Thread: Sooo...hedgehog?

Sooo...hedgehog?

Saw a hedgehog the other day. Outside. Just...walkin' around. It was at a large park while the wife and I were walking the dog (THANK GOD we saw it before the dog did - for both parties involved). Now I have never seen one in the wild, and wasn't sure about where they are usually found...but according to Wikipedia, they aren't found in america. Makes sense, 'cause this one honestly was not as worried about the dog as a little guy like that should have been.

In fact, these pics were very easy to get. He didn't care about us barely at all. At best he paused and gave us a glance to see what we would do, but there was no running or scurrying away. Just...kept on sniffin' the ground for bugs (I assume) and waddling on his merry way.

Now of course...I guess this had to be a released pet? Which sucks, 'cause I wasn't sure at the time. Poor thing might die out there....unless he's been out there the whole time. Hard to say. Maybe he knows how to hybernate? Do they do that? I mean we're still getting out of winter here. Good thing for him at least, is that he is the exact color of the dead grass. Camo! I guess.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring this up. Very curious.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I would call the Humane Society or a local wildlife organization, and ask if they can survive. They're usually pretty helpful about these kinds of things. Let them know there's a hedgehog in your neighbourhood and ask what you should do if you see him again.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I would hope it's not been released, according to the wikipedia article in the areas that hedgehogs have been introduced, like New Zealand, the critters are destructive force. Alien species are a major problem because they lack natural predators, such as the growing snakehead problem in the Potomac River and other US waterways.

Giving a local shelter is worth a call, if it's a lost pet hopefully the owner is looking for it.

Aww that is so cute.

I LOVE Hedgehogs and have seen loads in my lifetime, tho that is because I live in England where they are found. Tho it is sad to say that they are becoming more and more rare, this is a great shame as they are absolutely GORGEOUS animals.

Still I agree with the others, you should give somewhere a call because if these little cuties do not belong in the wilds of your country then there has to be a reason it is there.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I agree that you should get in touch with local animal control or wildlife authorities, because the poor little bugger doesn't deserve Michigan weather!

Just don't contact the DNR; even with pictures they won't believe you! Have pictures of a cougar on your trail cams? "No cougars here; move along." Got a dead wolverine? "Must be here by accident; move along."
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Throw some gold rings at it and see if it starts running and turns into a ball!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post

Just don't contact the DNR; even with pictures they won't believe you! Have pictures of a cougar on your trail cams? "No cougars here; move along." Got a dead wolverine? "Must be here by accident; move along."
    Happens around here too. "No cougars here", they even had the temerity to say to someone who had run into one in their car and had the body with them.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I agree that you should get in touch with local animal control or wildlife authorities, because the poor little bugger doesn't deserve Michigan weather!
    Seeing as they're found wild in the UK, weather in the Northern Mid-West states shouldn't pose much of an issue for a hedgehog (also why they could a big problem if they became an invasive species)

It's probably drowned after today....
    "Milk that cow, George, milk it! MOO!!" ~ Optimus-Prime's response to the announcement of 3D versions of the Star Wars films.