Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guaging interest in a Roboto replacement chest project.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    Not to be a negative Nancy, but the first question that popped in my mind was how can you guarantee the replacement parts not to crack?
    Being made by ANYONE other than Mattel pretty much guarantees a greater quality product. Toys have been made using clear plastic forever. The problem isn’t clear plastic. The problem is Mattel contracts the cheapest factories possible which use the cheapest plastics possible.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m thinking there may be legal problems with Mattel if you made a "Roboto replacement torso" made a reproduction of their torso mold and sold that would constitute copyright infringement.
    But there is a slight difference between the 2 products. Mattel’s product has cracks in it where as this new product does not.

removing the copyright? that`s even worse, now your reproducing their mold without even Mattel`s name on it. I`d be expecting a cease and desist order and I wouldn`t be surprised if they went after the company that is allowing you to do this. Your idea is 100% illegal. and talking about it is supposed be against he.man.org rules.
    No, I’m pretty sure using another company’s name is still worse. Plus, can you imagine the bad publicity that would give Mattel. Mattel sues a small company reproducing 1 torso to fix a figure that Mattel screwed up in the first place.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Lord of Destruction View Post
    The trademark would be removed so that you can tell the difference between the real deal and the replacement.
    If anything it helps those in the future distinguish between the revamped figure and an original when trying to sell. I don't see how that damages anything
    or infringes on copyright laws as we here reproduce weapons all the time and sell them for ridiculous prices. I'm only trying to help fellow collectors with their Roboto action figure that came DOUBLE defective from the factory! I'm not reproducing the entire figure, and as I said they would be doing this as a favor to me if I can get enough people on board to justify the price of the molds for the machine, as they are not cheap! All in all I'm not even sure If I can get this off the ground as it is. I appreciate the concern. What say you Scott? What is your opinion Mr. Spector?I call you out in our hour of need. Fans are restless and i believe we have spent plenty of money on a line riddled with QC problems. Can any one get a hold of him?
    Don`t get me wrong, I applaud the enthusiasm and it is a great idea, but it was pretty much the same deal back in 2002 when a certain member was recasting the exclusive birth of Skeletor head from the SDCC 200X exclusive and painting and selling them or trading them or whatever profit he was making (I know not of the details). Mattel sent him an order to stop and that`s where the rules came from. If you look at the rules in this forum about reproduction`s you will see that this convo is against the rules. that`s my only concern is you and the company you work for free of any troubles. Yes I would ask Scott but I`m pretty sure you`ll get the same answer. You cannot reproduce in whole or in part and copyrighted material from any company currently holding right`s.

I'd be in depending on cost.

I'd also be interested in a colored chest if thy was possible.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

I'd be very interested in this, as I have a pile of figure parts waiting for a new chest. I'd considered doing something like this for my own use, but the crack got way too bad when disassembling him. Even if I managed to acquire the means and skills to reproduce parts, casts of my cracked parts would be way too flawed at this point.

I can see how Mattel would have a problem with something like this and they'd pretty much have to say no to anyone asking permission, even if the person being asked would love to say yes. It's frustrating since it's a piece that's meant to repair a crap toy that people have already given Mattel money for. Now, if it was altered in a few more superficial ways beyond removing copyright info(maybe a few extra details or sculpted lines so it looks similar but is clearly not identical when placed side by side with the original), then you'd enter more of a gray area.

To expand on that, I'd recommend referring to this project as a "Hero-Bot custom upgrade kit" for "Fantasy Figures" with no reference to specific characters. Because really, that's what it is. Any customizer could buy your item to invent their own character with a transparent torso. It would work with the entire line, or any line that a customizer is willing to put the effort into modifying to work with your piece.

I'd want one!

It would be a chance to correct the shoulders too (I'd guess that you could tool the pieces such that the correct shoulders fit on the correct sides?).

It might be nice if it were slightly more bulky too.

I think if you try to duplicate exactly what Mattel / 4H made, then you could get in trouble. But if you made a torso with a slightly different look, that would probably be fine.

I know that I'd be more interested in my Roboto figure if he weren't cracked
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Don`t get me wrong, I applaud the enthusiasm and it is a great idea, but it was pretty much the same deal back in 2002 when a certain member was recasting the exclusive birth of Skeletor head from the SDCC 200X exclusive and painting and selling them or trading them or whatever profit he was making (I know not of the details). Mattel sent him an order to stop and that`s where the rules came from. If you look at the rules in this forum about reproduction`s you will see that this convo is against the rules. that`s my only concern is you and the company you work for free of any troubles. Yes I would ask Scott but I`m pretty sure you`ll get the same answer. You cannot reproduce in whole or in part and copyrighted material from any company currently holding right`s.
    Adam, people are doing this all over the Place. Look around. NOT trying to start anything, but I seriously doubt Mattel would say anything about this. There are people recasting things and selling them all over. Besides I don't see a problem with fixing a mistake Mattel won't fix.

BTW depending on cost I'm in.
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Dragon Walker with tattoo he - man MIB.
    Parts I need:
    Zodak Calves, Feet and Loin Cloths.

Now if you had someone sculpt a new torso let`s say a 200x torso and called it a generic robot torso much like spyonkey does there will be no issues,
    I don't think I could support just a 200X torso for a figure which is otherwise made up of vintage style parts. But if it also included a 200X head, trunks, and boots then I would dig a set like that. If they took the 200X design and "classicized" it just a bit then it would be different enough to not even have to worry about Mattel.

Heroic Warrior Evil Lord of Destruction's Avatar
    I'll get on this. Will most likely have to buy another Roboto to sacrafice to the Gods of mold making.
    For now I'll call it techno chess player power parts......lol
    BESTIA PELUDA!!!!!<Skeletor dubbed in spanish
    At the center of the universe,at the border between the light
    and dark, stands castle greyskull.............

Just to mention mine is still in one piece. Its got a crack but I reinforced it, the little guy shouldn't break as I reheated the plastic and let it re cure.
    But if this works out even I will be replacing the chest. The shoulder pieces are not like Hsss they are the same for both sides, you just need to pop em off
    and replace them into the correct socket.

I'll get on this. Will most likely have to buy another Roboto to sacrafice to the Gods of mold making.
    For now I'll call it techno chess player power parts......lol
    Cool. Will you be doing a straight recast from the original torso or will you be doing a 3D scan to create the prototype digitally? My only worry about a straight recast would be that the final piece would be just a bit smaller and the last thing we need is less space for the shoulders to move around. If you did this using the 3d printing method, then you could increase the size just enough so that the final piece is identical in size when cast. You could even give it just a tad more room for the shoulders to ensure there is enough room for the arms to move around without causing stress on the plastic. However you do this, I just hope you do something to give the shoulders a little more room to rotate around.

I'm leaving that to the head honcho who apparently is also a motu fan!
    It may take a month before I can get this off the ground but it looks like it can work.
    It will include no packaging (sorry guys i'm trying to keep the cost waaaaaaay down as the initial costs are out of pocket.)
    WE DO NOT DISCUSS PRICE HERE!
    This is really just my way of helping an issue Mattel won't rectify.
    I sent the proposal, and will most likely have to kill a Roboto to do this unless some one has a spare that's in pieces?
    Techno Chess player Power part is underway........again it may take a month just to get started as we have a few things in the works but hey! It's something better that "just send us back the figure and we will give you a refund." BUT I WANT MY FIGURE MATTEL!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    The issue in that case, though, is that one of the parts of the exclusive version of Skeletor that made him "exclusive" was being cast and sold... likely to people who didn't have the figure and didn't want to pay the huge secondary market prices for it.

In this case, the intent here is to replace a part that people already have, with the only difference being that the replacement part would lack the defect of the original. Yeah, I can see where this is potentially pushing the limits and even slightly stepping over the line, but the intent here is completely different.

It's something better that "just send us back the figure and we will give you a refund." BUT I WANT MY FIGURE MATTEL!
    Exactly! That's the bottomline point. Mattel won't give fans a proper fix (and a refund isn't a proper fix... it's nice to give people the option of a refund, it just shouldn't be the only option available), so someone is offering the next best thing.

Hmmm... the auto-merging of back to back posts isn't working.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; April 3, 2013 at 04:54pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Isn't Cy-Chop reusing Roboto's Torso?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Cy-chop does indeed use the outer torso....but it is cast in a different color.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

[QUOTE=Dynamo of Eternia;3240129]The issue in that case, though, is that one of the parts of the exclusive version of Skeletor that made him "exclusive" was being cast and sold... likely to people who didn't have the figure and didn't want to pay the huge secondary market prices for it.

Thank you. I'm not recasting an exclusive anything.......unless you count it being exclusively rare to find an intact one? lol

I agree that making a few changes to the torso piece would be a smart move. Also, are you only thinking of casting in clear? It would make a great piece for customs if cast in a solid color.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Do you think there is enough interest? I am hoping this happens because the future for Roboto looks mighty bleak unless we get something like this.

I'm game for this. You could easily make a custom MOTUC chestplate using the 200X parts as well.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Only thinking of casting it n clear for now.
    Maybe down the line something else.
    I'm not certain what changes I'd make as I'm really not trying to make a profit here, just rectifying a problem.
    If I change it, it would kind of ruin it for everyone out there that wants their Roboto whole and original.
    I will post news as t comes it may take a month as mentioned before I can get this off the floor, but I got the ball rolling.
    Now to figure out all the details!

Thanks guys!

Guys! Much awaited update comes!
    The owner took an interest as he himself OWNS a cracking Roboto!
    We are swamped with a few 3rd party projects that are trying to be completed before summer convention time, but it looks like this may happen!
    I need you guys to Pm or email me so I can get a list going. I know interest is due to change once I have a price but seriously this figure is 100 dollars or worse on ebay even if it ends up the cost of a regular figure it seems worth it to have a chest that won't break like this one has. AGAIN that is not a price I'm not stating a price, this is not a sale thread.

Don't give up hope gentlemen. They are working on some parts for Encline designs....can't say what.....but they are a bit backed up as of now. Hoping to hear something soon, If not my heart will break like a Roboto torso.

Point missed. The SDCC Skeletor head wasn't defective. This is a completely different situation and those who say "Illegal! Against the rules!" need to be more open minded and ponder for a good long moment *why* the idea is being considered in the first place. It's because people paid their hard earned money for something and they were not given what they were promised, and then were not offered a suitable replacement. I infer the intention behind wanting to do this even though I don't want one myself, and I don't infer it to be an opportunistic one that's just about making a profit off of fans. There are no absolutes in life, and sometimes there are completely viable exceptions. We just have to have the courage and confidence to speak up and say "I feel as though this is an exception to the rule."
    Last edited by King Miro; May 21, 2013 at 12:22am.

Thank you guys for your support. I'm still hoping they will get to me, if not I'm going to have to look into alternate methods....which might suck for me financially.
    I will keep you posted!

If this guy is making a robot chest that resembles the roboto torso, but is reworked to have the mid torso articulation, i would think that would be enough of a change to make it legally a separate and new part..The devil would be in the details.

EDIT: and like many others, i would be in for 1 or 2 depending on cost.
    Last edited by Wulf-Gar; May 24, 2013 at 07:24pm.

any news on this?
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)