Thread: life size power sword, shield etc

life size power sword, shield etc

It seems unlikely that Mattel will release a full size sword or other accessories any time soon. I've seen some great examples of swords that people have made on this forum and elsewhere, but they are usually made in metal, and/or a 'one of a kind' that people have done with their own design or a basic template. Has anyone done a 3D model of the classics sword that could be used on a site like shapeways that someone else (like me!) could use to print a plastic 3d model of it from? Has anyone else had any experience with 3D printing and modelling?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Matt

IDK if anyone's doing, but it sure would be cool.

I have experience with 3D modelling and printing. While it sounds cool, Shapeways doesn't offer prints that size. You'll have to break it up in smaller pieces and assemble it yourself.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Yeah I saw that they only print up to a length of 70cm, but the design of the sword is such that a hilt and blade piece could be printed separately? Obviously that requires that you have a pretty good model so that the end pieces match up well. I saw a minature original toy sword that someone had modelled on there, the design of it is pretty much the classics sword plus a hilt guard, any ideas whether that 3d model could be scaled up into two larger pieces?
    http://www.shapeways.com/model/19345...ductBox-search
    I tried contacting the designer directly, but no answer yet.
    Can you suggest a better way to go about it Neo?

I'm not sure if you're interested, but I'm working on a life size power sword at the moment. It's somewhat based off the Classics one, but not exactly. I plan on offering some copies for those that are interested.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...le-Power-Sword

Hey Maul,
    After posting this I found your thread, and I love where you are going with your sword so far. It definately looks better now that you have flattened the profile and I think the proportions look great now you've lengthened it as well. I was looking to re-create the original toy sword design/classics sword design that mattel has been showing off. It seems that no one has modelled and scaled up the toys themselves, and now that I have priced 3-D printing I can see why - roughly $1500 to print something this size at present. So it looks like the only way to reproduce the toy in a larger scale is the way you are going about it!
    If you make a mold of this I'd definately be interested. And if you are looking to justify this project to the mrs, I'd definately be interested in a lifesize reproduction of the shield and axe too. I think they'd make great wall hangers, in all their plasticy goodness - esp ahead of the castle this christmas!