Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof that the SKELETEEN concept came from the late 1980's...

Cool information (I was initially expecting this to be an April Fool's Joke). I'm all for weird, unused concepts to make their way into MOTUC, so I think this is rather neat.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    maybe is not a name, but a despective nickname the masters use to call this skeletor wanna be... like "look here comes skeleteen, we are soooo scared now..."
    Yeah, cool suggestion. Makes sense that the name could be more of a derogatory taunt.

I like the name because it's so absurd. As if he was born a teenager and will be one for the rest of eternity. Maybe that's his curse.
    Last edited by Light; April 1, 2013 at 12:33pm.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

MISSILE-TOE - Hey man thanks for giving me credit for this Wish I'd known you and Kevann had already transcribed most of it, it would have saved my hours of squniting at my monitor

Here's my current version of it:

He-Ro and The New Masters

In addition to Darius and Madre?. He-Ro gathers about him a fighting force of all the leaders of the planet:

HYDRON – Hydron is a warrior from the underwater city of Serus. He is a masterful aquatic warrior who can swim underwater for hours. His people have developed a sophisticated marine technology. and Hydron brings this expertise to the Master's cause. He can also communicate with certain variates of marine life.

ICARIUS – Icarius is a ???? from the floating city of Levitan. He is a master of aerial combat and is more at home in the air than on land. With his jet powered wings he is a most capable ally.

VIZAR – Vizar comes from the underground city of Onnor. He is a skilled tunneller and can blast his way through most materials. He is a master spy and can blast in and out of any fortress.

Nocturna – This noble warrior is schooled in a different discipline - even as old as that of the Masters themselves. He can sneak into the middle of the enemy camp in the middle of the night unnoticed and disarm his opponent? without their knowledge.

In addition to these living allies, He-Ro still has the Javelon, the vehicle Man-at-Arms built for him so long ago. This versatile? space craft carries him and his loyal followers through space to meet SkeleTeen on his own ground.

I really hope Scott will post this full bible one day, soon

I'm interested in seeing if this bible contains a sketch of the Madre? character. I suspect this character might have even eventually become Tatarus/Kayo as he is noticeably absent from this page. In case anybody is wondering, there is no way this is Mara (or became Mara) as Mara was created by Jack Olesker for the NA cartoon a few years later.

Interesting to note the cities of Serus, Levitan and Onnor all made it to the final version of NA,
    The Starship Eternia also has a different name which I can't quite make out, I notice you guys think it could be Javelin or Javelon.

I'd love to know if name Dare actually appears in this early Mattel bible or if Scott is actually pulling it from the later HR SOHM cartoon bible. I suspect it isn't in it and wouldn't be surprised to find out that the use of the name He-Ro in these two bibles is a total coincidence.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    Not a big fan of the name, but a character based on the image from the comic would be cool.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I could see that. Cobra-La in G.I. Joe: The Movie was meant to be just a place holder name by Buzz Dixon, but Hasbro ended up liking it, which Dixon wasn't too thrilled about.
    Yeah, I read that article in a recent GI Joe Collectors Club Magazine. "Dixon wasn't too thrilled" is a polite way to phrase it.

Concerning Skeleteen... years ago (2 or so years after NA ended), the topic of MOTU came up in a conversation and a friend of a friend joked that Skeletor actually had a green "Mohawk" hairdo. 'Tis strange...
    ne jabba no badda!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilestwarrior View Post
    This is exactly how I think of it. Makes the name not seem so bad. Besides if they named him something different, a petition thread would pop up about how they need to change the name to Skeleteen to keep with the source material and stay true to the original.
    Darned if you do darned if you don't! I think if the MOTU Classics team is using a character of concept already documented somewhere, they should use the name already given to a character. Since Skeletors son is not a new concept and he had already been given the name Skeleteen, that is the name that should be used in classics. Even if it was a discarded idea for NA. Classics is about paying homage to the history of MOTU and bringing it all together. The only exceptions should be when there are legal restrictions involved like Icarius/Flipshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Darned if you do darned if you don't! I think if the MOTU Classics team is using a character of concept already documented somewhere, they should use the name already given to a character. Since Skeletors son is not a new concept and he had already been given the name Skeleteen, that is the name that should be used in classics. Even if it was a discarded idea for NA. Classics is about paying homage to the history of MOTU and bringing it all together. The only exceptions should be when there are legal restrictions involved like Icarius/Flipshot.
    I think they could use it like a taunt, kind of Skeletor and bonehead.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Much as "Skeleteen" makes even me cringe (and I have no problem with "Snout Spout"), this is actually a good argument for keeping the name. A big part of this line is nostalgia, even for those things that never actually got made.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Much as "Skeleteen" makes even me cringe (and I have no problem with "Snout Spout"), this is actually a good argument for keeping the name. A big part of this line is nostalgia, even for those things that never actually got made.
    Kinda my thinking too.

Skeleteen was never introduced, so we don't know for sure if that name would have actually been used. It's possible that Skeleteen could have been a "placeholder" name until something worthy was thought up.

The name Skeletor sounds evil and imposes fear, even if you didn't know who he was.

Skeleteen is quite the opposite. I picture his enemies laughing when they hear his name. It truly is a sad predicament for the son of the Overlord of Evil.

I understand nostalgia and wanting to pay homage to characters "true" origins, however, Skeletor's son isn't some random character or concept. A character as important as the son of Skeletor, who brings the story forward and could be the future of MOTU, deserves better.

