Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defiance - SyFy TV Show & Trion's MMO video game.

You probably need to wait for the patch when it's done. I've been waiting for the patch like 3 hours now, Hopefully this won't be like the Blizzard Maintenance practice.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

I heard the patch was like 4G! Is that true?

Good news, everyone!
    Defiance off to a great start:
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/syfy...ratings-start/
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

just finished watching the UK Premiere of episode one and here is my review

The beginning was bleh

The middle was meh

The ending was YEAH

want a bit more indepth?

Defiance is generic and boring with a lot of the same cliched characters you see in all these "western" shows such as the ex-military bounty hunter who becomes the local sheriff, his young female companion (in this case his adoptive daughter), the brothel owner with the good heart, the ruthless eternally bickering businessmen whose children are reenacting Romeo and Juliet and one of whom has a wife that would put Lady Macbeth to shame and then their is the Mayor who does the best they can but they (and the majority of the townfolk) obviously have their doubts. Even the look of the buildings and the clothes they wear is all super generic "western"

I shall give it a few more episodes but to be honest this show is close to losing me already.

Still at least the game is still awesome so it isn't a total loss
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 16, 2013 at 07:01pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

You definitely had a different view than me. I don't disagree that a lot of the characters are stock, but I think it's just to get you into the world quickly (which has quite a lot of backstory) and then they are going to start filling them in from there.

So far, it seems like the reception to the show has been pretty positive on the net, compared to the game. Although I like both. There is definite room for improvement, but I think they did a great job with Nolan and Irisa. Certain characters like Doc Yewll and the deputy already stand out as favorites. I enjoy the overall "fun" tone of the show compared to the super-bleakness of shows like The Walking Dead, though I like those shows too. I think overall it's just a lot of fun. If they can develop the characters more over the oncoming weeks I think it'll do very well. The R&J storyline was a let down (and I really don't care for the McCawley family as a whole yet), but I was entertained by the rest. I have to disagree about the look though. Do most westerns feature a town that's a melange of alien buildings, ramshackle cargo containers (and other found objects), and old Earth buildings? The only thing straight-up western are some of the wardrobe choices, though they are usually given a slight tweak... and that is sort of supposed to be part of the point. Everything else is post-apocalyptic or has some pretty alien touches.

An example, which is not even a cool shot of the car or the mechs or anything (because that wouldn't play fair):

Too western? The futuristic cut of the Mayor's dress? The bright purple of the building? The statue of the aliens? The aliens in the crowd? The transparent patterned buildings of the Castithan?

Again, another shot - just a typical interior in the Need Want.

Too western? The bright blue lights? The swirling patterns on the spice-red colored walls? The bright blue drinks? You can't see it, but the Castithan server has a shiny metal breastplate on.

Again, not to hammer it home, but I think design-wise there's a lot of cool little touches that make it anything but your typical western. Unless you're watching some westerns I don't know about.

sure there are a few more straight edges and some extra colorful lights / drinks

But it still has a very very western vibe to it especially the Tony Curran character

still I am glad it is doing well and that you liked it, unfortunately you just can't count me amongst the fans as I really do not like western shows / movies at all. Games I can get some enjoyment out of (and may even like them) but never shows

I get that. I mean, it does have an overall western flair by design. I don't think the storylines will follow that pattern too strongly... but we'll see!
    I'm not a huge western guy either, to be honest, but with the sci-fi stuff it's okay with me.

Oh I am so hoping it will get better as I would love to see 99ers, Scrappers and Raiders as well as the awesome Hellbugs (especially the Monoliths). I even want to see at least one epic Arkfall event with a whole bunch of people from Defiance fighting off a bunch of Hellbugs

If they did that then I would instantly change my mind and love this show but going by the pilot I can't help but feel it is just so boringly and utterly generic

Promo for Episode #2:

Glad they are following up on the guy who ran away from the big fight in the pilot. I thought that moment was odd, not realizing it was a thread they'd pick up!

I liked it. Some parts were pretty corny and the makeup on the albino types with long hair was awful, but the casting people did a great job of casting ladies that aren't hard to look at and the story was decent.

I'm Deejay Aro on the game if anyone wants to find me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I liked it. Some parts were pretty corny and the makeup on the albino types with long hair was awful, but the casting people did a great job of casting ladies that aren't hard to look at and the story was decent.
    Yeah, the Castithan hair could use an upgrade. But, to be honest, I think white hair might just be hard to do right. I'm thinking Storm from the X-men movies.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I'm Deejay Aro on the game if anyone wants to find me!
    Cool, which system? I'm Aric Bane (jon_wes) on PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Yeah, the Castithan hair could use an upgrade. But, to be honest, I think white hair might just be hard to do right. I'm thinking Storm from the X-men movies.

Cool, which system? I'm Aric Bane (jon_wes) on PS3.
    I'm on PS3 as well

did they released PS3 Patch on weekend? do you still have buggy game around in PS3?
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    did they released PS3 Patch on weekend? do you still have buggy game around in PS3?
    I've only had a problem once.....I got stuck by a tree and couldn't move. Had to restart. Otherwise I've been fine.

i have never really known it to be all that buggy on the PS3

the launch patch was horrible, Lotsa bugged regarding Hellbug and instance on the PC and Xbox 360. luckily they manage to put a big patch to fix it all.

BUT, there's couple of stuff have been nerf, like Skitterlings now does damage to player like losing 1 and a half bar.

I very much enjoyed the second episode, "Down In The Ground Where The Dead Men Go." The pace might have felt a bit slow after the breathless introduction of everything in the pilot, but I thought that helped. With the characters introduced, we were able to focus on just a few this time.

I'm actually not sure which plot line was the A and with was the B plot line had about equal screen time. But let's call the Casti ritual plot line A. For that one, I liked some of the questions is posed about different groups trying to live together. Where is the line between preserving traditions and respecting other cultures and holding the whole group to certain standards and laws? Now, the show sort of gave themselves an easy out here. It's too bad that they didn't let the Casti ritual have more merit and thus make the moral quandary more gray. By making the ritual a torture, I feel like we're a bit too easily put on Irisa, Nolan, Amanda and Tommy's side. It doesn't help that Datak is sort of the villain here. I did think they made a pretty good show of explaining the Casti was of looking at things, though, even if the audience sympathies are pretty clear.

As for the B-plot of chasing Ben into Old St. Louis, it provided some nice visuals, to be sure. But even more I liked the chance for Nolan to bond with Rafe McCawley. I didn't think much of Rafe or most of the McCawley's, to be honest, but I thought they acquitted themselves well here, especially Rafe. I really came to like him more, and be more impressed with the performance overall. I did think it was a bit dumb of Nolan not to realize what Ben would do (how does an Indogene have a name like Ben, btw... wonder what his story is...) after McCawley decided not to kill him. But I was intrigued about the hints of what Rafe did to his wife, and the fact that his beloved son really wasn't so pristine clean... and wanted to get away from him.

It's hard to deny that both story lines didn't have quite the climax I might have hoped for. But I was still entertained and enjoyed getting to know these characters more. I am very intrigued by what happened to Irisa to make her hate chains and get her those scars. Maybe that's why she was glad Nolan killed her parents?
    One other note - definite improvements on the production standpoint. Alac's (and pretty much all the Castithan hair) looked much better, for one. And, weirdly, the town felt much more "real" to me this time. It seemed a bit more lived in than in the pilot.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I agree with the "realistic" side of things. I think they limited more "fake panoramic" angled shots, and just did the more realistic, down to earth shots, and this helped with the flow of things.

over all, production, storytelling, acting, this thing is so much better than revolution, though i prefer a revolution style story more than the scifi aspect of this one, I will gladly be watching this one as long as its on. my wife watches it as well, and even pointed out that The girl with red hair, and the deputy could possibly be "love interests" but its not SHOVED down your throat like it is in the show revolution. its just very naturally written. I am interested in seeing more of the races, and explinations of what happened. great show.

Enjoyed Episode 3 - "The Devil In the Dark"

Sort of funny they actually used that title, considering what a famous episode of Star Trek it is. Their solution to the threat was less friendly than in that episode, though. The thing about this episode was that it has a lot of things that usually irritate me about sci-fi shows, but managed to not irritate me so much here.

The Irathients feel a bit too Klingon, to me. And their rituals and mysticism play a bit too much into that here. I usually get annoyed by episodes about visions and rituals and whatever, but this actually worked pretty well for me. Perhaps because it was partly rooted in some drama for Nolan and Irisa concerning Nolan's lack of understanding of Irath beliefs and abilities. Being a worldly man, Nolan doesn't believe they are truly visions, and that makes for some good tension between them. I like that he's pretty jealous of top hat Irath. Speaking of Top Hat Irath, who knew he had that body under there?!?! Sheesh.

I thought Rynn was very sympathetic here. Targeting Christy and the rest of the town? Not great, but I think most would undersand her desire for revenge. Speaking of Christy, I enjoyed how she was trying to fight off the hellbug while Alac was cowering on the ground. Interesting that she was willing to play along with the ruse when Stahma said Alac protected Christy, when it was really the other way around. Anything to get him on her dad's good side, I suppose.

