Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof that the SKELETEEN concept came from the late 1980's...

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar

Proof that the SKELETEEN concept came from the late 1980's...

Well, apparently eagle eyed 13977 was digging through this screen shot from the powerpoint presentation of the MOTUC reveals back in July of 2011 (at 2011 SDC) and noticed an interesting factoid -

Notice one the very last line it says "meet SkeleTeen on his own ground."

This seems to be proof that the name SkeleTeen did indeed originate from the old New Adventures ("Dare armor" version) prototype material from the late eighties/early nineties...and shows that Scott Neitlich didn't just come up with the name like some have speculated

I hope one day we get to see the whole early-NA/Dare/Skeleteen bible as it's prob got some super interesting infos in it!

(I feel particularly stupid as I actually tried to decipher the above back when it was shown at SDCC 2011, and completely missed the SkeleTeen bit! Duh!!!)

--------------------

EDIT: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason one of the versions of NA Skeletor had a pony tail, was because he was based on the design for a cool early-nineties teen SkeleTeen, and that design got carried over when they decided to stick with Skeletor as the main villain...

Last edited by MISSILE-TOE; March 31, 2013 at 09:19pm.
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Come up with it on his own or rescued a canned idea from the past. It doesn't matter, it's still a silly name.

Just watch. Next Dare won't turn into 'He-Ro', but will become 'He-Teen'.
    Last edited by Masamune; March 31, 2013 at 09:28pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I am really glad it turned out to be a concept from the 80's as I know there have been some who have doubted this and often want to call into question everything Scott says or claims - glad this seems to be proof he is genuin.

Still the name is really annoying.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Skeleteen is a horrible name.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

I don't mind the concept for moving the story forward, wish he wasn't the villain wish he came out good. The problem I and many others have is the name is just bad even for a toyline with the names it has in it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Good catch

I think for many people it doesn't matter of it was made in the late 80's or in 2013...Skeleteen is a terrible...terrible name. And this is a line with names like Clawful or Castaspella (sorry I love you sweetie but you have a very silly name )
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    It doesn't matter, it's still a silly name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Still the name is really annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The problem I and many others have is the name is just bad even for a toyline with the names it has in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    ...Skeleteen is a terrible...terrible name.
    Well then...I guess if everyone hates the name...we can just ignore it and call him The UNNAMED ONE instead...
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post

EDIT: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason one of the versions of NA Skeletor had a pony tail, was because he was based on the design for a cool early-nineties teen SkeleTeen, and that design got carried over when they decided to stick with Skeletor as the main villain...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/..._back_full.jpg

http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image...evealed_02.jpg
    So that is why NA skeletor's face looks like a mask, with the human eyes!!! because its based on skeleteen's face design and not vintage skeletor's face!!!! Amazing!

Heroic Warrior
    First of all... this He-ro thing, actually kind of makes NA palatible for me.... The reason he bears no resemblence to Adam and eternia we know... .is because it ISN'T. Same with Skeletor... NA Skeletor = Skeletor's son??? Explains the attitude.... umm... let's just say 'inconsistency'...

THAT said.... I REALLY hoped that 'Skeleteen' was a stupid nickname that was floating around before we got an official name for the kid'. Because... YEAH, that's one of the worst names in the history of bad guys. Feel free to call him that like 'Green Godddess' was really 'Goddess' or... ummm... Gosh, I know there were some prototype guys that we never had names for.... Horde mummy maybe? If they actually released a toy with the name "skeleteen'... I'd be seriously ticked.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    maybe is not a name, but a despective nickname the masters use to call this skeletor wanna be... like "look here comes skeleteen, we are soooo scared now..."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    First of all... this He-ro thing, actually kind of makes NA palatible for me.... The reason he bears no resemblence to Adam and eternia we know... .is because it ISN'T. Same with Skeletor... NA Skeletor = Skeletor's son??? Explains the attitude.... umm... .
    It also explains why skeletor face looks like a mask and he has human eyes!!!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Yeah, it's an aweful name regardless of when it was created or by whom. As goofy as some MOTU names can be, none of them are in any way related to the character's age. What the hell happens when 'Skeleteen' turns 20? And what did they call him from when he was born through the age of 12?

