Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 74

Thread: Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior He-Kal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    920
    If it was possible, in TF 3-- you didn't even care if the human characters died ( all of the humans seem kindof despicable-). At least in Retaliation, you cared what happened to the heros. I agree if you hold Retaliation up to say, Avengers,etc... then it IS a weak movie--but anything is better than the first Joe movie or ***shudder*** worst of all TF 2
    Last edited by He-Kal; April 1, 2013 at 03:19pm.

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    5,089
    I'll be watching this next weekend and I'm looking forward to it. Im a semi Joe fan so I'm going to watch it with an open mind and without expecting much.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

  3. #28
    HUHHHH! Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    1,700
    I agree MGM, looks like Jon M. Chu makes Michael Bay look like Uwe Boll.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

    Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    608
    I loved the new GI JOE movie, was i expecting The Godfather or Deer Hunter? Of course not, and as great as those movies are, I'd rather watch The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, Friday and The Breakfast Club 100 times over than those movies becuz i have more fun watchn them. Would i compare or rank those movies up there with The Godfather, Goodfellas or Deer Hunter, no, that's silly. I look back at the 80's Joe cartoon and how silly (in a good way) they were and Retaliation in my opinion is a great adaptation of it. Is the movie true to its cartoon roots? NO, but im ok with Duke dying (mainly cuz i could care less for the actor), and i'm ok with The Rock as Roadblock and taking the lead. Was the plot ridiculous? lol, hell yeah it was, but so were many of the cartoon plots.

    I think it maybe more fair to compare it to, Transformers, Battleship, and most superhero movies, and then go from there. because that's what i would do if a friend asked me if they should see it. For one, my son loved it, so if you have a kid I would say your kid would probably enjoy it. i would also say its not as good as The Batman series (C. Nolan versions) but its not as awful as the dumb down transformers. Is this movie for everyone? of course not, just be reasonable on the material and expectations. A film may not have the best cinematic aesthetics but can still be enjoyed.
    Last edited by Romadon; April 1, 2013 at 03:59pm.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior JDubya88788's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    197
    I am suprised to hear nothing about Zartan in these posts yet... I was dissapointed in the small role in the first movie, the concept of the nano face changing works (I guess) and Vosloo makes for a good Zartan with the original look... But without seeing this sequal can anybody tell me does Zartan live up? Does he show any vintage outfits at all? Good, Bad, Horrible???? I know he is still posing as the president but I would like to hear that his true self is shown and DOES HIS SKIN TURN BLUE AT ALL????????????
    PHP Code:
    J-DUBYA!! 


    FEEDBACK LINK http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205315

    J to the DUB at YA

  6. #31
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,451
    Quote Originally Posted by JDubya88788 View Post
    I am suprised to hear nothing about Zartan in these posts yet... I was dissapointed in the small role in the first movie, the concept of the nano face changing works (I guess) and Vosloo makes for a good Zartan with the original look... But without seeing this sequal can anybody tell me does Zartan live up? Does he show any vintage outfits at all? Good, Bad, Horrible???? I know he is still posing as the president but I would like to hear that his true self is shown and DOES HIS SKIN TURN BLUE AT ALL????????????
    If you're a Zartan fan...

     
    ....then don't go see this movie. He's the President all the way through, although we do see Vosloo for a split second a few times.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  7. #32
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,986
    Retaliation is head-and-shoulders above Rise of Cobra. It feels like watching a slightly more serious live action adaptation of the animated series. The Zeus Satellites reminded me of the Mass Device or the Broadcast Energy Transmitter.

    My only criticism is that the film feels a bit disjointed: as if it was a longer film edited to fit a shorter running time; which, considering the problems with the script and the re-shoots, is understandable. If he were to direct a third film, I do not think it would have these problems.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior cobrakahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    EAST COAST.
    Posts
    172
    Wow people are ragging on the RZA, obviously no one knows anything about the Wu tang clan. I thought the movie was fine. There were allot of weirdo moments and plot related problems but it was a hard plot to pull off.
    Really it was a awesome movie with how hard Hasbro and Paramount seems to be to work with. Will Mattel be any better?

  9. #34
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,918
    I liked Gi Joe Retaliation for what it was. I loved the Ninja-fight seqeunce, especially how there was no dialogue for ten minutes. That was perfect.

    What I did not like was how it was disjointed between scenes with very little exposition (which can be good, but not here).

    I think the third one will be better.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  10. #35
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakahn View Post
    Wow people are ragging on the RZA, obviously no one knows anything about the Wu tang clan. I thought the movie was fine. There were allot of weirdo moments and plot related problems but it was a hard plot to pull off.
    Really it was a awesome movie with how hard Hasbro and Paramount seems to be to work with. Will Mattel be any better?
    I'm a big Wu Tang fan, Rza just isn't a very good actor. he's a brilliant music producer, be the dude can't act. at least he doesn't have much versatility. a friend of mine is friends with Method Man and he cringed at rza's part in retaliation too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    but seriously, THREE threads on this movie??
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  11. #36
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,543
    There's no way to please everyone. I think regardless of whomever ends up directing the MOTU movie (if it ever happens), people will complain.

    Example: I enjoyed both Rise of Cobra and Retaliation. Yup. Both! I thought they were fun movies. I have absolutely no ties to GI Joe and only general knowledge of the property.

    Example 2: I remember when people were calling for Peter Jackson to direct MOTU. I hated the LOTR movies!

    To each their own! I'd just be happy to see a new MOTU movie on the screen. They are going to change things, they will take liberties, and we should be prepared and expecting that to occur. We won't love everything about the movie, but if we go in to it with an open mind, we may enjoy the ride.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  12. #37
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    There's no way to please everyone. I think regardless of whomever ends up directing the MOTU movie (if it ever happens), people will complain.

    Example: I enjoyed both Rise of Cobra and Retaliation. Yup. Both! I thought they were fun movies. I have absolutely no ties to GI Joe and only general knowledge of the property.

    Example 2: I remember when people were calling for Peter Jackson to direct MOTU. I hated the LOTR movies!

    To each their own! I'd just be happy to see a new MOTU movie on the screen. They are going to change things, they will take liberties, and we should be prepared and expecting that to occur. We won't love everything about the movie, but if we go in to it with an open mind, we may enjoy the ride.
    yep, thats the problem with fanboys, they have a wishlist and if even ONE thing is missing, they call for blood. my wish is for a fun movie, good acting, AMAZING special effects and action, reasonably faithful to the source material (ie no Earth soldier transported to save the day, no chrome masked skeletor) and a good story. if they deliver on these points then I will want them to step up (no pun intended) for the 2nd.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  13. #38
    Eternian Pimp PIMPS ADAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.E. Aurora,Colorado
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yep, thats the problem with fanboys, they have a wishlist and if even ONE thing is missing, they call for blood. my wish is for a fun movie, good acting, AMAZING special effects and action, reasonably faithful to the source material (ie no Earth soldier transported to save the day, no chrome masked skeletor) and a good story. if they deliver on these points then I will want them to step up (no pun intended) for the 2nd.

    Heck, Fan boys can’t even agree amongst themselves. So there is no way to make a movie for everyone. I know one thing though, they will try to make a movie that appeals to the masses. Unfortunately the fan boy is a minority, so all we can do at least is support the effort and hopefully fall in love with the finish product and if not it was out of control from the beginning.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

  14. #39
    In disguise! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelby, NC
    Posts
    2,125
    I enjoyed Retaliation. As someone whose first action figure was a G.I.Joe, this franchise has always been a big part of my childhood. I think the movie was well done for what it was. It wasn't the G.I.Joe movie I would have made, but my wife and I had a good time going to see it.

    What bothers me about people ragging other people for liking certain movies is that it seems like it always devolves into calling their taste into question or assuming that they're somehow less intelligent than someone else. It's like assuming that someone can't appreciate classical music because they find a Lady Gaga song catchy or that they'll be unable to enjoy a 5 course homecooked meal because they think Taco Bell makes good tacos. Most people just go into different movies with different mindsets.

    Since they were brought up, Citizen Kane, the Godfather parts I and II, and The Deer Hunter are all excellent, well made films. Just because someone has seen and appreciated those films doesn't mean that they're incapable of enjoying a film that exists for a different purpose. The same is true the other way around: Just because someone enjoys over the top, silly action movies doesn't mean they're incapable of enjoying film classics. It's ok to ask someone what they enjoyed or didn't enjoy about a movie, but to suddenly demand their list of film choices reeks of film snobbery.