I did have to laugh a bit when Datak told everyone to get upstairs! At first, this didn't make much sense to me. Christy is the only one who has to wash herself and burn her clothes. But then it occurred to me that the Castithan families apparently always bathe together! So was he expecting them all to bundle into the shower, even if they didn't need one? LOL. Were they surprised when they got up there and there was just a small shower and tub? Was Stahma confused that there were no scanty bikinis made of beads to slip into. LOL. I know they just wanted to get the Tarr's out of the room, but I wish this was the reason Datak made them all go upstairs.

I'm sure there will be complaint about the Hellbugs, but as a Doctor Who fan, I though the SFX were very on par with Who. I thought they were well done, and as someone who plays the game it was a lot of fun to see them in the show.

EDIT:

Episode 4:

Thought episode 4 was great. I'm beginning to like all the characters more and more. The flashbacks to Kenya and Amanda's childhoold showed some budget strain, I thought. But nothing too bothersome. The rest was very well done. I really like how complex the relationships within the town are. It doesn't make it easy of anyone, which is great.

I really enjoyed Nolan and Datak's stroll through town where Datak tries to school him, and his immediate uncovering of Datak's scheme to paint himself as a hero was pretty great. As was Datak's complete willingness to admit to it. It was also nice to get to know Amanda and Kenya better. Still not sure what to make of Kenya. She can be a bit on the grating side at times, but the times when she lowers her fun-loving "act" you see a real human being in there. Everyone seems to be settling into their roles nicely here. I am still not sure the guy who plays Quentin is a very good actor, but he does well enough. Also intrigued by what secrets are in mine 07! They do need to stop ending every episode with a song though.

OH- and the show was renewed for Season 2!

You know I have only played the game once since this show started airing. It just sucked any desire I had to play it right out of me

Been playing it now and again. There's a new episode mission that ties in with last week's episode!
    You ever try any further episodes? It's been getting better and better. The western trappings seem a bit less obvious. At least in the recent episodes.

I haven't play the game like a month. Maybe I'll drop by later end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Been playing it now and again. There's a new episode mission that ties in with last week's episode!
    You ever try any further episodes? It's been getting better and better. The western trappings seem a bit less obvious. At least in the recent episodes.
    I have seen them all, well except this weeks but I have it recorded so I will watch it sooner or later.

Apart from finally seeing Hellbugs tho I still just don't like it. Even if it is getting away from the western stuff I simply do not care about the town or any of the people in it. They are just so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    You know I have only played the game once since this show started airing. It just sucked any desire I had to play it right out of me

I too have only played the game once since then....but for a different reason. The baby causes the desire to sleep to out weigh my desire to play

I am actually probably more of a fan of the show than the game right now, to be honest. It's cool we finally got some new episode missions. And i'm still enjoying it. But I don't find a lot to just make me come back again and again. I've not even played through the main story yet. But it's kind of fun just to hope back on a day or two a week, and do some missions and PvP.

I am getting slightly frustrated because it feels like I'm VERY weak right now. I think it's because I haven't progressed through the main story, but have a 626 EGO? I don't know. But I have one set-up with a BMG and a VOT Pulser that is really effective. But all my other load outs seem to get murdered easily. I think part of it might be my shield. I have a pretty powerful purple shield I got very early in the game, and have yet to run across anything better. But I'm going for security over refresh rate. Maybe I should try one of the green ones with a higher refresh but lower hit protection.

---------

Episode 106 - Brothers in Arms

Lots of great stuff in this episode.

•*Pol Madis was a great "insane weapon maker of the week" - I liked that he was kind of shambly and unkempt and insane. Also, it was interesting seeing someone get the drop on Datak Tarr. I like that Tarr (like Nolan) is no fool, but at the same time he can still screw up.

• "Uncle" Eddie. Great actor in a role that could have easily been a total cliche. But the final reveal of his role in Irisa and Nolan's escape made everything he did in the episode make sense.

• Gale Harold! Haven't seen him in a long time. Great chemistry with Amanda. Hope he comes back. I assume he'll survive Eddie's escape.

•*Whoa, Quentin! He's either going insane or the Artifact is directing him. But doing in Birch was pretty brutal. I would have thought he'd have reported it, but I'm guessing Luke (or the Artifact posting as Luke) didn't want him too. Where is all this going? And what does it have to do with a quake in the 1800s? This is great as it instantly makes Quentin more interesting and deepens the overall mystery.

•*Mayor Nikki overplaying her hand and Rafe knowing she is dangerous felt like an abrupt swerve to the left for the character. I thought she was supposed to be pretty well hidden? And if Rafe knows she's dangerous, why hasn't he put together that she hightailed it out of Defiance right before the Volge attack?

• Doc Yewll! Great lines as always. Hints at a more prominent role (I hope!) or at least an episode where she's the main star.

• Nolan solving the Madis issue made sense, and it was a great moment. The layers revealed about him and his "No Man" nickname is a great development for him.

Sadly a break next week with Memorial Day, but maybe I can get some more time in the game that way.