I actually do hope that we get a Dare/He-Ro figure at some point because I actually do like at least some aspects of that 'bible' for the proposed cartoon from 1996. But as I recall from that specific version (it's been a while since I've read it), it dealt with Dare taking over the power sword, but Skeletor was still the main villain. I don't recall Skeletor having a son in that bible. And that works IMO since with Skeletor being such a magic based being regardless of which origin you prefer for him, he could potentially be the kind of villain that continues to exist for multiple generations. There is no need for there to even be an offspring of Skeletor. But if one will exist regardless, at least give him a better name... and a better look for that matter. Don't make him look like a rejected villain concept for Biker Mice From Mars.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I had no reason NOT to believe that NA actually was He-Ro at first, but it's very nice to see proof, and old creative material like this.

But I think this must also debunk the general belief that Lou Scheimer thought up He-Ro Son of He-Man.

It's also very possible Skeleteen was just a placeholder name, which may or may not have gone the distance.

About characters with an age descriptor in their name we have Eldor.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I know someone named Marteen. She's not a teenager. We are all assuming that the "teen" at his end is in reference to his age, but it just might be the end of his name. Maybe they should have spelled it Skeletene?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I know someone named Marteen. She's not a teenager. We are all assuming that the "teen" at his end is in reference to his age, but it just might be the end of his name. Maybe they should have spelled it Skeletene?
    It's the case of precedence in the line. Teela, Zodac, and Orko really are the only ones who names aren't based on a description of the character.
    Last edited by wyldman11; March 31, 2013 at 11:51pm.

It's the case of precedence in the line. Teela, Zodac, and Orko really are the only ones who names are based on a description of the character.
    I get that concept...being a fan the past 30 years of my life. Just trying to put a positive spin on something. And I wouldn't really say Zodac is exempt from that.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Skelebaby, Skeletoddler, Skeleteen, Skeledult, Skelesenior...is that how his name will change as he ages?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I get that concept...being a fan the past 30 years of my life. Just trying to put a positive spin on something. And I wouldn't really say Zodac is exempt from that.
    Well yeah, I just tend to slip that since I never really got into all that stuff.

And I understand you were trying to put a positive spin on it. There is also the issue of pronunciation, skela-teen sounds goofier then skeel-teen or skel-teen for example.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Skelebaby, Skeletoddler, Skeleteen, Skeledult, Skelesenior...is that how his name will change as he ages?
    I was thinking the same thing.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

It's also very possible Skeleteen was just a placeholder name, which may or may not have gone the distance.

About characters with an age descriptor in their name we have Eldor.
    I could see that. Cobra-La in G.I. Joe: The Movie was meant to be just a place holder name by Buzz Dixon, but Hasbro ended up liking it, which Dixon wasn't too thrilled about.

But, "He-Man" isn't silly at all...
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

O-Val-Teen!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    So that is why NA skeletor's face looks like a mask, with the human eyes!!! because its based on skeleteen's face design and not vintage skeletor's face!!!! Amazing!
    There's nothing to indicate that. None of Mattel's Skeletor figures have ever had eyes, just glowing red sockets, and that includes the New Adventures ones. Only the Jetlag cartoon depicted Skeletor with eyeballs.

To me it doesn't matter if the SkeleTeen name (and design?) is from the 80s or not, it's still terrible. I certainly don't consider it "too cool not to use" (Neitlich's words). It should have stayed in the trash where it belongs.

This is exactly how I think of it. Makes the name not seem so bad. Besides if they named him something different, a petition thread would pop up about how they need to change the name to Skeleteen to keep with the source material and stay true to the original.

You posted this a day early; April Fools is on the 1st.