Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guaging interest in a Roboto replacement chest project.

Heroic Warrior Evil Lord of Destruction's Avatar

Guaging interest in a Roboto replacement chest project.

Hello orgers first off this is not a sale thread, there is nothing for sale YET.
    I'm part of a reputable small business and am wondering the interest of a viable solution (since Mattel won't give us one)
    to the Roboto chest issue. We have at our disposal plastic injection machine so please note this is not a rinky dink operation, and isn't going to be amazingly cheap (won't be outrageously expensive either.)
    My job at this moment is to see who is interested in this if any. It would most likely mean taking the chest of your current figure and replacing it with this one.
    This is not a sale thread, I repeat. This is to see who is interested in the project, I can't start unless i know I have enough support to make molds as they are not cheap!
    Pm me or email me Supreme_cobra@yahoo.com

DO NOT ASK FOR PRICE OR AVAILABILITY, NOTHING HAS BEEN MADE YET! THIS IS NOT A SALE THREAD!

Sorry for the all caps lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Please note, I'm part of the art department. They are being gracious enough to let me do this ONLY if I have enough support. Otherwise this will never happen.
    BESTIA PELUDA!!!!!<Skeletor dubbed in spanish
    At the center of the universe,at the border between the light
    and dark, stands castle greyskull.............

I was actually wondering why a company/custom toy maker, hasn't done this yet. I'm sure there is a demand for a GOOD replacement since Mattel does not care about fixing problems.

Heroic Warrior
    I'lb be interested provided the cost does not exceed that of a new figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    I agree with bear!

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    I agree with bear!
    On the secondary market Roboto is getting pretty expensive atm. I am sure he will drop eventually, but IMO a chest replacement seems like the best option. Until Mattel redoes him, buying a replacement Roboto would yield another junk figure eventually.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    I would NOT be interested.

A. I'm a MOC collector mostly
    B. I do have an opened Roboto as well, but I'm not into taking apart and reassembling figures, so even if you were giving these away I would not really be interested.

Now, if it was a COMPLETE, new figure with upgraded chest I might be more interested.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Behold the new Fug-Lee-Faces, for he is 10% more respectful of other peoples' feelings!
    Of course, your mileage may vary.

I'd be down for a replacement piece, I think at this point it's the only way to get a "fixed" Roboto, oh yeah, how bout some fixed shoulders too. Not bein a smart a$$, I really would like some fixed shoulder that I didn't have to slice and switch around.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Sure I'm in.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed

Quote Originally Posted by Bear-at-Arms View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I'd be down for a replacement piece, I think at this point it's the only way to get a "fixed" Roboto, oh yeah, how bout some fixed shoulders too. Not bein a smart a$$, I really would like some fixed shoulder that I didn't have to slice and switch around.
    With a new torso, you wouldn't need new shoulders. With your figure dismantled, all you'd have to do is swap the shoulders onto the appropriate arm, place the arms accordingly, and then glue the replacement torso back together.

So a new torso would fix not just 1, but 2 problems.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'd definitely buy one.

I don't need one but I'd buy one for the future....

I'd have to get my hands on a Roboto first! lol. But if I did that, I'd be up for it.

Heroic Warrior
    Count on me, I'm in!

Well you know I'm in...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I`m thinking there may be legal problems with Mattel if you made a "Roboto replacement torso" made a reproduction of their torso mold and sold that would constitute copyright infringement. Now if you had someone sculpt a new torso let`s say a 200x torso and called it a generic robot torso much like spyonkey does there will be no issues, but you can`t reproduce their product and sell it without permission from Mattel.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m thinking there may be legal problems with Mattel if you made a "Roboto replacement torso" made a reproduction of their torso mold and sold that would constitute copyright infringement. Now if you had someone sculpt a new torso let`s say a 200x torso and called it a generic robot torso much like spyonkey does there will be no issues, but you can`t reproduce their product and sell it without permission from Mattel.
    I wonder if this is something that they would overlook since the intent here is not the "bootleg" a full figure, but instead fix a problem with a specific part of a figure in which no other actual true fix to the problem, itself has been offered.

I'd be interested.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but the first question that popped in my mind was how can you guarantee the replacement parts not to crack?

Okay! I will most likely need at least twenty people on board. Most likely will be taking away the trade mark on the back. So it may depreciate the value of the figure but you will have piece of mind. I want to make it as simple as possible to keep cost down. Thanks guys for replying!

- - - Updated - - -

Will have to test different plastics to see what works best!

removing the copyright? that`s even worse, now your reproducing their mold without even Mattel`s name on it. I`d be expecting a cease and desist order and I wouldn`t be surprised if they went after the company that is allowing you to do this. Your idea is 100% illegal. and talking about it is supposed be against he.man.org rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Lord of Destruction View Post
    Okay! I will most likely need at least twenty people on board. Most likely will be taking away the trade mark on the back. So it may depreciate the value of the figure but you will have piece of mind. I want to make it as simple as possible to keep cost down. Thanks guys for replying!

- - - Updated - - -

Will have to test different plastics to see what works best!

Interested yes, but I think price will have a lot to say if I buy it and also how easy it is to assemble. I assume be break off the old one and snap on/ glue on the new.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I'm down.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Mattel should be the ones doing the replacing! But I would also be interested.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I'm interested in buying 2, but I just need the torso clear shell parts to replace my old ones. I don't need the whole figure. I'm willing to pay $35 shipped each for just the replacement parts.

The trademark would be removed so that you can tell the difference between the real deal and the replacement.
    If anything it helps those in the future distinguish between the revamped figure and an original when trying to sell. I don't see how that damages anything
    or infringes on copyright laws as we here reproduce weapons all the time and sell them for ridiculous prices. I'm only trying to help fellow collectors with their Roboto action figure that came DOUBLE defective from the factory! I'm not reproducing the entire figure, and as I said they would be doing this as a favor to me if I can get enough people on board to justify the price of the molds for the machine, as they are not cheap! All in all I'm not even sure If I can get this off the ground as it is. I appreciate the concern. What say you Scott? What is your opinion Mr. Spector?I call you out in our hour of need. Fans are restless and i believe we have spent plenty of money on a line riddled with QC problems. Can any one get a hold of him?

What I was planning was a two part clear replacement, same as the ones that make up his chest.
    Yes just break apart the old chest and stuff this one on with some glue. (loctite is the best brand make sure not to ever do it)
    I'd honestly have to paint the necks too.