Thread: Orphan Black

Orphan Black

Did anyone else catch this on BBC America after Doctor Who?

I really enjoyed it. I thought they did a great job setting up the premise in the pilot. For those who haven't heard about it, it starts off with an orphan who witnesses a woman who looks just like her committing suicide. Then things get more interesting from there! I thought the lead actress in particular was great, which is good as we'll be seeing her in various roles. Loved her main sidekick, as well. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this is going.

I watched it, too. I enjoyed it a lot. The last ten or so minutes really got me hooked.

Felix was pretty cool. Picking up a (living) date at the morgue takes game.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    Felix was pretty cool. Picking up a (living) date at the morgue takes game.
    True, although it was more like he got picked up. Not sure if I could date someone who worked in a morgue or not. Hmm... I thought the switched identity thing was fun enough for the pilot, but I like that there is a lot more to it than that.

Yeah, not sure if I'd be all hot and bothered in a place that smells like death.

I think that the shooting Beth was involved with had something to do with the whole clone thing, and it wasn't just a random job-related incident. Lots of intriguing stuff going on, though!
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I liked it too. I will keep watching. I hope it stays true to the first episode premise.

I have to ask, was that a body double of the lead actress? Anyone know?
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Hmm... they haven't said. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was just the actress though.

The premiere seems to have done well. It was only half of Doctor Who on BBC America, but in terms of other BBC America shows it had an impressive debut with 1 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...merica/176152/

The second episode was great at really making things much more complicated for Sarah. I loved it. I really find myself drawn to her predicament, even if she's probably not that great of a person in a lot of ways. I find her very sympathetic, and it's a great thrill watching her think on the fly and react to whatever is in front of her. And man, the soccer mom version was so well done. She really made two very distinct characters, and it didn't rely on different color wigs or accents.

--- UPDATE ---

Still enjoying the series. I did kind of wonder if it could sustain its premise, but so far it really has let up steam, and has been complicating things for Sarah nicely. Though over the last few episodes elements of a police procedural have crept in, which I kind of hope doesn't become a long term focus. It's fun to play in, but I'm not sure how long Sarah can keep her impersonation of Beth up. I can see maybe a season max. Too much beyond that and I'll feel like I was tricked into watching another cop show. I'm willing to give the writers more credit than that, though, based on what we've seen so far.

We are given some hints about who exactly is trying to get rid of the clones. It's hinted at that Evil Clone belongs to some religious group. It'll be interesting to see if that's all there is to it or if it really was what Allison (Soccer Mom Clone) surmised and that they are an experiment that someone is trying to stop.

Speaking of Allison, I've got to hand it to her, once again, for adeptly playing Allison pretending to be Sarah. It was an all around great sequence.

And Evil Clone pretending to be Allison in a weird hat that should have caused a bit more alarm, I think! LOL. I thought that was great.

One thing I did have to laugh at a bit was the use of Kasmia (Dreadlocked Student Clone) because yes, she is studying to be a scientist. And she's smart. But they seem to be using her as a more catch-all brain box. I thought it was a bit funny she was the one who found out about the knife. I mean, I guess to be a student she has to be really good at research! So maybe it makes sense.

I still like Felix a lot. Is he a bit Nolan from Revenge? A bit. Except he's much more of an ordinary person along for the ride. But I enjoy his bits. I usually find them genuinely amusing.

I has the potential to be a pretty good show.

The problem is in the theme of the night "Supernatural Saturday" should be corrected to reflect the types of shows NOW aired. I know it's nitpicking but it does help lead others to view these excellent shows!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Man, the way they are propelling the story forward, it almost feels like there won't need to be a season 2! It's refreshing after the slow paces of other ongoing dramas these days. It's intriguing how much everything has changed from the start. It would be interesting to know if some of those people who didn't find anyone likable in the beginning have changed their minds? I really feel like Sarah has grown by leaps and bounds as a character, and I have really come to care for (and be invested in) the other clone's stories as well.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm loving this show!

I still can't believe how talented the lead actress is. Sure, each of the clones have their own obvious "quirks" and individual clothing styles and haircuts, but she is really delivering each and every single clone as a unique character. And then delivering yet another unique character when one of the clones is pretending to be another clone (e.g. Sarah pretending to be Alison).

I honestly forget that I am watching the same actor in some of the scenes, especially the most recent scene with Helena and Sarah at the cafe.

It's the current highlight of my week, especially when compared to the current seasons of some of my other once "favourite" shows like Doctor Who and Once Upon a Time.

Orphan Black comes back Saturday! So excited! I re-watched season one with the partner recently. It was just as good on a repeat viewing.