Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Eternia & Filmation "Lite" Subs Available Again from 4/15 - 4/30!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I wonder if they finally decided, along with this new subscription, to improve their customer service, shipping and QC...
    Dude, we get it. You really don't like the things you mentioned. Totally fair. That doesn't mean that you need to turn every...single...topic into an avenue to mention them.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by eddie3429 View Post
    Hey man, well written and thought out post in someways but i got to disagree with you.

the folks who brought multiple subs would easily be the minority by far (the effort of those that did is appreciated but i wouldn't expect it from anyone) Mattel hasn't set any precedent at all, and Mattel would clearly see the number of people who had the multiple and know this, mattel is clearly targeting the Non Subbers this year

I whole heartily agree with you that while they are toys to us, there product for mattel. however if you go through the posts on this board by myself and others it would be pretty hard for this reaction to be because of "Cancelations" . it dosen't add up. what looks most likely to me when i think about all the factors involved is this is DOS stock,

1)warehouse stock is whats killing figures at the moment, not just mattel like has been talked about, hasbro had a stock holders meeting about it, anything they can move they want to move, People say the wish matty started this sub in june rather then may so the don't have to by the FFM, well think about it, why do you think matty pushed them back a month to june.. matty wants you to buy them and move there stock so the don't have another star sisters. Matty wants as little DOS stock as possible

2) Big Rumour* for 2014 is sub only (or without it your going to have a shot at very little) Offering this sub then kills two birds with one stone then, it sets precedent for no DOS stock (despite there numbers on most of these being set ) and easing people into the idea its better to sub before the year they have no choice, and lets them move the stock to do it. fangman was not no DOS because there was no stock (though i believe he was less made then alot of characters) , i bet he turns up EA at some point, but he happened to have no DOS right before Oh wow a filmation Sub. Matty is using the Sub to play hard ball this year.

*Rumours abound of course, but i have heard this from the reliable folks, and i haven't seen anything matty has said or done these last few months to disprove it, in fact if anything they are making me more certain that the thing that will truly be "light" will be DOS in 2014
    I would be ok with sub only.....but I really hope that if they do that they keep the sub the way it was this year, minus the three pack of course!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I would be ok with sub only.....but I really hope that if they do that they keep the sub the way it was this year, minus the three pack of course!
    I am a subber, so in the end for me personally i am not worried, i'll get my figures, its the DOS folks i feel bad for, I am a cherry picker with GIJOE there fan club line you can only get by subscribing pr pay crazy money second hand for 3'75" kit bashed repaints. so i get it but admittedly those are often lesser characters and there is still a retail line,

I am a subber, so in the end for me personally i am not worried, i'll get my figures, its the DOS folks i feel bad for, I am a cherry picker with GIJOE there fan club line you can only get by subscribing pr pay crazy money second hand for 3'75" kit bashed repaints. so i get it but admittedly those are often lesser characters and there is still a retail line,
    Me too and I'll sub again next year regardless

Heys just to add to my other points on this topic Toy Guru on latest episode Council of the first ones clearly states while taking about this sub reopening

Quote Originally Posted by Toy guru View Post
    "Of course this means there will be fewer figures Day of [sales]"
    He then goes on to talk about this is why the subs are limited and can potentially sell out
    Last edited by eddie3429; April 6, 2013 at 08:07pm. Reason: neaten

Heys just to add to my other points on this topic Toy Guru on latest episode Council of the first ones clearly states while taking about this sub reopening

He then goes on to talk about this is why the subs are limited and can potentially sell out
    Just listened to it myself. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I sub every year and I think it's a great idea for the longevity of the line. I know DOS people won't be happy, but if 2014 really is an all star year, and he was making crystal clear it was, I don't see why people wouldn't sub up. I'm sure not everyone wants every figure, but there won't be any unknowns to struggle with selling.
    I think this will bring in some fresh blood to replace those that have dropped out. This is great!
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Just listened to it myself. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. I sub every year and I think it's a great idea for the longevity of the line. I know DOS people won't be happy, but if 2014 really is an all star year, and he was making crystal clear it was, I don't see why people wouldn't sub up. I'm sure not everyone wants every figure, but there won't be any unknowns to struggle with selling.
    I think this will bring in some fresh blood to replace those that have dropped out. This is great!
    yeah i imagine next year will see a club increase, he was honest about a few things, Red Bear was meant for 2015 but has been replaced.

I might be one of the few saddened by the end of New concepts for now,

Cost of making figures has gone up, looks like matty is only going to be selling what is ordered in the future, the days of extra stock are over i think

yeah i imagine next year will see a club increase, he was honest about a few things, Red Bear was meant for 2015 but has been replaced.

I might be one of the few saddened by the end of New concepts for now,

Cost of making figures has gone up, looks like matty is only going to be selling what is ordered in the future, the days of extra stock are over i think
    I'll very much miss new characters, like Procrustus and the FFM, heck Demo Man is one of my favorites...
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I keep hearing this argument, but it actually makes no sense. The cost to produce a figure is inversely proportional to the amount of stock produced for that figure. The more they decrease the production numbers, the more the cost per figure will increase, not decrease. Factories charge a minimum production rate, whether they produce a certain minimum amount of units or less, because there is a minimum (and nowhere near negligible) cost overhead incurred by the cost of the metal molds and the cost of setting up the machinery to start production.

So, let's say the minimum rate the factory charges is $240,000 per production run, which makes each figure cost $12 to manufacture if a minimum of 20,000 units per run is met. Now, let's say Mattel decides to cut off DoS stock entirely and reduce production from 20,000 units to, say, 16,000 units to be sold exclusively to subscribers. Then the cost per unit will increase by $3 per figure ($240,000 / 16,000 = $15), because the factory will charge Mattel the same rate as if they had produced 20,000 units. But if, instead, Mattel decided to increase the production numbers to 30,000, the factory would offer a bulk production discount and charge them a reduced rate of $300,000, thereby decreasing the price per figure by $2 ($300,000 / 30,000 = $10). And, if Mattel upped production to 50,000, the factory would charge just $350,000, further reducing the price per figure by another $3 ($350,000 / 50,000 = $7). These are, of course, totally made up numbers (except that 20,000 is the probable minimum production number according to what some people have stated), but the mechanics of it is true to how things do work in plastic toy manufacturing: less production equals higher per-unit price and more production equals lower per-unit price, and not the other way round as implied by comments of the kind "the cost to produce the figures is increasing so Mattel has to decrease production".
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    I keep hearing this argument, but it actually makes no sense. The cost to produce a figure is inversely proportional to the amount of stock produced for that figure. The more they decrease the production numbers, the more the cost per figure will increase, not decrease. Factories charge a minimum production rate, whether they produce a certain minimum amount of units or less, because there is a minimum (and nowhere near negligible) cost overhead incurred by the cost of the metal molds and the cost of setting up the machinery to start production.

So, let's say the minimum rate the factory charges is $240,000 per production run, which makes each figure cost $12 to manufacture if a minimum of 20,000 units per run is met. Now, let's say Mattel decides to cut off DoS stock entirely and reduce production from 20,000 units to, say, 16,000 units to be sold exclusively to subscribers. Then the cost per unit will increase by $3 per figure ($240,000 / 16,000 = $15), because the factory will charge Mattel the same rate as if they had produced 20,000 units. But if, instead, Mattel decided to increase the production numbers to 30,000, the factory would offer a bulk production discount and charge them a reduced rate of $300,000, thereby decreasing the price per figure by $2 ($300,000 / 30,000 = $10). And, if Mattel upped production to 50,000, the factory would charge just $350,000, further reducing the price per figure by another $3 ($350,000 / 50,000 = $7). These are, of course, totally made up numbers (except that 20,000 is the probable minimum production number according to what some people have stated), but the mechanics of it is true to how things do work in plastic toy manufacturing: less production equals higher per-unit price and more production equals lower per-unit price, and not the other way round as implied by comments of the kind "the cost to produce the figures is increasing so Mattel has to decrease production".
    i see what your trying to say man, its thought out and if it worked like that it would be great but sadly it doesn't work like that.

1) your assuming mattel was working of the minimum to begin with when chances are the deal is alot more complex through mattel

2) every joint and paint apps on figures is done by hand, they ain't building a machine just to put spikor together, the more figure you make in a set time frame the more workers you need , hence higher rates

3) Mattel pays for materials, the figures are made of plastic, plastic is made of petroleum, Fossil fuels are expensive and only getting more so

This also doesn't bring in factors like more transport for shipping and warehouse storage for unsold figures etc etc

hope that helps

i see what your trying to say man, its thought out and if it worked like that it would be great but sadly it doesn't work like that.

1) your assuming mattel was working of the minimum to begin with when chances are the deal is alot more complex through mattel
    I was not assuming that. I said it was a mere example with made-up numbers. My point is, there is an initial cost overhead which makes production exponentially more costly per unit for lower runs than for higher runs. That's why retail items are so much cheaper, since they are produced in much higher numbers. Plus, Mattel themselves have openly talked about this many times (TG has repeatedly stated that they need to reach a certain minimum number of subs so as to be able to lock in a certain minimum production number so as for Mattel to be able to offer MotUCs at a certain price point, and if that minimum number isn't met, the price per unit rises exponentially). So this point shouldn't be in contention, as Mattel themselves have clearly stated it. In fact, should Mattel need to lower production to below a certain level because too many customers dropped the line, they would simply stop producing MotUC, as the price would easily soar to over $100+ per figure for too-small runs.

The main reason the price per figure has been increased is the fact that so many people have already dropped the line (due to a wide and varied array of reasons). So with the ever-lower sub numbers, and therefore ever-lower production numbers, the price per figure goes up and up. The last thing that is needed in such a situation is for Mattel to lower production even more by cutting off the DoS stock, which will only cause the price per figure to rise even more. But Mattel wants to cut off DoS stock as part of their heavy-handed tactics to force people to sub, and justifying it by saying that production needs to be lowered due to increasing manufacturing costs is manipulative BS.

2) every joint and paint apps on figures is done by hand, they ain't building a machine just to put spikor together, the more figure you make in a set time frame the more workers you need , hence higher rates
    That is basically a fixed cost per figure, whether you make many or few (since workers get paid per hour of work and each worker can process some certain number of figures per hour). If you need to make more units, you just hire more workers, but of course also charge more for the entire run as it's a larger run.

To clarify my point: Going back to my previous example (again using made-up numbers for the sake of argument), let's say a figure has a fixed manufacturing cost of $2 to cover the "hand-made" part (what the factory has to pay a worker for their manual labour of paint ops, assembly and packaging per figure—note that the actual cost of this is probably much lower than that, given that Chinese workers are paid in the order of $2 per hour and one would guess each worker can manually paint, assemble and package many more than just one figure per hour—), $2 to cover the operating costs (electricity to run the machines, etc.), $2 to cover the raw materials (including packaging materials), and the rest is dependent on how much the initial overhead cost of the molds and setting up the factory is spread out per figure among the whole production run (let's say the overhead cost is $120,000). So, if you order 20,000 figures, the overhead cost spreads out down to $6 per figure, and adding the fixed manual labour cost, operating cost and raw materials cost ($2 + $2 + $2 = $6), we arrive at $12 per figure for a 20,000 unit run. Now, if the production is upped to 30,000 units, the fixed cost per figure (manual labour + operating costs + raw materials) remains the same at $6, whereas the initial overhead cost comes down to $4 per figure, bringing the final price down to $10 per figure. The factory is thus able to offer a "discount" for bulkier production runs because it is actually cheaper per unit for them the more units they produce, since the fixed initial overhead cost gets more spread-out per unit. But, if production is lowered to 10,000 units, the fixed labour cost remains at $6, but the share of overhead cost per figure is $12, making the final price per figure soar to $18. (Note again that the above calculations are totally made-up and the actual manufacturing cost per figure is in all probability much lower than that—maybe just $5 or $6 per figure for a 20,000-unit run.)

3) Mattel pays for materials, the figures are made of plastic, plastic is made of petroleum, Fossil fuels are expensive and only getting more so
    Nonsense. Plastic is VERY cheap (unbelievably cheap, in fact). Just look around at the wide array of plastic items sold for dirt-cheap prices at any dollar store. Even if the price of plastic doubled overnight, it wouldn't affect the price of the figures but in a few cents. We're talking about prices in the range of $0.5 to $2 per pound of plastic (depending on the quality, but remember that MotUC isn't renowned precisely for the top quality of its materials: blastic, Green Goddess, Snout Spout...). A MotUC figure weighs in the order of several ounces, so a plastic cost in the order of around $1 per figure would be a fairly generous estimate. Even the whole of Castle Grayskull won't cost much more than around $20 in raw materials.

This also doesn't bring in factors like more transport for shipping and warehouse storage for unsold figures etc etc
    Shipping is usually cheaper for bulkier shipments. And the warehouse storage for unsold figures doesn't really depend on the size of the run, but on the popularity of the figure (e.g., even if they produced twice as many Ram Men as Karattis, more units of the latter than of the former are likely to be left sitting in the warehouse as overstock because the audience for a Ram Man figure is much wider than that for a Karatti figure).

Anyway, the biggest chunk of the price Mattel charges per figure is not due to manufacturing, shipping or storage costs, but to their generous profit margin. Going by published financial data of the company, their gross profit margin is in the order of 50% (with an operating income of around 15%-20% and a net income of around 10%), which means the actual cost to produce, ship and store a MotUC figure that they sell for $25 may be in the order of $12. Then, about $2 or $3 of net profit margin per figure (maybe double or triple the cost of that figure's raw materials) go directly to Mattel shareholders' pockets.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; April 7, 2013 at 12:09pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Yeah, if they just increase their production numbers, their cost-per-figure will go down, that's true...

But...

Why make so many more extra figures if they're having trouble selling beyond the current amount? The savings on the production costs will simply be offset by the costs of everything else. I mean, if your customer base is 20,000 you wouldn't make 40,000+ units just to shred off a little of the production costs. You'd end up spending more to make the same amount of money as before...And stuck with obscene amounts of unsold product!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    Yeah, if they just increase their production numbers, their cost-per-figure will go down, that's true...

But...

Why make so many more extra figures if they're having trouble selling beyond the current amount? The savings on the production costs will simply be offset by the costs of everything else. I mean, if your customer base is 20,000 you wouldn't make 40,000+ units just to shred off a little of the production costs. You'd end up spending more to make the same amount of money as before...And stuck with obscene amounts of unsold product!
    he said what i was saying but better

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post

But...

The "sane" thing to do would be to promote the line to raise awareness of its existence (the influx of new customers following the CG reveals should prove that there's still a sizeable untapped potential out there in this respect) and implement effective strategies to attract new customers (for example, offering "starter" A-lister packs, such as He-Man+MAA+Teela and Skeletor+Evil-Lyn+BeastMan, as evergreen items at a discounted price for newcomers to "taste" the line and get initiated). Which is exactly the opposite of what cutting off DoS will achieve, only making it near-impossible for the "non-initiates" to get on the bandwagon, alienating the cherrypickers, and also enraging the subbers who won't be able to buy extras of particular figures.

The problem with "sane" management strategies is that we're talking Mattel here, a company with an abysmally dismal record with the Better Business Bureau and whose chronic mismanagement practices led to the demise of both the vintage and 200X lines. The line is in desperate need of new customers to replace the hordes of customers that have left, but instead of promoting sales Mattel's strategy is to cut off, restrict and minimize access to their product, therefore exacerbating the problem. Solving long-standing DR/CS/QC issues could prevent further customer "defections" and maybe help to woo older customers back in, but after 5 years this seems already like a lost cause—there's simply no will whatsoever from Mattel to actually solve those issues. An outside observer looking at their past and present actions might easily conclude their heavy-handed anti-customer behavior in managing the MotUC line seems almost purposefully meant to doom it by progressively eroding the customer base while doing nothing to bring new customers in—the dedicated passion of the fanbase being the only reason the line has managed to stay alive despite Mattel's aggressive strategies and DR's constant blunders.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; April 7, 2013 at 05:17pm.

The "sane" thing to do would be to promote the line to raise awareness of its existence (the influx of new customers following the CG reveals should prove that there's still a sizeable untapped potential out there in this respect) and implement effective strategies to attract new customers (for example, offering "starter" A-lister packs, such as He-Man+MAA+Teela and Skeletor+Evil-Lyn+BeastMan, as evergreen items at a discounted price for newcomers to "taste" the line and get initiated). Which is exactly the opposite of what cutting off DoS will achieve, only making it near-impossible for the "non-initiates" to get on the bandwagon, alienating the cherrypickers, and also enraging the subbers who won't be able to buy extras of particular figures.

