Thread: Just Recovered My MOTU Collection...

Just Recovered My MOTU Collection...

I was forced to move a few years ago (one of the reasons I vanished from the forums). A lot of my junk got thrown away, but thankfully my MOTU stuff was salvaged.

Unfortunately, I didn't know where it was being kept. Before I moved, I carefully bagged most of my figures, boxed them, and sealed them in a big Rubbermaid tote... which was then stored in an outdoor garage for three years, exposed to some of the summer heat and most of the winter cold.

Anyway, I just found them and started going through them this evening. It looks like a few of them have started to get that sticky-to-the-touch feeling on their legs, some worse than others. Two-Bad got the worst of it, as his paint has actually started to degrade. Several of them have started to get rubber band damage, even guys who had firm legs last time I had them on display.

Fortunately, most of the guys at the bottom of the box were completely or mostly unaffected -- my Mer-Man figure in particular, who I scrambled to look for immediately once I started finding sticky figures. Also fortunately, my vehicles, Fright Zone & Eternia weren't stored with them, but were in a climate-controlled storage locker instead!

Anyway, I'm hoping the damage isn't too extensive and I'll be scouring the forums for sticky-leg solutions over the following week, but I think I can serve as an example of what a little neglect can do to a previously well-cared-for collection!

I had myfigures loose in a cardboard box in a basement. I had similar results. I used some warm water and maybe a drop of dish soap to clean and rinse the sticky plastic. Seemed to work fine. Don't worry about Two-Bad, thats common. Happened to mine too, also Roboto's silver gets magenta bleed. And Extendar's hands always go green.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Yeah, my Roboto started to get that years ago, and both of my Extendars are getting pretty green.

I saw a similar suggestion elsewhere on the forum, so I'll give it a try.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    I have had great results cleaning figures with a Magic Eraser with warm water. You don't need any detergents or soap as the wet eraser will remove the purple haze from Roboto's boots and magenta bleed on Two Bad without harming anything. With some effort, it will also remove scuff marks left by other figures while they were tumbling around together in the box. It will "improve" the stickiness in some cases depending on how severe it is but for the most part, once a figure is sticky you just have to live with it.

Good luck.

Thanks! Now I have a few things to try this weekend when I get some time to clean up a few of them.

Liquid Wrench is the best. I won't use anything else. It not only get's the the residue off the figures but it also get's the red off of Robotos feet/shoes.....Two Bads feet. It also get's all the rub marks off do your figures as well. And on top of all this it glosses them up like NEW. There are 2 figures NOT to use them on....Sorceress & King Randor. Try it you'll never use anything else. One more extra tip. Do it in a ventilated area. It's an aerosol so spray it on a cloth first then go to town on your figures.