Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defiance - SyFy TV Show & Trion's MMO video game.

Defiance - SyFy TV Show & Trion's MMO video game.

So... anyone trying these out?

After being somewhat unsure when I saw the first trailers for the show, I'm now pretty excited. I decided to try out the MMO on PS3. I got it today and have been having a blast. There was a bonus disc with the first 15 minutes of the show on it, and I really liked what I saw so far. It seems very ambitious.

I have been waiting for my UE PS3 game to come for the last couple days, reading through the Defiance forums and getting slightly frightened of what I'd get one it finally came. I'm not an MMO guy. Dabbled in City of Heroes a bit. Played WOW for a few months. So I was taking a chance just going all out on the UE. Maybe the delay in getting my game was for the best, because I have to say my experience has been amazing so far.

The patches/updates all installed in under 20 minutes total. Got on the server just fine. Seeing all the cut scenes. And just having a great time. I kind of like not dealing with chat. I know that's not what everyone wants, but I enjoy assisting and getting an assist on the fly during missions without the need for chatting. So, that probably helps my enjoyment.

I had a blast in two Arkfalls. The first one was great and had zero glitching. The second one was more immense, and it did seem the Hellbugs were zipping in and out of existence, but it didn't bother me too much. I just kept moving and shooting. I haven't gone very deep into the customization of weapons yet. I will have to say, I figured everything out, but it might have been nice to have been walked through things a bit more thoroughly. I kind of felt like I was just pushed into the game and then started getting shot at without realizing what the controls were.

The only major glitch I experienced was that at one point I just started taking damage. Nothing seemed to be doing it to me, and when I re-spawned in the same place, I just started taking damage again. This happend 4-5 times (losing scrip it the process) until I just logged out and then back in. But that was the only major annoying thing.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I was considering making a thread about this as I am also looking forward to the tv series and also bought the PS3 one

this one actually

(from a UK store not a canadian one of course )

I got it on release day actually so I had to put up with first day problems, but they weren't that bad and the game is well worth it. I absolutely love doing Arkfalls and last night I was in a pretty epic one with at least 60 - 70 other players all attacking a "Mature Hellbug Hellion"

(not me this is just to give non-players a look at one of these big boss battles)

and not long prior to that I actually managed to destroy a crystal while fighting off Hellbugs and Raiders all by myself.

In fact the only problem I am having is that no matter how long I leave it queued I can NEVER get in to a Shadow War and I have left it on for a few hours. IT usually drops down to about 5 people needed and then rushes all the way back up to 20+ which is a shame as I would love to play in one.

oh here are some facts about my character just in case any other PS3 players happen to see me running around

Character Name: Hank Herchief
    PSN User Name: cthulhu82

Background: Outlaw
    Species: Human
    Current Ego Rating: 187
    Ego Power: Overload
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I heard there is some couple of bugs in the game, especially when there's an invisible Mobs constantly kill you until you die and respawn. but still it's a great game to play.

I'm looking forward to play it on my PC, since it's playable on my machine.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Haven't tried a Shadow War yet, but the Arkfall events are a ton of fun. So far, I feel like I've really just scratched the surface of it all and I've put in about 7 hours total across the last couple days.

I'm not sure how many hours I have put into it since Tuesday, possibly around 10 or so (perhaps more as time seems to fly by). I also agree that Arkfall events are a lot of fun.

So what's your character called JonWes? If I bump into you I shall say hello

Cool, you should. His name is Aric Bane.

cool.

You can find players by their character name using the quick menu so just look for "Hank Herchief" to see if I am on because I am totally open to grouping up and doing some missions, tho I do not join clans because then the members would always expect you to join them when you just want to run around by yourself, but short group ups is totally fine with me.

Also have you signed up to the defiance website and linked your console to it? Because if you enter a bunch of "Arkfall Codes" you unlock a lot of cool stuff for your character

just go to

http://www.defiance.com/en/my-ego/

and enter 120 of these codes

http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Co...all_Codes_List

to unlock all the things on that page
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 5, 2013 at 04:36pm.

Oh yeah, I entered those codes in anticipation.
    That sounds cool. I'm with you. Momentary grouping is fun. But I haven no interest in clans. I actually like to play on my own most of the time, though I think the "on the fly" groupings during missions that happens automatically is cool. It's cool to help someone out or be helped and then just roll on off into the distance again.

Finally got into a Shadow War. Took about 2 hours to get in and lasted about 15 mins

As for the actual Shadow War... Well it was kinda fun apart from a lot of lag which kept making my character freeze and also people riding around on seemingly indestructible vehicles knocking people over (yes in a Shadow War you can get hit by opposing side vehicles) for pretty much insta-deaths.

Not sure if all Shadow Wars are the same but the one I tried it was a basic "capture and hold points" game which started with only A,B & C but then more unlocked until it was up to F.

In the end it was fun to a degree but it is not something I will be rushing to try again, not saying that I won't queue up for one later but now that I have tried one I am not in any super rush to try another one just yet.

To be honest, I haven't even investigated how to get into a Shadow War or a Co-Op or anything. LOL. I do need to try a Shadow War at some point. I wonder why it takes so long to get people? Maybe because they don't make it obvious how to get to it so a lot of people are ignoring it? I suppose having some in-game congregating place that lead to a Shadow War might be nice too.

In order to get into a Shadow War you have to remain in one area of the map. In my case I hung around doing missions in Madera until it finally started. If you move into another area then the count will reset for that new area.

To actually get into a Shadow War or Co-Op

- Press RIGHT on the D-Pad
    - MATCHMAKING
    - Competitive Maps / Shadow War Quick Match / Co-operative Maps

so not that hard

Oh I also decided to do a Gameplay Journal

- - - Updated - - -

I can't wait for the actual show to start

Played Shadow War a couple times, and it was a lot of fun. Sometimes I'd get right in, and sometimes it'd take a bit. I don't quite understand how you capture the bases, though. There doesn't seem to be a prompt. Is it just if you clear out the area and stand near it?

I am really pumped about the show too. I really like how ambitious it seems.

Ya I think it is a case of simply standing next to the bases, provided there isn't any of the opposing team to contest your claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Day two of my journal is now live

http://defiancegj.blogspot.co.uk/

The full pilot is now up on Amazon.com to view for free! Not sure how long it'll last. Haven't watched it yet. Waiting for the partner to get home.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Watched Angry Joe's review of the game. I won't be bothering with either.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Watched Angry Joe's review of the game. I won't be bothering with either.
    Ha! Well if you want to make life decisions based on that guy, more power to you. I tend to prefer to make my own decisions, and not have them made for me by... well... people like him especially.

Just got done watching the pilot. I have to say - I'm very impressed! It was a great opening. The hour and a half (with no commercials) sort of whizzed by. I was pretty blown away by the special effects, especially for television. It's hard to imagine them keeping this up every episode, but it was a good introduction. They certainly put a lot up there on the screen. But I also thought the characters were immediately likable/interesting and involving. They relied on some fairly standard tropes to get things going, but they are already deepening it by the very end of the episode. You only get to know them a little before the episode ends, but I am eager to see what comes next. Some solid scheming going on, and overall it feels like a very vibrant, alive and real place I'll look forward to visiting each Monday.

Now I like Angry Joe but I agree with JonWes, you should make up your own mind and not base your decisions on an internet reviewer.

Look at me.

I HATE MMOs.

Actually I detest them. I can't stand playing games online the vast majority of the time. Yet I LOVE this game.

That is the best review I can give it.

World of Warcraft I last 20 mins on. Champions Online 5 mins and DCUO a few hours. So as you can see me and MMOs do not mix. It is not the rpg element because I love RPG games it is entirely the MMO part of those games that I hated.

Defiance I have been playing for 12 days and have clocked in probably around 40 hours.

No matter what Joe may say, if an MMO can keep me playing for that long and still want to play it then it must be really really damn good

Oh, don't get me wrong I find Angry Joe entertaining enough in small doses but I can't say I've ever taken his opinion seriously about anything positive or negative.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Ha! Well if you want to make life decisions based on that guy, more power to you. I tend to prefer to make my own decisions, and not have them made for me by... well... people like him especially.
    I am not an MMO gamer. In fact, I tend to hate MMOs. However, I knew nothing of this game/series, so I figured since Angry Joe had a review up, it was worth checking out.

Secondly, I am very cautious of the video games I buy these days. I am tired of price drops just weeks after I buy a game. I am tired of games focusing on graphics more than gameplay and story.

Third, I do not like games where you character is wallpaper. One that never speaks, has no personality, no character development, nothing.

Fourth, with the PS4 coming out at the end of the year, I see no reason to buy anything new since I cannot play it on that. The only game I plan to get this year is GTAV, which will be my final current gen game. That's right. I have skipped out on Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and will not be buying The Last of Us.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Tonight's premiere night! Syfy at 8/9pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Third, I do not like games where you character is wallpaper. One that never speaks, has no personality, no character development, nothing.
    From what I've play from all MMO, most Playable character are a wallpaper! except for Guild Wars 2. which have Linear type of Personal character.

Yes, it's a little disappointed because your character doesn't speak while doing a "Linear" quest.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

So the show and the game are related?

Yes, As the company says: it's one of the kind. I've done the backstory episode quest for the movie! Kinda neat too! They did mention about

Moving to Antarctica, and the Crystal.

Also, on the show they mention

Varus and Ara Shondu and the MagLev Project, all of which are elements in the game. Which is fun.
    They feed into each other, but you don't need to do both to get the whole story or anything.

I have totally lost all sound on my copy of the game and it is not a console issue because EVERYTHING else has sound