    It reminds me of an activity that's done with students in regards to reading where you present them with a variety of types of printed material to ascertain their intent and audience. Not every type of writing serves the same purpose. War and Peace, the directions for my Blu-Ray Player, a newspaper article, a joke book, a letter from your grandmother, a dictionary entry, the scribbles from your young child, a Batman comic, and a love poem do not all have the same purpose. Just because I can appreciate a letter my grandmother wrote to me or the incoherent writings of my young daughter doesn't mean that I am incapable of enjoying War and Peace. Just because I used a dictionary entry to educate myself doesn't mean I am incapable of reading and understanding a newspaper article. The same is true of film. Just because someone can enjoy a mindless action movie doesn't mean they are incapable of enjoying and reflecting on a thought provoking documentary on the Crimean War.
    Last edited by Barbecue17; April 2, 2013 at 04:45pm.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

    "We have a Ram-Man"

  15. #40
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,801
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    Heck, Fan boys can’t even agree amongst themselves. So there is no way to make a movie for everyone. I know one thing though, they will try to make a movie that appeals to the masses. Unfortunately the fan boy is a minority, so all we can do at least is support the effort and hopefully fall in love with the finish product and if not it was out of control from the beginning.
    And that be the problem! Look on this message board and you will see 100 people with 95 different opinions on how MOTU should be. No she ra, yes she ra, no teela, Teela as the Sorceress, blood, no blood. The queen should be from earth, nos she shouldn't! The list just goes on and on.

    Bottom line is the movie, as you stated will be made for the masses not 1,000 fan boys on He man.org.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  16. #41
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    And that be the problem! Look on this message board and you will see 100 people with 95 different opinions on how MOTU should be. No she ra, yes she ra, no teela, Teela as the Sorceress, blood, no blood. The queen should be from earth, nos she shouldn't! The list just goes on and on.

    Bottom line is the movie, as you stated will be made for the masses not 1,000 fan boys on He man.org.
    so long as its recognizable as an motu property i am pretty open minded. but yeah different folks have their checklists of what's recognizable
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I enjoyed Retaliation. As someone whose first action figure was a G.I.Joe, this franchise has always been a big part of my childhood. I think the movie was well done for what it was. It wasn't the G.I.Joe movie I would have made, but my wife and I had a good time going to see it.

    What bothers me about people ragging other people for liking certain movies is that it seems like it always devolves into calling their taste into question or assuming that they're somehow less intelligent than someone else. It's like assuming that someone can't appreciate classical music because they find a Lady Gaga song catchy or that they'll be unable to enjoy a 5 course homecooked meal because they think Taco Bell makes good tacos. Most people just go into different movies with different mindsets.

    Since they were brought up, Citizen Kane, the Godfather parts I and II, and The Deer Hunter are all excellent, well made films. Just because someone has seen and appreciated those films doesn't mean that they're incapable of enjoying a film that exists for a different purpose. The same is true the other way around: Just because someone enjoys over the top, silly action movies doesn't mean they're incapable of enjoying film classics. It's ok to ask someone what they enjoyed or didn't enjoy about a movie, but to suddenly demand their list of film choices reeks of film snobbery.

    It reminds me of an activity that's done with students in regards to reading where you present them with a variety of types of printed material to ascertain their intent and audience. Not every type of writing serves the same purpose. War and Peace, the directions for my Blu-Ray Player, a newspaper article, a joke book, a letter from your grandmother, a dictionary entry, the scribbles from your young child, a Batman comic, and a love poem do not all have the same purpose. Just because I can appreciate a letter my grandmother wrote to me or the incoherent writings of my young daughter doesn't mean that I am incapable of enjoying War and Peace. Just because I used a dictionary entry to educate myself doesn't mean I am incapable of reading and understanding a newspaper article. The same is true of film. Just because someone can enjoy a mindless action movie doesn't mean they are uncapable of enjoying and reflecting on a thought provoking documentary on the Crimean War.
    well said.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Ab. Ca.
    Posts
    1,016
    Oh, Joe.

    I remember when I was 6-7 yrs old and we had our GI Joes make an assent up the side of my moms piano to capture a Barbie that was left there by the daughter of some visitors, and I think even some Ninja Turtles were involved too.
    ..(mom had the mission aborted based on the use of language)

    SOOO, I have waited to watch for free, this '''G.I.JOE 2: The Streets''', movie, and I have to agree it was a good idea to not pay money for that stink pile.

    Not that I encourage piracy, but I discourage encouragement.
    If you keep allowing Hollywood to treat their audience as the lowest denomination and pay them 100 million a day for their crap, it will get worse.

    Thanks for listening.

  19. #44
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,543
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yep, thats the problem with fanboys, they have a wishlist and if even ONE thing is missing, they call for blood. my wish is for a fun movie, good acting, AMAZING special effects and action, reasonably faithful to the source material (ie no Earth soldier transported to save the day, no chrome masked skeletor) and a good story. if they deliver on these points then I will want them to step up (no pun intended) for the 2nd.
    Exactly! I think my "fanboy" wishes will be fulfilled as long as there is a transformation sequence in the movie. I still enjoyed the 1987 movie without one - but then again, my favorite scene is when He-Man regains the power sword and shouts "I have the power!"

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  20. #45
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,002
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Exactly! I think my "fanboy" wishes will be fulfilled as long as there is a transformation sequence in the movie. I still enjoyed the 1987 movie without one - but then again, my favorite scene is when He-Man regains the power sword and shouts "I have the power!"
    I think MOST fans have been dying to see a live action transformation sequence. I hope they don't take that aspect out, esp since if they WILL be targeting a broader audience, that is THE most iconic aspect of He-Man to the non-initiated. I also believe they want to see orko and Battlecat pretty badly too. All it takes is good writing, that makes almost ANYTHING workable. EG Treebeard in LOTR is a CORNY concept, but IMO they made it work and those sequences are probably my favourites from the movies.

    When the 87 MOTU movie came out, I was disappointed at what it lacked but I left the theatre loving it, as I got older I found a lot of reasons to hate it, as I grew even older I found reasons to love it again. not a perfect movie, not a perfect MOTU movie either, but it has a lot of hidden gold once you get past your prejudices, same with the filmation cartoon.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  21. #46
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,918
    I know I'm in the minority, but I never liked the Prince Adam thing so I'm not a fan of the transformation scene. But John Chu is an 80s purist so I'm sure he'll have it in there. Don't worry, Adam fans, I'm sure you'll be happy.

    I just hope the production designs (costumes, sets, effects) look cool and not too cheesey.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  22. #47
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    SOOO, I have waited to watch for free, this '''G.I.JOE 2: The Streets''', movie, and I have to agree it was a good idea to not pay money for that stink pile.

    If you keep allowing Hollywood to treat their audience as the lowest denomination and pay them 100 million a day for their crap, it will get worse.
    I believe it is doing very well at the box office and is doing extremely well overseas. So while you may think its crap someone out there does enjoy it and is willing to shell out the 10 bucks to see the movie.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3662&p=.htm

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I never liked the Prince Adam thing so I'm not a fan of the transformation scene. But John Chu is an 80s purist so I'm sure he'll have it in there. Don't worry, Adam fans, I'm sure you'll be happy.

    I just hope the production designs (costumes, sets, effects) look cool and not too cheesey.
    I agree about the costumes. I dont want pink and purple all over the place. Ick.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  23. #48
    Eternian Pimp PIMPS ADAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.E. Aurora,Colorado
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I know I'm in the minority, but I never liked the Prince Adam thing so I'm not a fan of the transformation scene. But John Chu is an 80s purist so I'm sure he'll have it in there. Don't worry, Adam fans, I'm sure you'll be happy.

    I just hope the production designs (costumes, sets, effects) look cool and not too cheesey.
    Dude your not alone. I never like the duel identity. I'm ok with him being a prince who graduallly becomes He-Man but as far as scrawy to brawy in a lighting strikes moment that's always been kinda lame in my opinon. Just don't over use it in cinema and I'll be fine.
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

  24. #49
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    1,811
    another article

    https://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&r...4stujiHtaMCnxg

    The GI Joe: Retaliation director is taking the reins of the live-action Masters Of The Universe movie, which is expected out in 2015.

    "You know, we're in the design phase right now. We're still pretty early but we're in the most fun phase - when you just get to try everything," he said.

    "You get to do 20 different versions, or way more than 20 versions, of He-Man, what the Castle of Grayskull looks like, what Battle Cat is going to look like and you make as many mistakes as you can so you don't make mistakes later. That's the phase we're in right now so we'll see what happens."

    Jon, who is a big fan of the He-Man franchise, has high hopes for the big-screen adaptation of the comics and cartoons featuring hero He-Man and his evil nemesis Skeletor, based on the Mattel toys. Casting for the roles have yet to be announced.

    "I'm excited for the movie and I think it'll be really fun. It's a dream come true," he said.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,846
    Well, at least we have confirmation that Battle-Cat is definitely in. Weird how he words Grayskull. The Castle of Grayskull.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •