Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proof that the SKELETEEN concept came from the late 1980's...

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    A bad name and bad concept is a bad name and a bad concept. Sorry Skeleteen, you are not nostalgia worthy.

I feel the same way with the Dare/He-Ro Filmation cartoon pitch, just not worthy of Masters of the Universe. Interesting historical tidbits, but let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    We don't know if it was a "placeholder" or not, as far as we know this is the only or one of only a few references to his name and speculating that it was a placehold does nothing because, as far as we know, no other name was ever recorded and no notes that we are aware of note Skeleteen as being a "placeholder" name.
    I never said Skeleteen WAS a "placeholder", just that it could've been.

Point is, when a character with as much significance as the son of Skeletor could have, has an incredibly lame and unintimidating name, it's not a bad idea to think up a more credible name. I mean this is a character that could define the future of MOTU!!

Even without using the name Skeleteen, that era's history and characters can be done justice. Not everything has to be followed to a T to pay homage to past ideas.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    A bad name and bad concept is a bad name and a bad concept. Sorry Skeleteen, you are not nostalgia worthy.

I feel the same way with the Dare/He-Ro Filmation cartoon pitch, just not worthy of Masters of the Universe. Interesting historical tidbits, but let's leave it at that.
    I agree on both points!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I never said Skeleteen WAS a "placeholder", just that it could've been.

Point is, when a character with as much significance as the son of Skeletor could have, has an incredibly lame and unintimidating name, it's not a bad idea to think up a more credible name. I mean this is a character that could define the future of MOTU!!

Even without using the name Skeleteen, that era's history and characters can be done justice. Not everything has to be followed to a T to pay homage to past ideas.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you said the name was might have been a placehold, I continued on into speaking on what someone else had said regarding the name being a placeholder.

And to be honest, there is no name that Scott could have come up with that he would not be torn apart for by a percentage of the fan base. At least by using Skeleteen he's using a name that was already developed for the character. Like I said earlier, Scott will always be in the predicament of Darned if you do, Darned if you don't.

lol Skeleteen......

The idea that "SkeleTeen" was being used as a placeholder is not all that far fetched an idea.

All the other names on that sheet are serious names... "SkeleTeen" just doesn't have the same flavor.

Placeholder names/words/ideas are used ALL the time in TV, Film, Music, etc. Placeholder lyrics are often hilarious.

The idea that it was a teenage Skeletor may have lead to "SkeleTeen" - Think about it, creating a name for Skeletor's heir was probably a tall order, and it wouldn't surprise me if the people writing this particular pitch used the name "SkeleTeen" as a placeholder.

I do hope it was a placeholder... and I like Eric's/Darkspecter's concept that it is a pejorative nickname used for Skeletor & Evil-Lyn's son.

Some ideas don't come to fruition because they aren't that great... this is one of them. I'm not sure why Scott wants to use that name... there have to be other names they could use... or create...

It's also interesting that he is fighting for this particular pitch, when other concepts that people have requested (Horde Mummy, Green Witch, He-Ra, Illumina) have been met with less enthusiasm... I just think the customers' reactions are what are key in a collector line.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The idea that "SkeleTeen" was being used as a placeholder is not all that far fetched an idea.

Placeholder names/words/ideas are used ALL the time in TV, Film, Music, etc. Placeholder lyrics are often hilarious.

The idea that it was a teenage Skeletor may have lead to "SkeleTeen" - Think about it, creating a name for Skeletor's heir was probably a tall order, and it wouldn't surprise me if the people writing this particular pitch used the name "SkeleTeen" as a placeholder.
    This is giving WAY too much credit and thought to it (I feel), but it could also not be his name, either. Instead of it being a pejorative name by others (he IS a teenager, after all), maybe he thinks it sounds cool, or he's trying to prove that he can do more than his father did in a shorter amount of time ("I was only a teenager when I conquered He-Ro!").