The problem with "sane" management strategies is that we're talking Mattel here, a company with an abysmally dismal record with the Better Business Bureau and whose chronic mismanagement practices led to the demise of both the vintage and 200X lines. The line is in desperate need of new customers to replace the hordes of customers that have left, but instead of promoting sales Mattel's strategy is to cut off, restrict and minimize access to their product, therefore exacerbating the problem. Solving long-standing DR/CS/QC issues could prevent further customer "defections" and maybe help to woo older customers back in, but after 5 years this seems already like a lost cause—there's simply no will whatsoever from Mattel to actually solve those issues. An outside observer looking at their past and present actions might easily conclude their heavy-handed anti-customer behavior in managing the MotUC line seems almost purposefully meant to doom it by progressively eroding the customer base while doing nothing to bring new customers in—the dedicated passion of the fanbase being the only reason the line has managed to stay alive despite Mattel's aggressive strategies and DR's constant blunders.
    I won't comment on the CS issues. I'm too new to the line. Shipping is over-priced and over-slow, but that's all I have experienced.

I agree 100% that the lack of advertising for this line is ridiculous. I didn't know about the line until the CG pre-sale, and there are a lot of new collectors like me. The new comic book is a very positive step, allowing the sub-lite is a positive step. But they continue to put up barriers to new customers. I was lucky enough to get a Ram-Man, but that was kind of like winning a lottery. They have let Skeletor go out of print! I understand he may not make a profit if a few thousand Skeletors clog up the warehouse, but that's really a loss leader. As we all know, these figures are much nicer in hand than in any picture. You have to get those first couple into the customers' hands so they will understand.

In my opinion, they need to get more serious about advertising, and they need to make this line MORE friendly to new collectors, not less.

I got the Filmation sub already, getting FFM from another board member. DCUC Larfleeze and Huntress are the only shown figures I want (wally west is a maybe). Everything else that has been shown I don't want. Well debating Castaspella.

I do like the statement of beast/variants/multipacks/other.... one of each then they list three prices. One says three items the other lists four.
    Last edited by wyldman11; April 7, 2013 at 05:58pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I do like the statement of beast/variants/multipacks/other.... one of each then they list three prices. One says three items the other lists four.
    I think you are misunderstanding what they are saying. They list the four types of figures that fill those skus generally, not that you will get one of each. So it is 3 skus from these possible catagories and these are the price for those skus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding what they are saying. They list the four types of figures that fill those skus generally, not that you will get one of each. So it is 3 skus from these possible catagories and these are the price for those skus.
    I do know what they are saying. Basically they have told us we are getting the three pack, what looks to be a two pack and a variant. Variant is most likely NA He-man.

And I would assume there were more cancellations after Ram-man than after King He-man and Fangman. The only reason I could have seen people waiting on He-man (and then Fangman) was in hopes of profit on the figure.

And I am sure there were cancellations, and this will be taking up at least some of the DOS which will most likely reduce the DOS stock for the figures with lower production runs. That I am sure has something to do with it.

But there is the hey people will buy into it because many couldn't last year so that most likely is another reason. I think we need to keep in mind there is often more than just one reason for doing something.
    Last edited by wyldman11; April 7, 2013 at 07:02pm.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'm very surprised how non-negative this thread has been. All the other threads that concern issues that could result in no/fewer DOS figures have very many negative comments. I haven't seen that here. There are some, but they've been tame. I wonder how many DOS people have given up. I doubt that they have changed their tune and become a happy subscriber. Now maybe they have subbed, but there are no end of complaints from subbers too, so I'm just curious what has happened.

I've voiced my problems with Mattel and TG a lot over the last year, but I have nearly given up too. TG does what he wants, and I don't like that I started spending thousands of dollars on a line, thinking I could get all the figures I wanted based on the sales model that went on for years, only to have the rules all changed on me.

It's clear the cherry picker is an endangered species. TG and Mattel want them gone and it's mostly because they can't even come close to predicting how many units of a figure will sell. They have no one else to blame on this one. Earlier lines they could blame the retailers, but this is all on them. IF they make way too many of a figure, it's their failure, but the cherry picker has paid the price.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I'm very surprised how non-negative this thread has been. All the other threads that concern issues that could result in no/fewer DOS figures have very many negative comments. I haven't seen that here. There are some, but they've been tame. I wonder how many DOS people have given up. I doubt that they have changed their tune and become a happy subscriber. Now maybe they have subbed, but there are no end of complaints from subbers too, so I'm just curious what has happened.

