Thread: THE BIBLE (history channel special) *non religious discussion*

Hybrid View

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

THE BIBLE (history channel special) *non religious discussion*

Hey guys, I caught a bit of the history channels "the bible" mini series they have been doing, and it was pretty freaking cool. just from a development, production standpoint. My wife has been watching the whole thing, and tells me it is pretty good. Just wanted to know if anyone has been watching it and what they think about it. This is not a thread to talk about the religious side of it. I am just curious from a "movie" making stand point. I have always thought that whether the bible was all REAL or not, it has some INCREDIBLE stories, and really cool concepts from a creative stand point. Have any of you guys been watching this? and what do you think?

I watched every episode and LOVED it! Though the torture and crucifixion scenes were powerful, I don't think they were quite as powerful as they were in "Passion of the Christ".

"The Bible" goes on sale tomorrow, but I will probably wait and pick it up at Christmas.

I have also enjoyed watching "Vikings" on History Channel.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

I enjoyed it, I mean I got my Bachelors in Religious Studies so I know all the sides of the story but I was entertained and thought it did a great job. Not too preachy and not boring.

I did have to chuckle a few times at Jesus having a hint of an Irish or Scottish accent
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I didn't hear about it till recently, I have wanted to watch something that told the stories and wasn't concerned with trying to tell the 'real story.' and it sounded like this did that more than any of the ones in the past have done, it stuck to telling the story as it was originally presented.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Haven't seen it yet, but glad to hear that people enjoyed it so it may be something I pick up on DVD or Blu-Ray, whichever they put it out on. I remember taking a class in seminary on contemporary media portraits of Jesus. It was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; April 1, 2013 at 02:53pm.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

I just always thought that the book itself was full of crazy creative ideas that would make good movies in themselves. it surprised me that outside of the passion movie, this sort of thing hasnt been done yet. I watched from the cruxifiction to the end, and it was really well done. i thought that costumes, makeup, city scapes and everthing looked really realistic. the actor that portrayed Paul was good as well. I think they took out that his name was originally saul as not to confuse viewers.

I'm very interested in picking this up, does it stay fairly true to the source material?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I'd love to see someone do a movie of the Book of Revelation sometime. There's some summer blockbuster material, but the special effects would probably still be too prohibitively expensive to do.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hemotoggy View Post
    I'm very interested in picking this up, does it stay fairly true to the source material?
    Yes, it does

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I'd love to see someone do a movie of the Book of Revelation sometime. There's some summer blockbuster material, but the special effects would probably still be too prohibitively expensive to do.
    And I think you would scare the pants off of a lot of people. lol.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

I've seen episodes 1,2, and 4. There must have been an error with my DVR at some point because part 3 didn't get recorded. I haven't gotten to episode 5 yet.

Things I particularly liked:

- The burning bush. Rather than just looking like a bush on fire it really looked supernatural. The fire itself didn't spread or behave the way fire naturally does.
    - The arrogance of rulers. I thought that Pharoah and Pontius Pilate were particularly handled well. And the displays of arrogance weren't one sided as even David's arrogance was well displayed. These guys really played the part of being in a position far above their subjects.
    - Samson. I don't care what the skin color of the actor playing him was. That guy was huge and powerful. Out of all the fight scenes, Samson's were the ones that made me cringe the most. It's one thing to be slayed by the sword or shot with arrows, but to be pummeled by such brute strength is something else entirely.
    - Why Jesus was arrested and sentenced. Movies depicting Jesus tend to be confusing to people who are unfamiliar with the Bible because they don't do a good job of showing why Jesus was arrested and sentenced. This series did a good job of portraying the Pharisee's plot to arrest him.

Despite some minor discrepancies, I think what the show did right far exceeds what it did wrong. My biggest complaint is that so much had to be rushed to fit it into 5 2 hour parts. I would have loved to have seen this as a 20-30 part series going all the way through.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    Despite some minor discrepancies, I think what the show did right far exceeds what it did wrong. My biggest complaint is that so much had to be rushed to fit it into 5 2 hour parts. I would have loved to have seen this as a 20-30 part series going all the way through.
    I agree that even though it was a 5-part 2-hour series (10 hours), there could have been A LOT more included...as it seemed rushed at times. I think an 8-10 part 2-hour series (16-20 hours) would have been better, but that is only a small complaint. Because I LOVED it!

my wife liked a point that was sort of an interpretation. It had to do with david, and he was doing something (before he wrote the psalms) and he was reciting one under his breath.... and she was like, "that is really cool, because sure he didnt "write" it yet, but how many times do you pray, sing, or think of a phrase and then think, i should write that down" so for her that was really cool. cause yeah, then when he gets the money/kingdom stuff he probably remembered alot of things God told him, so he then recorded it.

I thought that seemed neat.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I've seen episodes 1,2, and 4. There must have been an error with my DVR at some point because part 3 didn't get recorded. I haven't gotten to episode 5 yet.

Things I particularly liked:

- The burning bush. Rather than just looking like a bush on fire it really looked supernatural. The fire itself didn't spread or behave the way fire naturally does.
    - The arrogance of rulers. I thought that Pharoah and Pontius Pilate were particularly handled well. And the displays of arrogance weren't one sided as even David's arrogance was well displayed. These guys really played the part of being in a position far above their subjects.
    - Samson. I don't care what the skin color of the actor playing him was. That guy was huge and powerful. Out of all the fight scenes, Samson's were the ones that made me cringe the most. It's one thing to be slayed by the sword or shot with arrows, but to be pummeled by such brute strength is something else entirely.
    - Why Jesus was arrested and sentenced. Movies depicting Jesus tend to be confusing to people who are unfamiliar with the Bible because they don't do a good job of showing why Jesus was arrested and sentenced. This series did a good job of portraying the Pharisee's plot to arrest him.

haven;t watched it yet, but I will, I did see they made Samson a black guy, i LOVED that. Rastafarians took some of their ideals from Samson so it was cool to see him as a 'rasta'. what was funny to me was he was from Game of thrones, same with another guy in the same episode (the guy who is Tyrion's 'body guard' )
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure