to stay motu in the dark .
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; April 4, 2013 at 12:35am.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    I'd imagine that if they are going to make a new movie, the target audience would not be die-hard fans/collectors, but for those who grew up with the cartoon and casually played with the toys. Most of whom have no awareness of the early mini-comics and will scratch their head at the absence of Prince Adam. If I were to try and write a script, I'd want to include him, but it would not be an easy task to make it believable in a live action setting. Unless there was a big visual/personally contrast between Adam and He-Man (deeper voice, longer hair, more aggressive, etc.)

I thought maybe leaving him out would be best, just as Tim Burton did with Robin (he also took a lot of liberties with the origin of The Joker). But as it was implied earlier, you lose Adam and you lose much of the story and many of the iconic characteristics. Next best thing: A dark, more serious and slightly updated Conan-like film based upon the early mini-comics. But you do that and it will suffer the same backlash the 1987 film got (but that film, looking back on it now worked...but it's arguable if it's MOTU or something else with just the same character names).

This is why I've said time and time again, I feel it works best as a cartoon/toy line/comic book. The money would most likely only be made for quick box office cash and will laughed off the screen.

Heroic Warrior
    I just saw Retaliation. The action in it was great. There was zero character moments in it though. I truly hope Chu does He-Man and the Masters the justice it deserves. Along with the action it NEEDS those character driven moments...

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I agree about the costumes. I dont want pink and purple all over the place. Ick.
    Is there no place for Orko in this movie for you, Divia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by caine View Post
    I just saw Retaliation. The action in it was great. There was zero character moments in it though. I truly hope Chu does He-Man and the Masters the justice it deserves. Along with the action it NEEDS those character driven moments...
    quoted for truth.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Abusing all those G.I. Joe Characters, in the name of... what? A terrible storyline... who are these people in this movie anyhow.... I really don't want to see a rapper MAA or a Darth Vader Skeletor... So if that goes that way, I will be very dissapointed. And I don't want to give a chance this director, buecause of his work on G.I. Joe movie, Retardation
    http://decorvo.mybrute.com

Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.

Wish list; http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=166721

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    yes, but the dual identity thing prevented he-man from simply being Wandering Barbarian #47. by combining the barbarian look with motifs typically associated with superheroes, he-man became something unique and identifiable.
    No, I think the more toyetic colorful characters, monsters and sci-fi vehicles stopped He-Man from copying Conan's comparatively drab world. He-Man was an already successful toyline before Filmation gave him that superhero identity and made him even more successful.

The only things Filmation added to the formula that were already present was Saturday morning cartoon characters and a secret identity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Carl View Post
    I just finished watching GI Joe Retaliation, and my personal opinion of it is, it is extremely weak, and boring. It has ninja battles in it, and it is still boring. I don't understand where this movie is better than the first one. I would put this movie and ROC on par with the Bayformers movies. The story was weak, the dialogue was poorly written, and I didn't find any of the characters interesting. I wasn't expecting much from this movie and I was still disappointed. I really hope that the MOTU movie falls through again. I hope we never see a MOTU movie made, ever. I'm just tired of Hollywood taking properties and unnecessarily reinventing them, while ignoring the source material, and giving us something that has very little to do with the original idea, or theme that made that property popular in the first place. They then slap the name of that property on to their crappy movie, because that is what is going to sell tickets. I would rather not see that happen to MOTU. It took me a long time to forget the 1987 movie, and I don't want to have to go through that again.

Eh, all the Justin Bieber flick means is that Chu knows how to work choreography for melee battles. As seen with this movie during the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow ninja fight.

To counter that, while Retailiation had it's flaws, the movie being successful after Rise of COBRA nearly destroyed G.I. Joe and getting a sequel ANYMORE PROOF that Chu might be good for bringing back MOTU to the masses? G.I. Joe fans are rejoicing that Joe is getting much needed exposure and will get even more exposure from the sequel, thanks to this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    About GI Joe retaliation I loved it as a movie action but is much smaller than the previous one, it shows you have a lower budget, 45 million less, and part of that budget would take to the rock and Bruce Willis.
    of course the script is not great but I did not expect anything else from gi joe.
    I liked the character of cobra, I really liked the character of Firefly and Jonathan Price performance is very good.
    I think jon chu understood the G i Joe property and goes well but the basic on motu will have a good script.

I really want a MOTU movie, I recognize the quality of the movie is almost an anecdote for me, I mainly want motu to have a great exposure again, I want to see a film about he-man in a theater , watch tv spot, see toys in the shops and such thing, I want motu to have a second chance and the height of our lives (we were kids in the 80's) is probably our last chance to live it.
    I can not understand why people want to stay motu in the dark .
    Just like Transformers fans, some fans want MOTU to be Citizen Caine, Lord of the Rings or bust. As long as Hollywood has to appear to the millions of non-fans, rather than the thousands of hardcore fans, there will be changes to things fans have long thought as gospel.

I've long thought that an entirely CGI movie would be the best route if you want to be nearly 100% faithful, but fans shoot that idea down because they think that CGI means a cartoon and that entirely CGI movies (Beowulf, Final Fantasy) aren't successful.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I found him to be a very capable director, loved the movie, and am very happy he's doing the MOTU movie for now. It seems it's in capable hands. I'm not expecting Acadamy Award winning anything....I just want a great popcorn flick with sequel possibilities. It seems that's exactly what Mr. Chu delivers!

I HATED EVERY KUBRIC MOVIE I SAW!!! lol no it's true though so my two cents Stanely on MOTU would be boring as watching paint dry. Of course the TF movies were poop too. I'd love for this movie to be Epic but I'll settle for not crap.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Heroic Warrior
    Saw Retaliation today and loved it. World's better than RoC. It had a very early Joe comic/cartoon vibe to it. Cobra Commander and a group of operatives trying to take over the world with the help of satellites? Duke and Roadblock being good/best friends? Flint and Lady Jaye flirting? Done and done. As I saw the HISS tanks in action for the first time, I very loudly said, "No way...". Between that, Firefly, the Moccasin...this was a Joe movie, plain and simple. Sure, I've got nitpicks, but oh well. I can't wait to see what Chu does with MOTU, because I think we're in for a treat.

ps: The chick who played Lady Jaye needs to be Teela like yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No, I think the more toyetic colorful characters, monsters and sci-fi vehicles stopped He-Man from copying Conan's comparatively drab world. He-Man was an already successful toyline before Filmation gave him that superhero identity and made him even more successful.

The only things Filmation added to the formula that were already present was Saturday morning cartoon characters and a secret identity.

Just like Transformers fans, some fans want MOTU to be Citizen Caine, Lord of the Rings or bust. As long as Hollywood has to appear to the millions of non-fans, rather than the thousands of hardcore fans, there will be changes to things fans have long thought as gospel.

I've long thought that an entirely CGI movie would be the best route if you want to be nearly 100% faithful, but fans shoot that idea down because they think that CGI means a cartoon and that entirely CGI movies (Beowulf, Final Fantasy) aren't successful.
    yes, he-man was already a successful toyline, but the transformation from prince adam to he-man has become an iconic aspect of the character and served to separate he-man (as a character, not just a franchise) from other sword wielding, barbarian type characters.

in regards to the movie- wanting it to be on par with LOTR and wanting a movie that is uber faithful to the source material are two very different things. in fact, one of my complaints about g.i. joe retaliation, was that it was too much like the cartoon. i felt it needed to do a better job of elevating itself above the source material.

i want a MOTU film that is reasonably faithful and clearly recognizable as MOTU...but i also want a movie that has a great deal of sophistication. it is possible, with some effort and respect.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    I HATED EVERY KUBRIC MOVIE I SAW!!!.
    Actually most the Kuric movies I saw I found to be very boring as well......Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, 2001.....just not my thing. I did like the Shining though. And I agree with your not crap demand as well. That would be great

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Actually most the Kuric movies I saw I found to be very boring as well......Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, 2001.....just not my thing. I did like the Shining though. And I agree with your not crap demand as well. That would be great
    gonna have to differ with you here, my plundor loving comrade...i love kubrick
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I think Sylvester Stallone could randomly throw together a Joe movie.
    ..(or just re-name Expendables)

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    gonna have to differ with you here, my plundor loving comrade...i love kubrick
    I prefer Spielberg and Lucas

..I think Spielberg is the one who initiated Michael Bay to direct 'Transfor-mess-ers'.

and Lucas has not worked on a movie in 100yrs, I think.

Megalodon says
    I think people really hate just to hate and just because it doesn't appease to their childhood moments or the comic,cartoon etc. 100% "Fanboy" needs to get a life.
    THANK YOU!!! Nothing made based on something we loved as kids is going to measure up to our nostalgic adult minds and I for one actually enjoyed both GI Joe movies.
    I do think it was obvious that his GI Joe movie was his first time directing an action film and moments felt weak because of it but I don't think he's so bad and I personally prefer to wait and see before making assumptions.
    That said, I totally would've preferred whoever directed Thor to do a MOTU movie. How awesome would THAT be? Someone tell Mr. Chu to study that.

..well if you like Chu's college film then you can like anything and you cannot be disappointed.

Also the guy who directed Thor may not have directed a lot before but he was/and directed Frankenstein.
    Kenneth Branagh is also knighted. ..like Eastwood.

I thought the GI Joe sequel wasn't too bad. I liked it better than the first movie. Hopefully they bring Scarlet, Baroness, and Destro back for the sequel.

As for Chu directing He-Man, I'm not as worried as I once was.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I prefer Spielberg and Lucas
    Honestly? You want ether a director who hasn't made a good movie in ages or one that hasn't made a good movie in his whole career? I would love to see Motu as Neil Bloomkamps next movie after Elysium.

Court Magician
    Ok am i the only one who thought G.I. Joe: Retaliation was one of better movies lately? Why do i have this kind of opinion... Sometimes i like to rest my brains during the movie and this was the one (MOTU doesn't need to be Oscar thingy - IMO that would be quite bad). I wan't an Blockbuster but not some dramatizing c..p