Kind of like how the Red Mist became...
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Warrior
    It's also interesting that he is fighting for this particular pitch, when other concepts that people have requested (Horde Mummy, Green Witch, He-Ra, Illumina) have been met with less enthusiasm... I just think the customers' reactions are what are key in a collector line.
    True, Brian...with some caveats

1. Isn't it the case that Mattel can't make the Horde Mummy or Green Witch (maybe He-Ra too)? I thought Scott said they can't make those characters because they don't own the artwork that was published in that magazine.

2. "Skeleteen" as a concept was originated at Mattel, while Illumina was not. I would like an Illumina figure, but isn't there an argument to be made that the stuff orginated in house at Mattel should have some kind of priority over other concepts?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like the idea - HATE the name, the more I hear it and start "getting used to it" the more preposterous it sounds. Why can't he have a cool name like Despera?
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Heroic Warrior
    I kinda like the name Skeleteen. I keep imagining Skeletor's son looking like a (more) sadistic Lord Raptor. Though it would also be cool if he worked for someone else.

Tell you what, I'm really starting to love this concept! All it needs is a few sidekicks. I'm thinking one could be named Fraylock (a big floating padlock head, evil baliff), one called Shayk (turban with a hookah pipe sticking out at the top, seismic powers), and one called Meat-Waddle (a huge decomposing zombie warrior).

Together they will combine to create the Skeleteen Monster Force!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Maybe Skeeleteen was in lou of the Ninja Turtle sensation of the late 80s early 90s, I could only imagine that Mattel was clamoring to anything that would put He-man side to side with the turtles.

I couldn't be more uninterested in the adventures of He-teens or Skeleteens. King He-man is enough. Please try to flesh out some more of the NA figures instead. I feel like 2014 will be filled with A-dare and Skeleteen and I wont have it.

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Horde Prime was looking to create a new team of Evil Warriors for the next generation, so he enlisted the aid of Multibot to help him find five teenagers with attitude. The chosen five were Skeleteen, Beastfreshman, Ac-nor, Biebor, and Braceor!

Go, go, Hormonal Pubescent Evil Warriors!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    "Skeleteen" sounds like an insult that Dare would throw at the guy, rather than call him by his real name. Kind of like how He-Man would call Skeletor "Bonehead" in the Filmation cartoon. If they make this guy into an action figure, I trully hope they don't call him Skeleteen, as that just sounds terrible.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Yo, yo, yo, but can Skeleteen rippity rap? T-t-t-top that!

Uh!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    True, Brian...with some caveats

1. Isn't it the case that Mattel can't make the Horde Mummy or Green Witch (maybe He-Ra too)? I thought Scott said they can't make those characters because they don't own the artwork that was published in that magazine.

2. "Skeleteen" as a concept was originated at Mattel, while Illumina was not. I would like an Illumina figure, but isn't there an argument to be made that the stuff orginated in house at Mattel should have some kind of priority over other concepts?
    There are problems with some of the characters, true, but some, like Illumina, aren't among them. THe argument that Mattel stuff should have priority regardless, though, is one of our problems here. The figures are not being made for Mattel, and it isn't Mattel who is buying them. If there is far more demand from the actual customers for a figure like Illumina than for an in-house concept like Skeleteen, then, from a purely business perspective, which figure should be made? The one that has a better likelyhood of selling more units. The bottom line is, this is not TG's or Mattel's sandbox, where everything is done to appease their tastes. The line is paid for by the fans; without us, there is no line. So the most important consideration is which figures are the fans going to be more excited about and likely to buy. From the general reaction, it doesn't sound like Skeleteen is generating much but guffaws.