I've voiced my problems with Mattel and TG a lot over the last year, but I have nearly given up too. TG does what he wants, and I don't like that I started spending thousands of dollars on a line, thinking I could get all the figures I wanted based on the sales model that went on for years, only to have the rules all changed on me.

It's clear the cherry picker is an endangered species. TG and Mattel want them gone and it's mostly because they can't even come close to predicting how many units of a figure will sell. They have no one else to blame on this one. Earlier lines they could blame the retailers, but this is all on them. IF they make way too many of a figure, it's their failure, but the cherry picker has paid the price.
    Not entirely true, cherry pickers will just have to pay secondary market prices if they only want select figures. Mattel has decided having leftover/day of sale stock isn't beneficial or worth it anymore and will allow the sub holders/resellers to be the suppliers for the fans who want individual figures or possibly multiples for sub holders who only want one sub.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I do know what they are saying. Basically they have told us we are getting the three pack, what looks to be a two pack and a variant. Variant is most likely NA He-man.

And I would assume there were more cancellations after Ram-man than after King He-man and Fangman. The only reason I could have seen people waiting on He-man (and then Fangman) was in hopes of profit on the figure.

And I am sure there were cancellations, and this will be taking up at least some of the DOS which will most likely reduce the DOS stock for the figures with lower production runs. That I am sure has something to do with it.

But there is the hey people will buy into it because many couldn't last year so that most likely is another reason. I think we need to keep in mind there is often more than just one reason for doing something.
    Scott said in Council Of The first ones podcast #54 that the subs being offered from the 15th to the 30th are using day of sale stock to fill those sub orders so there will be very little to no day of stock on figures. The subs are limited too when they sell out they are gone. It doesn't mean you can get Club Eternia from the 15th to the 30th. they could sell out faster.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar

I've rarely seen a more succinct summation of the problems with Mattel's strategy here. Well stated.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Scott said in Council Of The first ones podcast #54 that the subs being offered from the 15th to the 30th are using day of sale stock to fill those sub orders so there will be very little to no day of stock on figures. The subs are limited too when they sell out they are gone. It doesn't mean you can get Club Eternia from the 15th to the 30th. they could sell out faster.
    It's the stated reason and he is being honest about where the subs are coming from. Chances are when subs are cancelled those items become CS or DOS stock after that point, if they become DOS stock then he also isn't lying when he says it comes from DOS.

Also I never said there were large numbers of cancellations like others have mentioned here. I also don't think because I dislike a particular character every one else buying the figures feels the same way. The only people who know how many cancellations have happened is mattel, and I am sure there have been some. And those who do and still want Mantenna and Two-bad would rather pay the 50-60 bucks the figures will likely go for on the secondary market instead of paying for the almost 400 bucks to purchase the rest of this years stuff (plus whatever next year will cost) with shipping. Again I don't think the number of cancellations is that high, just that there have been 'some' whatever some is.

PR is all about telling people what you want them to hear. They want us to know that DOS stock is going to fulfill the sub lites. They don't want to mention cancelled subs because it outright looks bad. They have been upfront with wanting fewer left over items, and this falls in line with that. It also looks like they are filling a request for fans to reopen subs, like many have asked for. However I do agree with Uaxcuctum in that while this does help out those fans who weren't able to sub last year but can this year, the means of doing so isn't building an overall stronger base. I can tell you there are outright 2 maybe a few more figures going into next year I would like to see. Sweet Bee, Scorpia and possibly some of the Son of He-man stuff which from the sounds of it won't be part of the main sub. I am not opposed to other possible figures but that is until I see them. And if the totally cut off DOS like it looks like they are going for, I will make a deal with a board member for those particular figures. If Son of He-man gets a minisub like Filmation did this year I will sub for that, if I like what they show us. And I would possibly get more DOS in the future if they kept that as an option. About 1/3 of the figures I wanted but didn't want to go through secondary market I got that way.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    I guess these are SOLD OUT now...... right ?
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    I guess these are SOLD OUT now...... right ?
    Not yet. They open back up for sale on the 15th of this month and stay open until they sell out or the 30th.