Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think She-ra would have gone on longer if.......

Heroic Warrior

Do you think She-ra would have gone on longer if.......

He-man was cancelled when it was really popular among boys and girls (ie. girls were buying He-man toys too). She-ra was created as its own entity, using the success of He-man, to go after the little girl market.

I can't help but think that by making She-ra so separate, and more powerful than He-man, that it alienated the base market (ie. He-man fans) that kept the show going.

I feel like they should have integrated She-ra more into the He-man cartoon and vice versa (ie. integrated He-man more into the She-ra cartoon), and made them essentially one.

In my opinion, they were better together than they were apart. They complemented each other so beautifully and perfectly.

I noticed that in the last season of She-ra they tried to include more cross-over shows, with Adam/He-man visiting Etheria, in order I think to draw back the He-man fans that had made the franchise successful in the first place. But it was really too late at that point. Mattel and Filmation had already decided to go back to marketing to boys again (ie. the ones who buy most of their toys).

How could you cancel He-man and She-ra, and move on to Bravestarr? I think they realized they made a mistake by snubbing the little boys who faithfully bought the He-man toys. For example Transformers and GI Joe have gone on still to this day because boys consistently and reliably buy those toys even into their teen and adult years.

I believe that it was bad marketing that killed the show. Sure artistically She-ra was a great piece of art, better probably than He-man. But by neglecting the business side (ie. who your loyal audience is----He-man fans), it lost traction.

Do you have any other ideas on how She-ra could have been saved from cancellation. I know hindsight is 20-20.

I just feel it's so tragic that the show was killed before the story could be completed with a happy ending (ie. Adora going back to Eternia to take her rightful place as Princess, after freeing Etheria from the Horde).
    Last edited by dura_grip; April 6, 2013 at 05:53pm.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    i think she-ra was a strong show on it's own... i didn't mind the cross-overs, and actually thought it was cool, but i'm glad the majority of the show was just she-ra and her friends on etheria. honestly, i'm not sure why it wasn't more successful... i LOVED it. (obviously, because here i am as an adult still talking about how awesome it was...) at any rate, that kind of role model is important for girls and is usually lacking. unfortunately, i think the show was too 'wholesome' to make it any longer. he-man, too. remember, he was already canceled by the time she-ra came around. cartoons got edgier, quicker, more-fight-scenes-less-conversation-ish.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

I honestly think the huge target market outgrew it all.

We didn't lol, but most of our friends did.

I never felt like She-Ra alienated the He-Man fan in me. It was just more of a good thing, and at that point, even though the he-man cartoon was just repeats, both were shown together in many markets as a "power hour"

I am not sure that there was much to be done.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I wanted more cross-over episodes, not only Adam coming to Etheria but I also wanted episodes where Adora visits Eternia.

I think the reason why "Horde Prime Takes a Holiday" is such a top-ranked episode is because of the powerful scenes of:

1. Adam having dinner with Adora and her friends, laughing and socializing, in the Whispering Woods.

and

2. He-man and She-ra standing together in the palace courtyard
    back on Eternia giving the moral with Orko.

The two together were greater than the sum of the parts. The twins united would truly "Have The Power" and would have saved the show from cancellation in my opinion. With the combined power of She-ra and He-man as a team the show would have survived and thrived.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

I never felt like She-Ra alienated the He-Man fan in me. It was just more of a good thing, and at that point, even though the he-man cartoon was just repeats, both were shown together in many markets as a "power hour"

I couldn't agree more....

It's a shame the show didn't last longer. It would have been nice for another movie to at the very least wrap everything up rather than end abruptly and NA just starting off when so many things happened inbetween. I believe in show, don't tell.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    From my perspective, the She-Ra Filmation series was immensely successful as it was very popular among the girls at my school here in the UK. I would even say She-Ra was more popular than any other superheroine around at the time (e.g. Supergirl, Wonder Woman) here in the UK. Us boys of course couldn’t openly say we liked a TV Series with a ‘girl’ lead though!!!! And there in lies one of the problems as part of the audience was automatically excluded because of the unnecessary masculine culture of the time.

Nevertheless the Filmation series could in several ways be said to be ahead of it times. For example, She-Ra could be said to be the first of the bad girl (Despara / Force Captain Adora) come good girl (She-Ra) heroines that became popular in the 1990’s and 2000’s (e.g. Buffy, Lady Death, Vampirella, Witchblade, Xena). Consequently, if Mattel had continued to invest and market She-Ra through the Filmation Series, a live action series or other media and continued to develop (or reinvent) her character while still retaining her core principles (e.g. introducing new original stories, pushing the boundaries of what was the norm) she might now be recognised as the pre-eminent superheroine in the world today.

The real question is how to get She-Ra successfully relauched. And to me this comes down to why I really like She-Ra. It’s her Filmation series which reminds me of modern English translations of William Shakespeare with their insights into people from various walks of life, periods of heighten tension or excitement and their rich stories involving tragedy, history and comedy. She therefore needs some good comics, graphic novels or other fantasy literature (like the Harry Potter book series) to catch the latest generations imagination.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Heroic Warrior
    I believe the Filmation He-man and She-ra series would have gone on for years if at the end of "The Secret of the Sword" She-ra would have gone back to Eternia with He-man.

They could have commuted back and forth to Etheria via the Sorceress' portal in Castle Grayskull. I think the audience, especially little girls, wanted Adora to live at the palace as a princess.

When this did not happen, I think the fans felt cheated and sad.

they could have made he-man and she-ra travel back in time, stop hordak from stealing them as babies, and then grow up with their families... but that would have been a little anti-climactic. i think.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------

Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    they could have made he-man and she-ra travel back in time, stop hordak from stealing them as babies...

They could travel back in time to steal Hordak as baby and raise him good, that way they would save them trouble and without evil Hordak, Skeletor would be without a teacher...
    Then they could go to Earth and get mungos to create Mungos Men race to defeat (or eat) Snake Men as soon as they arrive on Preternia... So the series will end after just a few episodes.

Heroic Warrior
    The hardship and tragedy Adora went through made her a more relatable and sympathetic character. I don't want to lose that richness of her story.

I love the concept of time travel; very cool.

However, to preserve the integrity and premises of the show I would say Adora would need to live at the palace and fulfill her responsibilities as Princess of Eternia. And commute via Castle Grayskull to Etheria to help The Great Rebellion. This duality would have satisfied all audiences and made her more interesting to a wider variety of viewers. It would have been an excellent compromise and win-win solution. I couldn't think of a more elegant way to keep the show going.

The symbols and characters on Eternia should have been carried over because they were what propelled the show to success in the first place. The Sorceress and Castle Grayskull should have remained central to the show because without them He-man and She-ra would not exist.

Also, Adora's princess status is what made her the chosen one to inherit the power. The show should have emphasized that more by having episodes where she is at the palace honoring her obligations as princess of Eternia.

Quote Originally Posted by dura_grip View Post
    Also, Adora's princess status is what made her the chosen one to inherit the power.
    I always thought that in Filmation they explained that Adam and Adora inherited the responsibility because they were Chosen Ones and they had something within them.
    It has nothing to do with titles "prince" or "princess" and I can't for the life of me ever recall it being alluded to that.

Personally I do consider that since Adam and Adora are half-Eternian and half-Earthlings is part of what makes them special from other Eternians or Etherians.
    No blood-line story or anything.

The problem with her remaining on Eternia to fulfill her "royal duties" is that she was not raised as a princess, but as a warrior. She is not simply a female Adam and to define her as such would be more a disservice to her character than putting her in a damsel-in-distress category. She is more famiiar with the battle campaign than life as member of the royal court. I personally think the tragedy would be she helped keep a world enslaved and then when throwing off the enchantment she was under, she ran off to play in the palace in lieu of taking a proactive role in freeing the planet. Plus, if she is on Eternia, she has no personal investment in the battle on Etheria (which in all fairness is the world she would recognize as hers since it was where she was raised.) Let's not forget also that though she has been reunited with her family, it would be awkward for her to move back in with them immediately--she would rebuild there relationship slowly (much like adopted people when finding their birth family take time to adjust to their "new" family members.) So really I don't see a tragedy but several natural progressions taking place.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Interesting point and since we're speculating; Imagine then if both of these shows had matured in both theme and presentation WITH the audience. That might have given them a few more years.

Heroic Warrior
    "The Secret of the Sword" established that Hordak and his army were no match for King Randor and Man-At-Arms leading the Royal Guard. Adora could have used her Princess status to command her father's army to defeat the Horde on Etheria. Also, the Sorceress faced the Horde before and banished them in "The Origin of the Sorceress".

In "The Secret of the Sword", Adora's whole family banded around her. She was their sweetheart. And the family that fights together sticks together.

I think the over-arching theme of a planet and its people being oppressed by the Horde was too melancholy and depressing for most little kids. It made the show too heavy and serious.

I think if they could have focused more on Adora and her personal story, background, and significant relationships the show would have had more legs.

I believe Adora needed to get to know and form a relationship with her mother. Queen Marlena was an astronaut, which explains Adora's adventurous side. Filmation threw away this potentially beautiful angle. I believe adding this storyline could have drawn in more little girls as fans.

It would have been nice to have at least one episode with Adora attempting to adjust to royal lifestyle on Eternia. Which would have her think "this is what I'm going to be coming home to?"

Mattel gives up on everything but Barbie and hot Wheels, Hasbro keeps trying. GI JOE and Transformers fell FAR from grace but Hasbro kept pushing until they hit again, hell GI Joe still isn't the juggernaut it once was, but Hasbro keeps pushing on. That's all it amounts to really. If they kept He-man going with new episodes and a new direction like they were SUPPOSED to do and then did she-ra as a separate show, we never know but MOTU would have lasted at LEAST another year with new product She-ra I don't know.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    In retrospect it might have been better to have Adam travel to Etheria to find his soulmate Adora.

Together they would have been able to compete with Barbie and Ken, and blow them out of the market.

This strategy would have brought in enough revenue from Mattel to keep Filmation and the He-man and She-ra cartoons going for years.

Perhaps today people would be talking about He-man and She-ra as icons, instead of Ken and Barbie.

Just as Facebook knocked MySpace into oblivion.

He-man and She-ra are just a better product than Ken and Barbie, in the same respect Facebook was a better product than MySpace.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    In retrospect it might have been better to have Adam travel to Etheria to find his soulmate Adora.

Together they would have been able to compete with Barbie and Ken, and blow them out of the market.

This strategy would have brought in enough revenue from Mattel to keep Filmation and the He-man and She-ra cartoons going for years.

Perhaps today people would be talking about He-man and She-ra as icons, instead of Ken and Barbie.

Just as Facebook knocked MySpace into oblivion.

He-man and She-ra are just a better product than Ken and Barbie, in the same respect Facebook was a better product than MySpace.
    Only Ken and Barbie are a romantic couple and He-Man and She-Ra are siblings. Which seems to be a significant difference to me.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    He-man and She-ra did not have to be siblings. If Mattel was trying to appeal to girls, they would have done much better to make them a romantic couple, to compete with Ken and Barbie. I'm certain Adam and Adora would have crushed Ken and Barbie in the marketplace because they could transform for one thing, and they were just more interesting, more multi-faceted characters with dual identities. He-man and She-ra had superpowers and super strength, and super looks. They would still have been prince (ie. by birth) and princess (ie. by marriage), just like King Randor and Queen Marlena. What little girl doesn't dream of marrying a prince (ie. showing up one day out of nowhere and sweeping her off her feet). Also, people are intrigued by royalty; that's probably why the royal family in England has captured our attention for all these years. We liked Princess Diana because she wasn't born into royalty and therefore could connect to the common people, and we were happy for her when she married a prince. It's the knight-on-a-white-horse syndrome.

The fact that Adam would have been a prince and Adora a regular girl would have made it a compelling storyline. People like that idea. Also, Adam being raised by good people and Adora brought up by bad people, and then coming together would have attracted viewers by the millions.

Adora and Adam as a couple would have had a lot more going for them than Ken and Barbie. A lot more. It's not even close.

That's what would have saved the show long enough to give us many more Filmation episodes and our happy ending.

But it would have fundamentally changed key aspects of who Adora is. Who would her parents have been? Why would Hordak have taken her? There would not have been the same connection that Adam and Adora felt, or a bond there either. They could have accomplished 95% of what you are suggesting just by putting Adam and Teela together and giving her a power sword.

Barbie and Ken are literally a household name, and have been around since my mother was a child. I really don't think that He-Man and She-Ra as a couple could have taken that spot. Barbie also has the advantage of being in a modern setting. Sure you can play princess with She-Ra, but Barbie can go to the mall, drive a sports car, play sports, or whatever.

Bottom line, making Adam and Adora lovers and losing the sibling aspect would not likely have dethroned Barbie. I also don't know that it would have kept Filmation going longer because even if they were lovers as opposed to siblings, She-Ra would have still been needed to stay on Etheria and fight the Horde, while He-Man would be needed on Eternia, so you still would have had a split and still would have likely seen the shows go the same course that they did. Plus I just feel that it changes too much of what makes Adora special.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Heroic Warrior
    Teela could NOT have taken Adora's place. Teela was cold, abrasive, and temperamental. Adora was warm, caring, patient, kind, understanding, and loving.

Sure she could of, in the pure marketing sense of what you suggested. Or they could have just had Teela start being more "warm and caring", maybe through some kind of character growth arc. It would be a less drastic change than altering who Adora is and where she comes from just so she could be He-Man's girlfriend/wife.

The reality is that they were written as siblings. They are the "Twins of Power", not the "Power Couple". I think that it gives both He-Man and She-Ra a very compelling story.

Adora was warm, caring, patient, kind, understanding, and loving.
    So that is why she was glad when He-man got shot when they first met!
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

i think there is some overlap between girls who like barbie and girls who like she-ra, but i don't think one could replace the other, much as i'd love to believe she-ra could! some little girls just like barbie stuff. i had some, but i much preferred she-ra, and those toys got so much more playtime. i loved that he-man and she-ra were brother/sister. it would have changed the show to make them romantic, and their origin of power wouldn't make as much sense. you could say, their power runs in the family!

anyway, it is what it is, but i'd love to see an updated she-ra cartoon. it's loooong overdue!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------