Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Gardening Thread

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Picked some Asparagus and Broccoli and pulled 2 green onions. Here are some pics:

Attachment 85140

Attachment 85141

Attachment 85142

Attachment 85143

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asparagus spears always turn into a fern-like bush if they aren't picked soon enough. How many years ago did you plant your Asparagus? That helps determine how long your picking season should be. The first 2 years you aren't supposed to pick at all and should just let it fern-out. During Year 3 you can pick spears for about 3-4 weeks and then let them fern-out. During Year 4 you can pick spears for 6-8 weeks and then let them fern-out.

Also, what do you mean your asparagus "sprouted without you doing anything"? I have had asparagus my whole life and it has always sprouted without me doing anything. It is a perennial and comes back year after year on its own.
    Maybe that is why I have never really gotten much out of it yet. It grows but it goes to bushy before it goes to spears. I've only had it two years so maybe this year it will grow again.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Here are some updated pics of my garden. It is coming right along. I would also LOVE for others to post pics of their garden as well.

In this pic: potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, and okra
    Attachment 85194

In this pic: pole green beans and tomatoes
    Attachment 85195

In this pic: peppers, tomatoes, pole green beans, cucumbers, potatoes, onions, squash, zucchini, broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, and okra
    Attachment 85196

In this pic: peppers, tomatoes, and pole green beans
    Attachment 85197
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Okay, what is going on with my hens 'n chicks?? They're such hardy succulents that last through every weather condition and you don't even have to do anything to 'em! Flood in the summer, bake in the summer, freeze in the winter, they just stay through anything.

So what in the heck is goin' on here?? I had 2 big planters that nothing was doing well in, even these which were the latest tries, so I finally gave up on those planters and split apart these hens 'n chicks and repotted them into different pots.

Now, not all of them are "rotting", only some of them. And I've used the same succulent potting soil for all of them. So I don't understand what is happening to these victimized ones? You can see what they look like, and they really stink too. I've gotten rid of all the ones that looks like this, but there are still a few that are starting in. So what's the deal??

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Nice!!! You are so far ahead of me. Just strawberries and some herbs yet. Keep us posted.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Okay, what is going on with my hens 'n chicks?? They're such hardy succulents that last through every weather condition and you don't even have to do anything to 'em! Flood in the summer, bake in the summer, freeze in the winter, they just stay through anything.

So what in the heck is goin' on here?? I had 2 big planters that nothing was doing well in, even these which were the latest tries, so I finally gave up on those planters and split apart these hens 'n chicks and repotted them into different pots.

Now, not all of them are "rotting", only some of them. And I've used the same succulent potting soil for all of them. So I don't understand what is happening to these victimized ones? You can see what they look like, and they really stink too. I've gotten rid of all the ones that looks like this, but there are still a few that are starting in. So what's the deal??

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/3230/photo3is.jpg
    Sempervivum (Hen and Chicks) usually only fall prey to one thing and that is overwatering. If they are overwatered then the roots and plants will begin to rot. If they begin to rot then they need to be re-potted (just as you did), BUT make sure you remove ALL of the old soil from the pot and especially from the plants root system by using water to wash it off. Also, remove ALL rotting roots and foliage. Then re-pot with new, DRY soil. After re-potting, do NOT water the plants at all for 1 week and then after that time has passed you can begin to slowly add water back in. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Nice!!! You are so far ahead of me. Just strawberries and some herbs yet. Keep us posted.
    Thanks. I would love to see pics of your strawberries and herbs. I am a garden geek

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Thanks, MOTU...now I know in case it ever happens again! lol

It's funny though, you wouldn't think overwatering would be an issue with 'em cause they sit out in nature all year 'round and thrive and thrive! (usually, lol)
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Here are some pics of some veggies I just picked:

Green Bell Peppers, White Onion, and Red Potatoes
    Attachment 85654

Red Tomato and Red Potatoes
    Attachment 85653

**I will also be picking yellow squash, cucumbers, and green beans in the next few days.

Motu-Maniac, nice start

Being in upstate NY I got some time before things are ready to be picked. However, my broccoli is super close. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the pumpkins too so that I dont get those bloody beatles on them and it kills them
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

After two years of trying to get my garden going, I find out I am going to have to move the whole darn thing. From Kansas to Louisiana. Just put in my blackberry bushes and now I don't know if I will ever get to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Motu-Maniac, nice start

Being in upstate NY I got some time before things are ready to be picked. However, my broccoli is super close. I'm trying to keep a close eye on the pumpkins too so that I dont get those bloody beatles on them and it kills them
    Thanks.

And hope you catch the beetles early

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    After two years of trying to get my garden going, I find out I am going to have to move the whole darn thing. From Kansas to Louisiana. Just put in my blackberry bushes and now I don't know if I will ever get to enjoy them.
    What's in Louisiana? All of my mom's side of the family is there and I loved going to visit. Hopefully the relocation is smooth.

Thanks.
    What's in Louisiana? All of my mom's side of the family is there and I loved going to visit. Hopefully the relocation is smooth.
    My day job is moving there. Since I'm not officially the pastor of any church and so I can't go pastoring full time I have to go with it. I don't really mind moving to Louisiana I just feel frustrated about leaving the garden I worked so hard to establish behind.

Louisiana itself seemed quite nice from the short visit I had there prior to making the decision to move.

Just picked some more veggies from the garden. Meal planned for tonight (Stuffed Bell Peppers) and tomorrow (Vegetable Stir-Fry).

Tomatoes, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Green Beans, Cucumber, Red Potatoes, and Bell Peppers

My day job is moving there. Since I'm not officially the pastor of any church and so I can't go pastoring full time I have to go with it. I don't really mind moving to Louisiana I just feel frustrated about leaving the garden I worked so hard to establish behind.
    I totally understand. It is hard to leave something behind when you worked so hard on it. Hopefully after the move you will be reinvigorated to start anew.

Those are some good-looking vegetables, MOTU_Maniac. Most of mine are just getting planted. I have planted tomatoes, peas, sweet potatoes, beans, cucumbers, peppers, carrots and corn. Got some fruit on a couple tomato plants but nothing else yet. Got some onions and garlic left over from last year because I just left them there last fall and they kept on growing, but they aren't "new" crops.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; July 3, 2013 at 11:28am.

Nice harvests!
    I've harvested Gai lan, pak choi, breakfast radishes, mustard, sorrel, and spinach. I've had to start a second crop of those since they have bolted on me. I've also enjoyed a harvest of rainbow Swiss chard, Tuscan kale, several lbs of strawberries, all my herbs, and my hot wax peppers & Serrano peppers. My tomato vines are heavy with green tomatoes I hope to be enjoying shortly.

This has been a good year in the garden so far.

Those are some good-looking vegetables, MOTU_Maniac. Most of mine are just getting planted. I have planted tomatoes, peas, sweet potatoes, beans, cucumbers, peppers, carrots and corn. Got some fruit on a couple tomato plants but nothing else yet. Got some onions and garlic left over from last year because I just left them there last fall and they kept on growing, but they aren't "new" crops.
    Thanks

And sounds like you have planted quite a bit. So, when do you move and have to say goodbye to the garden?

Nice harvests!
    I've harvested Gai lan, pak choi, breakfast radishes, mustard, sorrel, and spinach. I've had to start a second crop of those since they have bolted on me. I've also enjoyed a harvest of rainbow Swiss chard, Tuscan kale, several lbs of strawberries, all my herbs, and my hot wax peppers & Serrano peppers. My tomato vines are heavy with green tomatoes I hope to be enjoying shortly.

This has been a good year in the garden so far.
    Thanks

It does sound like you have had quite a year so far. Would love to see some photos my friend

Hummm, most of the time it's just a little here and there so no photos like you have. But I did snap a few of the larger harvests.

DSC01560.jpgDSC01568.jpgDSC01579.jpgDSC01585.jpg

Hummm, most of the time it's just a little here and there so no photos like you have. But I did snap a few of the larger harvests.
    Wow! Nice spread! I'm very impressed.

After growing up on a produce farm with almost 5 acres of strawberries, it's hard not being able to grow them. The rabbits and squirrels always take a bite of every berry right before it is fully ripened and ready for picking.

Gah! That would get to me too. I've recently started spraying hot pepper wax on my greens since Honey Bun and Cinnamon Bun have gone to graze. But I couldn't keep up with all the rain. So recently I sprinkled a little fox urine and poof! No squirrels digging up sprouts, no bunnies leveling greens, and no skunks just passing by.

I've only being "curing" the garden for two weeks, but so far so good.

Thanks

And sounds like you have planted quite a bit. So, when do you move and have to say goodbye to the garden?
    Hopefully not until after growing season is done

Here is a pic of my morning harvest and then a pic of my lunch. YUM!!!

That cheese ain't from yo garden, homie!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Oh shush...lol.

Nonetheless, thanks for visiting the gardening thread.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I'm no gardener, but I sure like garden-fresh stuff. Love garden-fresh tomatoes.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

It is way cool to be able to go out and get food fro the garden. I got broccoli tonight. I just wish I could do this all year round.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Here are some pics of all of the veggies I picked from my garden for my State Fair entries.

If you want to see my actual State Fair entries then you can go HERE.