Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Proof that the SKELETEEN concept came from the late 1980's...

Heroic Warrior
    Oh dear, what have I started lol - still, all very interesting

Was there some kind of prototype/image associated with He-Ra and thus this is why people want her in the line more than Skeleteenager? I can see they went with She-Ra without a doubt though, He-Ra just reminds me of that strange parody film - She-Man was it?

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    Oh dear, what have I started lol - still, all very interesting

Was there some kind of prototype/image associated with He-Ra and thus this is why people want her in the line more than Skeleteenager? I can see they went with She-Ra without a doubt though, He-Ra just reminds me of that strange parody film - She-Man was it?
    http://southern4life.blogspot.com/20...of-she-ra.html

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-Ra-look-like

I think what most people are getting at, is the name He-ra has been known for several years were as Skeleteen was a recent find. Scott said he found it in an unused unpublished bible for a show, and many thought he was just saying that to give it some credence kind of like Sentry in Marvel comics (but that was more a meta thing). They could in theory use the He-ra idea has a historic female 'he-man' like Wundar, Vikor, Oo-lar, etc.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Asherah is from the Semitic pantheon, which the Israelites are a part of. In that she was the wife of Anu or El. The Israelites came from the tradition of El, and when there was a shift towards monotheism Yahweh would sometimes still have her as a wive. It was a conflict through out the Old Testament of a synthesis of their polytheistic roots vs a monotheistic push which ended up winning out around the time of the exile.
    i'm aware of this. i was trying to keep it basic and familiar.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't really care where Skeleteen came from, but there's one thing I know for sure : he should have stayed there as a bad idea concept !

Cool! Y'know I initially disliked the name 'Skeleteen' as well, but now I love it. I think it fits perfectly in the context of a 'young He-Man' brand with Dare and others, as well as a history of names like Clawful, Ram-Man, Evil-lyn, Butt-head and Peekablue. Besides, it's not like Skeleteen is his 'real' bio name. I'd love it if Scott had come up with it himself, but knowing the history just makes it that much more perfect!

I'm so not digging this Skeleteen plotline. Some things (like Skeleteen and King Grayskull) would be better left buried and forgotten.

To use a Star Wars metaphor having them is like

a) having Luke Skywalker be a watered down descendant of the greatest Jedi of all time
    b) having Luke's child battle with Lukes half sibling Darth Sithteen.

I just can't make myself dig it, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Heidi; April 5, 2013 at 10:35am.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

skeleteen as gooda name as he man or skeletor. as usual those names get a pass because we are used to them not because they are not silly.

skeleteen. sure why not? i know old argument but how are people still supprised about how the line works when we already knew this from go?

buzz off, fisto, Catra... all "silly", all perfectly fine. as is skeleteen. i actually having it grow more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    skeleteen as gooda name as he man or skeletor. as usual those names get a pass because we are used to them not because they are not silly.

skeleteen. sure why not? i know old argument but how are people still supprised about how the line works when we already knew this from go?

buzz off, fisto, Catra... all "silly", all perfectly fine. as is skeleteen. i actually having it grow more and more.
    So just because MOTU has had some campy names in the past, fans should be happy with any lame names that get created or used now?

This isn't any old heroic warrior, evil warrior or Horde member, this is the son of Skeletor. He deserves better than to be ridiculed because of his non-threatening, lame name.

I haven't seen this much dislike for a name since the first "real" names were introduced. I think that speaks for itself as far as the fandom is concerned.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Skeleteat.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Heroic Warrior
    Imagine that skeleteen is not using a simple mask but Skeletor's skull as a mask! That must be a bloody powerfull ítem!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I don't necessarily care where the Skeleteen concept, name or look came from. What I do know is:

1. His name and his look are really cheesy.
    2. To me he seems exactly like the kind of thing that would have appeared in a proper 1990s extension of the brand. So many cartoons from the late 80's, early 90's era had that "totally awesome teenager" vibe, and something like "Skeleteen", who looks like an 80's punk rocker (and I imagine he'd have some sort of magical axe-guitar), is exactly the sort of villain I'd expect from that era.
    3. Because of #2, I find myself not caring that much about #1. It's almost created a feeling of false nostalgia in me.

I'm sure the above logic doesn't work for everyone, but it has made me turn around a little on Skeleteen. And I firmly feel that the Foe Men have the worst names in the line so far.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    Imagine that skeleteen is not using a simple mask but Skeletor's skull as a mask!
    Then Skeleteen must have a tiny head!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If someone already thought of it sorry but I didn't look through all the pages but how about Skeldor for a name

Well,

I Hate His Name...............

I Hate His Mask...................

I Hate His Head.........................

I Hate His Attire............................

I Hate His Entire Look ...........................

And I Hate Skeletor For Giving Birth To Such An Awful Cheesy Son !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Just call him Heinz Harald or Erwin or Horst! We have so beautifull names in germany Whats about Günther or Kalle?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by blacksun442 View Post
    If someone already thought of it sorry but I didn't look through all the pages but how about Skeldor for a name
    I actually quite like that name
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksun442 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I actually quite like that name
    Skeldor is a better name, good one!

But I still don't like the concept. I can't see Skeletor having children. The guy wants to be immortal, he wants to be a god, a Master of the Universe.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Skeldor is a better name, good one!

But I still don't like the concept. I can't see Skeletor having children. The guy wants to be immortal, he wants to be a god, a Master of the Universe.
    I don't care for the "Son of He-Man" era at all, but in fairness, the child was conceived back when old Bonehead was Keldor, before he went so completely over to the darkness. Keldor wasn't a nice guy, mind, but he wasn't the megalomaniac that Skeletor is.

"Skeldor" is brilliant! Good thinking, Blacksun.

I thought his look was pretty cool, if maybe overly derivative. I'd like to see what the 4H could come up with given a rough description of what he should look like. Just tell them, "Green hair, skull mask, costume inspired by his pappy's" and see what they find in that.

I kinda think of him besides looking like Keldor,a mohawk similar to the dude in the show vikings, the armor and cape in black, a beat up havok staff like king he-mans sword and skeletors filmation style ax

Skeldor is a better name, gotta agree. I think it's the hair that is my least favourite thing about the design honestly.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I haven't seen this much dislike for a name since the first "real" names were introduced. I think that speaks for itself as far as the fandom is concerned.
    I think that is likely the most compelling argument against the name; the backlash is far bigger than that for Squiddish Rex and Hector combined.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman