Thread: Choose Your Top Ten Filmation She-Ra Princess of Power Episodes!

Choose Your Top Ten Filmation She-Ra Princess of Power Episodes!

Hi She-Ravers, there have been a few threads created recently that were looking at fans top 10 choices of episodes from the different cartoons within the entire MOTU/POP franchise. I would love to see what POP episodes you guys and gals would choose as the cream of the crop. I thought I would open a thread as it's been a few years since the BCI dvds were released and POP fans only got to choose five episodes back then as the SOTS had to be a part of that release. I wonder if we would still choose those episodes today or would they be different? Many of the top five episodes on the BCI dvds were MOTU crossovers (which are fantastic), but there are many other POP episodes that shine in their own right. Here are my top ten choices which do include some crossover episodes.

1) -Enchanted Castle
    2) -Crystal Castle (Faviourate Episode Ever...True Essence of POP!)
    3) -Stone in the Sword
    4) -Eldrich Mist
    5) -Mines of Mondor
    6) -Into The Dark Dimension
    7) -Price of Freedom
    8) -Something Old, Something New
    9) -Darksmoke & Fire (Second Faviourate)
    10)-Lookie Lends a Hand

I personally have not included the first five episodes of the show/SOTS film in the episode count as I personally see the Secret of the Sword as ESSENTIAL pre-viewing before even trying to answer the question what episodes are the best of POP. However if you feel differently please do include any of the first 5 episodes.

Personally I found choosing 10 episodes HARD!!!!... There are SOOOOOOOO many fantastic She-Ra episodes that I really needed about 15 or more slots to actually mention the best of the best from POP. I would love to see what other episodes She-Raver's out there consider to be the best of POP?
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 10, 2011 at 12:32am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

1. anchors aloft
    2. treasure of the first ones
    3. unicorn king
    4. Sweet bees home
    5. Duel at Devlan
    6. The price of power
    7. Zoo story
    8. Trolls dream
    9. Stone in the sword
    10. The anxious apprentice

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Removing the SOTS episodes out of the picture...

The Stone in the Sword
    Huntara
    Gateway to Trouble
    Price of Freedom
    Sweet Bee's Home
    Of Shadows and Skulls
    Darksmoke and Fire
    Loo-Kee Lends a Hand
    Unexpected Ally
    The Sea Hawk

Stone in the Sword is my all-time favorite She-Ra episode. Besides the fact it has Adora , it also showed kids that you don't need the super-powers to get the task done.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I am not familiar enough with the entire series for a full top ten, but here are some that I really liked.

Black Snow
    Assault on the Hive
    Flowers for Hordak
    Into Etheria
    The Rock People
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I'm not familiar with all the eps of She-Ra, but my top 10 would be....

(SOTS not included)

1. Three Courageous Hearts--I LOVE this ep especially the part where Madam makes a bed instead of a sled. The animation rocks in this scene.

2. The Crystal Castle---King Ahgo rules! Weaver is truly creepy here.

3. Horde Prime Takes a Holiday---Skeletor beats down Hordak. Need I say more?

4. The Stone in the Sword--a great showing for Adora, but I always wondered why she didn't try to contact the Sorceress instead of Light Hope.

5. The Eldritch(sp) Mist--Castapella has a crush on Adam.

6. Anchors Aloft I & II---Sea Hawk is awesome here, and I like his relationship with Adora. Some parts remind me of the Goonies.

7. Of Shadows and Skulls---Skeletor and Weaver team up and take down both She-Ra AND Hordak. "I should come to Etheria more often!"

8. Loo Kee Lends a Hand---the Horde comes off as really menacing here. A fun ep all around.

9. Flowers for Hordak--laugh out loud funny. Who can forget the Horde Troopers in the conga line with Perfuma?

10. Having a brain cramp. Maybe I'll change this one later.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

This is a difficult one, especially since I can quote a lot of the She-Ra shows!!! Excluding SOTS or TSOS, I'll dedicate half my list to crossovers and the others to non-crossovers!!!

(Top 5 Crossovers)

5. The Price of Freedom--Its truly the best of the series--the sorrow in She-Ra's voice is heartbreaking.
    4. Shades of Orko--Just because I love the mix of characters once again--its not the greatest episode but I always enjoy it.
    3. Assault On the Hive--I love the mix of characters and the idea of He-Man and She-Ra going on a mission in outerspace.
    2. Darksmoke and Fire--I love this one because there's NO He-Man in it... She-Ra and Granamyr; does life get any better?!
    1. The Inspector--There's so many reasons I love this episode, but I think what I love the most is the fact that Adora could care less about recovering her sword; her main goal is saving her friends.

(Top 5 Non-Crossovers)

5. Book Burning--The Horde gets all 1984 on the Rebels, in an attempt to erase the history of Etheria!!! I loved the inclusion of Tung Lashor and Rattlor as villains in this one as well.
    4. Swifty's Baby--Although many would see it as just stock from "Unicorn King," this is a pretty heavy episode. When She-Ra discovers Swifty on the beach after he's shot down is so dramatic. Then, the fear of the dungeon of Beast Island flooding...
    3. Micah of Bright Moon--I wish he would've been included in the show... this is a great one from Robert Lamb! Angella calling Glimmer "Sunshine" is so sweet.
    2. The Price of Power--Great action as well as the origin of Shadow Weaver and the beginnings of the Horde invasion on Etheria.
    1. Treasure of the First Ones--This one is fast-paced, action packed, and who could not love the sword fight between Octavia and Hawk!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm not familiar with all the eps of She-Ra, but my top 10 would be....

(SOTS not included)

1. Three Courageous Hearts--I LOVE this ep especially the part where Madam makes a bed instead of a sled. The animation rocks in this scene.

2. The Crystal Castle---King Ahgo rules! Weaver is truly creepy here.

3. Horde Prime Takes a Holiday---Skeletor beats down Hordak. Need I say more?

4. The Stone in the Sword--a great showing for Adora, but I always wondered why she didn't try to contact the Sorceress instead of Light Hope.

5. The Eldritch(sp) Mist--Castapella has a crush on Adam.

6. Anchors Aloft I & II---Sea Hawk is awesome here, and I like his relationship with Adora. Some parts remind me of the Goonies.

7. Of Shadows and Skulls---Skeletor and Weaver team up and take down both She-Ra AND Hordak. "I should come to Etheria more often!"

8. Loo Kee Lends a Hand---the Horde comes off as really menacing here. A fun ep all around.

9. Flowers for Hordak--laugh out loud funny. Who can forget the Horde Troopers in the conga line with Perfuma?

10. Having a brain cramp. Maybe I'll change this one later.
    Light Hope was Adora's Etherian equivalent to the Sorceress...
    Last edited by TheLegacy; November 14, 2011 at 08:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Please check out my new fan-fiction and critique blog, Masters of the Universe: Legacies!

Episode #1: "Brave New Eternia or Etherian Epitaphs" is available to read NOW!!

Part 1 of a 2 part introduction of a 13 episodic arc!!!

What will be your Legacy?

Blue you are so right about that bed scene. It's always stayed with me as a fun moment in the episode. I even kind of like that the Valley of the Lost is revealed to have a library, unexpected as that was.

Angel-T, I'm right there with you on The Crystal Castle. I still can't believe it wasn't included on the SOTS/Best of She-Ra DVDs that WE voted for. Incredible. How could we allow people who were picking up that DVD to rediscover She-Ra go without knowing how the Crystal Castle was introduced to our heroine??

A shame hangs over this community. Kinda

You guys have covered most of my favourites, so all I'll just say is Return of the General. I massively love this episode, because it's such a great follow-up to An Unexpected Ally. Goes to show just how mature the writing could be on this series, with Sunder being allowed to start over. Jumping a few years into the future and seeing his family...and then him possible lose them...was powerful.

I actually disagree. I don't think The Crystal Castle is a very strong episode except for the moral of the story. She found the castle way too easily after Ahgo drops his hint and we never get any real in-depth information about the Castle.

I also thought it was very odd at how Madam Razz was telling the children the story where there were Adora to She-Ra aspects in it which Razz wouldn't be revealing. Guess she threw in an "Adora went and found She-Ra" type deal we didn't hear...

I will have to disagree with you there Jon. I think it's a very strong episode, without even a sniff of He-Man, the Sorceress, Skeletor, Hordak or Eternia's influance in sight.

We get to see Shadow Weaver in probably one of the most independently powerful positions she has ever been in. Totally evil and a true threat in her own right. Serious magical power being used and how high the stakes are if Brightmoon falls. We see the extream lengths the rebellion's magic users will go to in order to defend brightmoon, which was moments away from being taken by the Horde.

We see Angella as a BAD ASS... "Back to your holes Hordesmen, you will not take Castle Brightmoon this night!!!"... BOOM... they are all vaporised by her increased power. We are introduced to the Trolls and Ago (who is an incredable character) and as you mentioned the strong moral focus of the episode. Finally the Crystal Castle is revealed, which was a big thing in my mind. Angella gives important info about the castle at the beginning of the episode, being the home of the first ones, founders of Etheria, The importance of the castle is played up as a symbol of freedom and hope for Etheria and the rebellion was a very important aspect for the series (even though it was not really played up much after this episode).

We see the starting of one of She-Ra's most important relationships as both a hero, and also as just a person who has had this emence power and responsibility placed on her shoulders. Light Hope places him self as both her friend and guide and tells her the Castle is her sanctuary. After She-Ra has spead up the clock that measures out all time at the centre of Etheria and the moons power fills Angella again. I think the conversation that takes place between She-Ra and Light Hope is one of the most heart felt and touching of the entire series....on par with when He-Man finally bids farewell to She-Ra at the end of SOTS.

Mystery, desperation, threat, incredable magical power, a quest to find the castle, the high moral focus, danger, the revelation of one of the most important elements of She-Ra's story (the castle and Light Hope) not to mention the incredable amount of heart. I think "The Crystal Castle is one of the most underestemated episodes of POP! There were a few filmation glitches like you mentioned about Madam Razz. But I just always assumed it was her flash back memory we were seeing at the start and the episode just took over from that point and when we come back to her sat at the fire with the kids nothing had been revealed to them by Razz that would comprimise She-Ra or the castle.

I would agree with you that She-Ra found the castle very quickly, but then again Teelana also found Castle Grayskull very quickly, and I didn't find her story any less believeable for finding Grayskull within one episode, heck we never even saw Adam find Grayskull. I will conceed there is a lot going on in this episode and if it was a two parter it could have been fleshed out quite a bit more than it was. But I still think Larry captured the true essence of POP in this episode. For me this is my ultimate episode of POP away from SOTS.

I encourage any all fans to watch the episode and see what they think. For me this episode grabbed me when I was a kid and still does today. Larry Ditillio also stated that he thinks The Crystal Castle was one of the stronger episodes he wrote for POP. This was on Chris Vints Chronicals of Grayskull Pod cast that interviewed Larry.
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 16, 2011 at 02:09pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Blue you are so right about that bed scene. It's always stayed with me as a fun moment in the episode. I even kind of like that the Valley of the Lost is revealed to have a library, unexpected as that was.
    I'm glad you liked it too. Three Courageous Hearts doesn't get enough attention. It's a great episode with its own charm and a perfect children's story about a ground of under-dogs saving the day.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Larry Ditillio also stated that he thinks The Crystal Castle was one of the stronger episodes he wrote for POP. This was on Chris Vints Chronicals of Grayskull Pod cast that interviewed Larry.
    You know I love Larry, but I just don't feel it on this one. In my previous post I forgot to mention that whole "speeding up of the clock" plot device. That is also one of the failures of the episode for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a clunker like "The Missing Ax" -- I just don't think it is strong enough for a top 10. I wish there was more emphasis on the castle itself, given the title.

10 stone in the sword
    9 gateway to trouble
    8 black snow
    7 king miros journey
    6 assault of the hive
    5 trolls dream
    4 anchors aloft
    3 of darksmoke and fire
    2 price of power
    1 horde prime takes a holiday

these r my faves for plotlines animation and emotional moments in the series
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Not sure if I can think of 10 but i'll think of the ones that stand out

"Flowers for hordak"(fave ep)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

My list:

1- The Stone in the Sword
    2- The Crystal Castle
    3- Of Shadows and Skulls
    4- The Price of Freedom
    5- Huntara
    6- Into the Dark Dimension
    7- Loo-Kee Lends a Hand
    8- Darksmoke and Fire
    9- Sweet Bees's Home
    10-Assault on the Hive

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

Angel-T, I'm right there with you on The Crystal Castle. I still can't believe it wasn't included on the SOTS/Best of She-Ra DVDs that WE voted for. Incredible. How could we allow people who were picking up that DVD to rediscover She-Ra go without knowing how the Crystal Castle was introduced to our heroine??

A shame hangs over this community. Kinda

You guys have covered most of my favourites, so all I'll just say is Return of the General. I massively love this episode, because it's such a great follow-up to An Unexpected Ally. Goes to show just how mature the writing could be on this series, with Sunder being allowed to start over. Jumping a few years into the future and seeing his family...and then him possible lose them...was powerful.
    In BRAZIL, the company that purchased the rights to released She-Ra' DVD boxes did not acquire the Second Season.

So, when they released the SOTS/Best of She-Ra DVD, 'Sweet Bee's Home' (from Second Season) was changed by 'The Crystal Castle' (from First Season). I don't know how they chose that episode but it's real !!!!

Unfortunately, that company did not changed the episode guide insert and Sweet Bee's picture is still in it, even the name "Crystal Castle" had changed.
    Last edited by Monteeg; November 23, 2011 at 06:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I know this is a broad sweep of episodes and don't know them by name. However, when I would get home from school, I would hope for the He-man/She-Ra cross-over.

I would be able to spot wether it was or not based of the music and extended intro that He-Man would be there.

To be honest, I wasn't really a fan of She-Ra itself; but the girls needed a hero too.

Into Etheria2014-03-26 18_27_16 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe She-Ra Princess of Power Bow and Pr.jpg
    Beast Island
    She-Ra Unchained
    Reunions
    Battle for Bright Moon
    Loo-Kee Lends A Hand
    The Stone In the Sword
    The Crystal Castle
    The Time Transformer
    Return of the General2014-03-27 12_55_25 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe She-Ra Princess of Power She-Ra.jpg
    2 HIGH PRIESTESS 3 EMPRESS SHE-MAN MASTERS
    He-Man Masters of the Universe Classics Princess of Power She-Ra Bow
    http://mastersoftheuniverseclassicsh...assics-images/

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
    This is a difficult one, especially since I can quote a lot of the She-Ra shows!!! Excluding SOTS or TSOS, I'll dedicate half my list to crossovers and the others to non-crossovers!!!
    I know SOTS, but what is "TSOS"?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"