I'm on Scott's side with 99.9% of the way this line has been handled, but this is a big mistake.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

can it be used as a derogatory name instead of his REAL "Codename"? Cause it sounds to dorky to be used seriously.
    "I am Skeleteen, Overlord of EVIL and Eternia WILL BE MINE!!" does not inspire fear like his father did.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

About time

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    The name Skeletor sounds evil and imposes fear, even if you didn't know who he was.

Skeleteen is quite the opposite. I picture his enemies laughing when they hear his name. It truly is a sad predicament for the son of the Overlord of Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    can it be used as a derogatory name instead of his REAL "Codename"? Cause it sounds to dorky to be used seriously.
    "I am Skeleteen, Overlord of EVIL and Eternia WILL BE MINE!!" does not inspire fear like his father did.
    "Dad, can I borrow the keys to the Collector? There's this village I really want to raid."

"Now son, we've talked about this. You don't even have your Eternian learner's permit yet. You can only go if your mother drives you."

"Man...that's so bogus, dad! None of the other villains have to have their moms drive them to their raids. It's so unfair. I hate you!"

"Ha ha ha! That's my Skeleteen!"
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 1, 2013 at 06:05pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Any body out there have a picture of him from the comic yet or is that impossible to get. And is skeleteen going to be imbued with a part of demo-man as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    "Dad, can I borrow the keys to the Collector? There's this village I really want to raid."

"Now son, we've talked about this. You don't even have your Eternian learner's permit yet. You can only go if your mother drives you."

"Man...that's so bogus, dad! None of the other villains have to have their moms drive them to their raids. It's so unfair. I hate you!"

"Ha ha ha! That's my Skeleteen!"
    If we could like posts, I would have liked the living daylights out of this post, o Evil One!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I hope the name Skeleteen eventually gets changed. Here's how I can palate it:

- He gets teased by others because he's Skeletor's son "He's some kind of 'Skeleteen'"

So, that's how he gets his name, it's a nickname that sticks (I'm sure we all know those ones we hate, like that ). Anyway, over time as he steps out of his father's shadow, I would like to see him gain his own name. Something like...I don't know...Devestation! That could be good.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Yes! My wishes came true! Nice one Mattel.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Very good, but that name has got to be changed.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by michaelAschamp View Post
    Any body out there have a picture of him from the comic yet or is that impossible to get. And is skeleteen going to be imbued with a part of demo-man as well.
    He was born pre-Skeletor so I doubt it. I suspect he was not named Skeleteen, but took the name and wears a skull mask to honor his father.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I hope the name Skeleteen eventually gets changed. Here's how I can palate it:

- He gets teased by others because he's Skeletor's son "He's some kind of 'Skeleteen'"

So, that's how he gets his name, it's a nickname that sticks (I'm sure we all know those ones we hate, like that ).
    Like I said a lot of post ago!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Like I said a lot of post ago!

Since the name has not appeared in an official capacity, I really hope Mattel will be persuaded to change it before that time comes. It just doesn't fit. I don't believe it's a situation like Demo Man where the name was originally met with some push back and then more widely accepted down the road. I believe Skeleteen is a bad name now and will still be a bad name no matter how long it sticks around.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    How can we have nostalgia for something we only just recently became aware of? The fact that it was created 20 - 30 years ago means nothing if this info was essentially 'locked in a vault' with the entire fanbase and probably most Mattel employees who came to the company after the vintage MOTU/NA days didn't even know anything about until it was recently uncovered?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Since the name has not appeared in an official capacity, I really hope Mattel will be persuaded to change it before that time comes. It just doesn't fit. I don't believe it's a situation like Demo Man where the name was originally met with some push back and then more widely accepted down the road. I believe Skeleteen is a bad name now and will still be a bad name no matter how long it sticks around.
    I still think Demo Man is a terrible name!

Skeleteen is definately worse, though.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    How can we have nostalgia for something we only just recently became aware of? The fact that it was created 20 - 30 years ago means nothing if this info was essentially 'locked in a vault' with the entire fanbase and probably most Mattel employees who came to the company after the vintage MOTU/NA days didn't even know anything about until it was recently uncovered?

- - - Updated - - -

I still think Demo Man is a terrible name!

Skeleteen is definately worse, though.
    Nostalgia is only part of what this line represents. It also represents history and bringing to life concepts and ideas that never made it to the past toy lines or even well known lore. Personally, I love that this line incorporates all past incarnations of the MOTU world and that it brings in elements that were "locked in the vault" that we would have never known about if not for this line. I mean, look at all the information that has come to light because of this line! I appreciate that Scott and the Motu Classics team preserve the history and the intentions of past artists and story tellers, even when their choices in names and story lines were not necessarily inspired choices.

I want to be clear, I am not a fan of the name Skeleteen, but I very much appreciate that they are using it since it was originally the name he was going to be given. We don't know if it was a "placeholder" or not, as far as we know this is the only or one of only a few references to his name and speculating that it was a placehold does nothing because, as far as we know, no other name was ever recorded and no notes that we are aware of note Skeleteen as being a "placeholder" name. I'm also sure Skeleteen will not be his real name, so I will be interested to learn his real name.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Kinda my thinking too.
    What?

TG, how can something be nostalgic when we've never heard of it?

No one has been desiring a Skeleteen toy for 20 years. Unlike He-Ro, Eldor, Star Sister, Mara or Darius, no one was clamoring for this guy, so there is no nostalgia that gives that lame Skeleteen name an automatic pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Word as bond!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Characters with corny names and designs that look typical of the era from which they originated have no place in MOTU!!!