Keep in mind, I love the concept stuff, seeing things that could have been finally made, and the nostalgic part of me has no problems with some of the goofier names in the line. Honestly, He-Man is one of the goofiest ones from a purely objective viewpoint. I'm kind of torn on this, honestly, but I really don't think it's going to have much of an impact on the line, overall. We'll be lucky to get Dare/He-Ro, much less Skeletor's progeny at this point. Me, I'd really rather they concentrated on the unproduced Lou Scheimer show if we're going into Dare's story, as it was more fully developed, whereas the whole Skeleteen version of the story was outright aboandoned in favor of the NA story, if anything more is to be done figure-wise.

Given the state of things right now, it's likely all academic for the next year, at least. Something like He-Ro, son of He-Man, isn't going to get much attention when the emphasis is on finishing up the vintage stuff.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Skeleteen also kind of resembles the Grim Reaper action figure from the Bill & Ted action figure line (his toy look differed greatly from his look in the second movie)...

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Horde Prime was looking to create a new team of Evil Warriors for the next generation, so he enlisted the aid of Multibot to help him find five teenagers with attitude. The chosen five were Skeleteen, Beastfreshman, Ac-nor, Biebor, and Braceor!

Go, go, Hormonal Pubescent Evil Warriors!
    My first thought was shouldn't one of those be female, then I realized you forgot the 'A' on Biebora.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    I just think the customers' reactions are what are key in a collector line.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The line is paid for by the fans; without us, there is no line. So the most important consideration is which figures are the fans going to be more excited about and likely to buy. From the general reaction, it doesn't sound like Skeleteen is generating much but guffaws.
    Exactly!

Some wild ideas work (Demo-Man), and some do not (Vykron). I don't blame Mattel for trying. I think Mattel has made a lot of right decisions by keeping this line conservative with the vintage looks, and that's how it should stay, unless you got a cool Illumina or other character fans have been dying for. Ultimately, you should stay with the fans in a collector line, especially given it's such a tiny tiny line, there is little room for error.

Skeleteen, the name and idea, is not popular among most fans, that is already evident. There is no mass wow factor like there is with many characters in MOTU. Leave it be

I think MOTU fans need more objectivity. Skeleteen fits perfectly fine.

The biggest problem with Skeleteen I hear is the name. On the conceptual level most people are lukewarm to optimistic about the character. Much like they have been with other concept characters. The simple fact is most people want modern versions from the original line.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post
    EDIT: In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason one of the versions of NA Skeletor had a pony tail, was because he was based on the design for a cool early-nineties teen SkeleTeen, and that design got carried over when they decided to stick with Skeletor as the main villain...
    From what little I've seen on the inside, this isn't the case (no Skeleteen/Battle Blade Skeletor connection).

However, in Filmation's pitch circa 1988/89 for He-Man and the Masters of Space, a show featuring the characters from the new He-Man line, Skeletor did have a sister called Skeletrix and a nephew and niece called Funnybone and Hunnybone. No Skeleteen, though.

I would prefer the name Skeletrix. Not his sister because that would be odd. I wouldn't mind seeing her as Dare's villain a copycat of some kind, give her a bit of a harlequinn style get up, and have her like fruit flavored cereal.

That post started off serious.

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    From what little I've seen on the inside, this isn't the case (no Skeleteen/Battle Blade Skeletor connection).

However, in Filmation's pitch circa 1988/89 for He-Man and the Masters of Space, a show featuring the characters from the new He-Man line, Skeletor did have a sister called Skeletrix and a nephew and niece called Funnybone and Hunnybone. No Skeleteen, though.
    Ummm...is this true......?
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

I don't hate the concept at all, in fact I would rather get his figure than some vintage characters. I will say at first I didn't like the name but it is growing on me. I think the worst name in all of MOTU is Netossa, I can't say it without smiling. I remember when I first read it years ago in Toyfare, I thought they were making it up. So in a world of silly and weird names, Skeleteen has its place. As stated above if Scott did make up a new name it would've received criticism if not MORE than he already is. I am glad he stuck to the original name. He will still have to come up with Skeleteen's real name however, so that will be interesting to see what he does with it.