Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anti scalper packs

anti scalper packs

alot of the 2008 figures are going for big dollars on ebay. think TG could release limited edition 'hero' packs. 3 figures in 1. to offer them to people just discovering the line. to combat Scalpors. they could do a preorder to see if there is interest

I've been suggesting a 6-8 figure "All-Star" subscription including Beast-Man, Teela, Whiplash, Fisto, and others which currently sell for Hot-Toyesque prices. If enough people don't sub, it doesn't go forward. If it does, we get the figures and Matty gets our money......

I'd love for folks who missed these figures to get them but its does take up skus (i know people think thats just matty talk, but the do exisit and matter for a small line)

I would imagine based on past reissues sell through it would have to be a lot higher then what it is now,... but that doesn't mean stop, you never know but beat those drums harder guys.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It's going to take loads of new subscribers.

Hopefully the comic's advertising will get many to hop on the 2014 subscription.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

They've already stated numerous times that it's not happening. Also, people have to stop equating large dollar amounts on certain figures to a large *need* in these figures.

Just because some thing has a high dollar amount doesn't necessary mean that there's a HUGE demand for it. In a bunch of these cases it's just because they only had one run so there's no more to go around.

It's not like there's a ton of these on Ebay or any where else that's causing the price to sky rocket. It's again, because there just aren't that many up for sale so the price is through the roof. High prices don't always = tons of buyers.

There's a BIG difference in price on some thing when you literally have a handful of guys selling some thing vs. a number like let's say 50 guys selling some thing and 50 is a LOW number.

Just think about how the price would plummet if 50 guys where selling some thing which is still relatively low, but you can see how it effects market value.

For Mattel to do another run we're talking THOUSANDS of figures for any one run that need to be produced for it to be productive in which according to them that sort of demand simply isn't there.

I do believe that they also have plenty of data to prove that as well by now.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be great if some of these characters were produced again, but you have to look at it logically from all angles.

They would know better then any one if they think that they could move these and still turn a profit with all things considered and from the looks of it they feel that they can't.

If they'd care to take pre-orders for it, they would know for certain if that's profitable for them or not, and proceed accordingly.
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Man... every time I go to SDCC & am hangin' out at the Mattel plot of land I see many a geek walk by & say, "Can you buy these here?" & "I didn't even know these were out!" Sad thing is, they CAN'T buy them there because of how limited the figures are. They didn't know about the Classics line 'cause it wasn't thrown out there like most other toy lines.

I'm sure there's plenty of untapped fans out there who'd love to get their mitts on these awesome figures. A friend o' mine just got into collecting these figures & is having a heck of a time building up the awesome collection that most of us here at the .org have. Teela & Fisto are just two of the figures my friend wants & how many others want/need them too? How many of us who have one of each of those characters would like another to display with their extra gear? I've got one Fisto due to me bein' a subscriber & would love a second to display with his extra head & belt.

Now, daddy big bucks I am not & neither is my friend. In order to get Teela, Fisto, Shadow Weaver or various others we'd have to go the Dillinger/Bonnie & Clyde route just to afford 'em & that's not gonna happen. I feel that with the untapped fandom out there & the new fans just jumping in, there could be enough demand for Matty to turn on th' ol' toy makin' machine, pump out a few more of these figures & make s'more cash. Anyway they do it, through 3-Packs, a bundle of individual figures packed as a set like the recent "Secret Identity" & "Kidnap the Princess" packs would be welcome.
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post
    If they'd care to take pre-orders for it, they would know for certain if that's profitable for them or not, and proceed accordingly.
    Again though we don't know the specifics. For instance, perhaps management has stated after seeing figures sit around for years in storage "NO re-issues PERIOD!"

Or, the minimum might be so high that again they just know that it won't work no matter what from experience.

I'll use this example.....

Here's two SUPER popular characters that HAVE had re-issues, BUT have also been on sale numerous times and they STILL might even be sitting on more stock.

Trap Jaw

Man-at-arms

You can't really get any bigger then that so any character that you wanna use be it Teela, Fisto, Sorceress etc. they all fall in to the same boat and can be used as the blueprint.

If they have to offer figures like Trap Jaw and MAA over and over again at marked down Cyber Monday sales etc. "knowing that" why would they make an equal run of any of the "All Star" figures that people want in this "pre-order" system?

They already know using popular figures like these as an example to how many they can sell more or less and this is over a period of YEARS since those two have been around for awhile. That said, do you really then need a pre-order? There's enough data there to already gauge it.

At the end of the day you're in the same spot. Data like that tells you all you need to know which is why they're probably not doing it and telling us over and over again that it's not happening.

Just because there might be an immediate demand for a few thousand of these "All Star" figures doesn't mean that you can now roll off an order for some thing like 10k "if" that's where they may need to be to find it feasible...
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; April 11, 2013 at 07:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    Now, daddy big bucks I am not & neither is my friend. In order to get Teela, Fisto, Shadow Weaver or various others we'd have to go the Dillinger/Bonnie & Clyde route just to afford 'em & that's not gonna happen. I feel that with the untapped fandom out there & the new fans just jumping in, there could be enough demand for Matty to turn on th' ol' toy makin' machine, pump out a few more of these figures & make s'more cash. Anyway they do it, through 3-Packs, a bundle of individual figures packed as a set like the recent "Secret Identity" & "Kidnap the Princess" packs would be welcome.
    The recent "Secret Identity" & "Kidnap the Princess" packs were not packs at all, they were just the individual figures that were leftover reissue stock that didn't sell all the way thru. Matty just offered these together in a clever assortment bundle at a reduced price. Adding to the notion that reissues do not sell in the numbers needed to continue doing them.

a bundle of individual figures packed as a set like the recent "Secret Identity" & "Kidnap the Princess" packs would be welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    The recent "Secret Identity" & "Kidnap the Princess" packs were not packs at all, they were just the individual figures that were leftover reissue stock that didn't sell all the way thru. Matty just offered these together in a clever assortment bundle at a reduced price.
    Yep. I bought the "Secret Identity" pack & thought it was a great idea. Three figures bundled up at a reduced price. Do it again Matty!
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by GozzoMan View Post
    EXACTLY!

I don't know about SKUs. I'm sure Matty could figure out their internal issues if they believed there was money to be made. Core characters which have not been made in years, very few of which are even available on Ebay, really should be considered. A lot of new people came on in December with the CG pre-sale. More will come on with the comic and with the SDCC reveal in July. NONE of these new customers have a chance to buy Beast-Man in any form for less than $100 (and rising.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Again though we don't know the specifics. For instance, perhaps management has stated after seeing figures sit around for years in storage "NO re-issues PERIOD!"

Or, the minimum might be so high that again they just know that it won't work no matter what from experience.

I'll use this example.....

Here's two SUPER popular characters that HAVE had re-issues, BUT have also been on sale numerous times and they STILL might even be sitting on more stock.

Trap Jaw

Man-at-arms

You can't really get any bigger then that so any character that you wanna use be it Teela, Fisto, Sorceress etc. they all fall in to the same boat and can be used as the blueprint.

If they have to offer figures like Trap Jaw and MAA over and over again at marked down Cyber Monday sales etc. "knowing that" why would they make an equal run of any of the "All Star" figures that people want in this "pre-order" system?

They already know using popular figures like these as an example to how many they can sell more or less and this is over a period of YEARS since those two have been around for awhile. That said, do you really then need a pre-order? There's enough data there to already gauge it.

At the end of the day you're in the same spot. Data like that tells you all you need to know which is why they're probably not doing it and telling us over and over again that it's not happening.

Just because there might be an immediate demand for a few thousand of these "All Star" figures doesn't mean that you can now roll off an order for some thing like 10k "if" that's where they may need to be to find it feasible...
    You're talking re-issue. I'm talking subscription. There's no risk and minimal warehousing involved with a subscription.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. I bought the "Secret Identity" pack & thought it was a great idea. Three figures bundled up at a reduced price. Do it again Matty!
    I got the kidnap the princess pack and regretted not getting the Secret Identity pack too!

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I got the kidnap the princess pack and regretted not getting the Secret Identity pack too!
    And I wanted the "Kidnap the Princess" pack but couldn't afford both sets at the time. Maybe someday Matty will offer these bundle packs again & we can get 'em They really are a great idea on Mattel's part. (Matty, I'm givin' you you're due on that one )
    I want my other half.

And I wanted the "Kidnap the Princess" pack but couldn't afford both sets at the time. Maybe someday Matty will offer these bundle packs again & we can get 'em They really are a great idea on Mattel's part. (Matty, I'm givin' you you're due on that one )
    I bought the Orko and Adam set by itself a couple weeks ago and spent $45. $55 plus shipping with two more figures would have been a MUCH better deal! I just didn't have the money for both right then....

The problem/complaint I foresee is that if they DID do a sub with 6 figures then there will ALWAYS be a figure in that set of 6 that someone has. THey will get made they are "forced" to buy some figure just to get the fisto or teela that they really wanted. They only way to do it correctly is to do a pre-order for single figures which they have already said the wouldn't do sadly.

See, that is the thing. They lost money doing this. Why would they want to have to do something like this on purpose? They only didi it to clear out old, non moving stock.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    The problem/complaint I foresee is that if they DID do a sub with 6 figures then there will ALWAYS be a figure in that set of 6 that someone has. THey will get made they are "forced" to buy some figure just to get the fisto or teela that they really wanted. They only way to do it correctly is to do a pre-order for single figures which they have already said the wouldn't do sadly.

See, that is the thing. They lost money doing this. Why would they want to have to do something like this on purpose? They only didi it to clear out old, non moving stock.
    Long-time customers are likely to have many of the top 6-8 rarest and most expensive figures.
    Middle-term customers will have 1-2.
    New and newer customers will have none.

6 figures at $27 each would cost each subscriber $162 plus shipping.... or the price of ONE of these figures at current prices. That's a bargain however you slice it.

Personally, I was lucky enough to get Ram-Man. I could imagine him in this set. And I would have no problem having a second one to use his alternate head on.
    Last edited by No-Ah; April 11, 2013 at 09:50pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I came into the line late and got caught up by buying from people on here and ebay, I paid what I had to get what I wanted. Now that I have everything I need and am caught up I buy/sell on the side for a side business, this line and others. I know this isn't going to be a popular post but many people on here want great prices when they wanna buy stuff but when it's their turn to sell the prices suddenly sky rocket. I guess you'd call me one of the scalpers, but unfortunately the figures didn't just land in my hand free and when you buy large collections the only way you make your money back is selling the rarer figures for the going rates. I do my best to be fair and I think almost anyone who has dealt with me can attest to that but some people are just unrealistic in regards to pricing. The bottom line is this, every collectible toy line has rare figures that cost more and this line is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    I came into the line late and got caught up by buying from people on here and ebay, I paid what I had to get what I wanted. Now that I have everything I need and am caught up I buy/sell on the side for a side business, this line and others. I know this isn't going to be a popular post but many people on here want great prices when they wanna buy stuff but when it's their turn to sell the prices suddenly sky rocket. I guess you'd call me one of the scalpers, but unfortunately the figures didn't just land in my hand free and when you buy large collections the only way you make your money back is selling the rarer figures for the going rates. I do my best to be fair and I think almost anyone who has dealt with me can attest to that but some people are just unrealistic in regards to pricing. The bottom line is this, every collectible toy line has rare figures that cost more and this line is no different.
    I do this exact same thing. I found the line in December. I have bought many on ebay and have sold a few to make a profit. It's really the only way I can afford to collect them all. When you get in the game this late you almost have to unless you have unlimited money.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorek View Post
    I do this exact same thing. I found the line in December. I have bought many on ebay and have sold a few to make a profit. It's really the only way I can afford to collect them all. When you get in the game this late you almost have to unless you have unlimited money.
    Pretty much ya.

Yeah, I get it. When you were a kid you had to walk to school....in the snow....uphill...both ways.

But the prices were far lower a year ago. And the prices will be higher in a few months once the comicbook hits and they do the Grayskull reveal. We will begin to see figures over $200 before the end of this year. That's too much.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I get it. When you were a kid you had to walk to school....in the snow....uphill...both ways.

But the prices were far lower a year ago. And the prices will be higher in a few months once the comicbook hits and they do the Grayskull reveal. We will begin to see figures over $200 before the end of this year. That's too much.
    Oh, I get it, only your opinion matters. Gotcha!

Don't like it, don't buy it! That's the way the world works.

Oh, I get it, only your opinion matters. Gotcha!

Don't like it, don't buy it! That's the way the world works.
    I don't recall anyone saying anything like that.

I haven't bought any MOTUC figures for over $50 and I will not buy any of the $100 and up figures. But I would be very happy if Matty saw that there was money to be made by allowing newer customers to buy core figures that have gone out of print. A business plan which ONLY caters to an older, loyal, but shrinking customer base is a plan without a future. They need to cater to both old and new fans. They'll make more money that way!

Even Hot Toys knows well enough to keep coming out with new versions of Batman and Joker, instead of worrying overmuch about secondary market prices.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't recall anyone saying anything like that.

I haven't bought any MOTUC figures for over $50 and I will not buy any of the $100 and up figures. But I would be very happy if Matty saw that there was money to be made by allowing newer customers to buy core figures that have gone out of print. A business plan which ONLY caters to an older, loyal, but shrinking customer base is a plan without a future. They need to cater to both old and new fans. They'll make more money that way!

Even Hot Toys knows well enough to keep coming out with new versions of Batman and Joker, instead of worrying overmuch about secondary market prices.
    I understand what you and others wants, and hopefully for you guys it works out but it has been stated numerous times they don't want to do reissues again. I guess for me I just wanted what I wanted and paid for it but you don't feel the same way which is fair.

I just want people to understand why people like me have to sell the fisto/teela/Wundars at the prices we do.

I understand what you and others wants, and hopefully for you guys it works out but it has been stated numerous times they don't want to do reissues again. I guess for me I just wanted what I wanted and paid for it but you don't feel the same way which is fair.

I just want people to understand why people like me have to sell the fisto/teela/Wundars at the prices we do.
    I have no complaints about you selling whatever you sell for the best possible price you can get. That's capitalism.

I have 22 MOTUC figures now. I started in December. But, I do also have a few 200x guys as well to fill in some holes. My Whiplash is standing there next to MOTUC Skeletor and my 200x Beast-Man is riding the Griffin. No, neither is as good as their MOTUC version, but are they $150 lesser? For now, I'd rather have the 200x version and my Joker 2.0 DX. I love the MOTUC figures, but not enough to pass over a Hot Toys figure for one.

Also, I am not asking for a re-issue. I get that a re-issue is a risk for Matty. A subscription All-Star line would only move forward with enough subscribers and there would be no risk for Matty. It's a completely different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Mattel might've lost money, broke even or made a small profit. (One of only three outcomes.) If those figures were from older stock, they cost less to make as opposed to modern production costs & were originally sold at a cheaper price to begin with. A He-Man figure on sale for $27 right now on Matty's site could be one that was made a few years back that would've cost us $20 or $22 a year or two ago. Didn't they cease production on He-Man & Skeletor? I'm not here lookin' to start debating "first-in, first-out" or anything like that, I'm just wanting those who don't have these awesome figures to be able to get them from the source at a reasonable price. If Matty can re-release some figures & sell them bundled up at a reasonable price for my fellow fans & still make a profit, then by all means, let it happen.

Masters of the Universe Classics for all, that's my motto.
    I want my other half.

We have to keep some things in mind.

first year figures had an initial run, and several got a second run. most of the first year figures initial run was the same number of units. So all figures that didn't get a second run do have fewer units out there.

The problem is mattel found the roughly magic number of units for fairly popular figures. That number is not the initial run + a second reissue run, it's somewhere in between at that point they increased the initial amount made and did packaging with and without the original burst on it.

The reason they made a higher initial run is because there is a minimum order amount for figures to be made, that has a specific cost point on it. You can order less but the cost to go into production of the units stays the same. This becomes a problem with secondary runs because you lose money either by keeping the figures at cost and not increasing to account for the more money spent on production per unit, or lose money by making too much stock that ends up not selling which then takes up warehouse space which makes it harder to put new stock in. Then you have to clearance it out and either make little off the units or make negative off of them. BTW this is more likely the real reason for the large price jump this year, some figures will be under the number of units, which the magic number is 5000.

As for new collectors. I picked the line up around August, and I counted and I have 36 figures + Battle-cat and Swiftwind. King He-man I got off BBT for 75, Teela I paid 130 for off Ebay. Six figures plus the two mounts on black Friday for under price. Seven figures off matty either day of, or on resell date. Three figures off BBT late last year for about ~30 each. The rest of the figures I have paid no more than about 40 for them shipped. Some were far under the value they were going for at the time, like a ~20 dollar Beastman and 45 for Sorceress and Catra. Those figures I got on black Friday and the deals I have gotten from .orgers off set the cost on the two figures I spent the most on. So I do know the pains of the cost of some of this stuff. I can also say at this point aside from Fisto and Orko I have every figure I had as a child. Fisto I am not paying that much for, and Orko I have a 200x which looks just fine and I don't have to worry about getting rid of an Adam or go into OCD and get Marlena, Randor, Adora. But on that last one I don't want Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker either so.

I would love for them to reissue several of those figures, but the reality is it's probably not going to happen. I campaign with you so others don't have to spend the cash but I realize again the likelihood of it happening isn't likely right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Mattel might've lost money, broke even or made a small profit. (One of only three outcomes.) If those figures were from older stock, they cost less to make as opposed to modern production costs & were originally sold at a cheaper price to begin with. A He-Man figure on sale for $27 right now on Matty's site could be one that was made a few years back that would've cost us $20 or $22 a year or two ago. Didn't they cease production on He-Man & Skeletor? I'm not here lookin' to start debating "first-in, first-out" or anything like that, I'm just wanting those who don't have these awesome figures to be able to get them from the source at a reasonable price. If Matty can re-release some figures & sell them bundled up at a reasonable price for my fellow fans & still make a profit, then by all means, let it happen.

Masters of the Universe Classics for all, that's my motto.
    He-man and Skeletor are the biggest sellers, they basically made a mega crap ton of them because of it and likely haven't made any in awhile. In my other portion of what is probably this post now the cost went up more likely because of cuts to production numbers not cost of plastic.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it