View Poll Results: Are the Fighting Foe Men the new 'Star Sisters'?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Nobody asked for, nor wants them!

36 34.95%
  • No - They are fan demanded and will do fine!

67 65.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Foe Men = The New Star Sisters?

It's really getting old with all this negativity tword POP. Sure the star Sisters were not well received by the Vintage MOTU purists here on the org, but many fans liked them and I saw lots of cheers at the MattyPalooza pannel at SDCC when they were shown.

The MOTUC's line is for Everyone not just the Vintage MOTU purists. It was stated from the very begining this line would have characters from MOTU, POP, POG, 200x and NA. The POP bashing on this site really needs to stop and it's getting old real fast since POP fans will commit to buying a full years Subscription while MOTU vintage purists only want certain characters and fall more into the cherry picker catagory and if Mattel goes the the way of a Subscription only Model for 2014 Cherry pickers either have to jump on board or they are SOL

The FFM are fan demanded but by how many fans is the real question? I think their more obsure than the Star Sisters were since the star sisters were originally planned as toys, But i'm willing to give the FFM a fair shake. I think the real burn to most fans who subscribed is the $75.00 price point.
    Last edited by mjw41; April 7, 2013 at 10:17am.

I'm not voting in the poll, but I want to express my thoughts.

I didn't demand these figures. I don't really know who they are, but I think they look great! I want them.

The Star Sisters do not appeal to me. I don't want them, and would be really annoyed if a subscription forced me to spend $75 on them.

I've never watched an episode of Princess of Power, at least not that I recall. As a kid, it was clear to me that I was not the target audience for the She-Ra cartoon. So, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me now that the figures are combined.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I am really looking forward to adding them to my personal collection, but am fearful that I will take a signigicant loss on them reselling my 30 sets for sale (minus the ones I've sold with a full year of subs). I'm ok with obscure characters making it to the MOTUC's line, but I would definitely prefer they come in single figures, versus sets of three. At the very least, these three packs should be slightly discounted compared to single carded figures. $60 for the 3 pack sounds more reasonable and I think people would be much more favorable to these sort of sets if that was the case.

I personally think the FFM are far more demanded than the SS's!!!! They are one of the very few in the entire line that I do not display in my collection, but still ended up purchasing 4 sets total. My usual 3, plus one cheap on ebay for my niece. I will gladly disply the FFM!!!! They are freaking cool, even though they are really obscure IMO. I think the 4H did as much with the characters as they possibly could.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I'm not voting in the poll, but I want to express my thoughts.

I didn't demand these figures. I don't really know who they are, but I think they look great! I want them.

The Star Sisters do not appeal to me. I don't want them, and would be really annoyed if a subscription forced me to spend $75 on them.

I've never watched an episode of Princess of Power, at least not that I recall. As a kid, it was clear to me that I was not the target audience for the She-Ra cartoon. So, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me now that the figures are combined.
    I don't think it's fair to hinge all of POP's popularity on the perceived success or failure of the Star Sisters. The Star Sisters are basically concept figures, and they appeared briefly in the POP cartoon once. To bash POP constantly using the Star Sisters as an example would be like someone using Vykron to bash the vintage figures.
    As for the target audience of the POP cartoon and toys? Yes, the target audience for the toys were for young girls, but the POP cartoon was for everyone. They had plenty of cross over episodes with He-Man and Skeletor and 2 movie features as well. The Horde in the POP cartoon was also a huge draw for a lot of young boys. It was continuing the mythos that started in He-man and the MOTU. It was popular enough that some He-Man fans even branched out and bought the POP toys to join in with their MOTU.
    The Star Sisters may not appeal to you, and that's fine, but don't try to cut out an entire relevant faction based on your personal opinion. You should try to watch the Secret of the Sword, so at least you can see that we're not all vying for what equates to Strawberry Shortcake in the line, but some actual cool characters that mean something to the overall mythos. Don't judge a book by its cover...
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I think the FFM look ace, but I want to have them in hand for a final judgement. The Star Sisters we're just poorly executed figures IMO, nothing against POP or the characters themselves, the ball just got dropped with them. I hope the finished versions of the FFM dont end up the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I don't think it's fair to hinge all of POP's popularity on the perceived success or failure of the Star Sisters. The Star Sisters are basically concept figures, and they appeared briefly in the POP cartoon once. To bash POP constantly using the Star Sisters as an example would be like someone using Vykron to bash the vintage figures.
    As for the target audience of the POP cartoon and toys? Yes, the target audience for the toys were for young girls, but the POP cartoon was for everyone. They had plenty of cross over episodes with He-Man and Skeletor and 2 movie features as well. The Horde in the POP cartoon was also a huge draw for a lot of young boys. It was continuing the mythos that started in He-man and the MOTU. It was popular enough that some He-Man fans even branched out and bought the POP toys to join in with their MOTU.
    The Star Sisters may not appeal to you, and that's fine, but don't try to cut out an entire relevant faction based on your personal opinion. You should try to watch the Secret of the Sword, so at least you can see that we're not all vying for what equates to Strawberry Shortcake in the line, but some actual cool characters that mean something to the overall mythos. Don't judge a book by its cover...
    Whoah! I kind of think you're aiming fire intended for other posters at me?

I don't have any opinion on POP's POPularity, and I don't think you can justly accuse me of "bashing" POP "constantly!" LOL

Also, I don't think I've made any larger statement than that I wouldn't want to be forced to spend $75 on them. I have hardly "[tried] to cut out an entire relevant faction..."

It may well be that I missed out on something by not giving Princess of Power a chance. I don't know. My impression, as a boy, was that it wasn't meant for boys, and so I skipped it.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I thought it would have made a lot of sense if POP was a separate sub.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    It is always the figures that don't seem all-that-interesting that surprise us the most!

I am looking forward to these guys!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I don't have any opinion on POP's POPularity, and I don't think you can justly accuse me of "bashing" POP "constantly!" LOL

Also, I don't think I've made any larger statement than that I wouldn't want to be forced to spend $75 on them. I have hardly "[tried] to cut out an entire relevant faction..."

It may well be that I missed out on something by not giving Princess of Power a chance. I don't know. My impression, as a boy, was that it wasn't meant for boys, and so I skipped it.
    Sorry, LOL, you are 100% correct, I did do that. And I do apologize. It was late for me here and I was tired. I basically just wanted to suggest you watch the secret of the sword, and then it snowballed into that. Not really directed at you, but at the fans that take any opportunity, no matter how small, to blast POP. I like it all equally (vintage, POP, NA, etc).

I will agree that $75 dollars for a 3 pack of relative unknowns is a tough pill to swallow. I think that's the long and short of it really. Had the 3 pack been characters more relevant, like instead of the Star Sisters, a Great Rebellion 3 pack like Glimmer, Angella, and Mermista, or instead of the FFM, a movie pack like Blade, Gwildor, and Saurod. At least then people know the characters and the character selection moves us closer to the final goal of completion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    I thought it would have made a lot of sense if POP was a separate sub.
    I go back and forth on this, part of me would want it because then I could them faster, but then it would indicate that NA, 200x, Filmation, etc should all be separate subs, and that creates a big problem for longevity. There wouldn't be any.
    I think it'd be better if instead of heavy months financially and light months, if mattel took the years total and averaged it out into equal payments.
    That way, when a 3 pack comes along it's not such a blow, but more of a celebration. Yay, it's 3 pack month!
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I didn't vote... here's why:

I don't think the FFM are the new Star Sisters... I don't think the Star Sisters are bad. I do KNOW that they were fan-demanded. The FFM were not, no matter how many times Scott wants to say they were.

They are cool... I want them. They are over-priced, though. Multi-packs should be cheaper than the normal cost of however many figures they contain. For example, 2-packs should be $45, not $50. Three-packs should be $65 or $70, not $75... especially when the characters were never prototypes or developed characters, and just appeared in box art, once, for products not made by Mattel (the FFM being produced kind of kills Scott's argument that Illumina shouldn't be made because she appeared in one panel in an ad in a comic). lol

So while I do think the SS were wanted by some and aren't a negative... and while I do think the FFM are cool... I don't think they were fan-demanded.

To be fair, you did say, "As a kid, it was clear to me that I was not the target audience for the She-Ra cartoon. So, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me now that the figures are combined."

I'd suggest giving the characters a try and thinking of them as new MOTU characters that you've never experienced before. Honestly, as a kid, I never saw a difference. Maybe I was young enough not to notice. But MOTUC including everything does make sense, as it is a line that draws on all sources. I love that, and it's a lot more fun that way.

We aren't kids anymore. We can decide what we like or don't like based solely on our own taste. Forcing yourself, perhaps subconsciously, not to experience characters because you saw them marketed to girls in the 80s (and I'd argue that that was the toy line only, and not the cartoon) doesn't seem fair to yourself

I'd also argue that just because that part of the mythos focuses on a female doesn't mean it's solely for females, and vice versa for He-Man
    Last edited by bcrduke; April 8, 2013 at 02:42pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I love the Star Sisters and I love the Fighting Foe Men....so, in the strictest technical sense, in my opinion, yes, the Foe Men ARE the new Star Sisters, but that's not a bad thing in my world. To say that neither set were requested though is just not true. Saying that there is a large number of people who didn't requestion could be accurate, but that could be said about a lot of characters who have ended up receiving mass love from the community.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I love the Star Sisters and I love the Fighting Foe Men....so, in the strictest technical sense, in my opinion, yes, the Foe Men ARE the new Star Sisters, but that's not a bad thing in my world. To say that neither set were requested though is just not true. Saying that there is a large number of people who didn't requestion could be accurate, but that could be said about a lot of characters who have ended up receiving mass love from the community.
    Good points

I think I just meant that the Star Sisters had more people asking for them for many years, whereas the FFM were not thought of as a team of pilots and weren't asked for as such, etc.

I love both sets too, so I'm happy
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Good points

I think I just meant that the Star Sisters had more people asking for them for many years, whereas the FFM were not thought of as a team of pilots and weren't asked for as such, etc.

I love both sets too, so I'm happy
    This is true, the Star Sisters had a more established concept and were known about for much longer than the Foe Men. And I would say that no one would have thought the Foe Men would end up being the vehicle pilots before they were revealed last year. Though, I do think it was clever to associate the two together. I think had the Foe Men's design been completely made up from scratch and put into a three pack to this year's sub, we may not have one this year .

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I didn't vote either because I actually wanted the Star Sisters, and I couldn't care less about the FFM. Aside from the fact that they're both three packs, I don't even see how you can compare the two. Whether you like PoP or not, the fact of the matter is that the Star Sisters were the PoP equivalent to PoG. They are no more obscure than He-ro, and perhaps even less so. Making figures of the FFM is akin to making figures of Josh or TWIY, save for the fact that Josh and TWIY actually made legit (albiet minor) appearances in storyline. If we're just going to get three background nobodies, I'd rather get King Hiss' Slave Girl in brunette, blonde, and redhead.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I won't vote on this poll because neither answer fits my stance on the FFM. I don't particularly care for the Star Sisters and did not want to purchase them. The FFM I slightly care about and could convince myself to purchase them but not at the super-inflated non-subscriber price with Digital River shipping and "handling" costs as well as tax. I can wait until they are on clearance somewhere or if I never get them, that's cool as well.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I like both the Sisters and the Foe Men. But I like wackiness.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

I am a bit more accepting of the two packs being full price because they tend to come with a fair number of pack-ins, of course they are mostly reused parts for the figure itself.

I didn't actually vote because I think there are different reasons for what will happen to both sets aside from one primary one and that is cost. I like the Foe men enough to purchase them, but I don't hate the Star Sisters I am just meh about them. I did pick up Tallstar's head though which I think is the best thing about these three.

What will likely happen is the FFM will peg warm because of price, unless they adjusted numbers for them. That is really the only way they are similar aside from being a three pack and having not much presence. Of course that is a likely since the .orgs response hasn't really been outright negative towards them.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

No. I didn't demand them either but they'll do just fine for me.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    I too understand the feelings on both sides about the Star Sisters- and the FFM, but...
    If anyone's looking to offload their supply, please PM me. I've LOTS of female custom characters to build, and I consider the Sisters to be perfect for quite a few! And, I'll bet I can find a spot for any FFM refugees...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I voted on this poll but I don't agree with the assumptions. First of all If I remember correctly the SS actually Sold out were indeed Fan Demanded (to some degree). The Fighting Foe Men were demanded by the few who actually were fortunate to stumble upon the Model Kit Pictures (thank god for the guy who posted these model kit pics on the org.) and I must admit that I was definitely in the camp of people who actively campaigned for these figs to be made.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Heroic Warrior
    Epic fail, only demanded by a minority on the boards, too expensive and too obscure...

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    No they aren't the "New Star Sisters". I can't vote for either option because they are somewhere in the middle of the two extremes.

They aren't the "New Star Sisters" because they are going to cost quite a bit more. Also the Star Sisters WERE in the She-Ra cartoon, She-Ra magazine, etc... They were out there back in the day even if they are quite a bit obscure. The only thing the Fighting Foe Men have going for them in that department is the vehicle likenesses for their weapons.

I like the Star Sisters and the Fighting Foe Men look cool. The only legit complaint about them is the $75 + shipping/tax pricetag. I'd take the Star Sisters allllll day at their original price over the Fighting Foe Men and their 2013 inflation price.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The overall scandal concerning the FFM AND the Star Sisters was the price and packing of them.

For characters not solid in the previous lines this made them a purchasing risk. Now the star Sisters did make it to the POP Series so that should give them more legitimacy, whereas the FFM only appeared in artwork only. But the problem (if there really is) was when it was decided to pack them out as a three pack, the price isn't too bad considering you are paying for 3 figures which on their own are 20-5 bucks at the time. I understand Scott stating the reason this was done was to not tie up regular monthly slots with figures that many may not want (?), but by packing them out as they were helped get them made and out of the way quickly; was also a high end risk as well. I think they could've sold well as singles and if spread out well; cause the demand to make them a complete group would've been a good sell point as well. Plus it would've allowed the Horsemen to work on them just a bit more. I think the real problem was Scott pushing the majority of these concepts faster than mainstays too soon and too fast. I'd buy FFM separately as would've the Star Sisters as I am a completist and will still purchase regardless, but I think that's where Scott misses some of valid reasons for this backlash.

The problem on our part was we were all giddy at first for the concepts (and eating them up) and once Mattel figured that this would be a great way to stretch the line out by kicking out so many they forgot that it would get old real fast. And with things like the line potentially dying, the backlash and attitudes have gotten worse since this now means we may not get everything actually made in the previous lines. Though as a business I can see why Mattel would do it this way, but I really wish they would've found some balance.

Both sets of figure are just as just as others and in some cases even better, IMO (Cy-Chop) Just saying!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Blah ya cant please everyone these days.... i for one REALLY WANT THESE....im rather excited for them...
    i hate hate HATED the stars sissys at first..but now i dig em.... i think honesty Matty/MOTUC could make any characters and id buy it..i just really love these figures.. that being said i want a Don Knotts as Keldor MOTUC figure NOW!
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Blah ya cant please everyone these days.... i for one REALLY WANT THESE....im rather excited for them...
    i hate hate HATED the stars sissys at first..but now i dig em.... i think honesty Matty/MOTUC could make any characters and id buy it..i just really love these figures.. that being said i want a Don Knotts as Keldor MOTUC figure NOW!
    I don't hate the star sisters but I like them WAAAAAAAAY less than when I first got em.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure